Options

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lialeth

"I"m just getting started in here," Lialeth says, exchanging his axe and shield for leaning on his glaive like it was a deadly walking stick. "I'd rather not march without backup though. We can rest if you need to rest. What's the story with this mysterious door?"

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Billy

4mi3x9l48uxe.jpeg

It’s dark.

You can smell a corpse in the dark.

Further in, barely visible, a few lines of lights flicker occasionally from a circle in the floor.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

I cautiously approach the corpse; where there is death, there is danger.

I will look for threats, then, should none be apparent, I will investigate the body.

geth roll 1d20+3 for perception
    geth roll 1d20-1 for investigate

perception:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]
    investigate:
    1d20-1 2 [1d20=3]

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Billy

The body is about your size. It’s furry, and has horns. Its just like you. It’s... just like you. It has one long, thin hole in its side. There’s some blood matting the fur, but no where near as much as you reckon there should be.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

That's... not the kind of threat I was expecting.

I warily regard the lights from a distance without getting close, and consider my options for travel out of the darkness. What do I see beyond this passage?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Billy

Moving across a little you peer around the corner to a lit corridor. There’s another room at the end of it, and you can just make out a fungus covered hut.

You hear a voice murmuring from those few points of shifting light.

“When the mind... does not know itself, it is flawed...”

p1m9e1brh7yu.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    @Endless_Serpents When you do an update for Ashala's failed intimidation check, can you also drop another map? If this thing is going to attack, not sure where it is since it wasn't on the last view we had.

Thanks!

• Options
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

Unless there's anything particularly notable regarding the flickering lights in the circle that catches my attention, I guess I'll leave the relative safety of the darkness and stealthily move towards the hut.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for stealth

stealth:
    1d20+2 3 [1d20=1]

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

Roy takes a few more bites and then stows the rest of the ration in his pack. Still talking around his last bites, "Ah men of action then. The door is back where I got dropped when I first came here. Back through a room that feels like the worst parts of the wild. A big red claw flashes across the door from time to time, it's bewitched in some way." Roy finishes squaring away his pack and gives aerin a little pat through his pocket, "I figured I'd try a less foreboding path. The first room I came to was full of dead bodies floating in glass cylinders. This place only does foreboding it would seem." Signaling towards the way he and assumably thrax entered the room, "Hey anyone got some way we can sweep all this glass out of the way?"

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lialeth

"Let's check out that door. I have a weird piece of metal from the room I was just in. Maybe it can do something." Lialeth then checks out the broken glass, seeing if he can clear it safely with his glaive.
    Athletics maybe for clearing the glass with my polearm?

Geth roll 1d20+5 for tappin' dat glass

tappin' dat glass:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

The Grungle, in a fit of divine frustration, tries to combine both sets of armor.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Roy

Roy takes a few more bites and then stows the rest of the ration in his pack. Still talking around his last bites, "Ah men of action then. The door is back where I got dropped when I first came here. Back through a room that feels like the worst parts of the wild. A big red claw flashes across the door from time to time, it's bewitched in some way." Roy finishes squaring away his pack and gives aerin a little pat through his pocket, "I figured I'd try a less foreboding path. The first room I came to was full of dead bodies floating in glass cylinders. This place only does foreboding it would seem." Signaling towards the way he and assumably thrax entered the room, "Hey anyone got some way we can sweep all this glass out of the way?"

Thraxxagar

"I have...a hammer? And a shield? Though I think making any kind of noise might attract those strange bug bat things."

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Billy

You’re very stealthy, and then you just make a loud bleat, just to remind the universe you exist.

“Ah. You again. I’m never quite sure how you’re going to be.”

uik6nitlb2xj.jpeg

The unicorn’s breath is cool. You see frost form around it’s hooves.

Its horn glows briefly. It has cast Speak with Animals.

wxua9ajc9h7i.jpeg

The nearest hut is empty, there’s a body covered in bedsheets on a roughly made bed.

Ashala

The raptor blinks. Having never fought before, it measures you, then goes for it.

It bursts forth with blinding speed, it leaps and lands right on top of you!

Geth roll 1d6+3 for Lunaraptor Claws
    Geth roll 1d20 for Slashing Injury

Then it vanishes in a puff of silver mist.

—Ashala! You are frightened! You cannot get within 30 feet of the raptor. Additionally, you will have two straight scars on your chest, about 10 inches long, once the blood stops spilling out of you.

kch1880y7nv9.jpeg

Wylan, you suddenly see a beast (L) appear from thin air, it’s looking at your ally through the trees.

Roy’s Irregulars

What none of you could do alone you manage together. The glass it smashed in after some sweaty labouring, and you can pass freely from the room.

Where to?

Lunaraptor Claws:
    1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]
    Slashing Injury:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    For the record, while some are closer than others, we are around the half way mark.

Your journey to the heart of the temple continues...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHWpQ0-CdY

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

Ah, now this is more like the kind of threat I was expecting.

