As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    That's a very nice steelbook for Cowboy Bebop.

Is that copy of Ghost in the Shell actually the original version of the film, or is it the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 version that replaced a bunch of animation with crappy CGI for some reason, that they keep releasing under just the name "Ghost in the Shell?" I ask because I've already purchased one copy of it on Blu-Ray and I don't want to keep buying the wrong version.

I hate how this franchise names anything. It makes it real hard to like and share it with others.

Do you mean Ghost in the Shell(1995), Ghost in the Shell(2017), Ghost in the Shell 2.0, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, or Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie? (I swear that last one is the name and a real thing) edit: I was making a joke here, I know you meant 2.0

One of these films is a sequel to the original. And yes, 2.0's cgi additions were dated when they got added, and completely ruin the originals gorgeous animation. The grittiness of the cgi it did use for cyberpunk computer UI's was part of the appeal.

Edit: The live action movie from 2017 is fine. I think it stands along side all the other stuff put out. It isn't the worst GitS has to offer, and it does what ghost in the shell does, remixes previous stuff from its other iterations with themes and visuals. They basically have her in every costume from every iteration for fan service along with set pieces, it hits all the same bullet points from all the other stuff. It plays with the major theme of identity and self.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The live-action film is basically unredeemable for me. They ditch everything that is significant about the original movie to make it some government conspiracy crap, with amnesia thrown in for extra-lazy good measure. Change the names and make them do their own scenes instead of ripping off the original movie and you wouldn't even know this was supposed to be GitS.

Then toss in the whitewashing just to make it extra bad. Actually feel bad for Johanssen over this film because she caught a lot of crap for a situation a stupid studio set up; she did a decent job in the role, it's just a role somebody else should've been given.

And they use some kinda filter that makes everything hideous and washed out. A relatively minor gripe but city shots with neon basically pouring off the buildings should pop, not look like old dishwater.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The problem with the GITS movie ultimately is that it's boring. It's just a very dull generic mid-budget scifi action movie. The kind of thing that back in the day would mostly serve to fill out the $5 DVD bin at the grocery store.

Somehow they cast like top-level actors in it and spent $100 million though.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's a shame, because I like some of the film's art design a lot - but the plot and characters are just so drab and boring. I'm not a huge fan of the original GITS (it's good, but it's not altogether for me), but it had personality and ideas, and those were roundly stripped in the live-action film.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The live-action film is basically unredeemable for me. They ditch everything that is significant about the original movie to make it some government conspiracy crap, with amnesia thrown in for extra-lazy good measure. Change the names and make them do their own scenes instead of ripping off the original movie and you wouldn't even know this was supposed to be GitS.

Then toss in the whitewashing just to make it extra bad. Actually feel bad for Johanssen over this film because she caught a lot of crap for a situation a stupid studio set up; she did a decent job in the role, it's just a role somebody else should've been given.

And they use some kinda filter that makes everything hideous and washed out. A relatively minor gripe but city shots with neon basically pouring off the buildings should pop, not look like old dishwater.

Its not built to be a copy of the original movie, just like any of the other properties in the franchise. Every iteration of Ghost in the Shell is about government conspiracy, except the sequel where its an international corporate conspiracy that is large enough to have a armed force in international waters. The franchise is like 007, new versions of bond, new villains, new set pieces, familiar/repeated flare or beats(suits, women, 'shaken not stirred', quips, cars, gadgets, Q, etc). In ghost in the shell, theres cyberpunk setting, cyberbrains hacked, a tank fought by a person, (usually) a gun built into someones arm, someone ripping themselves apart, a 'puppetmaster' villain, the major jumping off rooftops, and optic camouflage, to name a few similar things. This movie fits right in with the rest to be frank. The amnesia parts are weak, but are built into the themeing of self and are a part of her past in other parts of the franchise. While a weak hollywood crutch, its basically the same origin as SAC(she doesnt remember much of being 'human' because she was early prototype for full body replacement after an accident). You can see the hollywood parts at play with batou: getting his eyes halfway through, execs probably thought he looked too evil from the start, and the actor probably wanted to get face time in.

