As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Let is Snow

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So Jumpstart entries are effectively 4 rares* (mostly Historic though there are some standard cards in the pool) for the cost of 2 packs. You don’t get wildcards or progress on the wildcard meters, but you do get the special land art for each packet the first time you pick them, so that’s how to get stuff like the dog plains or phyrexian swamps

*= 2+ within the packets and one for each of your first two wins with the deck

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    What's the closest existing card that has the effect "Deal Some damage to any target. If the target was a creature or Planeswalker, get card(s) when it dies."?

Do you mean "draw a card/some card-equivalent effect" or "steal that object"?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I fucking love branching evolution.

And conclave mentor.

And wildwood scourge.

People keep thinking they can wait a turn before they deal with my critters

they cannot wait a turn before they deal with my critters

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    I fucking love branching evolution.

And conclave mentor.

And wildwood scourge.

People keep thinking they can wait a turn before they deal with my critters

they cannot wait a turn before they deal with my critters

You could say dealing with them quickly is critter-cal.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Got the full set on Sublime Epiphany yesterday

VIllage Rites, sacking a cat, with a Mayhem Devil on the field, and my own Elite Guardmage

Counter the rites, counter the Devil trigger, bounce the devil, copy my Elite Guardmage, draw a card

unffff i mean sex is great and all but

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Why is arcane denial in so many blue commander lists? I get that it's really cheap and easy to cast unconditional counter but letting them draw 2 seems really bad even if you draw 1. I guess there are scenarios where "I will counter this no matter the cost" but in most of those situations wouldn't say, negate, mana leak, or disdainful stroke do the same thing?

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    What's the closest existing card that has the effect "Deal Some damage to any target. If the target was a creature or Planeswalker, get card(s) when it dies."?

Do you mean "draw a card/some card-equivalent effect" or "steal that object"?

Draw a card, sorry.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Why is arcane denial in so many blue commander lists? I get that it's really cheap and easy to cast unconditional counter but letting them draw 2 seems really bad even if you draw 1. I guess there are scenarios where "I will counter this no matter the cost" but in most of those situations wouldn't say, negate, mana leak, or disdainful stroke do the same thing?

You can also counter your own spell to draw three cards.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Mainly because in Commander, you will absolutely lose the game if you're playing bog standard one-for-one cards and other people at the table are not. Arcane Denial is a 2 mana nonconditional blanket hard counter that is very easy to cast, and draws you a card. Them drawing two cards isn't as important as you drawing one card under a huge tarp of scenarios, the biggest ones being effects that limit or punish opponent card draw.

Also it's one of those cards that has potential political clout, and like mentioned above, can sometimes counter your own dumb thing to draw you 3 cards.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Another thing about Arcane Denial in Commander is that it is generally a multiplayer format. Using it doesn't give all of your opponents card advantage, it just gives one specific opponent card advantage, while also replacing itself for you. That's not a terrible trade in the kind of decks that want to police three players at once.

Plus, often, decks have cards that are absolutely must-counter and a lot of less relevant cards. The inconsistency of Commander means that one game-winning card is way more valuable than two random ones.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The basic land artwork from Unhinged is being reused for Double Masters but with a new frame. Available only in VIP boosters....

Also the full breakdown of what's in a VIP booster:

2 foil borderless rares/mythic rares (only found in VIP edition)
    2 foil rares/mythic rares
    8 foil uncommons
    9 foil commons
    10 full-art basic lands (only found in VIP edition, 2 of each basic)
    2 foil full-art basic lands (only found in VIP edition, 2 randomly selected from among the 10 options)
    2 foil tokens (only found in VIP edition, token on both sides)

jgeis on
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Mainly because in Commander, you will absolutely lose the game if you're playing bog standard one-for-one cards and other people at the table are not. Arcane Denial is a 2 mana nonconditional blanket hard counter that is very easy to cast, and draws you a card. Them drawing two cards isn't as important as you drawing one card under a huge tarp of scenarios, the biggest ones being effects that limit or punish opponent card draw.

Also it's one of those cards that has potential political clout, and like mentioned above, can sometimes counter your own dumb thing to draw you 3 cards.