I regard the unicorn. In particular I regard the unicorn's very long singular horn before their words catch up to me and go around in my head a few times.
    Billy is a canny beast, who who has survived as long as he has in the wilds by being both stubborn and clever. A glimmer of an idea catches on the edges of the cunning mind inside.

"When you fin' yaself been gored ta deat' in th' dark, it canna throw ya's round a loop" the hairy beast says, drolly, eyes never quite leaving the unicorn's icicle horn.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Mr. Grungle

The Grungle, in a fit of divine frustration, tries to combine both sets of armor.

Mr. Grungle

As you line up both pieces, they lock in place.

Lines of green and red intertwine until the armour is complete.

You have made Twin Dragon Armour.

The armour is medium armour. It can only be worn over light armour, otherwise you’ll have to change what you’re wearing.
    When you wear it you have +10 HP, and are resistant to fire and poison damage.

• Options
    Billy

“Always so quick to grasp the gravity of our situation.”, the unicorn says, “You killed the tinker again... I hope you appreciate ending you was for your own good.”

The unicorn turns from you and wanders to the other hut.

“Sit with me by the fire, and I’ll explain once more what is needed of you. Despite it all, time grows short.”

Do you follow them over, and do you trust them?
    @Fishman

You gain 30 experience for being the first to openly figure out the plot.

• Options
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

I take quick side glance over at the body under the sheet.

"Tinker prob'ly 'ad it comin'" Billy mutters to himself, but nonetheless cautiously wanders over beside the fire and finds somewhere comfortable and warm (although not too warm, as his nose is still quite tender).

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Billy

As you enter the hut the unicorn taps a broken circular device, its wires exposed, the whole thing bent in the middle. Lights flicker into life. Sparks spit once, then it settles, and begins to warm the hut. This is the ‘fire’.

“Just a little modified ghost summoner our friend made for me.”, the unicorn comments, answering a question you didn’t ask.

“When you die, some power here brings you back to the door you first entered. It’s not you though, the you that is now. You’re rewound, with no memory of what had transpired. This much I know.”

The unicorn takes a long breath, then sighs.

“What’s worse though is you’re not put back right. You forget more and more. I bet you can’t even tell me why you came here in the first place. Time is running out.”

“This place is getting weirder and weirder, I’m sure soon enough none of you will have enough wits to get close to the heart of this terrible prison.”

“...I gave up ten years ago. I just stay here, and wait for one of you to come by. I never got near enough to learn the truth... but I know you must get to the heart of this place, only then can this madness be brought under control!”

“Fancy a ration? They’re yours.”

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Billy, Goat, HP 25/26

I accept a ration, but otherwise say nothing. I've never been one who needs to use a lot of words; besides which, if I've been here before the unicorn knows what I'm about to ask and what useful information I should need to know.

• Options
    Billy

After eating in silence, the unicorn continues.

“The ghosts, such as we call them, each once fulfilled a role in the temple, and they were once servants to one singular power. However, at some point this power fragmented into three.”

“Because of this they are unsure of themselves, and behave irrationally. You once decided that destroying these powers, or at least two, would be a great boon to this place.”

“But that is beside the true goal, which is to find the heart of the temple, and so take control for yourself. Heading north-east from here is your best bet.”

ud18j2jy70dl.jpeg
    ossyi03vzkvn.jpeg

• Options
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 16/24

Wylan hears more noise from over where Ashala had been, which he assumed was fighting. And then, with almost no noise at all, another beast appears in his line of sight, it's eyes trained off in the direction of where he believed Ashala to be. I can't let it join that fight. he thought to himself, and kicked his legs into action. Lowering his glaive, he charges the beast, chopping away with the momentum of his newly enhanced blade.

Actions
    I believe it's my init since you put me at 20, but if not this can be the action after Ashala moves.

Moving four straight ahead, and swinging away.

Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Glaive Dmg

Glaive Dmg:
    1d10+3 6 [1d10=3]

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

Mr. Grungle

As you line up both pieces, they lock in place.

Lines of green and red intertwine until the armour is complete.

You have made Twin Dragon Armour.

The armour is medium armour. It can only be worn over light armour, otherwise you’ll have to change what you’re wearing.
    When you wear it you have +10 HP, and are resistant to fire and poison damage.

Mr. Grungle

And if your character isn't proficient in medium armor?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

You leap sideways, spinning your glaive on the longest possible arc to bring it down forcefully on the raptor’s rear.

You cut off part of its tail! It’s off balance!

—It has disadvantage to Dexterity checks and saving throws.

Mr. Grungle

You will have disadvantage to Athletics and Acrobatics checks while you wear it.

Slashing Injury:
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Thraxxagar

"Well friends it seems our path to the room with the strange bugs is now clear. I suggest we steer clear, if you'd lead the way. I think I might be able to get through that door, I had a similar issue when I first began."

