As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    So how much as been spent on trying to avoid this great option which is the literal least we could possibly get?

Worse than that, from what I remember back the pre-Brexit negotiations where happening I think there was an issue where even crashing out to WTO terms wasn't exactly going to be seamless (ignoring the necessity of developing the paperwork and the customs infrastructure) because WTO Tariff Rate Quotas (where X amount of a good is taxed at 10% and any additional imports above that number get a higher rate) were assigned to the EU as a whole, so those TRQ's need to be divided up between the UK and the rest of the EU. Even a no-deal Brexit will require making a deal with the EU. Good times.

It needs the agreement of the WTO as a whole. To a certain degree it doesn't matter whether the EU and UK agree.

The UK proposal was that they should be divided up in line with historic trade flows (e.g. if the trq for New Zealand lamb exported to the EU is 1,000,000 tons, and historically 10% of NZ lamb exports to the EU ended up in the UK, then the TRQs should be UK 100,000 tons, EU 900,000 tons)

This has been specifically objected to by a number of WTO members, who generally make two points:
    - they don't see why their EU TRQs should be unilaterally reduced as the result of an internal EU political decision
    - this arrangement is disproportionately favourable to the UK, as it grants the UK TRQs negotiated using the EU's size and bargaining power, which the UK would not be able to secure if it was negotiating alone as a smaller entity with reduced bargaining power

I haven't actually kept up with what was happening with those discussions, so things may have moved on

This would be hilarious if it wasn't sad.

UK: "Fine EU, if you don't play ball, we'll leave, and continue on WTO terms!"
    World: "Woooh there buddy! Those terms are WAAY too good for you, let us discuss something more appropriate for you"
    UK: "Don't worry people, this WTO deal is oven-ready, easiest ever!"
    UK internally: (Is there a below WTO standard we can fall back on?)

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

If you have responsibilities with regards to the amended rules that come into force on the 4th of July, for instance if you are:
    - a licensee of a pub
    - the operator of any other business that is now allowed to open
    - the police

You have nine hours to digest this newly published statutory instrument and confirm that the arrangements you have put in place enable you to operate legally

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Is there a reason they couldn't put Leicester city boundary +20-50 miles under full lockdown again rather than coming up with another new set of rules, or am I oversimplifying this?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Leicester city boundary plus 20 miles includes parts of at least one other city and lots of towns.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Ah that'd do it. Sometimes I forget just how small we are as a country.

101 on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Seems the kind of area that you'd probably want to lockdown a larger area around anyway. From the people I know in the area, I thought that Coverntry/Birmingham and Leicester have quite a lot of overlap.
    I think more than a few people live in one city but work in another, and definitely have family spread across all three.

I've not seen anything suggesting how fine the data is, other than it being the areas that would report into Leicester city/county council?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Has everyone seen the case re. this Safiyya Shaikh

I have to say

I'm very disturbed by what has happened. As far as I can see a very disturbed young woman who has been encouraged and baited by undercover officers has been subject to a pretty severe miscarriage of justice. I can't see how putting her in prison for 14 years is remotely appropriate. A substance addict from a young age, from a family of substance addicts, subject to abuse as a child, a product of the care system... And I think the criticism that she was essentially set up has a lot of merit here. There were three people in her "conspiracy" and two of them were undercover police, there was no bomb, no actual way that she could commit the acts that she has been convicted of planning, and honestly they encouraged her.

I really think there's a big question that needs to be asked here; is this remotely acceptable behaviour from the police and is it acceptable that she's going to prison for 14 years when she hasn't actually done anything?

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    I've not read up on this case, but our prisons are full of people with treatable mental health issues, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were right and this is another troubled person sent to prison when a mental health section would be more appropriate.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This is both arrant colonialist nonsense and also an extremely accurate take

(David Allen Green is a legal expert and commentator, and if he keeps up like this may end up barred from south eastern Australia),

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    This is both arrant colonialist nonsense and also an extremely accurate take

(David Allen Green is a legal expert and commentator, and if he keeps up like this may end up barred from south eastern Australia),

I can't view that tweet (protected?), can you please copy the content?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oh, sorry. He must have locked his account down again.
    An “Australian-style trade arrangement” is like Australian rules football

The key is realising that there are no arrangements or rules

And from that, everything else follows

tynic on
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    I don't think that's worth discussing, he's just one of the many useless fbpe conspiracy theorists.

• Options
  • Options
    eEK! wrote: »
    I don't think that's worth discussing, he's just one of the many useless fbpe conspiracy theorists.

Unsure if sarcasm but I've never seen anything to suggest David Allen Green is a conspiracy theorist or an FBPE type

He's been pretty neutral on the referendum itself, albeit critical of the government's handling of the implementation of brexit

The substantive point is valid - Australia doesn't have a free trade agreement with the EU, only a number of sector or goods specific agreements (e.g. in relation to wine)

For the government to say it's pursuing an "Australia style deal" literally means they are pursuing a no-deal exit

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Also there’s close to 100 of those agreements and they have taken years if not decades to hammer out. The idea that the EU would just photocopy the AU paperwork and white out the country name is as delusional as every other fantasy about how the UK will be totes better off, you guys

Edit: a while back someone was pointing out on every mention of an “Australia-style Deal” that the phrase is exactly as meaningful as an “Outer Mongolia-style deal”. Bringing up Australia is supposed to make people feel vaguely positive thoughts about a colonial British country with first world living standards and nice beaches, and hope they forget that we have, you know, no particularly close affiliation with the EU

tynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    There's also the small matter that the UK economy and its high priority exports do not resemble those of Australia