I guess you'd rather definitely counter something that loses you the game and take a risk on whatever else they get. Also if they draw into something else equally game winning maybe another player can step in too. I started durdling around making a Rowan/Will superfriends deck and it was highly recommended but I couldn't figure out why.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    The basic land artwork from Unhinged is being reused for Double Masters but with a new frame. Available only in VIP boosters....

Also the full breakdown of what's in a VIP booster:

2 foil borderless rares/mythic rares (only found in VIP edition)
    2 foil rares/mythic rares
    8 foil uncommons
    9 foil commons
    10 full-art basic lands (only found in VIP edition, 2 of each basic)
    2 foil full-art basic lands (only found in VIP edition, 2 randomly selected from among the 10 options)
    2 foil tokens (only found in VIP edition, token on both sides)

There's another set of basics in them, but they are by Noah Bradley. The 10 nonfoil basics is one of each.

• Options
    If you're buying paper Jumpstart, you may find some significant printing errors:

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So disappointing to turn a $12 pack into hundreds of bucks.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    misprints ain't money til you find a collector interested

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    misprints ain't money til you find a collector interested

they're already in the replies

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Between that and the Void cards there appear to be some truly cool, obviously worth selling misprints in Jumpstart so far. Like, crimping or miscuts are nice, but blatantly double-printed or voided cards are the kind of misprints you can show off to even a casual player

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I guess you'd rather definitely counter something that loses you the game and take a risk on whatever else they get. Also if they draw into something else equally game winning maybe another player can step in too. I started durdling around making a Rowan/Will superfriends deck and it was highly recommended but I couldn't figure out why.

The other thing I'd point out is something I point out a lot when playing Coup, or any other free-for-all game. One card for you is worth the same as one card *for each opponent.* In Coup, it is -EV to call BS at the start of a 6 person game when you're 75% sure somebody is lying, because losing a single card yourself is 5x worse than getting rid of a single card from a single opponent.

Likewise, in a traditional 4-person game of Commander, drawing a card yourself is worth as much as denying a single draw to each opponent, and losing a card is worth the same as each opponent drawing one; this is why 1-for-1 answers are disadvantageous in Commander (but often very necessary for tempo). So Arcane Denial, which gives you one card but your opponents two cards, is actually slightly better than a straight counterspell because your draw is worth each opponent drawing one, or a single opponent drawing three.

Now, this isn't a perfect analogy; you'd obviously never want to run effects that draw your opponents more than you just for that effect, and there's a degree to which more draws for a single opponent lets them snowball. But there's enough nuance that Arcane Denial, in not-high-power-pods, is closer to an upside than a downside in Commander, or at least close enough to run because it's easier to cast than Counterspell.

(There's also the fact that people hate getting countered but don't mind when they draw 2 from it, which helps for grudge politics)

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    wooooo hit Mythic in limited for the first time evar

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    And I hit mythic in constructed with Black Devotion.
    WG57zp1.png

Phyrexian Tower has been great. Turn two Spawn or turn three Obliterator has really been tough for the opponent to answer.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    admanb wrote: »
    So disappointing to turn a $12 pack into hundreds of bucks.

I'm still sad I never went all in on blue hurricanes and green djinns since I was in the area of those.

I want to go back in time to young me and right as I'm about to trade a couple away for junk rares, just punch me in my stupid head

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Jump Start has added some real nice cards for my decks. Especially for Sultai. Gaining 6 health, drawing a few cards, and banking a free future black mana just off of one casting of Uro is mondo cool.

It's too bad I've drained all of my gold and gem reserves since Jump Start hit because I wanna keep playing that.

edit:

I had enough gems left for one more go and managed to get Milling/Teferi and that thing is nasty. Feels bad playing it hehe.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Muxus is a pretty ridiculous card in Historic. With a Skirk Prospector and a Wily Goblin, you can just win on turn 3 with a solid hit off of Muxus.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hope next brawl round is historic.

Cause I got a Tinybones in my jumpstart (discard and tree hugger , the draw heavy tree hugger. Deck mean)

But ya I want to try out Tinybones commander so bad now. Also it's an adorable little derp

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    First of this week's Double Masters previews are hitting the web.

