Options

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    At what point does the gpu become the thing we bolt to the case and slot the motherboard onto?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    This is actually one thing GB does that eats a lot of their time: They render their own videos into multiple qualities for their premium stuff.
    It sucks WFH, since then you have to chose to either upload a gigantic uncompresesd file to the big servers (takes forever, talking roughly 100gb/hour of content I believe) or crunch the files at home (also takes forever, but less taxing on your upload speed)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    We shouldn't even be needing an upgrade because all this shit has already smashed into diminishing returns like whoa and the constant graphics arms race to try and push people into buying more hardware is wasteful and shitty

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I wish that some PC gamers would be able to understand that some people just like the experience of gaming on consoles better.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I didn't lose my thumbs in the console wars so that we could be reasonable about other people's leisure preferences.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    When you buy a graphics card you still need

yknow, several hundred dollars of other things in order to play games with it

A comparison of console cost directly to video card cost is disengenuous

Or you could run around with it unplugged making pew pew laser sounds.

Is that a mini itx motherboard what the hell?

• Options
    Even if that is a mini itx Jesus Christ.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    As someone with a 1070, I'm probably gonna get a 3070 or 3060 next year

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wish that some PC gamers would be able to understand that some people just like the experience of gaming on consoles better.

If I can very easily plug in a console controller into my PC, either through a wired connection or wireless, and hook my PC up to my large TV, what's the difference?

• Options
    I'm never probably going to be able to reasonably afford anther console generation or pc upgrade again for the foreseeable future myself.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Anyway I think is a very uncharitable read on what Bakalar was saying, and I'm in agreement with him that (provided you have a PC, and no it doesn't even have to be a particularly amazing one) between $500-600 for a new console with essentially zero launch lineup or a $500 video card, most people will get more out of the video card because there will immediately be content that takes full advantage of that technology

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

If I can very easily plug in a console controller into my PC, either through a wired connection or wireless, and hook my PC up to my large TV, what's the difference?

Doesn't that necessitate constantly moving said PC around, or are you suggesting having a dedicated PC to hook up to your TV (and a secondary computer for... other computer stuff)?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Doesn't that necessitate constantly moving said PC around, or are you suggesting having a dedicated PC to hook up to your TV (and a secondary computer for... other computer stuff)?

you can have a tv next to a computer

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I guess? That seems really weird to me, but if it works for you?

Like, my TV is in my living room, I'm not going to set up a gaming desk in my living room, that's a lot of weird wasted space and so aesthetically jarring

• Options
    sounds like you just buy ugly desks you fool

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I mean I don't buy desks because I can't stand sitting at a desk, but I know that's my personal anomalous behavior

My point is more that for a lot of people, having a desktop computer (which at least I would consider a primarily solo activity) set up in a communal space that is designed for entertaining or families or what have you is restrictive, in its way

If your lifestyle supports that, hey, more power to you

But to me that seems way more obtrusive than having a console sitting in your entertainment center

• Options
    What other room would it go in?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020

The bedroom

Where shameful private things happen

Like gaming

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Or just buy a long cable

• Options
    i'm not putting something that lights up in my bedroom

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The Giantbomb people upgrading 1080s to 3080s is definitely some luxury spending. That is essentially $1000 on a 3 year cycle. Nobody needs that. For them it is a reasonable spend, they spend a lot of their time setting up tech to do their job, and if you have an overkill GPU you can skip the step of tuning graphics 99% of the time. For most people, $500 on a 4 year cycle is plenty.

But unless people are jumping to 1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz (which comes with additional monitor costs too), this may still be one generation too early.

It definitely depends on what you are playing too. I can imagine Warzone players getting a lot more out of better lowest 1% fps (which is usually when big fights are happening) than someone playing CK3 and it hitching for a sec when you zoom out too fast.

The 10 series came out in 2016. That works be $500 on a four year cycle going from 10 series to 30 series.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think buying a console is fine and I think buying a video card is fine.

Do with your money what you choose.

• Options
    i'm not putting something that lights up in my bedroom

I know the feeling actually! Lights keep me awake

Unluckily my ac unit is so bright anyway it doesn't much matter.

