Options

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 13/24

Wylan extends his hand and grabs the injector. "Very well. Find the bad things, press this against their metal circle. Seems simple enough."

He looks at the chasm again. "Any help you can provide to get across this hole? Or, maybe some sort of map to give me some directions around here?"

Actions
    Now starting the adventures of Hackerman!

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

Several hovering golems, some in disrepair themselves, lift and place some panels across the gap. Their mouths burst into flame, and after a minute they hover away.

“It is done.”, it pauses a moment, and then it’s head becomes a shimmering map of light, “Remember well.”

The map is blank in places, and not as detailed as you like.

The steward is quick to point you north-east as another being claiming to be the steward resides there, but you can’t help but note the ‘core’. Core, as in middle, as in the heart of the temple. You know you have to get there.

ljhd0mc3fl7y.jpeg

Whatever your plans you’re clearly going to have to head east out of this room, then south through the next room and cross eastward out of a door there... if this map remains accurate.

—For now you can just walk across the chasm. It has made a bridge for you.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options

Wylan notes everything from the map he is shown, writing it quickly onto his own personal map. He circles the word "Core" repeatedly, but also notes that he has some travelling if he wants to try and reach it. Similarly, in the direction he predicts he'll have to map out is one of the labeled impostors, so he can travel and possibly make progress in two ways at once.

He crosses the makeshift bridge, saying aloud "Thank you. I'm on my way now."" He crosses over through the hallway to the east, stopping once he enters the next large room to take a look around. The animals that attacked in the preserve area have still left him on edge, and raised his cautious nature to it's peak.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

The floor is muddy. The ceiling is high; you note some exposed pipes dripping water.

Two huts made of clay and salvaged pieces of the temple stand proud in the room.

There is a corpse laid out directly between them. It looks to have been looted already, but its arms are crossed. Some care was taken.

The corpse was an elf, you think. Whatever killed it wasn’t brutal, everything is still intact.

The huts don’t have windows, and have closed doors made from black panelling.

yjdpwjxvphfa.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options

Wylan frowns, finding an almost peaceful death in this place strange and out of the ordinary. He approaches cautiously, and instead of checking the corpse, instead decides to look in the makeshift hut to ensure nothing is hiding waiting for someone to find the corpse and approach it.

Actions
    I'm looking closely here, so I think this might be investigation

Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigate

Investigate:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

"Wow, great job with the door!"

I shout at the gnome riding a golem "Hello and well met friend! Do you know how we might get closer to the center of this place? Are you ok? Is that Golem also your friend?"

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

I peek around the corner to see what Thrax is yelling about, walk over and give Lialeth a pat on the shoulder, "good work big and harry". Walking right past up next to Thrax, "what the fuck is that big thing the little guy is riding?"

• Options
    Thraxxagar

"I think its a golem! My mom use to tell me stories about my dad beating one. Except that one was made of flesh. Which I assume smells terrible. This one, I can't smell yet so I assume its friendlier."

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

Peering around the corner, I spot the golem from earlier, mobile and out of its alcove. And atop it, the small shouty discombobulated one from earlier, waving half a biscuit and pointing in this direction.

Ah. And the overgrown mutant turtlefrog, crushed and broken. I wonder if they also come back after they die?

The golem is not of great concern - it never moved when Billy was in the room earlier, so its threat level is low. The small one is unpredictable and flapable, but carries and abundance of tools and appears to have got the golem moving-

Wait - tools, loud, got the golem moving... *sigh* The small shouty one could be the Tinker the unicorn mentioned.

And they're pointing and coming this way.

Just then, there's some commotion behind the mismatched pair, and more voices and bodies spill into the room behind the Tinker and their Golem. Billy isn't sure if any of them - the tinker, the golem, or the new group - has seen him yet, but this kerfuffle is getting tense.
    @mrpaku @Bucketman @Denada @Sleep You probably need to beat Perception 8 to notice the small hairy shape peering around the corner at the end of the Southern corridor, which isn't exactly challenging but whether I have been obviously spotted will inform my next actions

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Satra

Puffed up on false confidence and her first bite in days, Satra hums obliviously to herself. She suddenly hears someone call out from behind her ...
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Satra

Wheeling around in the saddle, she sees a dragon man hailing her, and an absolute giant of a...man, peering in just behind him. She hadn't heard the words over her...(well, she needed to stop zoning out like that while she was in here)....but she'd heard the tone. And if they'd wanted to hurt her, well...bandits and bad guys probably wouldn't have let her finish her biscuit first, right?

"Hullo, Sir Dragon!" Satra twisted the harness in just the right spot, getting Timmy Tin to turn itself (s-l-o-w-l-y) towards the newcomers. She wasn't being threatening, exactly, so much as showing off the merchandise. "I am Satra, Inventor and Tinker extrordianre! *This* is Timmy Tin! He lives here, but has decided to come with me."

Satra tone changes from jovial to serious. She rests Problem Solver subtly on the Golem's shoulder as she says the next bit, not pointing it just... presenting it. "We could be friends, but we can also be very dangerous. That guy knows." She kicks a foot at the Powerpotomus corpse. Then she smiles, the good cop to her own bad. "But hopefully it won't have to come to that, right? Ha! How the hell are ya, it's nice to meet ya!"

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Lialeth

"It would seem we're taking 'strength in numbers' to heart today," Lialeth says, mostly to himself. "I assume you're here for the same reason we all are, Miss Tinker. I'm Lialeth, this is Roy, and this is Thrax. We've agreed to split whatever bounty we find in this strange temple. Will you and your..." he glances at the golem and at a dark corner somewhere behind Satra, "...friends join our little company?"
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for goat perceiving

goat perceiving:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

Denada on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Thraxxagar

Bowing a little to the tinkerer "Hello to you both! As my friend here has said we are all exploring the same place, we may as well do so together. I've often found that adventures are better with friends, and no treasure can be spent if you die trying to explore such a place as strange as this. So what say you Satra and Timmy? Care to join forces with our merry lot?"

Bucketman on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

It seems the Tinker (and their Golem) have not noticed me for now, but I'm not sure about the newcomers. In any case, the pair have pulled up and turned around, and are having a somewhat animated conversation with the trio behind them. While I can't make out what they're saying, there is definitely a sense of tension and strain to the discussions. Perhaps a good time to slip away-

- but the unicorn implied that the Tinker was necessary to reach the center, or at least better kept alive. And if that is the Tinker, then letting them get killed would probably make my task that much harder.

*sigh* Best make sure the Tinker one stays alive then. Time to clear my throat and..

"Mlelelelep".

• Options
    Satra

"Good lord, but he *is* a biggun," Satra whispers to herself as Lialeth's voice booms. "Well, hello hello, Great Sir! It's an *honor*!"

Satra giggles as Thraxx bows to her, which she quickly lets becomes a cough. She seems to have recognized her rudeness, smiles genuinely, returns a curtsy with an invisible dress.

Satra tries to seem heistant, mostly poorly. "Well, I...yes, I would love to join up with you. I'll be honest, before I met Timmy here, it was pretty rough going." Satra parsed her next words carefully. "I'm interested in some bounty like any....good, uhhh Merc, but I'm more immediately interested in... *Information*? I believe in this place, the one naturally leads to the other." She twitches an eyebrow, attempting to come across as mysterious and dramatic (mostly poorly). "You guys know what I mean? ...You know what I'm saying?"

"Mlelelelep".

"...Did you guys just hear a goat?"

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 5/10, Strength 12/14, +1 mod

Ashalla sees Wylan disappear with the final attack on the Raptor.
    She was too late for vengeance.

She descends the tree and drags the corpses into the control room.

She gives the wooded zone one last look over,

Geth, Roll 1d20+0 Investigate

Investigate:
    1d20+0 11 [1d20=11]

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Thraxxagar

"Uh is that a goat?" And I turn towards the bleating

• Options
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

Taking a few steps out into the open, I turn around, look back at group over my shoulder, and bleat again, insistently.

"Mleelep"

Once I'm sure I've got their attention, I walk off to the left in a deliberate fashion towards the parallel East corridor going North, waiting only long enough to give them a small window to catch sight of me should they be wise enough to recognise an enlightened animal guide when they see one. One last short (possibly indifferent) bleat echoes back out of the corridor.
    Do watch out for the puddle of goat urine I left here earlier, unless some bug has been by in the meantime and cleaned it up.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

The hut doesn’t have much in it. No signs of recent life.

On a small shelf is a wooden box and a moth-eaten book. The books is thin, bound in leather with a piece of string around it.

Ashala

Looking over the control room you consider how it works once more. That symbol means desert, that one means forest, and final one has a symbol you clearly see to mean water.

The doors leading from this area are all open. You doubt that’s the usual plan; flooding this plan is going to wash out the doors.

You hear a twig snap in the forest.

s7zx4kgao3yu.jpeg

What do you do?

The Goat Squad

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxFWgilSyAE

Together you ride!

rvbxk8wca34y.jpeg

As there’s a few of you together here is a quick reminder:
    Billy (b)
    Satra & Timmy Tin (_/s\_)
    Lialeth (l)
    Thraxxagar (t)
    Roy (r)

The corridor ahead is coated top to bottom is moss. It gets more humid with every step, until the moss leaks water like a bath sponge.

Billy comes to a stop before a make-shift bridge of tall mushrooms growing up from the dark of a deep chasm. Each mushroom is 2 feet wide, and held on tough, thick stems. They can’t be miles tall, so you wager the drop must be... 40 feet to the bottom.

Failure will not end in instantly falling, but you will need to make an Athletics check (if you’re leaping from mushroom to mushroom) or an Acrobatics check (if you’re going about it carefully).

Satra, use your own skill proficiency to have Timmy Tin hop across the mushrooms while you ride his back.

Mr. Grungle

Your gallant ally is nowhere to be seen. Perhaps they are in trouble themselves?

The golden golem locks its arm out and swings its hips. It’s gonna try to absolutely knock your block off!

Luckily, you’re quicker. It’s your turn. What do you do?

@Zonugal @WACriminal

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

Many a chasm have I crossed without fear or hesitation. Of course, solid rock footing can be much different to trecherous fungi...

Goatfeet don't fail me now.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited August 2020

The hut is empty, which is actually a little reassuring. Not having a creature of some sort jump out at you when you expected one to is one of the more blissful feelings. Looking around the room fully now that the impending attack wasn't coming, Wylan notices a shelf with a box and a book. He carefully opens the lid of the box as it sits on the shelf, peering inside. Then, he very carefully picks up the book, gently untying the string around it, and then gingerly opening it, afraid it might fall apart in his hands.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lialeth

Hup!
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr Grungle

The Grungle side-steps the creature, attempting to leave the room entirely.

He then attempts a familiar maneuver, with the ceiling spikes that are north of him and the golden creature...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The Many Hands Gang

—I’ll describe your crossing in one post once you’ve all rolled.

Wylan

Inside the box you find two bracelets made from interwoven threads of a plant.

The book is a journal. It is written primarily in Elven (you assume just based on the flourishes and little dots above the letters). One page you flick through is written in Common.

“I grow weary of my own words, and the strange sights that are visited upon me do sully my mother tongue so.

My sworn brother Roy has perished at the hands of the fungal horde, and soon I too will befall the same fate. A terrible inner affliction has beset me, wrought by their foul arts. We pushed the fiends south, and delayed their master, but I fear the cost too great for my heart. I choose to end this life, knowing our cruel immortality, and have conducted rituals of old and many of my design with but the singular goal—that I shall not forget Roy. I pray to the gods; let this be so. — Fillianore.”

Mr. Grungle

You’re cutting it fine ducking to the side of the broad golem and getting beyond the spikes as one manoeuvre. It comes to pass, but give me an Acrobatics check for how smoothly.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr Grungle

As I have disadvantage...

Geth, roll 1d20+5 Acrobatics #1
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 Acrobatics #2

Acrobatics #1:
    1d20+5 12 [1d20=7]
    Acrobatics #2:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Roy

Geth roll 1d20+3 for athletics

athletics:
    1d20+3 22 [1d20=19]

• Options
    Roy

As I bound across the mushroom tops
    "This isn't the first time I've heard of an animal guide, but I just want to make sure. Are we following a damned goat?!"

• Options

Wylan picks up the bracelets and examines them, before putting them into his pack. The book is frustratingly written in a language he doesn't understand, but the end of it in common is depressing. There were a few items on interest in it, however. The skeleton outside must be the author, Fillianore. The fungal horde mentioned reminded him of where he started a bit with the room he found the staff in. There was also the sworn companion, Roy.

All items of interest, none of which immediately changed his situation. He left the hut, returning to the skeleton laying in the middle. He paused at his, bending down and touching the skull, illuminating it. It wasn't much, and it wouldn't last forever, but it was a moment of respect paid for someone who had fallen in this place.

Wylan kneels for a moment of silent next to the corpse, before standing, walking to the next hut, and stepping inside to investigate it as well. Partially out of caution, partially out of a desire to ensure that nothing was hiding here that could desecrate this place while he was able to pass through.

Actions
    I'm assuming bracelets are normal, or that I can't tell they aren't at the moment, which is why I'm just putting them in my pack. Would there be any benefit in looking at them further? I'd want to do that, but I'm assuming based on description that they are just bracelets.

I'm casting the Light cantrip on the skull.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Mr. Grungle

You drop the blue armour piece, kick off the wall and over the golem, then slide under the spikes as you sprint away from it. Perhaps you’d intended otherwise, but your momentum lead you under them before you knew it, forcing you to keep going or perish.