The whitewashing was purposefully part of the plot, it was erasure utilizing an oppressed ethnicity. You could even call it commentary from the writers having to write for a western audience with set restrictions by hollywood. This is another thing intertwined with the franchise though, oppressed ethnicity/refugees/immigrants come up often. The first movie even starts 'despite all the advances in technology, country borders and races are still not obsolete'. While a dated phrasing, its talking in good faith about nationalities and racism still causing conflict. This movie was never going to escape that, and at least tried to work with it. I do think could have handled things better, if they didn't have to leave room for sequels with ScarJo, the obvious ending is to print her a new body that looked like her old one. I think thats a huge failure where they painted themselves into a corner.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Is there a good GiTS narrative book?
    I.e., not a manga/comic unless it looks really good on a Kindle ebook. Thanks.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ketar wrote: »
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've asked this before without much success, but other than Shout Factory, Steelbooks, and Criterion are there any cool special releases of stuff on Blu Ray should look out for?

Arrow and Kino Lorber have some good releases. Arrow is a European distributor, but they produce some of their catalogue region free.

Depending on your tastes, there are other good, more niche companies like Olive Films, Milestone, Powerhouse, and Icarus.

Arrow do nice editions of some unusual movies, with a lot of love in the special features and usually (always? not sure) a nice booklet with various photos and an interesting essay or two about the film or director. I have been stung by accidentally ordering a disc that was not region free though, so make sure to pay attention.

You could consider Vinegar Syndrome, Blue Underground or Severin but those are also pretty niche and don't cater to everyone's tastes.

Arrow used to just include their nice booklets, then they went to first printing only. Now they tend to include an expanded version in their limited edition box set versions of some movies. So it's worth checking if it's there. (I'm missing the one for Elvira: Mistress of the Dark but I think all my others have them.)

They've started getting their hands on some bigger old movies now too, stuff like Robocop (the 1987 original) and An American Werewolf in London, that still fits in with their cult film leanings. They even did the actual UK initial Blu-ray release of Lords of Chaos, which was unexpected but very welcome. I've got several Arrow releases; they clearly put their passion into all of them, generally have excellent special features, and their quality is largely first rate, not to mention if it wasn't for them a lot of these films would be unlikely to have seen HD releases otherwise (who else would have given us Night of the Comet and Knightriders?).

Jazz on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    That's a very nice steelbook for Cowboy Bebop.

Is that copy of Ghost in the Shell actually the original version of the film, or is it the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 version that replaced a bunch of animation with crappy CGI for some reason, that they keep releasing under just the name "Ghost in the Shell?" I ask because I've already purchased one copy of it on Blu-Ray and I don't want to keep buying the wrong version.

I hate how this franchise names anything. It makes it real hard to like and share it with others.

Do you mean Ghost in the Shell(1995), Ghost in the Shell(2017), Ghost in the Shell 2.0, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, or Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie? (I swear that last one is the name and a real thing)

One of these films is a sequel to the original. And yes, 2.0's cgi additions were dated when they got added, and completely ruin the originals gorgeous animation. The grittiness of the cgi it did use for cyberpunk computer UI's was part of the appeal.

Edit: The live action movie from 2017 is fine. I think it stands along side all the other stuff put out. It isn't the worst GitS has to offer, and it does what ghost in the shell does, remixes previous stuff from its other iterations with themes and visuals. They basically have her in every costume from every iteration for fan service along with set pieces, it hits all the same bullet points from all the other stuff. It plays with the major theme of identity and self.

I am referring to the 2.0 version of the original 1997 film in my post, yes. Hopefully that was obvious from the context clues.

MichaelLC wrote: »
    Is there a good GiTS narrative book?
    I.e., not a manga/comic unless it looks really good on a Kindle ebook. Thanks.

Honestly, the original manga is one of the weaker GitS properties. If there are any proper novels in the franchise, none of them have been officially translated in English.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Today is Elvira-chan's birthday, why not watch her movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5kOzPEf8-o

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Today is Elvira-chan's birthday, why not watch her movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5kOzPEf8-o

Or, whip out your Amiga 500 and play her awesome aventure/puzzle/RPGish game of the same name.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    "Well, swell, now no one will hire me and I'm flat busted! ... I mean I'm broke."

I want to see Elvira's and Rodney Dangerfield's baby.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'd love to have an Elvira and the Monster Party pinball table. One of the finest layouts ever devised.

And if you can't find Mistress of the Dark, there is always the campy back up that is Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold, also featuring James Earl Jones at his hammiest and Henry Silva with an afro.

https://youtu.be/62PgnOM3UiI

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Lost City of Gold is up on Prime right now until the 30th, I was gonna mention it but how can you follow Quartermain lore when it's the sequel?!?!?!?!?!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'd love to have an Elvira and the Monster Party pinball table. One of the finest layouts ever devised.

"Lights! Organ!" *organ music*
    "Oooh, nice organ."

And if you can't find Mistress of the Dark, there is always the campy back up that is Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold, also featuring James Earl Jones at his hammiest and Henry Silva with an afro.

And yes, that is Sharon Stone as the Perky Sidekick/Love Interest.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Lost City of Gold is up on Prime right now until the 30th, I was gonna mention it but how can you follow Quartermain lore when it's the sequel?!?!?!?!?!

Its a Cannon/Golan-Globus film, there is no continuity. Though I do love how they wound up with Sharon Stone in King Solomon's Mines. Golan told a subordinate to get him that "Stone Woman", actually meaning Kathleen Turner who had just done Romancing the Stone, and instead they got Sharon. The rest is film history.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Its a Cannon/Golan-Globus film, there is no continuity. Though I do love how they wound up with Sharon Stone in King Solomon's Mines. Golan told a subordinate to get him that "Stone Woman", actually meaning Kathleen Turner who had just done Romancing the Stone, and instead they got Sharon. The rest is film history.

I was just going to post this and recommend people watch Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Canon Films. Great documentary, and it confirms Sharon Stone was a bitch before she even got Basic Instinct, no one on set liked her and the South Africa extras peed in her milkbath.

It's funny, growing up before I really knew what a diva was or the basics of movie making, the first two actors I always remember hearing about being absolute dickheads were Seagal and Stone. 2 for 2!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's sad that blu-rays don't even try to emulate the gorgeous stuff that we used to get on DVD, like the Seven CE, the LotR sets, or the (short lived) Vista series. With all that space, there should be more special features, not less..

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's sad that blu-rays don't even try to emulate the gorgeous stuff that we used to get on DVD, like the Seven CE, the LotR sets, or the (short lived) Vista series. With all that space, there should be more special features, not less..

Blame streaming for that imo.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I saw 20th Century Women the other night. Definitely recommend! The acting and directing were all on point.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

How many of these are there?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4xsKHBx8c

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

How many of these are there?

Sadly, just the two. Quartermain didn't have as good a run as American Ninja.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm probably (absolutely) late to the party on this but

They did a remake of Overboard?

Of fucking Overboard?

I like Anna Faris but

That fuckin' movie?

I can only assume now that studios/producers are just throwing darts at a giant board covered in movie titles while blindfolded.

• Options
    I remember watching the original overboard as a kid after it hit tv a couple years after release, and even then, going "This all seems really fucked up"

30 years later going 'its ok we reversed the genders this time!' is just confounding.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I'm probably (absolutely) late to the party on this but

They did a remake of Overboard?

Of fucking Overboard?

I like Anna Faris but

That fuckin' movie?

I can only assume now that studios/producers are just throwing darts at a giant board covered in movie titles while blindfolded.

The original is suuuuuuuper rapey.

Like, even for 80's standards.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I know someone in here makes edits of films. I think it'd atomika but I'm not sure enough to at them. I was just curious, is it illegal to put them in youtube and share them? I never thought piracy would apply, but cinnamassacre did a video on kill bill and I guess he made a 2 hour edit of both movies. But he mentioned he couldn't show it so he just talks about it.

• Options
    Me and my gf we're talking about puppet master and the sequels. She had a teacher who actually produced the first one.

I absolutely loved the movies as a kid. Just scary enough, with some cheese, to be a fun scary romp as a little kid. Not sure if they're any good now, but loved them as a kid.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I know someone in here makes edits of films. I think it'd atomika but I'm not sure enough to at them. I was just curious, is it illegal to put them in youtube and share them? I never thought piracy would apply, but cinnamassacre did a video on kill bill and I guess he made a 2 hour edit of both movies. But he mentioned he couldn't show it so he just talks about it.

Even if it was 100% legal, the studios would still issue DMCA takedown notices and Youtube would comply.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The best scene in the Overboard remake is when they allude to the grandma staring as the lead in a play without saying what it is. And then it turns out to be Mikado and all of the main characters find it to be super awkward because of the yellow face.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Antebellum is one hell of a ride and I can't say much more about it other than that because I don't want to ruin it. I've read reviews on it since and people seem to be annoyed that it doesn't "have anything to say" (edit: thats debateable), but its a solid horror movie so maybe its ok it doesn't have a "message". Its just a good tense fuckin horror movie.

For real spoiler about the movie dont read unless you've seen it.
    I legit did not understand that she was the same person in the past and present bits until the plane and phone showed up in the "past". I thought the movie was just using the same actress to show her ancestor and herself and the shared types of horror that existed back then and today. But damn when it showed that they were the same person and the "past" was all just taking place in the present it was a twist I did not see coming and I normally see those twists.

I think this movie definitely benefits from not watching the trailers or reading anything about it. I had heard nothing about it until I watched it today.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Its copyright infringement. It's one of those things that is pretty clearly not in fair use in good faith because of the scale. The closest you can get is commentary tracks that aren't distributed with the work, like RiffTracks, or giant bombs film and 40's. Its why it was kinda a big deal that Topher Grace was responsible for The Phantom Edit(that SW Episode 1 edit) and screened it for friends and some press.

If the work is in the public domain though, you can do it and even sell it if you want. You need to be real careful about how you go about it though and how the source is procured.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It’s me.

And no, you cannot put them on YouTube for public consumption. There are grey-market websites hosting some edits if you look hard enough. I tend to share my stuff through private links.

• Options
    That sucks. I'd be interested in seeing some people's edits. Some people are pretty talented. I really want to see that 2 hour edit of kill bill the video game nerd talked about. And it seems you've put a lot of work into these atomika, they should be able to be seen if you want them seen.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    It's genuinely a lot of fun to re-edit films! I do it purely as a hobbyist with a love for editing in general, and there's so much free software that everyone should give it a shot!

Embarrassing to admit, but I got into it after enough years angry at how bloated Tarantino movies have become. Just fucking around with scene placement, or removing whole blocks, to see how an 1:30 Tarantino flick would feel.

My next project is editing all of the netflix show Dark, sequenced by character/time.

It's cathartic as fuck.

• Options
    It's genuinely a lot of fun to re-edit films! I do it purely as a hobbyist with a love for editing in general, and there's so much free software that everyone should give it a shot!

Embarrassing to admit, but I got into it after enough years angry at how bloated Tarantino movies have become. Just fucking around with scene placement, or removing whole blocks, to see how an 1:30 Tarantino flick would feel.

My next project is editing all of the netflix show Dark, sequenced by character/time.

It's cathartic as fuck.

Would this break the show like how I've heard an in order pulp fiction lessons the movie as a whole ? Never seen the series, but showing things out of order correctly can have great results.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular

It's cathartic as fuck.

I'm still in the middle of dark but I imagine this would be wildly confusing and interesting to see a first time viewer watch. I hope you know someone that you can convince to watching it.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

It's cathartic as fuck.

Would this break the show like how I've heard an in order pulp fiction lessons the movie as a whole ? Never seen the series, but showing things out of order correctly can have great results.

It's a time travel story with the same characters in multiple times at multiple points in their own lives and with multiple versions of the same people in the same time(s) with the point being the mystery of how everything interacts to the point of creating the situation they are in. So on one hand unraveling it that way would make the events a lot easier to understand. On the other hand, unraveling it would seem likely to lose a lot of the why or how questions that made it compelling to continue watching. So probably not the version you would want to watch first. I liked the series so I would be interested in seeing the result.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

It's cathartic as fuck.

would you like my notes file? It's incomplete as yet, but I *think* I've sequenced everything in the
    1920s, '50s, and '80s,
    excluding anything that gets revealed in season 3.

edit: tossed up some spoiler tags. It's borderline, but can't hurt.

Tamin on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Getting close to spoiler territory for Dark fuys

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Next time I get depression I'm going to edit Law and Order season 1 into chronological order instead of by case.

I assume it's going to be very hard to track.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Next time I get depression I'm going to edit Law and Order season 1 into chronological order instead of by case.

I assume it's going to be very hard to track.

The most interesting part will be seeing if they actually kept track of the dates so that it doesn't overlap.

This discussion has been closed.