As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    I didn't even think about making them reusable. I guess if you are having fertility issues over a long enough period of time you could probably save money and reduce waste.

just sell them like ph test kits

You can detect pregnancy via a ph test as well {that's how the digital paper one works anyways}

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    I didn't even think about making them reusable. I guess if you are having fertility issues over a long enough period of time you could probably save money and reduce waste.

just sell them like ph test kits

You can detect pregnancy via a ph test as well {that's how the digital paper one works anyways}

Err, no, these react to the presence of specific hormones. The acidity of urine varies more from person to person and day to day far more than it does during pregnancy (unless pregnant people secretly have Alien style acid pee in which case awesome)/

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The main defense of the electronic ones is that ~1 in 4 people can misread the one based on lines.

Digital just reads the lines for you and outputs Pregnant or Not Pregnant.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey can everyone please share with me your favorite/creepiest bird facts?

Just, y'know, thinking about birds

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Nothing will top brood parasitism for me.

That shit is changling creepy fantasy horror as far as I’m concerned.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Pelicans of various description expose their spinal column through their neck pouch to cool off.

• Options
    The vampire finch is a real asshole too, eating all manner of loathsome things, including blood, babies, and shit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_ground_finch

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Most species of woodpecker have a nightmarishly long spear-tipped tongue they use to fish bugs out of rotten wood. The root of the tongue is stored in cavities that wrap all the way around the back of the skull to the nostrils when not extended.

wak2wqj8jekk.png

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    p93u1wih2hn3.png
    Take on me.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Most species of woodpecker have a nightmarishly long spear-tipped tongue they use to fish bugs out of rotten wood. The root of the tongue is stored in cavities that wrap all the way around the back of the skull to the nostrils when not extended.

wak2wqj8jekk.png

hey cool. i found a bird skull on the ground the other week that thanks to your post i believe once belonged to a woodpecker

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The main defense of the electronic ones is that ~1 in 4 people can misread the one based on lines.
    https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1301786032136835072

Digital just reads the lines for you and outputs Pregnant or Not Pregnant.

ok fair

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

wak2wqj8jekk.png

Additional fact: this structure provides additional cushioning that protects the woodpecker's brain from the repeated impacts as it earns its name.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This is a bee-eater. It eats bees.

vjjtmd345g4f.png

Well, all kinds of flying insects, but it specializes in bees and wasps.

The interesting part is that it doesn't cheat like some animals who eat stinging insects. It doesn't have any immunity to venom or defense against stingers, and it doesn't raid nests full of delicious bugs. Instead it perches in a tree and watches for bees. When it sees one, it attacks it in midair, catching it from the front so that the stinger is safely sticking out of its beak. Then it bashes and scrapes the stinger against a rock or tree until the barb is gone and most of the venom has been squeezed out and it's safe to eat.

Can you imagine pulling that Ace Combat shit off dozens of times a day just to eat? Every time you want a snack you have to spot a bee from half a football field away and then engineer a high-speed head-on collision to catch a stinging insect in your mouth. Stressful.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-permafrost-idUSKCN1TJ1XN

"Permafrost at outposts in the Canadian Arctic is thawing 70 years earlier than predicted, an expedition has discovered, in the latest sign that the global climate crisis is accelerating even faster than scientists had feared."

INTERESTING FACTS

"Diving through a lucky break in the clouds, Romanovsky and his colleagues said they were confronted with a landscape that was unrecognizable from the pristine Arctic terrain they had encountered during initial visits a decade or so earlier."

I AM INTERESTED

"Scientists are concerned about the stability of permafrost because of the risk that rapid thawing could release vast quantities of heat-trapping gases, unleashing a feedback loop that would in turn fuel even faster temperature rises."

INTERESTING HOW FUCKED WE ARE

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pelicans of various description expose their spinal column through their neck pouch to cool off.

It's when they yawn, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR1CNy1xAAg

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Here's a picture I took. You can see the spear at the end of the tongue.

Spoiled for huge:
    sny3kdwmv86i.jpg

Interesting/creepy fact: most birds have horrifying tongues, like this other picture of a starling that I took (also spoiled for huge):
    vy84t3w15u2g.jpg

That forked thing is a pretty typical songbird tongue.

I did not take the next picture, which is of a goose tongue (spoiled for terrifying):
    goose-tongue-rick-fisk.jpg

Mayabird on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Thread talking about Ta Moko (adding important context, now it’s kind of gotten trendy and started to be appropriated as a style statement)

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    There's a part of a comment chain where a Tibetan Buddhist calls Timothy out for the neck tattoo he has being a sacred symbol to his culture. To which Timothy responds that his friend, who is Tibetan, tattooed it on him. Where would the line even be there?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    The various Maori iwi are, by and large, very open to sharing their culture. I know a couple pakeha (white people) with moko that reflect their whakapapa.