• Options
    Thraxxagar’s Three

r0gdnket1ctr.jpeg

Between you, you have a good knowledge of this section of the temple.

Where were you heading?

The Portrait Gallery, where Roy saw gruesome skeletons floating in tubes?

The Fox Room, where Roy first began their journey?

The Hall of Singers, where prisoners sit in cages?

I’m considering Roy the leader for this short trip. You say where your party is now.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 5/10, Strength 12/14, +1 mod, Frightened

The raptor blinks. Having never fought before, it measures you, then goes for it.

It bursts forth with blinding speed, it leaps and lands right on top of you!

Then it vanishes in a puff of silver mist.

—Ashala! You are frightened! You cannot get within 30 feet of the raptor. Additionally, you will have two straight scars on your chest, about 10 inches long, once the blood stops spilling out of you.

Ashala spits blood, caught off guard by the beast.
    She turns to the spear embedded in the tick nearby, and pulls with all her might, despite the searing pain in her leg.
    Ashala knows she can't rush into the trees after the beast. Such foolhardy methods will only bring about the end of her journey. She must stablize herself first, Ashala moves 30 ft to the control room with a hand on her 10 inch wounds, a hand on her spear should she free it from the tick.

la09t4k796gb.png

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ashala & Wylan

You pull your spear free and hobble to the control room Ashala. You’ve overcome your fear. You get your leg working well enough, but your Strength is permanently reduced.

The raptor lets out a pained cry; to your ears it sounds like the call of an eagle, but far deeper.

It swings around to face Wylan and bridges the gap in seconds, leaping high and biting down on his shoulder!

—Your melee damage is reduced by 1 for the next 3 rounds!

Geth roll 1d6 for Bite
    Geth roll 1d20 for Piercing Injury

Wylan! Make an Athletics check to push the raptor off, otherwise it can make a second bite attack!

@Virgil_Leads_You

Bit of bad luck on the injury rolls! I wish you good fortune going onward.

Bite:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Piercing Injury:
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

After the glass is cleared and the bugs dispersed, Roy sets out back towards the red claw door south of the fox room via the path of venus and portrait gallery. "Come along gents, and I'll show you this strange door, oh also don't look in the mirror, not sure what's going on with it, but it seemed a strange room and mirrors often hold horrors", Roy reaches up to where his ear would normally be, "especially right now".

Sleep on
  • Options

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

• Options
    Roy’s Boys

izk013tbbx2c.jpeg

In the Fox Room, you gather (Roy, Thraxxagar, Lialeth).

There’s a large lever in front of a row of tall spikes.

Though the spikes are tall and sharp, you could try any number of ways to cross them without being harmed.

You tell me how you deal with them.

Beyond that is the door Roy described.

Wylan

You’re nearly toppled, but you manage to throw the damn thing off.

It’s your turn next!

• Options
    Only Roy, Thraxxagar & Lialeth may read this spoiler.

• Options
    Thraxxagar

I assume they are not tall enough to just walk through as if they were person sized? I'll ask Roy "How did you pass this way last? Is that level the control for these?"

• Options
    Mr Grungle

The Grungle removes his leather armor and dons the new dragon armor.

Red & Green, how festive!

He then proceeds down, towards the Path of Mars.

But he will do so quietly, leaving the silver chest behind.

Should he encounter an enemy, The Grungle will hurl a dagger at them (hoping to trigger both his Surprise Attack & Sneak Attack), then draw his rapier.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Mr. Grungle

cpsr32pjawwn.jpeg

Easy pickings. There’s one of those hovering things in front of a solid gold chest.

Make your throw, with Backstab and Surprise Attack.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Thraxxagar

I assume they are not tall enough to just walk through as if they were person sized? I'll ask Roy "How did you pass this way last? Is that level the control for these?"

There is a lot of them, and they’re very sharp.

You could do anything from jumping from an allies hands, to covering a section in any relevant equipment you can think of to soften it as you climb over.

You tell me what you try, and I’ll ask for a check only if it requires it.

You don’t know what the lever does, but you can find out...

• Options
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 13/24

Wylan pushes with all his might against the beast, shoving it back after it had leapt through the air onto him. He didn't hear anything other than this raptor at the moment, so we wasn't sure how Ashala was faring against their opponent, but he had successfully done what he needed to do, focus this thing's attention on him alone. Still, the bite in his shoulder was stinging, and as he swung his glaive back down on it, he wasn't able to put the full force of his strength behind it.

Actions

Geth, roll 1d10+2 for Glaive Dmg

Glaive Dmg:
    1d10+2 8 [1d10=6]

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

You cut off one of the raptors arms!

It recoils from you!

—Ashala is up next.

Slashing Injury:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Mr. Grungle

Are we rolling for attacks? I thought all attacks auto-hit?

• Options
    Mr. Grungle

Are we rolling for attacks? I thought all attacks auto-hit?

He said sneak and surprise, so I think he's just talking about the extra dmg rolls for those.