Options

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    If you kids want some real high-end gaming experiences

What if I told you I could sell you on a game where the only budget is

Your imagination

My imagination needs to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Ah yes, level 3, the simultaneously rotating cubes level

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think both the next-gen console and the 3000 series are a bit of an overspend, at least right now. I think they will get better over the next year.

Not many games seem to have ray-tracing built in. I hear about Control, and then stuff like Minecraft, where it's a neat addition, but at the end of the day it's Minecraft. 3000 series does seem to be the first hardware that can really pull off 4k/60, which is a nice landmark to hit. Of course, 4k monitors aren't real common yet. Very spendy for that whole setup. Most games out now and in the near future weren't developed with the next-gen consoles in mind first, which also probably puts a ceiling on performance.

The consoles are impressive technically, but the launch lineups for both seem to be real slim. Buying one this year, especially if you have a Ps4Pro/XB1X, seems like a waste. Almost everything is going to be cross-gen.

I think, if you're someone whose yearly gaming budget is in the hundreds of dollars range, that neither a new graphics card nor a new console is a good purchase in November. Save your money, buy some of the good late-generation games that have come out in the past year, or are coming out this fall. Let the new consoles sort themselves out and get established with a decent lineup of actual next-gen games/exclusives. Let other people deal with whatever hardware issues emerge with consoles or graphics cards. This time next year, I think consoles will be a better buy, or at least we'll be more informed about how they stand.

If you're someone whose budget runs in the $1000+ range yearly, someone who buys upgrades because you like new things, sure, buy the new things. I don't think any of PS5/XSX/Nvidia 3000 is going to be a bad investment, just not one that pays off immediately.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Oh good, Adam Sessler is doing a thing now with the G4TV reboot. Time for other games media folks to pretend like he never had a transphobic meltdown

I really don't want to start keeping a list of all the assholes, but it's rapidly feeling like I need to keep a list of all the assholes.

there are far too many assholes for one person to keep track of

just be receptive when marginalized folks go "hey this guy sucks actually" and you'll be fine

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The Giantbomb people upgrading 1080s to 3080s is definitely some luxury spending. That is essentially $1000 on a 3 year cycle. Nobody needs that. For them it is a reasonable spend, they spend a lot of their time setting up tech to do their job, and if you have an overkill GPU you can skip the step of tuning graphics 99% of the time. For most people, $500 on a 4 year cycle is plenty.

But unless people are jumping to 1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz (which comes with additional monitor costs too), this may still be one generation too early.

It definitely depends on what you are playing too. I can imagine Warzone players getting a lot more out of better lowest 1% fps (which is usually when big fights are happening) than someone playing CK3 and it hitching for a sec when you zoom out too fast.

a 3080 is set at $699 and the 1080 came out 4 years ago. The 3070 is $499.

Also, the capabilities of the RTX cards are way beyond just making things run faster. You cannot run ray tracing on a 1080, in any real capacity.

Edit:

Also, Jeff Bakalar did not even say that you should buy a video card over a console or that if you buy a console you are stupid.
    Ron Funches: I'm even thinking, at this point, do I want to get a PS5 or do I want to get a new graphics card

Jeff B: I mean, straight up, and this is just my opinion, and if you (people in general) think otherwise, I don't understand where you are coming from, if you are deciding between a next generation console and a 3080, there's nothing to think about, you should get the 3080. It will be a better experience out of the gate.

He wasn't saying that people should go out and build a computer, he was saying that if you are the person who does both and are deciding, a 3080 is better, in his opinion. If you don't like doing computer stuff or don't want to build a computer or prefer consoles, that's not what the statement was even about.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    why would you ever buy a graphics card when you can get them for free out of the trash

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely gonna just wait another month and get a 3070, my eyes wont notice the difference and i will definitely enjoy having two hundred extra dollars

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm gonna wait until there's a $250 card with ray tracing cores probably, and also I have money

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    GPU more like "Gee, Pee Yew!!" am I right

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You are right

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm gonna wait until there's a $250 card with ray tracing cores probably, and also I have money

Considering I still have a 1080 monitor and I'm only kind of considering a 1440, I'm thinking the eventual 3060 might be a better buy for me

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed in the internet for not being able to instantly furnish me with a picture of a Ewe in an F1 car

And I'm on my phone so I can't easily produce one myself

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The 3000 series seems like super beefy cards, but I got a 2070 already so it'll be less of an upgrade for me. I'm tempted, but I think I'll just wait 2 years for the 4000 series and just build a whole new machine. My PC will be five years old by that point, anyway.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    I wish that some PC gamers would be able to understand that some people just like the experience of gaming on consoles better.

If I can very easily plug in a console controller into my PC, either through a wired connection or wireless, and hook my PC up to my large TV, what's the difference?

Doesn't that necessitate constantly moving said PC around, or are you suggesting having a dedicated PC to hook up to your TV (and a secondary computer for... other computer stuff)?

you can have a tv next to a computer

Short list of games I couldn't play on PC this last console generation:

Bloodborne
    Uncharted 4
    God of War
    The Last of Us
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Street Fighter 5
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Marvel's Spider-Man

Also, several games like RDR2, Borderlands 3 and Monster Hunter: World debuted on console with long delays for PC release. The games I listed probably account for 70% of my time on PS4 with the other 30% being Witcher 3 and other cross-platform titles. Investing in a console anymore (especially Sony and Nintendo) is an investment in their first party content.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have a 980ti so it sounds like it'll be a pretty big upgrade for me if I get one?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If the US hasn't melted down next year It'll finally be time for a full upgrade. I'm CPU limited right now and need to redo the whole system. I figure by this time next year I'll be able to get good deals on the current top tier parts, and the next gen Ti equivalent from Nvidia.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I have a 980ti so it sounds like it'll be a pretty big upgrade for me if I get one?

Huge.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

If the rest of your hardware supports it then absolutely.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I wish that some PC gamers would be able to understand that some people just like the experience of gaming on consoles better.

If I can very easily plug in a console controller into my PC, either through a wired connection or wireless, and hook my PC up to my large TV, what's the difference?

Doesn't that necessitate constantly moving said PC around, or are you suggesting having a dedicated PC to hook up to your TV (and a secondary computer for... other computer stuff)?

Bloodborne
    Uncharted 4
    God of War
    The Last of Us
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Street Fighter 5
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Marvel's Spider-Man

Also, several games like RDR2, Borderlands 3 and Monster Hunter: World debuted on console with long delays for PC release. The games I listed probably account for 70% of my time on PS4 with the other 30% being Witcher 3 and other cross-platform titles. Investing in a console anymore (especially Sony and Nintendo) is an investment in their first party content.

I agree, console exclusive titles are dumb and should not exist.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    If the US hasn't melted down next year It'll finally be time for a full upgrade. I'm CPU limited right now and need to redo the whole system. I figure by this time next year I'll be able to get good deals on the current top tier parts, and the next gen Ti equivalent from Nvidia.

I'm in the same boat. My CPU is old. It's held up great, but it's time. I built it in 2013 so by next year it'll be 8 years old.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    ultra hd resolutions seem less necessary than ever now that upscaling is good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    captaink wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. My CPU is old. It's held up great, but it's time. I built it in 2013 so by next year it'll be 8 years old.

Yea I'm on a 4690, so a little over 6 years old. I upgraded to a Radeon 5700 earlier this year and I am definitely bumping into the cpu in certain games. I mostly play not super intensive games so it's fine, but yea It's time to go whole hog. Get a nice NVME SSD, maybe 48gb of ram, a video card with at least 12gb of VRAM, a CPU with all of the cores. Oh yea.

I'll probably upgrade one of my monitors to a nice 1440p with HDR, freesync and whatever other features are the big deal. Still debating on Ultrawide or not.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I hate that upgrading cpus basically means upgrading your whole pc in most cases.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I hate that upgrading cpus basically means upgrading your whole pc in most cases.

I usually roll in two separate upgrade paths, CPU/MOBO Ram, then Video card, I'm just feeling like going whole hog this time, for the first time in over a decade. CPUs have plateaued enough that you can get away with running the same CPU for like 4-8 years now if you're not chasing the latest and greatest, so replacing the core parts isn't too bad anymore.

• Options
    I am still running the sandy bridge i5 I've had for like ten years.

It bottlenecks my 970 a lot.

Hell my pc sometimes has trouble with newer apps too not just games.

Granted I probably need to swap the hard drives. They are well past their prime. At least those are cheap.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Realistically my next upgrade is getting some pci ssds to replace my old hhds

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I would be happy with one 2tb platter drive to use for long term storage of bigger files like my music collection and such and one 1tb ssd for playing games from and such.

I would have to get a sata one though as I don't have an m.2 spot on my mobo.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    damn m.2's got cheap

I need to check my board again but I think I have a slot for them.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Bloodborne
    Uncharted 4
    God of War
    The Last of Us
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Street Fighter 5
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Marvel's Spider-Man

Street Fighter 5 launched on PC at the same time as PS4 and even had cross-platform multiplayer.

I've been pretty happy with PC + Nintendo console. Sony is slowly starting to put games on PC, but you KNOW Nintendo isn't putting their games on other hardware anytime soon.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Partizan 31
    I am loving these new characters

And not just because Jack is playing the class that I always want to exist when I get tricked into playing a mech game

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Hmmm, looks like Giant Bomb's Film and 40's podcast is back, with a twist.
    Film & 40s: Mickeys & Whiskies: Smart House

SEP 7

DCOMEDY should sue for gimmick infringement.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Abby hosting the beastcast was a treat, and Ron Funches is always a welcome addition to the crew. I think I might download quibby and check out his show, my wife is a HUGE Funches fan.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I thought about maybe getting a 3080 but then it remembered that my monitors are only 1080p and I don't think they support her so nevermind

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The recent giant bomb dot com video release with Jeff Gerstmann playing a Fast & Furious game has put in me a hankering for awful trash played by good people whats fresh and excellent in that area

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The recent giant bomb dot com video release with Jeff Gerstmann playing a Fast & Furious game has put in me a hankering for awful trash played by good people whats fresh and excellent in that area

https://youtu.be/YU0AWYGAeKI

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

I'm assuming the 3060, when announced, will be this. I have a 6GB 1060 that was pretty much that standard of quality at the time. In fact I just got a new mouse and not having my entire system lock up every time I whip pan around a dense scene full of motion blur has basically made for a $45 upgrade to a whole new PC. Maybe if I went out and bought a 4k monitor for some reason I'd be more inclined to upgrade my GPU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, cooling, power supply and case.

PC building is expensive and some real Ship of Theseus shit.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't fully get what the big deal is about ray tracing

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just feel betrayed by Ray, I mean I thought he was doing that all freehand but then it turns out it's from someone else's work?!?

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I mean the ps1 could do it?
    h951fdtyuroy.png

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

My understanding is that, when it's actually used to its full capability, it allows for natural and more in-depth shades of lighting. So you can design things to more organically interact with light, instead of if all being set-up in advance. At the very least, in the long run, it sounds like it would make things easier to design with, and give more variety and quality of light and imagery.

• Options
    edited September 2020

I ain't an expert or anything and this is just my take, but the thing about ray tracing is that it is a single, unified way of doing something that has been emulated using a pile of other methods all lashed together over the past several decades

On the (sub)-surface, you get better looking lighting and reflections; but the thing about all of those cheaty hacks methods of doing it is that developers have gotten REALLY good using them, so at first glance the benefits of RTX are kinda hard to notice unless you're really paying attention.

I think (going way outside of my field on this one) that the big benefit to this is going to be that implementing RTX is a lot easier than working on all the various tricks and hacks and shenanigans used to achieve similar, though technically inferior, effects. It basically opens the door to great lighting and reflection effects to a much wider pool of developers.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.