Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    I enjoyed the note in the article that 1080 is also used in Western Australia, because it's naturally occurring there. So the local plants and critters have evolved to be immune to it, naturally.

Australian wildlife strikes again!

I swear all we need for real life space Marines is Australians and power armor.

Then the Australian Space Marines would lose embarrasingly to a bunch of emus.

Yeah, but they'd be space emus. They're more like cassowarys.

And let's be fair here, Cassowary are terrifying. Emu? Pretty nice! Very chill. Easily spooked by geese (I once had to "Defend" the Emu in the Australian exhibit from an aussie goose that was beign a jerk. And by this i mean the Emu, both as tall as me, stood behind me while a grey goose that didn't even reach my knee attempted to threaten them). I mean, they're still big birds, I dont recommend pissing off an Emu, but they're not you know, that bad. Chill enough that multiple zoos let em free roam where they can interact with people, and you know how dumb people as a whole are. (Also if you've never seen a baby emu playing chase with a zookeeper, you're missed out in life)

Cassowary meanwhile have no idea they're no longer raptors. They're omnivores who mostly focus on fruit, but anyone who pays attention to nature knows it's never the predators you watch out for (They're LAZY most of the time and meals that fight back are not wort the trouble). But Omnivores or Herbivores? Oh boy. Do Not Fuck With These Things.

And this one is armed with GIANT FEET RAZORS.
    Southern_cassowary_feet.jpg

Attached to legs they run on every. single. fucking. day. Every day is leg day for these fucks. DO not invite them to kick you, you will spend your remaining moments trying to figure out why your spleen and stomach are no longer part of your bodily anatomy.

And yet it was emus that defeated the Australian army.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I mean, you take away their feathers and many birds end up looking like velociraptors with beaks.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the note in the article that 1080 is also used in Western Australia, because it's naturally occurring there. So the local plants and critters have evolved to be immune to it, naturally.

And let's be fair here, Cassowary are terrifying. Emu? Pretty nice! Very chill. Easily spooked by geese (I once had to "Defend" the Emu in the Australian exhibit from an aussie goose that was beign a jerk. And by this i mean the Emu, both as tall as me, stood behind me while a grey goose that didn't even reach my knee attempted to threaten them). I mean, they're still big birds, I dont recommend pissing off an Emu, but they're not you know, that bad. Chill enough that multiple zoos let em free roam where they can interact with people, and you know how dumb people as a whole are. (Also if you've never seen a baby emu playing chase with a zookeeper, you're missed out in life)

Cassowary meanwhile have no idea they're no longer raptors. They're omnivores who mostly focus on fruit, but anyone who pays attention to nature knows it's never the predators you watch out for (They're LAZY most of the time and meals that fight back are not wort the trouble). But Omnivores or Herbivores? Oh boy. Do Not Fuck With These Things.

Attached to legs they run on every. single. fucking. day. Every day is leg day for these fucks. DO not invite them to kick you, you will spend your remaining moments trying to figure out why your spleen and stomach are no longer part of your bodily anatomy.

Emus travel in flocks (herds?), cassowaries are solitary.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Big birds are basically zerglings tho

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

And really as I recall, it was the fact that they cottoned onto the dudes with guns and vehicles were Bad News pretty fast, which made actually chasing them down to kill them pretty difficult.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

Yes, but that's because they never even tried to challenge the Cassowary Legions.

And really as I recall, it was the fact that they cottoned onto the dudes with guns and vehicles were Bad News pretty fast, which made actually chasing them down to kill them pretty difficult.

Classic insurgency tactics.

shryke on
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Hm. Fluoroacetic acid is bad shit.

I wonder how on target they actually are. We use a different poison (I think) to control pest mammals here in the states and it is ... not specific. At all.

Its probably more targeted in NZ because unless its a bat, all mammals are invasive pests. So it can only target the invasive ones by default.

Yeah, this.

Our native mammals are... some bats. That's it. (They're pretty cute, trying to evolve back into land dwellers, and of course, endangered.) You could make an argument for Kune-Kune (pigs brought here by the maori, the name translates to "Fat and Round", they're dorable jolly things), but they're not really endagered and well supported with breeding programs, as well as being a semi-popular pet. I'd like to have some myself some day, they're lovely. Very scritchable, super friendly, very trainable.

If there's a drop, there's signs warning you not to take your dog in the area, you fucking moron. It has been HUGELY successful in wiping out a lot of things - this is why it pisses off hunting groups, because their precious deer eat it and die. (I have a very, very dim view of hunters and guns in New Zealand, as we simply lack any kind of non-introduced fauna that actually requires this or justifies that sort of hunting. There's not a living off the land excuse, or self defense, it's all for sport).

The 1080 bait itself is 0.15% sodium fluoroacetic, the rest is just cereal, binder, and green dye (which makes it very visible to us humans so we dont grab it and eat it thinking it's bush candy or something). All the research etc backs this, and it's not like we've sat there going "This is good enough" - DOC (Department of Conversation) continuously funds looking for alternatives, and bait drops are only part of the anti-pest strategy (we have predator free reserves, including one in my very city, community trapping programs, predator free islands, there's a lot of work going on.)

But for the wild areas, there's simply few options as good as aerial drops of 1080 - you cannot do intensive trapping like you can in suburban bush or farm-land adjacent bush in the really wild areas. And trapping doesnt let you cull deer or goats at that (And would be hazardous to our native kiwi etc)

and the thing is? This is working. Last i checked, we're on track to be predator free by 2050. The city i live in has an increasing diversity of native bird life thanks to our trapping programs - bird life that used to be infrequent sightings for me is now turning up in my back yard. There are even some people complaining about hte fact that one of our native parrots - the Kaka, the north island relative of the more famous Kea - is cheerily eviscerating non-native trees across the city now. (Native trees, meanwhile, are just fine, because they evolved to deal with these antics from the Kaka)

It's good to hear one of these kind of programs is actually going well. So often it feels like getting rid of invasive species is like fighting the tide.

Also I think it's kind of amusing that there's not really native fauna in NZ to hunt because the Maori got to them first.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Cat lover chiming in just to say I wholeheartedly agree that most pet cats should be indoor only. Maybe with an exception for farm cats, because they do actually serve as important rodent control... but imho all non-native cats should definitely be neutered or spayed unless you're a licensed breeder.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Bad news: bad news.

Gone right:
    https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-corner-cutting-reveals-about-modernity

This is a really good article on the cultural issues that produce... well, collapsing glass bridges that someone has to rescue themselves from. It's a complex problem

I had been looking for that article and couldn't find it, and then you posted it. Thank you! Something actually went right after the bad news.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Skeith wrote: »

The gone wrong is that this tiger escaped. The gone right is that this sheriffs deputy a) didn't shoot the tiger, b) didn't get mauled (nor did anyone else so far as I know), c) gave an amazing line with "Fuck you and your fucking tiger." The gone whatever is the owner put the tiger in his SUV and took off.

This made it to the evening news here in Michigan and some of the other details are just bonkers. It was apparently loose for 10-20 minutes with a children's birthday party in a backyard nearby, the owner didn't realize it was out. The sheriff deputy lives in the neighborhood and went out to deal with it himself when the owner heard the commotion.

Said owner sounds like a real piece of work. Out on bail, hiding the pet from his landlord, and fled the scene with the tiger and with police in pursuit, as of the last update I can find hadn't yet returned.

Edit: Also resurrected a bit of local lore: in Saginaw Michigan, on Washington street, there's a derelict Victorian house with a large wrought iron cage in the side yard. Years ago that cage housed a panther (nobody seems to remember if it was a black leopard or black mountain lion, newspaper clippings about it just call it a panther). The family's adult son walked it regularly through downtown until he died. The family then ran a classified offering decent money for a "strong young man to walk large family pet," but nobody was willing to go near the thing. They finally donated it to the Children's Zoo, who had no idea wtf to do with it, and stories get fuzzy and diverge from there.

Tl;Dr: big cats shouldn't be pets, seriously wtf is wrong with people

Hevach on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    We've got some 30-40% of the population that, despite being expressly taught in school that vaccines are good and have saved countless millions of lives, are still choosing to turn up their noses at a free vaccine to save millions. Shit, a huge part of that population still carries the scar from the vaccinations in the 50s and 60s that helped finally wipe out smallpox and they still won't get vaccinated now.

It does not surprise me at that there is a large number of mouth-breathers who overlap with people who have gotten enough money in some stupid way to not only get a stupid pet like a tiger, but want to do it. You could literally suffocate them in a mountain of evidence showing that tamed wild animals are completely different from domesticated animals and they would rather die and keep their dumbass exotic pets than entertain the idea that they're wrong.

And I would also 100% believe that it never occurs to most of them that such animals could threaten anybody else, seeing as they fully believe they have some sort of "special" bond with these creatures and they wouldn't hurt anybody.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yes, but that's because they never even tried to challenge the Cassowary Legions.

Yeah it was one officer, one NCO & one soldier and they lost by not killing as many as they had hoped for

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ah, the old Reverse Zap Brannigan ploy. Interesting choice of strategy.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

This whole conversation has me thinking that Cassowary might have the correct idea about what they are and it's the rest of us who need to adjust.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Yeah it was one officer, one NCO & one soldier and they lost by not killing as many as they had hoped for

People conjure up images of full companies of soldiers clashing with emus but the reality was even dumber.

For anyone unfamiliar with the history:

https://youtu.be/BXpu6tbFCsI?t=80

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PSA: When logging into Zoom Court, check your user name:

https://youtu.be/yH3Y_4wc0Ng

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Ok so

Nobody else in the call reacts which is either some serious multitasking or they got their laughs out before this clip started

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Jesus what is going on in that judge's district?

Thats like the 3rd viral event to happen in his courtroom.

emp123 on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

From what I've read, that district live-streams their calls to YouTube in order to meet the requirements for an open court room but doesn't delete them afterward so there are plenty of opportunities for people to watch and make clips of the juicy bits that air. Additionally this judge has a nice blend of presence and humor that his "are you fucking kidding me" moments are pretty funny instead of just boring or "gtfo of my court." I'm guessing most judges everywhere have to deal with this kind of thing, but now that there is minor celebrity status on the internet for this guy, people will mine it for content clicks and reddit karma

• Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/us/houston-tiger-murder-suspect-trnd/index.html

Follow up on the tiger guy: he was out on bail for a homicide. He's been arrested for running from police, but the tiger is unaccounted for. Article says it's loose but doesn't sound like they know that, he could have passed it off to somebody else. Possession of a big cat is legal in Texas with restrictions, but a misdemeanor in the city.

The judge issued $50k bond, but warned him about paying it since it looks like his $250k is likely to be revoked.

His lawyer says he doesn't own or know the tiger, he's just a good guy who went outside and wrangled it, then fled police to take it home but he can't say where it's home is or where he took it because it's not his tiger.

Gone right: uh... Free tiger?

Hevach on
  • Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

From what I've read, that district live-streams their calls to YouTube in order to meet the requirements for an open court room but doesn't delete them afterward so there are plenty of opportunities for people to watch and make clips of the juicy bits that air. Additionally this judge has a nice blend of presence and humor that his "are you fucking kidding me" moments are pretty funny instead of just boring or "gtfo of my court." I'm guessing most judges everywhere have to deal with this kind of thing, but now that there is minor celebrity status on the internet for this guy, people will mine it for content clicks and reddit karma

The clip starts with the judge saying “we’ll bring this ...fool...in” which seems...unprofessional?

• Options

The clip starts with the judge saying “we’ll bring this ...fool...in” which seems...unprofessional?

Counterpoint: he basically showed up to court wearing a name tag that says, "Hi my name is Buttfucker 3000," so while judgement may be unprofessional it's not unexpected.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Ok so

Nobody else in the call reacts which is either some serious multitasking or they got their laughs out before this clip started

Oh watch the clip more closely when the judge asks "So your name is not "Buttfucker 3000?" there's some reactions and some people trying not to react. The thing is the court treats Zoom conferences as if you're in the actual courtroom so busting out laughing while saying "Oh my god are you fucking kidding me?" can and will make the judge grumpy. With this judge in particular I imagine his fuse for dealing with bullshit over zoom has gotten increasingly short.

As for “we’ll bring this ...fool...in” judges, well, they kinda get to be as rude as they want in most circumstances. They usually aren't rude out of the blue with no reason but I'd chalk that comment up to "don't make the judge grumpy". In this instance by using Buttfucker 3000 as a screen name which I assume the judge could very much see before brining Mr. Saxon into the conference.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Follow up on the tiger guy: he was out on bail for a homicide. He's been arrested for running from police, but the tiger is unaccounted for. Article says it's loose but doesn't sound like they know that, he could have passed it off to somebody else. Possession of a big cat is legal in Texas with restrictions, but a misdemeanor in the city.

The judge issued $50k bond, but warned him about paying it since it looks like his $250k is likely to be revoked.

His lawyer says he doesn't own or know the tiger, he's just a good guy who went outside and wrangled it, then fled police to take it home but he can't say where it's home is or where he took it because it's not his tiger.

PAUL!

YOUR FATHER IS IN DANGER!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would argue that "let's bring in Mr Buttfucker 3000" would be more unprofessional, so...

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I would argue that "let's bring in Mr Buttfucker 3000" would be more unprofessional, so...

Excuse me, Mr Buttfucker Three Thousand is my father's name. I go by Trey K.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The guy does seem honestly shocked to learn that fact tho, I wonder if he was on a public computer and the last person changed the name as they left old school prank style.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Phyphor wrote: »

People conjure up images of full companies of soldiers clashing with emus but the reality was even dumber.

For anyone unfamiliar with the history:

https://youtu.be/BXpu6tbFCsI?t=80

[If Australia] lasts for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    (adjusts onion)

Dear London teenagers - what is this about?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    (adjusts onion)

Dear London teenagers - what is this about?

People getting stuck in kid's swings is nothing new but it's just been the lone person of questionable judgment before, not a fad.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

I'm on Team Tiger and have been since day 1.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    We're grrrree- ah shit, I don't use my 'Talky Tawny sipping a martini' avatar on here.

Clover, anyone?

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Ok so

Oh watch the clip more closely when the judge asks "So your name is not "Buttfucker 3000?" there's some reactions and some people trying not to react. The thing is the court treats Zoom conferences as if you're in the actual courtroom so busting out laughing while saying "Oh my god are you fucking kidding me?" can and will make the judge grumpy. With this judge in particular I imagine his fuse for dealing with bullshit over zoom has gotten increasingly short.

As for “we’ll bring this ...fool...in” judges, well, they kinda get to be as rude as they want in most circumstances. They usually aren't rude out of the blue with no reason but I'd chalk that comment up to "don't make the judge grumpy". In this instance by using Buttfucker 3000 as a screen name which I assume the judge could very much see before brining Mr. Saxon into the conference.

Judges absolutely will call you out on your shit. It's your responsibility to have your crap in order and be presentable to the court. That guy is absolutely lucky that the judge didn't hit him up with a contempt of court fine right then and there and simply got called out online and put on timeout in a zoom waiting room. It was the guys responsibility to check this kind of thing. I get how easy it is to forget (more than once I've logged into a work call as my son and him into school as me when we've shared the laptop), but that's exchanging proper first names (and the judge would probably have been tolerant of that). The fact of the matter is, he logged into court proceedings with his display name as "Buttfucker 3000".

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Ok so

Judges absolutely will call you out on your shit. It's your responsibility to have your crap in order and be presentable to the court. That guy is absolutely lucky that the judge didn't hit him up with a contempt of court fine right then and there and simply got called out online and put on timeout in a zoom waiting room. It was the guys responsibility to check this kind of thing. I get how easy it is to forget (more than once I've logged into a work call as my son and him into school as me when we've shared the laptop), but that's exchanging proper first names (and the judge would probably have been tolerant of that). The fact of the matter is, he logged into court proceedings with his display name as "Buttfucker 3000".

I didn't watch the video, but I do think people should be given more leeway with technical issues than in in-person court. Lots of people don't have much computer experience and the Buttfucker dude could have just as easily been that lawyer with the cat filter turned on by their kid who didn't know how to turn it off.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Blarghy wrote: »
    Ok so

I didn't watch the video, but I do think people should be given more leeway with technical issues than in in-person court. Lots of people don't have much computer experience and the Buttfucker dude could have just as easily been that lawyer with the cat filter turned on by their kid who didn't know how to turn it off.

What more leeway do you want? Judge told him he was being dumb, and sent him to wait in a zoom waiting room to "think about his online names". From the video, that was the beginning and end of it. I wasn't saying that the judge SHOULD have been harsher with him, I'm saying the guy is lucky he wasn't.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Ok so

What more leeway do you want? Judge told him he was being dumb, and sent him to wait in a zoom waiting room to "think about his online names". From the video, that was the beginning and end of it. I wasn't saying that the judge SHOULD have been harsher with him, I'm saying the guy is lucky he wasn't.

That sounds like it was handled appropriately. However, it really shouldn't be a matter of luck when an issue like this crops up, any more than it should be a matter of luck than when an officer pulls you over for speeding that you don't get a nightstick in the face. Courts should recognize that people may not be familiar with technology and may well be nervous and behave accordingly.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ok so

That sounds like it was handled appropriately. However, it really shouldn't be a matter of luck when an issue like this crops up, any more than it should be a matter of luck than when an officer pulls you over for speeding that you don't get a nightstick in the face. Courts should recognize that people may not be familiar with technology and may well be nervous and behave accordingly.

Maybe you could watch the video? It's 1 minute and 12 seconds long, it probably took you longer to write about how you didn't watch the video but have problems with the way it was handled then it would to actually watch the video and see that it was handled appropriately.
    Dude signed in with an obscene name, the judge said that's not appropriate for court, go wait in Zoom limbo for a bit (not said, but "...and fix your screen name" seems implied). Dude changed his name on the zoom call then got sent back into the waiting room.

• Options
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Really need to see a photo of the arrested, because right now all I can imagine is Patton Oswalt's Reno 911 character.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Counterpoint: he basically showed up to court wearing a name tag that says, "Hi my name is Buttfucker 3000," so while judgement may be unprofessional it's not unexpected.

The judge called him a fool before he knew the dude's screen name tho.

This discussion has been closed.