Options

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    sure yeah I'm afraid to wade into the murky gaming waters of the g&t kiddy pool so your advice is to drop me into this shark tank with a busted door on my cage, cool cool

I kid, obviously, I will probably post there if no other advice comes up. Thank you.

Going off the AMD advice up-thread - this is the build that I put together last year, cannibalising my old PSU and case. You could knock the RAM down to 32gb and still run anything and everything. Or even down to 16gb. I went a bit mad to be honest, but I like to buy big and then not upgrade for a while

For case and PSU I'd recommend going on logical increments and taking a look at the "outstanding" tier, as that's what mine is based off

Edit: good job you don't want a GFX card - prices of 2070supers seem to have gone through the roof

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I once held a (ex)friend's pistol, as he decided to show off his extensive gun collection (I was interested in seeing his Mosin nagant) and he had me release the slide and I caught my finger on I believe the mag release lever. That shit hurt a bit.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yes unless you have someone decent showing you whats what you are probably going to get bitten once or twice learning how to shoot pistols

Well automatics anyway

That dude sounds like a ding dong

Hobnail on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    With modern firearms, its never the gun itself that should worry you. Its the potential idiot that is holding it.

Also, shout out to whoever mentioned the Newcomers podcast earlier in this thread, I've been listening while I play GuildWars and it is FANTASTIC

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yes unless you have someone decent showing you whats what you are probably going to get bitten once or twice learning how to shoot pistols

Well automatics anyway

That dude sounds like a ding dong

Oh he was a major dingus

Let me put it this way

He had like 3 k98s... And only one Garand and one Mosin

• Options
    He was a fan of history is what you're saying he was like a historian

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    He was a fan of history is what you're saying he was like a historian

Yeah. Really big fan of mid century central European history.

• Options
    There is a space where fans of mid century german militarism, firearms hobbyists and pedophiles meet and it is disturbingly vibrant and there is probably like some sort of PhD or something in there for somebody

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I would like to learn to shoot if only because I like learning new skills and target shooting sounds fun, as someone who also enjoys archery

But I am otherwise deeply uncomfortable around them, and while I somehow managed to not see civilians open carrying while I've visited and lived in the US, it did make me really sketched out whenever I saw like, metro transit cops with guns on their hips

Up here transit cops have at most a pair of cuffs and barely more power than bylaw officers so it was very much like, aaaaaaaaaa

I can probably extrapolate from there to how I'd feel seeing folks open carrying in the city, which would be probably somewhere between extreme unease and planning escape routes out of fear, I wager

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    As a Canadian the concept that just any random person around me might have a gun is terrifying and confusing.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Canada is 7th in the world in guns per capita (35 for every 100 people)

• Options
    Canada is 7th in the world in guns per capita (35 for every 100 people)

The only people I have ever seen with guns are those who own them for sports like trapshooting, hunting rifles, and farmers who have rifles to deal with certain pests.

So like, there are guns around, yeah. But they are licensed out and used for specific purposes. You're not gonna be in Wal-Mart and some random joe is just packing a pistol.

• Options
    Canadas gun culture isnt as malignant as the States' due to legislation and the money just isnt there relatively, our gun lobbyists and our NRA-esque thing (National Firearms Association) are both pale ghosts of their southern counterparts

God fuck the NFA

• Options
    We definitely have our fair share of weirdo right wingers who would totally bring a pistol to Wal-Mart if they could.

• Options
    In some parts of this country depending on your skin and the skin of who you shoot it is entirely possible to shoot somebody in the fucking face with a pistol for trespassing and get off free as a bird

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    okay I'm just straight up going to put the whole component list down below in a spoiler, in case anyone wants to give it a gander and express an opinion; I know this ain't the thread for it be tbqh I'm a bit weary asking this over in the hardware section of G&T, that place gives me Serious Gamer vibes that I, an adult man, am intimidated by
    Processor: Intel Core i5 10600K 4.1Ghz 12MB Cache s1200 - Tray
    CPU Cooler: Antec A400 RGB
    Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING LGA1200, Intel Z490, DDR4, 2xPCI-E
    RAM: HyperX FURY Black 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Kit
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1003FZEX 1TB Sata III
    SSD: Kingston A2000 M.2 SA2000M8/250G 250GB SSD PCIe NVMe
    Power Unit: Antec VALUE POWER Active PFC 12cm 550W 80+ VP550P Plus PSU
    Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 100D Mid Tower Black
    Speaker: Logitech Z533 2.1 Multimedia Speakers System
    Monitor: Asus VA27EHE 27 Inch LED IPS

Ditch the platter drive and make the SSD a 1 TB drive instead imo, unless you need a lot of storage space for non-game files or other things.

Are you planning to overclock your CPU? If not you're paying a premium for an overclockable CPU for no reason.

I prefer intel cpus but amd ones do tend to benchmark slightly better for the same price.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah like, I'm certainly not saying there aren't any guns in Canada, and I would love for there to be less

But I'm less worried about someone getting on the bus with me and packing heat than I am when I'm in the US

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Guns are a part of the myth of our country in such a way that it makes it very easy for unsavory elements to latch onto it

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    That's fine but gun culture is as insidious as it is outlandish and I want to push back on the idea that only the latter is worth spotlighting

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    okay I'm just straight up going to put the whole component list down below in a spoiler, in case anyone wants to give it a gander and express an opinion; I know this ain't the thread for it be tbqh I'm a bit weary asking this over in the hardware section of G&T, that place gives me Serious Gamer vibes that I, an adult man, am intimidated by

Ditch the platter drive and make the SSD a 1 TB drive instead imo, unless you need a lot of storage space for non-game files or other things.

Are you planning to overclock your CPU? If not you're paying a premium for an overclockable CPU for no reason.

I prefer intel cpus but amd ones do tend to benchmark slightly better for the same price.

I am not going to do any overclocking. What would you recommend as a more straightforward and affordable CPU?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Speaking of what are those sad fucks sayin lately anyway
    THE LIBERAL GOVERNMENT
    A HISTORICAL AND SCORNFUL DISREGARD OF CANADA’S DEMOCRATIC PROCESSES, AND THE TYRANNICAL THEFT OF LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS’ PROPERTY

Ha ha I actually forgot about the gun ban what a fuckin shower

• Options
    edited September 2020

I am not going to do any overclocking. What would you recommend as a more straightforward and affordable CPU?

You can just get the version of the same CPU that doesn't have a K on the end of the model number and that's the non-overclockable version, saves about $20 USD it looks like, but ALSO the non-overclockable version comes with a sufficient heat sink and fan assembly, so you don't need to buy a separate one like you do with the K model, so it saves whatever the cost is on that too.

For alternatives, I usually look at this graph to get a sense of performance vs. price for CPUs when I'm shopping: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html#xy_scatter_graph
    From looking at that, among the intel CPUs, the i5-10400 is $90 less than the 10600 while having not much worse performance, while the i7-10700 is $35 more and has significantly better performance. Those are all LGA 1200 socket CPUs like the 10600 so they should work in the same motherboard as you were already getting.

If you want to look at AMD processors, I'm not as familiar with them but you'll need a different motherboard since they use a different socket type. The Ryzen 3600X seems like the best value in the price range you're looking at, benchmarks better than the intel CPUs, and comes with a heatsink.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Oh one other thing, you've selected a full sized tower case but a micro-ATX sized motherboard, the mATX board will work fine in the case but there will be a lot of unused space. You could get a smaller case if you wanted and it would probably be cheaper.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    canadian right wing organizations trying desperately to match american wingnut rhetoric is still the most pathetic fucking thing.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    they seem to straight up import it even when it makes no sense outside of the context of the US, like 2nd amendment stuff

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    They do it in Australia too and, increasingly, here in New Zealand

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Oh one other thing, you've selected a full sized tower case but a micro-ATX sized motherboard, the mATX board will work fine in the case but there will be a lot of unused space. You could get a smaller case if you wanted and it would probably be cheaper.

More thoughts about cases:

I haven't actually changed my PC case in 15 years, the standards for where the screws go to mount the motherboard and expansion cards hasn't changed, so you can reuse the old one if you're not going to keep that tower around as a second computer or anything.

If you do get a smaller case, keep in mind how much clearance your video card needs on the end facing the front, the long ones can sometimes not fit in smaller cases.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I've always just used https://www.logicalincrements.com/ to pick out PC parts.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Just pickup a R5 3600 and a B450 mobo if you’re looking to upgrade a CPU on the cheap. The 3600 regularly goes for ~$170, and a full atx b450 should be around $60-80

Intel really only becomes competitive at the $300+ cpu price point, and even then only in single-threaded performance. The b450’s will be good for one more cpu upgrade cycle, so when the 3600 starts to show its age, you could just go pickup the 4000 series equivalent of the 3700X is on the cheap.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    was reminded of this classic moment from Steal My Sunshine

https://youtu.be/35fDKcGYOdM?t=32

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Remember, Mario Sunshine is a masterpiece

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Washing away goo is the best part of Sunshine

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I got maybe 3 episodes into Blowback and I legitimately do not think I can finish it. Intentionally seeking out material to make me seethe with an all consuming hatred in 2020 seems... excessive.

So I've gone back to listening to Rude Tales of Magic where they sing about poop and pee and say "fuck" a lot in funny accents.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Alternatively use that extra space for a fuck off sized liquid cooled, RGB radiator.

Also, absolutely do not take PC building advice from me, the idiot pc boy.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I got maybe 3 episodes into Blowback and I legitimately do not think I can finish it. Intentionally seeking out material to make me seethe with an all consuming hatred in 2020 seems... excessive.

So I've gone back to listening to Rude Tales of Magic where they sing about poop and pee and say "fuck" a lot in funny accents.

I also recommend Dungeons & Daddies: Not A BDSM Podcast

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If your computer doesnt have enough lights on it to simulate a rave what's even the point

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

Oh wow, this is absolutely excellent. Thank you!

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It's a good idea to post computer part questions in the PC Build Thread on G&T because folks in it literally do nothing but answer questions about PC builds and they generally know what they're talking about when it comes to the little changes you can make to save money and how long to wait for whatever weird manufacturer schedules mean sudden price drops.

They also generally give off less gamer vibes and more spreadsheet vibes.

But also yeah I did the same exact micro-ATX board and giant case thing for my build years ago and it was slightly funny. Just this little tiny board swimming in a case that was like 20 times larger than it needed to be.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Oh wow, this is absolutely excellent. Thank you!

I did this as well, and can confirm that it is an excellent resource for doing so.

Be warned, though! When I originally did it I made the mistake of thinking I could get some parts from one tier and some from another, and there was one unforseen incompatibility as a result.

If that's something you are looking to do, that might be ask a question or do some research territory.

This discussion has been closed.