I think it’s pretty self evident where the line is? Like, are you just borrowing it, with no understanding of what it actually is? Are you just doing it to make money?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    There's a part of a comment chain where a Tibetan Buddhist calls Timothy out for the neck tattoo he has being a sacred symbol to his culture. To which Timothy responds that his friend, who is Tibetan, tattooed it on him. Where would the line even be there?

it's the difference between appropriation and adoption

are you some dipshit 20something american kid who thinks getting face tattoos is a good idea and makes you look badass?

are you living in NZ and associate with maori such that a maori artist would be willing to work with you?

• Options
    It's a bit blurry and people have taken to using "tā moko" for traditional tattoos and "kiri tuhi" for tattoos that might have the same style but have none of the tradition or mana associated with it. Even someone who is Māori, if they went into a tattoo shop and picked a tattoo design off the wall, would be getting a "kiri tuhi". It's not a negative word, in fact it is preferable to "tā moko" as it removes some of the importance of the tattoo and means that the wearer is less likely to be causing offence. It just means a tattoo, with none of the spiritual connotations that tā moko has.
    Often in NZ, when there is a kerfuffle over someone getting a "inappropriate" tattoo, it is usually given with consent by a tattoo artist who has the authority to give it to that person, even if others disagree with that choice. There's been a few overseas celebrities who have visited NZ and got tattoos, but to my knowledge, they've all been done as right as it can be. I think Rihanna even had it done with a chisel, which is both quite traditional, and brave. Not many do that anymore. I imagine it is a little bit different overseas when it is foreign tattoo artists appropriating imagery they have no knowledge of or connection to.

• Options
    Perhaps I was unclear. I understand the aggravation Maori might have with copied tattoos. As an outsider of that culture, I didn't know there were ancestral connotations. I think it was even generous of Timothy to say it would be ok if they were used properly with unique designs for those characters.

I guess my question was if the line is drawn by those who give the tattoos of those cultures or those who are aggravated by the use of those images? If they're both part of that culture, how do we solve it? I know I can't, since I'm a white guy from the American Midwest, but I'm curious.

• Options
    There is no clear answer. You can do everything as right as you can, and people might still be mad at you. Different people draw the line in different places. You can't really solve it without making everyone agree, and they don't. Best bet is to do your homework, do it as well as you can, and if people disagree, well, that's them and you just gotta roll with it.

• Options
    Fair enough.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    It is rude and ignorant on my part but I am not sure if it's okay to look at people's tattoos as a stranger. I don't have any friends who do tattoos so the only times I see them are pics on the internet or a rare passerby on the streets.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Whelk wrote: »

it's the difference between appropriation and adoption

are you some dipshit 20something american kid who thinks getting face tattoos is a good idea and makes you look badass?

are you living in NZ and associate with maori such that a maori artist would be willing to work with you?

I’ve been speaking Chinese for 12 years, live in a country where Chinese is the common public language, and have a legal Chinese name recognized by the local government that is on my ID.

If I decide to get some Chinese character tattoos, I’m not really gonna worry about anybody else’s opinion on it, they don’t know me or my life.

(But I would never do that on account of I feel it’s an unnecessarily douchey thing to do.)

I did have an elderly Chinese dude get salty about a shirt I had from my college days when I played wadaiko with 情 on it once. He demanded to know if I knew what it meant. Couldn’t even be mad at the dude, I get it.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    It is rude and ignorant on my part but I am not sure if it's okay to look at people's tattoos as a stranger. I don't have any friends who do tattoos so the only times I see them are pics on the internet or a rare passerby on the streets.

Honestly, this is why tattoo artists themselves are important. I've got tattoos of images have drawn that were then interpreted into work the artist has done. I enjoy that it is collaborative. Too many people print things off of the internet to get done, and it loses some of the value when that happens. Especially since the tattoo artist is profiting off of another artist's work in the case of Pinterest or even a Google image search.

I know a lot of sailors take Sailor Jerry tattoos seriously. They get particular images done to track particular career milestones, and they're almost like living badges of honor. I know for a fact that they get annoyed when that imagery is co-opted due to that style being popular with bikers and alternative style folks. Near naval ports, a lot of those instances get directed to something more suitable because the tattoo artists understand the history.

• Options
    The title on this is a little misleading (spoiler: turns out both pre- and post-colonial travellers are gonna pick the easiest routes, topographically), but songlines are a very cool feature of ancient australian cultures and this article does a nice encapsulation and description:

https://www.universal-sci.com/headlines/2016/4/7/how-ancient-aboriginal-star-maps-have-shaped-australias-highway-network

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Follow up from the digital pregnancy test convo other day:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Oh that reminds of the other thought I had when we were talking about Maori Whakapapa (history/story/geneology/experience).