• Options

I would assume a bedroom or home office or something like that?

Like, my honest answer is beats me, that's why I don't have a PC, but I think that's where we're going to reach an impasse

• Options
    Do all your gaming on the terlet

• Options
    well look at mister moneybags over here with a home office room

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    This is my gamer chair
    p3gk76gjc07m.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I have a living room, and it's got a TV in it, but it honestly could have stopped working at some point in the past two years without me realizing it. I mostly socialize outside the house (well, in the Before Times) and if I do have people over the party's going to be at the dinner table.

I spend most of my down time at my desk in my office, which is why I spent a bunch of money on a giant luxurious corner desk.

I used to have a little TV perched up on a shelf above my computer monitor, and it was nice to just have the History Channel or a Star Trek marathon running while playing what are now podcast games.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    At what point does the gpu become the thing we bolt to the case and slot the motherboard onto?

The point in time where a GPU basically started becoming its own miniature computer tethered to the rest of the rig may have even been in the mid/late-00s, that was when they started the shift towards going from one big GPU die to a whole ton of little ones processing in parallel. That's part of the old gaming clickbait classic of "Why Crysis Still Brings Modern Gaming Rigs To Their Knees", because Crysis was the last enthusiast game to assume single--core architecture was the norm

this is also why Sony has been apparently making the PS5's architecture into one gigantic bespoke graphics card bound to a high-speed SSD, with as little in between the two as possible - Hence that Ratchet and Clank demo at not-E3 with as much focus on the high-speed loading and graphical fidelity as they could

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh good, Adam Sessler is doing a thing now with the G4TV reboot. Time for other games media folks to pretend like he never had a transphobic meltdown

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    When you buy a graphics card you still need

yknow, several hundred dollars of other things in order to play games with it

A comparison of console cost directly to video card cost is disengenuous

just got to this bit of the beastcast

the entire preceding conversation was about how the primary reason to get a 30 series card is if you already have a gaming PC with a pretty good CPU, but you haven't upgraded your GPU in a while

absolutely no one on the show implies that you should build a PC instead of getting a PS5 as some sort of better value proposition

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    well look at mister moneybags over here with a home office room

Hah fair. I sometimes forget how much of a privilege that is.

Though also I feel like whenever I do get around to replacing my PC I’m probably gonna get a laptop anyway. It’s portable and takes up less space.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

The point in time where a GPU basically started becoming its own miniature computer tethered to the rest of the rig may have even been in the mid/late-00s, that was when they started the shift towards going from one big GPU die to a whole ton of little ones processing in parallel. That's part of the old gaming clickbait classic of "Why Crysis Still Brings Modern Gaming Rigs To Their Knees", because Crysis was the last enthusiast game to assume single--core architecture was the norm

this is also why Sony has been apparently making the PS5's architecture into one gigantic bespoke graphics card bound to a high-speed SSD, with as little in between the two as possible - Hence that Ratchet and Clank demo at not-E3 with as much focus on the high-speed loading and graphical fidelity as they could

It's going to be pretty much the same with the new Xbox too, they are getting pretty much identical hardware, with Sony splurging on faster storage. Really all that even differentiates PCs and consoles at this point is a custom OS. The hardware at it's core is all the same now, just in different bespoke configurations.

I would NOT be surprised if at some point in the future in this generation if windows 10 allowed you to dual boot into the Xbox OS to make it easier to play your PC gamepass stuff on your TV.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    If you kids want some real high-end gaming experiences

What if I told you I could sell you on a game where the only budget is

Your imagination

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think I can afford that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Oh good, Adam Sessler is doing a thing now with the G4TV reboot. Time for other games media folks to pretend like he never had a transphobic meltdown

I really don't want to start keeping a list of all the assholes, but it's rapidly feeling like I need to keep a list of all the assholes.

• Options
    My imagination is still in hock to Sallie Mae.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    If you kids want some real high-end gaming experiences

What if I told you I could sell you on a game where the only budget is

Your imagination

My imagination needs to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Video games killed my imagination over 30 years ago

This discussion has been closed.