—No extra armour piece for you.

The golem turns and follows you. It sees the spikes impaling the floor and shatters them with one, two, three mighty downward blows.

You flick your eyes back towards the room you started in. The door to it is closed, a red symbol moves across it.

The golem’s eyes glow red too, and a thin light runs over you from head to foot, and back again. It’s accessed

—The golem‘s damage has increased for its next attack!

It steps towards you and pulls its arm back for another attack.

jwm2z9i59nyd.jpeg

What do you do?

Wylan

Illuminating the skull, it casts shadows of the shrivelled fungus lurking within.

The next hut has a regular javelin hung on the wall, but not much...

There is a faintly glowing orb on the floor, the size of a marble.

Do you touch it?
    They’re just friendship bracelets.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options

The next hut was thankfully empty, save for a javelin on the wall. Wylan was already in possession of a set of javelins, so he left it where it lie. A small glow drew his attention, however, a spark caught out of the corner of his eye. Looking down, he sees a small glowing shape on the floor. He bends slowly, observing as he nears what appears to be a little orb of light. His hand reaches out almost instinctively to touch it, and he when he realizes it, he doesn't stop himself. A single finger presses gently against the side of the orb.

Actions
    Friendship bracelets! Now I gotta find me a buddy (or more appropriately, get back to the one I had)

Touching the orb. Maybe it's one of those cool plasma ball lamps!

• Options
    Satra

"You've got this, buddy, don't worry," Satra pats Timmy Tin's head reassuringly. "*Right* here with you,"

Satra calls out defiantly to Roy. "That... goat risked it's life for me before I had met *any* of you, even Timmy. I...know it doesn't make much sense, but *I* trust it."
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

• Options
    [OOC: these dice are cursed, I want a new pair]

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

Time is being tampered with. That’s for certain.

No one put that thing here. Like salt crystallising along the shore, you touched a fragment of broken chronology. You can’t make it all out. You’ve been at this awhile.

Wylan! You have earned 90 experience!

Aftershocks hit you in waves, and you earn a further 20 experience!

Geth roll 1d20 for Psychic Injury

Psychic Injury:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Lialeth & Roy

You crisscross over the mushrooms like you’ve been practising together, and land at the same time on the other side.

10 - 10 - 9 - 10

If there was a crowd it’d go wild.

Billy

You near as damn it make it across, but as the final leap your back legs don’t make it. You’re scramble up after a few embarrassing seconds, and take 1 bludgeoning damage to your pride.

Satra

Timmy Tin just sort of walks with longer strides across the mushrooms until they slip slowly sideways off one.

The golem grabs a mushroom stork with all four hands, and together you slide a little ways down.

You need pulling up. I’m thinking as much rope as you’ve got, and an Athletics check from the strongest party member to co-ordinate a rescue.

Thraxxagar

You’ll be the last to cross, you see all this go down.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    To clarify, is that 7 dmg that I'm taking? Want to mark appropriately before I react.

• Options
    To clarify, is that 7 dmg that I'm taking? Want to mark appropriately before I react.
    No!

Sorry, I just rolled it off my psychic injury list.
    You happened to get more experience out of it!

• Options

Wylan blinks. Then he blinks again. The waves of what felt like raw time that hit him threw his into disarray. What could have caused such an effect to happen, what magics were tearing at the fabric of time to inflict this pain on anyone, he couldn't guess. But, he did know he had a goal, and perhaps he could figure this out along the way.

Standing up, he leaves the hut. He sees a door off to the east. He approaches it, ready to continue his journey in this place, a map fixed in his mind to lead him in the next direction.

Actions
    Whew! Ok. Was worried about the old HP for a minute there.

As I get to the door, if it's normal, I'll open it and move on. If it's got anything funky going on, I stop.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

For a moment you think the door is jammed, but after a moment it opens. Your new patron appears to have unlocked it for you.

Back pressed against the doorway, you peer around.

dg28oqfb0c3k.jpeg

This creature (K) is collecting water from a burst pipe. It hasn’t noticed you.

nn892s532dj6.jpeg

...Give me a History check.

In addition, a quick description of the area:
    To the north is a long corridor damp with puddles.

Directly in front of you is rubble leading to a chasm. It’s a tight squeeze to get through there.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20 for History

History:
    1d20 17 [1d20=17]

• Options
    Satra

You need pulling up. I’m thinking as much rope as you’ve got, and an Athletics check from the strongest party member to co-ordinate a rescue.

Either of Lialeth or Thraxxagar.