As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    A second lockdown must absolutely come with a u-turn on furlough extension. If it doesn't then we will see an economic catastrophe at the same time as a healthcare one

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    I thought a few of his kids were quantum entangled?

Yeah thats why he only has to support 4 out of the plausible 6.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Although there was a followup saying it wasn't SAGE's job to predict demand
    It's not my job to predict the weather, but I can still look at the clouds and think 'Hmm, maybe it's about to rain, I should plan accordingly'.

I have been out and working as a frontline worker for the whole of this pandemic. The last 3 months, I've been in 4 days a week. My daughter went back to school, caught some (horrible) cold and Sunday last week developed symptoms and had a temperature. Phoned 111 and got told to isolate (the bug then went on infect my wife and other daughter) until we got a test.

The problem was, we could not get a test anywhere. Quite a few people kept on saying "buy you could try this testing place" and I kept on having to say "I know where they are, they just aren't offering appointments". We got lucky in my wife's workplace having a spare kit, so got the (negative) result Friday morning, but the amount of times I had a line manager ring me up and tell me this....

It's farcical that this couldn't be predicted. They must know it can't be like this come winter....(it's totally going to be like this).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My ex was given the option of three testing sites: Selby (nearish York where she lives), North Devon, or Llandudno

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Public apathy is also definitely on the rise.
    I went to get takeaway from my local chip shop, and I was the only person there wearing a mask.
    What truly elevated it was hearing two of the people ahead of me talking about it and the inevitable lockdown that's going to come when Boris finally decides he can't ignore it any longer, and one of them lamented that they were in Asda and saw maybe a dozen people not wearing masks, and people just aren't taking it seriously anymore, etc.
    I wanted to scream at him that he wasn't wearing a mask, and neither was the person he was talking to, but I didn't because they were both bigger than me.
    I'm not convinced that the human race wants to survive all that badly.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    As grim as it may sound we should be seeing fewer deaths with each wave as there's less elderly and infirm people left for it to kill. The first wave already went through the care homes like wildfire, the simple fact is there will be less elderly people in them to be killed this time around.

They're trying their hardest to get the rest.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I seriously doubt that 50,000 deaths makes up the majority of the older population.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Solar wrote: »
    A second lockdown must absolutely come with a u-turn on furlough extension. If it doesn't then we will see an economic catastrophe at the same time as a healthcare one
    Just before Christmas...

That carehome thing is mad, was going to say - perhaps they mean those that have had a positive antibody test. But no, diagnosed, tested and symptomatic!

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    If they stay out of hospitals you see, the NHS won't be swamped so shit-head people can point this out in future...

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    A more charitable re-read is "you need to be prepared, because this will happen - like it happened before".
    Plus we can't care for them here without losing winter beds and infecting vulnerable people and key workers.

They have to go somewhere, and it's either to relatives or a place that is hopefully equipped with time to prepare.
    Dark choice to have to make though.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The hospital sent my two covid-positive grandparents home to be cared for by my 61 year old, asthmatic, covid-negative aunt when they were ill. So that doesn't surprise me.

Hospitals probably don't have the room or staff to just keep them all in.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Maybe if we didn't have a screaming care crisis and public health being torn apart at the seams by demand, both caused by ten years of Tory austerity, 50,000 people wouldn't have had to die

This should be our generation's poll tax moment. These absolute cunts are killing us with their incompetence, arrogance and stupidity, and they should all be tossed into a pit to rot forever.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Solar wrote: »
    Maybe if we didn't have a screaming care crisis and public health being torn apart at the seams by demand, both caused by ten years of Tory austerity, 50,000 people wouldn't have had to die

This should be our generation's poll tax moment. These absolute cunts are killing us with their incompetence, arrogance and stupidity, and they should all be tossed into a pit to rot forever.

The problem with that analogy is that it took eight years from the poll tax's introduction to get the Tories out of power.

No, wait, that might be another accurate bit...

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    So I’m assuming the lack of pre-leaked blow softeners means the special corona announcement this morning will be a stern talking to rather than any concrete action.

Pathetic.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Tory donor Lubov Chernukhin linked to $8m Putin ally funding
    The husband of one of the Conservative Party's biggest donors was secretly funded by a Russian oligarch with close ties to President Putin.

Lubov Chernukhin has given £1.7m to the Tories, including paying to spend time with the last three prime ministers.

Leaked files show her husband received $8m (£6.1m). The money initially came from a politician facing US sanctions due to his closeness to the Kremlin.

Her lawyers say the donations are not tainted by Kremlin influence.
    Brace yourself for this scandal to go absolutely nowhere.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I swear to God I remember a time when the political class experienced consequences for their actions.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Also, just adding on to the "this is a real shitty time for the second wave to be starting" bandwagon, four Scottish universities have had Covid outbreaks before freshers' week had even finished.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I swear to God I remember a time when the political class experienced consequences for their actions.

Do you? I don't.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can remember a minister resigning because she said she wasn't up to the job.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Looks like we're heading fora second lockdown, or mini lockdown, or circuit break, or whatever your want to call it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54234084
    The UK could see 50,000 new coronavirus cases a day by mid-October without further action, the government's chief scientific adviser has warned.

Sir Patrick Vallance said that "would be expected to lead to about 200 deaths per day" a month after that.

Meanwhile here in Wales, another 4 counties are to go into lockdown. Which means *checks notes* almost the entire south of the county, and the vast majority of the population with it, are under lockdown with the notable exception of Cardiff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54234993
    Four more counties in south Wales will go into lockdown from 18:00 BST on Tuesday.