Concessions in relation to wine or metal ores are not intrinsically useful to the UK, for example

Edit: top five exports from Australia to the EU to 2016:

https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/trade-investment/business-envoy/Pages/january-2018/australia-eu-trade-statistics

Goods
    -Gold
    -Coal
    -Oil seeds and oleaginous soft fruits
    -Wine and other alcoholic beverages
    -Lead

Services
    -Travel
    -Business
    -Transport
    -Personal, cultural & recreational
    -Other

Interestingly the gold exports go almost entirely to the UK, so that top five will change

Edit2:. Because an obvious area of similarity is Business Services

UK Business services exports to the EU in 2017 were £81bn, (about 89bn Euros) whereas Aus business services exports to the EU (2016) were ~AU$3bn (about 2bn Euros)

It's not hard to see why the EU may be less enthusiastic about granting similar services access to the UK when 1) it's industry is 45 times larger, and 2) it is not on the literal opposite side of the globe

japan on
  • Options
    Next week Boris announces a new uranium mine to open under Swindon.

• Options
    Green is on record as pretty sceptical of the EU, though since he’s not an idiot he’s been scathing of the way it’s been done.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Green is on record as pretty sceptical of the EU, though since he’s not an idiot he’s been scathing of the way it’s been done.

Any EU sceptic with half a brain cell should have realised long ago that any attempt to make intelligent decisions to deal with the actual flaws of the EU were thrown out the window immediately when the simpletons in charge realised that would require vast amounts of thought and effort. All we're left with now is a headlong rush to achieve any sort exit to appease the uneducated/elderly vote. Unfortunately for us the path of least resistance for Brexit is to just bungle the negotiations, let everything come crashing down and spend the next several decades trying to individually pat out the vast fucking bushfires this lazy political arson has caused.

So if you're one of the few people who voted for Brexit on reality based critisim of the EU and actually looked at these clowns and thought they would deliver something you'd like all I can say is... well done I guess? Big slow clap for you. We fucking told you so.

(And yes I'm aware there's zero of those people in this thread and I'm yelling at clouds)

• Options
    Fucking mental that pubs are open and theatres aren’t.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    My sister works in a theatre, and has been told that they might get the panto for christmas, but definitely nothing happening before that, so she's kinda shit outta luck once the furlough scheme stops.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Fucking mental that pubs are open and theatres aren’t.

alcoholism is way more prevalent than a need to criticize film in a cinema setting.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I felt most cinemas were biohazards even before covid was a thing...

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    OT: Further mum update:
    She passed away yesterday morning. Peacefully, in her sleep. She was still breathing at 6:30am so I left her to sleep. At 7:40am she wasn't breathing any more.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    OT: Further mum update:
    She passed away yesterday morning. Peacefully, in her sleep. She was still breathing at 6:30am so I left her to sleep. At 7:40am she wasn't breathing any more.

Fuck man. I’m so sorry.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    My condolences

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am sorry, Jazz, if there's anything we can do, no matter how small, let us know.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    My condolences, Jazz.

• Options
    Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. Love to you all. :heartbeat:

• Options
    Andy Burnham doing a DJ set on a charity stream is giving me pause to consider an alternative timeline where he won the Labour leadership instead of Corbyn

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So how are the pubs looking?

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Drove past a few pubs on the way to work, no social distancing what so ever.

Get to work, load up CCTV and immediately see a huge fight at a pub with about 50 people in a mass melee....

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Get to work, load up CCTV and immediately see a huge fight at a pub with about 50 people in a mass melee....

Not your driving you have to worry about...

• Options
    I stumbled on a set of short round table-style editorials written in the week post-brexit-vote from a variety of political perspectives.

I think the one that's aged most hilariously badly is T.J. Clark, who was a reluctant Lexit voter (because of Greece), and predicts gloomily that it will all come to nothing anyway, because Osborne and the rest of the back room brigade will no doubt quickly hammer out an agreement that leaves things basically as they are, legally and economically, and the UK will end up with almost zero disruption to the status quo.

Oh, buddy. Oh, my dude. If only.
    (He also calls May the UK's Hillary Clinton, which is nostalgically 90s in its reduction of a leader's capability, political goals, and ideological standpoint to nothing but their gender identity).

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    200704185622-ghislaine-maxwell-kevin-spacey-throne-room-exlarge-169.jpg
    CNN could not confirm why Maxwell and Spacey were at the palace. The paper reported the pair had been invited into the throne room by Prince Andrew, who has come under public pressure to explain his relationship with Epstein and allegations by one of his accusers, Virginia Roberts Giuffre. Giuffre has alleged that she was forced into sexual encounters with the prince and other men while she was underage. They all have denied the allegations.
    Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the photograph. A spokesperson for Prince Andrew also declined to comment.

Boy that is an awkward picture of Ghislaine Maxwell and Kevin Spacey sitting in a throne in -Buckingham Palace.-

Trace on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    That's Prince Andrew's modus operandi - he sat a lot of people on those thrones, including his "potential conquests." Made everybody think this was some extra-special he did just for them, sneak them into the throne room to secretly sit in the big chair, when he had everyone from business acquaintances to groomed teenage girls plopping their asses on the thing. It was and probably still is a sex aid for him.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Not your driving you have to worry about...

Well, looking at the pictures coming out of the UK today, I guess I shan't worry myself as to the ethics of fleeing the USA with my family...

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Chair of the Police Federation with the obvious:

Coronavirus: 'Crystal clear' drunk people will not socially distance

In other major developments, water is wet and the sun rose this morning.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    How's that Union of yours going? It's going well aye?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
This discussion has been closed.