The Australian Aboriginals are, generally speaking, very secretive about their practices. Most everything is secret business, and even secret men's business or secret women's business.

There areoften numerous rites and trials that must be completed before you can be told certain things. For example, Pitjantjatjara mob take something like 20 years to reach what we would consider 'manhood'. They would start this journey when they're about 7 or so.

Since these cultures are so secretive, the journey to learn the stories and practices of respective tribes can be so long, and they have next to nothing written down, the Stolen Generation was particularly devastating to them.

Interestingly, the Pitjantjatjara mob are from right in the middle of the Queen Victoria Desert. This meant it was really difficult for whitey to come fuck with them and thus they have a relatively intact history going back like 40,000 years

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    One thing which struck me reading about aboriginal culture was that so much of it is or was about resource and land management

And in many ways the aboriginal system of personal and communal land rights was more complex than that of the colonizers who held the entire continent was terra nullius, essentially no one's land

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    One thing which struck me reading about aboriginal culture was that so much of it is or was about resource and land management

And in many ways the aboriginal system of personal and communal land rights was more complex than that of the colonizers who held the entire continent was terra nullius, essentially no one's land

the inca empire was able to expand so rapidly thanks to the mit'a system, whereby every male from 15 to 50 was required to provide labor for the state doing public works like road construction and working publicly owned farmlands/grain redistribution

the amount of time varied, but each man was permitted to work their own farmland/care for their family/ply their trade if they weren't subsistence farmers

also, the land was so rich and the grain redistribution network was so efficient that most people only needed to work their own land for about 2-3 months out of the year

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Platy wrote: »

Oh it's far, far more complex than anything europeans have come up with. There's a lot of emphasis on continuity of communality, also - it's not so much that any particular tribe owna or has access to resources, it's more like you're a custodian for future generations, so you gotta do the right things at the right times to ensure resources will be there in the future*. And for fish spawnings and other seasonal events that can benefit many tribes there's a lot of carefully negotiated agreements about sharing labour and access and what not. ( should have definitely sent a bunch of tribal elders to do the brexit negotiations).

*(I should also probably note that initial aboriginal settlement of the continent drove the extinction of our mammalian megafauna, so this was presumably a lesson learned the hard way in a fragile ecosystem).

tynic on
  • Options
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This is why there's been a big push lately to get people to stop saying ecofascist stuff like "humans are the virus!"

Many human cultures managed to not fuck up nature while having a flourishing civilization for tens of thousands of years. It's really just European civilization in general and capitalism in particular that's incompatible with being a good steward of the planet.

• Options
    I looked at the papers I could find and it seems like humans in Australia might not even have realized they were driving those animals to extinction, since killing them might've been an infrequent event
    It has been estimated that low intensity hunting (such as the killing of just one juvenile per person per decade) could result in a species being extinguished over a few hundred years7. Such selective, low-level hunting would be virtually imperceptible in the archaeological record, accounting for the lack of reported kill sites. In this scenario, all species of megafauna could have been lost from the entire continent within a few thousand years. In the Cape Pasley record, megafaunal population collapse commenced within 2,000 years of the established date for human dispersal on Australia at ∼47 kyr ago (ref. 16), with extinction completed within 4,000 years. We conclude our results are consistent with extinction being driven by such ‘imperceptible overkill'7.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    This is why there's been a big push lately to get people to stop saying ecofascist stuff like "humans are the virus!"

Many human cultures managed to not fuck up nature while having a flourishing civilization for tens of thousands of years. It's really just European civilization in general and capitalism in particular that's incompatible with being a good steward of the planet.

i think it's industrialization that's the culprit more than any given culture or even capitalism (not that i want to come off like i'm defending capitalism!). the USSR and CCP weren't really any more bashful about fucking up the environment than the US or any of the european powers, it's just when you prioritize production over every other consideration, there's gonna be damage

hell, even before the industrial revolution happened there was massive environmental damage caused by humans making things. there's solid evidence that england was almost entirely covered by forest up till the start of the iron age, when the folks there started cutting down a massive number of trees. smelting and forging bloom iron are massively more fuel-intensive than making bronze and casting shit out of it, and we got all this potential fuel here, be a shame to just leave it sitting around

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    I don't think the demand for fuel for forging was the only thing, so much as increasing population all needing things built out of timber like buildings and carts and ships and so on, but especially they needed wood simply for heating. This was a problem anywhere human civilizations got big and it was significantly cold for parts of the year.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The kind of depeletion we see nowadays is a recent phenomenon though, marine ecosystems especially have been more affected by humans over the last 200 years than they have ever been before