Merthyr Tydfil, Bridgend, Blaenau Gwent and Newport will have the same restrictions as Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Here in Cardiff it feels a bit like the isle of denial. We can't be far behind considering you can't really leave the city without hitting a lockdown

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    The first PM I really remember following was Blair, that guy got away with actual war crimes. Sure he lost his job as PM but he had ten years in the job, left of his own accord and went right into a profitable speaking career. Brown didn't really have the time or opportunity to fuck much up. Cameron shafted the entire country for generations and the only reason he left the job was because he didn't want to clear up the mess he made. The bog standard pillaging of the nation's riches went on under Mays rule as well as the pain caused by austerity and the truly heinous human rights violations she inflicted on immigrants, she faced no punishment. As for Boris obviously we don't know how that story ends yet but I can confidently predict it won't be in any punishment for the crimes he's already committed let alone the rest that will happen on his watch.

These people have no accountability and they never had. Even when circumstances compel them to jump it still happens on their own terms with golden parachutes to drop them gently into lives of comfort and privilege.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Brown got held to account for... calling a bigot a bigot

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    Looks like we're heading fora second lockdown, or mini lockdown, or circuit break, or whatever your want to call it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54234084
    The UK could see 50,000 new coronavirus cases a day by mid-October without further action, the government's chief scientific adviser has warned.

Sir Patrick Vallance said that "would be expected to lead to about 200 deaths per day" a month after that.

Meanwhile here in Wales, another 4 counties are to go into lockdown. Which means *checks notes* almost the entire south of the county, and the vast majority of the population with it, are under lockdown with the notable exception of Cardiff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54234993
    Four more counties in south Wales will go into lockdown from 18:00 BST on Tuesday.

Merthyr Tydfil, Bridgend, Blaenau Gwent and Newport will have the same restrictions as Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Here in Cardiff it feels a bit like the isle of denial. We can't be far behind considering you can't really leave the city without hitting a lockdown

Anecdotally, people here (also in Cardiff) are also not adopting masks or anything like that either. It's only a matter of time.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Gasp.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Problem is that in a lot of our political institutions, the rules basically say "you shouldn't".

And politicians are now starting to ask "OK.. but what if we did?"

and the response is "But.. you shouldn't!"

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Yeah we got real high on our own supply with 'that's just not done here' and woops turns out it is

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular

And therein lies the problem. Any Labour leader has to be nigh on perfect or they'll be tarred and feathered by the rags. Tory leaders on the other hand can do no wrong - just look at johnson and the near constant stream of lies, fuck ups, corruption, racism, sexism... etc. It's a level of constant propaganda that would have made the soviet union blush.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    On the right, those are features, not bugs.

• Options
    Tory leaders get criticised constantly (though not usually by the Tory press). It's not the lack of criticism, it's the fact that Tory voters either a) don't care or b) laud them for their worst traits.

Johnson has been pictured as a clown on tabloid front pages, was called a cunt on a BBC show (by Frankie Boyle) the other week and has been getting seriously bad reviews from places like the Times (and the Spectator, but that was because he's not the good old lollercoaster Johnson they love) of late. The press is, taken as a whole, certainly biased, but it's not like no one is criticising the Tories.

• Options
    If anything, it isn't the press that's been the problem recently so much as the absolute refusal on the part of a large segment of the population to give a shit that they're being blatantly, demonstrably lied to. You can tell the truth all you like but you can't make people believe it.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    If anything, it isn't the press that's been the problem recently so much as the absolute refusal on the part of a large segment of the population to give a shit that they're being blatantly, demonstrably lied to. You can tell the truth all you like but you can't make people believe it.

But you can lie all you like and make people believe it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    People believe what they want to believe, and no one wants to believe that things really are that bad right now. Especially folks that have been convinced that things are going well for them right now.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    No one wants to believe that the responsibility for things going/being bad lies with themselves. They'd rather die in denial than admit to being wrong

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

With the added benefit of 'well, if was really that bad then surely they would have been sacked' making the refusal to resign proof that you didn't need to resign.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Expected to be announced tomorrow that Pubs, Bars and Restaurants to shut at 2200 nationwide.

I assume they'll be other measures.

Seems the concernnis that another full lockdown will destroy the restaurant/bar industry

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    If we slap enough sticking plasters on this gaping wound, eventually the blood will stop coming out, right?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    If we slap enough sticking plasters on this gaping wound, eventually the blood will stop coming out, right?

Well... yeah.

Cause eventually there's no blood left, and the heart fails.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Expected to be announced tomorrow that Pubs, Bars and Restaurants to shut at 2200 nationwide.

I assume they'll be other measures.

Seems the concernnis that another full lockdown will destroy the restaurant/bar industry

I’m sure drinking with friends from 4 to 10 pm will help, whereas drinking with friends from 4 to 1am would clearly keep us on our path to destruction, so I guess I can relax.

Although not much, since 4 people at work tested positive for Covid on Thursday last week, after having been in work the previous few weeks. Our managers announced they’ve looked into it internally, and sent a few people home after they were in contact with the sick people. But not the people who were sitting a few fucking feet away in the previous weeks. No mention if the NHS track and trace people have been contacted, all handled internally.

I’m sure the fact we are drowning in work and are understaffed did not affect their very light touch when it came to playing it safe.

One girl asked if she should go home after accidentally desk sharing with one of the people, and was told no, unless she starting showing symptoms.

But pubs are shutting a few hours early, so it’s fine.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Bethryn wrote: »

A plaster at least does something. This is going to be as effective as a rub from Mummy’s magic hankie.

@M-Vickers

Bear in mind the danger zone for asymptomatic spread is only considered to be 48 hrs before symptoms appear. I don’t want to infer too much from a single forum post, but if you’re really worried your employer is ignoring the rules to a dangerous level you can report to the HSE.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, help me understand... Pubs closed, people told to work from home if can, but schools still in-person? Does this not seem particularly half-assed?

Colour me shocked...

This discussion has been closed.