First two that I saw were Champion of Lambholt and Grim Lavamancer, two cards that just got reprinted in Jumpstart.

Also you can get a common as a boxtopper!!

8nzjsz0lef3b.png

• Options
    NGL, being able to get special commons like that is actually a good thing.

Now, being boxtoppers? Kind of butt.

• Options
    I don't disagree with the spirit of it, but yeah, I feel like I would be pretty bummed if I spent $300 on a booster box and that was my box topper. It'll probably have decent value since it's unique to that product, but i can't imagine it fetching a crazy price.

• Options
    Honestly if commons can be box toppers, maybe make the box topper a little sealed booster pack of...5 cards? A rare/mythic, and then a random number of uncommons/commons as you see fit for distribution.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    isn't expedition map in a ton of commander decks and elsewhere? if they're doing commons like that i'd hope at least they're all major staples

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Honestly if commons can be box toppers, maybe make the box topper a little sealed booster pack of...5 cards? A rare/mythic, and then a random number of uncommons/commons as you see fit for distribution.

We heard you liked RNG reward schedules so we put an RNG on your RNG so you can gamble while you gamble! What? Abusing addicts? Us?...Of course! It's the model! (MTG is still a neat game I just get bummed about the business model sometimes, though I also saw first hand how difficult and unsustainable a living card game could be too)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Urzatron and Karn Liberated are being reprinted as showcase cards in Double Masters with this panoramic art from Mark Tedin:

q0dby8s1oid0.jpg

jgeis on
  • Options
    Whippy wrote: »
    isn't expedition map in a ton of commander decks and elsewhere? if they're doing commons like that i'd hope at least they're all major staples

It's good to find Urzatron in formats where both are legal (RIP Pauper).

• Options
    yh3yjjw12df8.png

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    I don't disagree with the spirit of it, but yeah, I feel like I would be pretty bummed if I spent $300 on a booster box and that was my box topper. It'll probably have decent value since it's unique to that product, but i can't imagine it fetching a crazy price.

I imagine it mostly fetches Urza's Tower

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Okay based on what I've learned about commander, there's basically no way Elsha monk/prowess tribal is very good unless you can give all those boys haste? Or is the prowess explosive enough to make up for that?

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Okay based on what I've learned about commander, there's basically no way Elsha monk/prowess tribal is very good unless you can give all those boys haste? Or is the prowess explosive enough to make up for that?

There's a bunch of ways to give them haste if you want. Maximize Velocity/Samuel's Sprint/Lightning Greeves all come to mind. I think Shu Yun is probably a better commander for prowess tribal through as he's cheaper, gives double strike and doesn't scream combo like Elsha does.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Anything tribal or based on creature-based combat besides Edric’s Flying Men and Najeela Technically Warriors is capped on effectiveness and can’t ever be high-level competitive.

Elsha Monk/Prowess tribal seems bad even by those standards, though, as besides Monastery Mentor there are basically no monks remotely good enough to be threatening in EDH via combat, and Elsha is much better when your deck is all spells you can actually cast off the top.

E: Also yes, Elsha is an extremely competitive commander and she will probably be blown up in short order.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Anything tribal or based on creature-based combat besides Edric’s Flying Men and Najeela Technically Warriors is capped on effectiveness and can’t ever be high-level competitive.

Elsha Monk/Prowess tribal seems bad even by those standards, though, as besides Monastery Mentor there are basically no monks remotely good enough to be threatening in EDH via combat, and Elsha is much better when your deck is all spells you can actually cast off the top.

E: Also yes, Elsha is an extremely competitive commander and she will probably be blown up in short order.

I will point that that high-level competitiveness (cEDH) is probably not what you're aiming for. Tribal decks are usually lower on the powerful level depending on how well the tribe is supported (elves and vampires can be scarily effective) but whether they are are going to be fun at your table is more about what other decks are being played.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    IMO the worst part of playing tribal (in paper) is keeping track of how big all your creatures are. Multiple Coat of Arms and lord effects, temporary buffs... monks might be the worst of all; Monastery Mentor pumps out tokens that all have different P/T (that turn, anyway)!

This discussion has been closed.