As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Today in NOPE, world's largest NOPE opens in Portugal:

https://youtu.be/y-qi9xhTDJQ

I wonder how many people will have to be rescued from that, when they look down just freeze, unable to move any further.

Because - fuck that.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That looks like a suuuuper-stable bridge to me and there's a ton of structure blocking your view, so I think it's one of those things that looks much worse than it is. Once you start walking across it, I'm betting most "nope" folks would end up going "not actually that bad".

I mean, the railings are like shoulder height and all the structure is dense enough that you can't stick more than your fingers through it, so it doesn't have either of those pressing mental horrors like accidentally flipping over the railing or slipping and falling out the side or something. And the thing hardly even moves despite all those people on it.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    That looks like a suuuuper-stable bridge to me and there's a ton of structure blocking your view, so I think it's one of those things that looks much worse than it is. Once you start walking across it, I'm betting most "nope" folks would end up going "not actually that bad".

I mean, the railings are like shoulder height and all the structure is dense enough that you can't stick more than your fingers through it, so it doesn't have either of those pressing mental horrors like accidentally flipping over the railing or slipping and falling out the side or something. And the thing hardly even moves despite all those people on it.

Yeah I'd walk that without too much issue.

Now the one in China(?) that has a floor made out of high res LCD panels with ones that spiderweb along with a glass cracking noise? Nope. Nuh uh.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Slate captures the moment when a couple realizes that their wedding will have thousands of loud, horny bugs in attendance:
    When did you really realize that your wedding date fell in the middle of Brood X?

Honestly, it really dawned on me yesterday.

Yesterday!

You know, I had all of the facts, but I hadn’t yet put it all together. I was doing some wedding-related stuff yesterday, and was seeing more social media posts about people being freaked out about the cicadas coming, and I was like … oh … oh no!

Oh man.

And then I’m looking online and people are saying, “It’s fine as long as you’re not in a wooded area”—well, great, we’re in the woods.

I doubt this would happen to @Arch or @BugBoy here.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh my god I would fucking love it if my wedding was gatecrashed by a cicada mob that would be magical
    Could save money on a band.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Slate captures the moment when a couple realizes that their wedding will have thousands of loud, horny bugs in attendance:
    When did you really realize that your wedding date fell in the middle of Brood X?

Yesterday!

You know, I had all of the facts, but I hadn’t yet put it all together. I was doing some wedding-related stuff yesterday, and was seeing more social media posts about people being freaked out about the cicadas coming, and I was like … oh … oh no!

Oh man.

And then I’m looking online and people are saying, “It’s fine as long as you’re not in a wooded area”—well, great, we’re in the woods.

I doubt this would happen to Arch or BugBoy here.

I bet they would plan their wedding to fall on exactly the right day for maximum cicada.

Orca on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    My wife and I are actually going out to collect those Cicadas so....

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I doubt this would happen on accident to Arch or BugBoy here

FTFY AngelHedgie

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Brood X sounds like something you got to deal with in the MCU.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

They exist in the comics. Basically zerg but instead of using bigger zerg as space ships they use rocket sharks with lasers on their heads.

They were under the X-men license but I guess they're back on the table in time for Guardians 3.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Orca wrote: »

Yesterday!

Oh man.

I doubt this would happen to Arch or BugBoy here.

I bet they would plan their wedding to fall on exactly the right day foe maximum cicada.

We didn't get an article on Slate, but our wedding at the Morton Arboretum (near Chicago) was 14 years ago when multiple broods were out.

And we got serenaded by both a million cicadas and Aretha Franklin (she was holding a concert there that weekend).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxcCfWYvaA

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    People always say their wedding day is the happiest day of their life but this is the first time I've totally believed it

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Bad news: Gay couple has pride flag stolen from their property.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/05/02/unlikely-bandit-takes-couples-pride-flag-university-heights-home/

Gone right: Neighbor replaces it and buys flags for a bunch of neighbors who want to show solidarity.

Bad news: It's stolen again.

Gone best: Neighborhood raccoon now has two pride flags lining its nest.
    “Our dog started barking out the window and like directly at the tree. So I opened the blinds, looked out the window and saw this little red and orange stripe. I said ‘Oh my gosh, I think that’s our Pride flag’ and I looked and saw a big, fat raccoon walking up the limb, back and forth,” said Olivo.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I’m thinking original TMNT series, a group of insectoid mooks from Dimension X, probably one named Antrax or something

• Options
    Belgian farmer accidentally invades France:
    A farmer in Belgium has caused a stir after inadvertently redrawing the country's border with France.

A local history enthusiast was walking in the forest when he noticed the stone marking the boundary between the two countries had moved 2.29m (7.5ft).

The Belgian farmer, apparently annoyed by the stone in his tractor's path, had moved it inside French territory.

Instead of causing international uproar, the incident has been met with smiles on both sides of the border.

"He made Belgium bigger and France smaller, it's not a good idea," David Lavaux, mayor of the Belgian village of Erquelinnes, told French TV channel TF1. That sort of move caused a headache between private landowners, he pointed out, let alone neighbouring states.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A farmer in Belgium has caused a stir after inadvertently redrawing the country's border with France.

A local history enthusiast was walking in the forest when he noticed the stone marking the boundary between the two countries had moved 2.29m (7.5ft).

The Belgian farmer, apparently annoyed by the stone in his tractor's path, had moved it inside French territory.

Instead of causing international uproar, the incident has been met with smiles on both sides of the border.

"He made Belgium bigger and France smaller, it's not a good idea," David Lavaux, mayor of the Belgian village of Erquelinnes, told French TV channel TF1. That sort of move caused a headache between private landowners, he pointed out, let alone neighbouring states.

I fucking swear, if this is what kicks off WWIII, then I am done with reality's writers.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I fucking swear, if this is what kicks off WWIII, then I am done with reality's writers.

I for one am glad reality got some more competent writers and got rid of that hack who thought a Google Maps bug drawing an border a couple of km off and sparking an international military invasion of Nicaragua was a realistic scenario.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Why would you fucking use Google Maps as your system-of-record for this.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Look, any excuse for a coffee break...

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

It's cheaper than training or hiring a cartographer? Also it's an incredibly easy to access resource that doesn't require your own IT department

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I dunno I feel like when you are leading the military of a sovereign nation into an invasion of another country then maybe you should do some double-checking beyond fucking Google Maps.

Fucking idiot.

• Options
    Science answers the hard hitting questions:

Short version: Cats seem drawn to sit in squares, even optical illusion based ones.

• Options
    This is actually not all that surprising - if you draw an actual square on the ground, a cat will stand in the middle of it. The addition of the illusion does, however, serve as a great reinforcement of some fundamental principles of visual cognition that appear to be shared between cats and humans. Which makes sense, given we're both mammals with a shared evolutionary history.

What a fun research idea, though!

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    oh my god I would fucking love it if my wedding was gatecrashed by a cicada mob that would be magical
    Could save money on a band.

I went to my cousin's wedding in Brazil that was in a fancy golf course, with the clubhouse right at the edge of the forest. The room with the dance floor had a gimmick in that the whole side wall could be rolled back so you were just looking out into the wild.

Come the first dance, when they had the spotlight go on the happy couple, it was like something out of Starship Troopers...

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This is actually not all that surprising - if you draw an actual square on the ground, a cat will stand in the middle of it. The addition of the illusion does, however, serve as a great reinforcement of some fundamental principles of visual cognition that appear to be shared between cats and humans. Which makes sense, given we're both mammals with a shared evolutionary history.

What a fun research idea, though!

I wonder if I can get funding for researching why cats like being cuddled

An itemised list of expenses:

1: all the cats
    2: big bag of treats
    3: what the heck, some treats for the cats as well

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Science: solving all of the burning questions about cats that were in our minds.

https://www.popsugar.com/pets/do-cat-buttholes-touch-all-surfaces-in-your-home-experiment-48292842
    For his homeschool science fair project, Kaeden tackled one of the most perplexing questions stumping pet owners: "Does your cat's butthole really touch all the surfaces in your home?"

Kaeden, like many others out there, assumed that if his cat sits on a surface, then their "butthole will also touch said surface," and to test his hypothesis, he and his mom, Kerry, applied nontoxic lipstick (bright red lipstick, in fact!) to the buttholes of their two well-behaved cats. The cats were then given a series of commands — including sit, wait, lie down, and jump up — and were compensated with praise and treats. The lipstick was removed with a baby wipe once they collected the necessary data, which took place in less than 10 minutes.
    Invented by a homeschooled 6th grader! Cats hate him!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So what was the result? I need to know. Site's not working for me and my cat's about to wake up.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    There was a little bit of smearing on soft surfaces but the paper that the cat sat on remained clean

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    There was a little bit of smearing on soft surfaces but the paper that the cat sat on remained clean

That might be due more to the fact that lipstick is designed to stay on these days, we should probably replicate the experiment with a number of different substances applied to the cat buttholes to be sure.

• Options
    Ohio legislator tries to hide that he is driving while in a Zoom meeting, fails miserably:
    Andrew Brenner, a state senator in Ohio, is getting some heat for driving while participating in a Zoom call earlier this week. The Ohio Senate is currently taking up a bill that would create additional penalties for distracted driving and a local newspaper, the Columbus Dispatch, pointed out the irony of the situation.

But local media aren’t discussing perhaps the funniest aspect of this whole minor scandal: Brenner turned on a virtual background to make it appear like he was at home in his office. And he failed miserably.

Monday’s meeting of the Ohio Controlling Board was just 13 minutes long, but those were apparently precious minutes that Brenner couldn’t waste. Brenner turned his camera on and off repeatedly in an apparent effort to disguise where he was actually calling from.

Using your kitchen as a background won't hide the seatbelt across your chest.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Ohio legislator tries to hide that he is driving while in a Zoom meeting, fails miserably:
    Andrew Brenner, a state senator in Ohio, is getting some heat for driving while participating in a Zoom call earlier this week. The Ohio Senate is currently taking up a bill that would create additional penalties for distracted driving and a local newspaper, the Columbus Dispatch, pointed out the irony of the situation.

But local media aren’t discussing perhaps the funniest aspect of this whole minor scandal: Brenner turned on a virtual background to make it appear like he was at home in his office. And he failed miserably.

Monday’s meeting of the Ohio Controlling Board was just 13 minutes long, but those were apparently precious minutes that Brenner couldn’t waste. Brenner turned his camera on and off repeatedly in an apparent effort to disguise where he was actually calling from.

Bad news: not taking his job seriously
    Good news: he was wearing his seatbelt

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Bad news: not taking his job seriously
    Good news: he was wearing his seatbelt

The seatbelt doesn't help the pedestrians you run over or the other cars you collide with, etc.

Put your damn phone away while you're driving, folks.

• Options
    Army recruit hijacks school bus, gets questioned into submission by the kids:
    A U.S. Army trainee hijacked a bus full of elementary school students Thursday in South Carolina -- but let them go after they pestered him with questions.

The trainee left Fort Jackson with a rifle around 7 a.m. and tried to hitch a ride on Interstate 77 before spotting the school bus stop, where he boarded the bus and ordered the driver to take him to the next town, reported NBC News.

"[He] told the bus driver that he didn't want to hurt him, but he wanted him to drive him to the next town," said Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott.

The trainee, who was in his third week at the base, brought all 18 children to the front of the bus, where they "frustrated" him by "asking lots of questions to the suspect, if he was going to hurt them or the bus driver," the sheriff said.

He then let the children and driver off the bus and drove himself a short distance before abandoning it with the rifle still on board.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The rifle not being loaded and nobody being hurt is as close to "gone right" as that story goes.

But really, there's no real "gone right" here. What a fucking shitshow.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The rifle not being loaded and nobody being hurt is as close to "gone right" as that story goes.

But really, there's no real "gone right" here. What a fucking shitshow.

It's the good old days of "Where's the Gone Right, Hedgie?"

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Well, everyone came away unharmed and they captured the guy. So it could have been worse?

• Options
    Okay, who invited Tube to New Zealand?
    New Zealand is a hedgehog paradise. Whereas in Europe they are hunted by pine martens, foxes and badgers, New Zealand’s hedgehogs have few predators. Unchecked by the food chain, they meander blissfully through forests and gardens, hoovering up an astonishing number of native creatures.

With the exception of a few local bats, New Zealand has no native land-based mammals. Its bird population adapted to this state of affairs – some, like the Kiwi, are flightless, or nest on the ground. When stoats, cats, possums and rats were introduced, they wreaked havoc: crunching down rare insects, killing fresh-hatched chicks, and slurping the eggs of ground-nesting birds.

Hedgehogs are also key culprits. “It’s increasingly coming to light how much damage they can do,” says Nick Foster, a PhD candidate at the University of Otago who is researching hedgehogs. A single, dedicated hedgehog will consume numerous native lizards, bird eggs, and wētā – a kind of large flightless cricket found only in New Zealand. One study found 283 wētā legs in a single hedgehog stomach. “That means in a 24-hour period this hedgehog has guzzled up 60 or so animals,” Foster says. “It’s a banquet.”

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Where’s the good news? Invasive species decimating native ecology is bad.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    But they are so cute!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    But they are so cute!

Says the cat person. QED.

This discussion has been closed.