As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    In kink asking why, we have the case of the removal of one hell of a self-inflicted colonic blockage:
    Now, a team of physicians at the AAST Grand Hospital in Milan have added a new tool to the arsenal after a particularly challenging instance forced them to innovate. Writing in BMJ Case Reports, endoscopist Dr Lorenzo Dioscoridi and his colleagues detail the treatment of a 31-year-old man who presented to the emergency room with a girthy, 60-centimeter (23 inch) rubber dildo lodged inside him.

During the initial examination and questioning by the staff on duty, the man explained that the toy was "not removable by hand" and had been stuck for 24 hours. Yet, other than some mild abdominal pain, he was feeling fine. When an X-ray revealed the sheer magnitude of the problem, he was referred to the endoscopy unit.

Did it not have a flared base or something?

Probably not big enough. From the X-ray the dildo is roughly as wide as his spine and the base is only about twice it's width. Get going energetically at just the right angle annnnnd..

A quick Google search found the likely product: a double-ended dildo, obviously without a flared base. (Or middle in this case.) The "base" visible on the x-ray is just the other end, at a weird angle because it's been shoved up someone's ass.

Thank you so much for finding that out and also for keeping my internet search history clear of that

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    There is a part of me that just doesn't believe something could get stuck in my butt, which probably means I'll be awesomeing an article about me one day.

If you're ever in the kink community, a repeated piece of advice that comes up/gets yelled at idiot newbies is never to stick anything up your butt that doesn't have a flared base - a significant flared base.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    There is a part of me that just doesn't believe something could get stuck in my butt, which probably means I'll be awesomeing an article about me one day.

If you're ever in the kink community, a repeated piece of advice that comes up/gets yelled at idiot newbies is never to stick anything up your butt that doesn't have a flared base - a significant flared base.

Instructions unclear, shoved lit flare up my ass

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Instructions unclear, shoved lit flare up my ass

Rest in pieces, Orca.

Literally.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

That's just it, though. I've heard the advice, I've seen the evidence, yet still I doubt. I've got too much unearned confidence and trying to warn me only makes it more likely that I will end up in the ER after trying to prove a point.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

That's just it, though. I've heard the advice, I've seen the evidence, yet still I doubt. I've got too much unearned confidence and trying to warn me only makes it more likely that I will end up in the ER after trying to prove a point.

You're pursuing the scientific method.

You have your theory, now go and experiment !

Don't forgot to take lots of notes and, ideally, photos and/or video.

Start with something small, like a baby carrot, and stick it up there. Way up there.

Then test how easy it comes out !

This time next month you'll be testing a 18" double ended dildo !

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    "Ehh, What's up there, Doc?"

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "Eh... Shoulda taken the left toin at Duodenum!"

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    2021: Jewish space lasers as conspiracy theory.

2022: Actual Jewish space lasers:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

I don't really see a gone right here

I can't wait for reports of bystanders blinded by specular reflection

That's class 4 with a bullet.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Didnt the US Navy test something similar a couple of days ago?

Either way the fires are going to be unreal.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I see someone watched History of The World Part 2 and Real Genius at the same time

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

Joy.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Yeah looking it up it's apparently about twice as powerful as the current LaWS system developed some years back.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

Yeah looking it up it's apparently about twice as powerful as the current LaWS system developed some years back.

Hell, isn't that why the Gerald Ford class Carriers have four fission power plants on them? Under the assumption that they will be rigged up with energy weapons in the near future?

(Or more likely energy point defense systems. Might be the US military's solution to the hypersonic missile problem)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rail-gun catapults.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular

I'm not exactly pro warfare myself, but you really don't see the gone right of a defensive weapon system designed to shoot down rockets fired at civilian targets?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    AkimboEG wrote: »

I'm not exactly pro warfare myself, but you really don't see the gone right of a defensive weapon system designed to shoot down rockets fired at civilian targets?

It's apartheid Israel so...no, no I don't. I'm also imagining specular reflections and wondering how far away from them before you don't have to worry about permanent eye damage given a laser that's probably in the hundreds of kilowatts to megawatt range. You know, like the civilians that weapon is putatively supposed to be protecting.

Orca on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    forget it

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    As someone who actually had to get up in the middle of the day/night and run out of the house and into a nearby concrete shelter - with about a minute warning - for fear of my life due to incoming rocket volleys, please, by all means, go fuck yourself.

I'll get right on that just as soon as Israel stops stealing"settling" land from Palestinians.

Oh, and exploding them. That'd be a good thing for the Israeli government to stop doing as well.

Unfortunately I suspect we'll both be dead before we're done waiting.

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Given the stated system of two beams with a total output of up to 150 kW, and assuming a beam divergence of 1 milliradian (which may be generous, I don't know if it should be higher because it's so powerful/thicker beam or lower because of military grade focusing optics or what), and assuming a wavelength that our human eye lenses focus (unclear from the video, couldn't find anything in related sources), you're looking at a Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance of maybe 40 to 55 miles. Source. The math works out to about 24 feet times the square root of the power (in milliwatts), divided by the divergence (in milliradians). So yeah, eye damage in bystanders is somewhere between "possible" and "inevitable".

On the other hand, ordinance and military drones don't have a lot of specular surfaces, and I can't think of an interception system that doesn't have some risk of collateral injury.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The obvious escalation is to make discoball missiles

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

what would happen if they tried to fire that at a missile with a mirrored shell?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

what would happen if they tried to fire that at a missile with a mirrored shell?

jMbK

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Off-the-shelf mirrors and chrome paint are not perfect reflectors. At these energy levels, they will absorb enough energy to crack, melt, and/or burn. If the laser is knocking these down in 4 seconds, I'd expect a mirror to fail in 8 to 40 seconds, and paint to make no difference at all, but that's a really rough guess. Also don't know if the laser can actually be sustained for that long, or if an incoming shell would impact before then.

Something like space shuttle tiles would hold up better.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Being unhappy that it's now harder for Hamas terrorists to shoot rockets at civilian targets is a bad look no matter how much you hate the state of Israel.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    AlanF5 wrote: »
    Off-the-shelf mirrors and chrome paint are not perfect reflectors. At these energy levels, they will absorb enough energy to crack, melt, and/or burn. If the laser is knocking these down in 4 seconds, I'd expect a mirror to fail in 8 to 40 seconds, and paint to make no difference at all, but that's a really rough guess. Also don't know if the laser can actually be sustained for that long, or if an incoming shell would impact before then.

Something like space shuttle tiles would hold up better.

I also highly doubt these lasers are operating in the visible range, making standard mirrors/chroming even less effective. You'd have to use something reflective against the right wavelength, which could be harder than it sounds.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Same would go for shielding tiles like the shuttle. Those are extremely good black bodies in visible and infrared, but would be more vulnerable to a hypothetical high intensity UV laser. Even in infrared, they absorb energy very quickly, but also emit it very efficiently. It's possible to put more energy into them than they can shed, at which point they'll start conducting heat through to the underlying structure.

At high enough energy levels lasers are very hard to defend against because things that work great at low levels aren't perfect, and inefficiency generally converts the waste to heat.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They might have... other goals in mind

https://youtu.be/8HgejSCHRi8

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Wavelengths outside of the visible range increase the potential for eye damage as well, since it may not trigger the blink reflex.

Damage is, if I'm remembering right, a matter of the cumulative energy deposited on whichever body part, which is wavelength-dependent. Blink reflexes and similar reduce the total energy because after N milliseconds your muscles twitch and break the beam (which will now begin heating your eyelid).

I'd be surprised if the true dangerous range is out to 50 miles unless we're talking "pointed directly at person on a plane", at which point they need to worry about getting shot out of the sky as well, but a shorter dangerous radius due to reflections is what I would expect.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Being unhappy that it's now harder for Hamas terrorists to shoot rockets at civilian targets is a bad look no matter how much you hate the state of Israel.

Its more like being unhappy that instead of choosing to treat Palestinians as human beings, Israel is inventing super sci-fi defenses so that they can be immune to any retaliation for any shitty behaviour.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Yes, the 50 miles estimate was for "standing in the beam", and the math is pretty much the same for specular reflections. The NOHD threshold I was calculating was the threshold where permanent eye damage occurs before a blink reflex can protect you. If the laser is engaging a target about 4 miles away, people within about 45 miles of the target may be at risk. Of course, any imperfections in the reflecting surface, or curvature of the surface, are going to reduce that pretty dramatically. I couldn't quite make enough assumptions about the laser to fill in the blanks for a diffuse reflection; here's a thing if you want to give it a go.

As for wavelengths: human eyes do focus near infra-red same as visible, so that kind of light is most dangerous as it is invisible while still being concentrated on the retina. Farther infra-red is not focused, and UV is mostly blocked.

The skin burn hazard distance is about 6.5% of the NOHD, so... about 3.25 miles?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

If Israel wanted to stop Hamas attacks they could do it instantly, by actually coming to the negotiation table in good faith and ceasing the extrajudicial evictions and murder of the Palestinian people. If Hamas are terrorists, fighting back because it's the only way they'll be heard, then what does that make Israel for giving them no other options to be heard?

I will not celebrate the fact they instead chose to develop defenses so they can continue to carry on the personal choice for a campaign of unrepentant genocide against Palestine. While including everyone else they don't like under the convenient excuse of "Hamas is there" to let them bomb journalist offices and civilian apartment buildings, whether or not they have the "courtesy" to call them up and inform them their home and everything in it is about to disappear in a ball of flame.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, remember when a ship got stuck in the Suez Canal, breaking global logistics?

I present Stuck Ship 2: Chesapeake Boogaloo:

Yup, same operator.

In followup, after a month, the Ever Forward is finally moving forward.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Any bets on how long until a third ship from that company gets stuck somewhere?

Nitsua on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Any bets on how long until a third ship from that company gets stuck somewhere?

One year to the week. They have a tradition to uphold.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Now that's one tradition that is evergreen

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Now that's one tradition that is evergreen

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »