As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Dick Wolf was fucking ready for you monsters.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Next time I get depression I'm going to edit Law and Order season 1 into chronological order instead of by case.

I assume it's going to be very hard to track.

The most interesting part will be seeing if they actually kept track of the dates so that it doesn't overlap.

Stardate 4624.7

Edit. Oh right , movies. I think in the Star Trek movies and show they managed to keep from overlapping.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Just showed Bringing Up Baby to my 20 year old roommate. The shouts of, "Susan, no!" And "Oh my god, poor David!" were delightful

Honestly I think I could watch Katherine Hepburn sing to leopards all day

I'll probably follow that up at some point with the Danny Kaye/Virgina Mayo version of A Song Is Born

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I thought this was already done how can they still be doing it?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I have to wonder if the money and time they're pouring into the project will just end up paying for itself by way of word of mouth. It might end up being just a smart business decision to dump funds into the reshoots.

I also have to wonder if this is even the fabled "original vision" or if he's just basically making the whole movie over again with the knowledge of everyone's criticisms in mind. Pretty sure I know the answer to that one.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I have to wonder if the money and time they're pouring into the project will just end up paying for itself by way of word of mouth. It might end up being just a smart business decision to dump funds into the reshoots.

I also have to wonder if this is even the fabled "original vision" or if he's just basically making the whole movie over again with the knowledge of everyone's criticisms in mind. Pretty sure I know the answer to that one.

Can criticism really penetrate Snyder's brain? Or do you think he heard the criticism and has decided to double down on the decisions he's made?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Wait are they reshooting justice league?

• Options
    Wait are they reshooting justice league?

Yeah I thought they already did it and were going to "release" the snyder cut, but this feels like flat out that was bullshit there is no snyder cut they have to manufacture it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Nobody can actually believe they'll make that money back, the only reasonable explanation is blackmail.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    More proof 2020 is just weird

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Nobody can actually believe they'll make that money back, the only reasonable explanation is blackmail.

My bet is it's something insurance-related.
    hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    This is like Lucas redoing Star Wars except maybe he wants to film an additional new hour, add in another bad guy, oh and some other shit. Maybe add Jar Jar into it.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

This whole project just makes all the theories about how "what happened to such-and-such movie was that the people in charge were listening too closely to people on the internet" more plausible.

Cause the only way this makes sense is they've deluded themselves into thinking there's an actual large group of fans who want to see a Snyder Cut.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I'm interested in seeing the Snyder Cut.

It's the same kind of interest I had to watch America's Funniest Home Videos when I was a kid.

But still.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll CGI in some nutshots.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Maybe they'll CGI in some nutshots.

If all they did was spend $70m shooting the best nutshots ever put to film, it would be far more entertaining than whatever...that is going to be.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Instead of spending $70M polishing a turd that came out 3 years ago, maybe WB could like, make a whole movie? Maybe an original screenplay, or an adaptation of a really good book or something? Nah, let's just shovel some more money into the DCEU dumpster fire, why not.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Still gonna be better than Ant-Man.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm sure their thought process is "well if this does well we can dive back into the combined cinematic universe model, surely."

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The live-action film is basically unredeemable for me. They ditch everything that is significant about the original movie to make it some government conspiracy crap, with amnesia thrown in for extra-lazy good measure. Change the names and make them do their own scenes instead of ripping off the original movie and you wouldn't even know this was supposed to be GitS.

Then toss in the whitewashing just to make it extra bad. Actually feel bad for Johanssen over this film because she caught a lot of crap for a situation a stupid studio set up; she did a decent job in the role, it's just a role somebody else should've been given.

And they use some kinda filter that makes everything hideous and washed out. A relatively minor gripe but city shots with neon basically pouring off the buildings should pop, not look like old dishwater.

The most unforgiveable sin of that movie was potraying full body cybernetics as some sort of abomination as is common in most Hollywood dreck. "Only flesh can have a SOUL" and all that.

In GitS, the thoughtful examination of the Ship of Theseus is the entire point of the main characters arc. That and the evolutionary merger between human and AI systems.

My three favorite Golan-Globus films are of course: Cobra, Invasion: USA, and American Ninja

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

that's a take right there

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Given how big a mess JL was, if they have to do reshoots to make a cohesive, finished story out of it(and a more compelling villain than fricking Steppenwolf), then so be it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    This just feels like throwing good money after bad. Like who the fuck really cares about this movie at this point to the order of 70 mil?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

*Throws salt* Back in your hole!

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    This just feels like throwing good money after bad. Like who the fuck really cares about this movie at this point to the order of 70 mil?

a whole lot of angry internet nerds.
    but do they care $70 million worth?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

*Narrator*

No, they don't.

• Options

What's going to make me laugh is if it comes out that Snyder bot netted that "grass" roots support.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m confident this will be just as perfectly awful as the rest of Warners output for the last two decades.

If nothing else, Warners is well-practiced at throwing good money after bad

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I’m confident this will be just as perfectly awful as the rest of Warners output for the last two decades.

If nothing else, Warners is well-practiced at throwing good money after bad

I just can't understand after having the MCU right there to crib off the DECU is still such an uncharismatic hole.

It's not the actors either, their casting is fine to good. Not MCU good, but you can't really compare to that master class in casting.

The only decent one was Wonder Woman, and that was half 'about time' for an actual woman superhero.

I don't even get why they try at this point. I'm onboard with a The Producers scam or money laundering. Makes more sense than the alternatives.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

No and this is what makes me think that studios must be paying more attention to angry internet nerds then any sane person should. None of this makes any sense unless you think twitter and youtube represent the real consumers.

Which really shines a light on a ton of other things big and small over the years.

• Options
    I’ve heard too many inside-baseball stories over the years about Warners’ creative directors having absolutely no understanding of their properties.

The reality, as suggested by rumor and shown by decades of terrible output, is that Warners just isn’t a company that values creative talent, nor understands what people enjoy about their IP.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I’ve heard too many inside-baseball stories over the years about Warners’ creative directors having absolutely no understanding of their properties.

The reality, as suggested by rumor and shown by decades of terrible output, is that Warners just isn’t a company that values creative talent, nor understands what people enjoy about their IP.

This is an issue that's endemic to all creative industries. The MCU itself wasn't immune - Ike Perlmutter and his cabal were a thing for literally decades until Feige & Co. came along, and the latter wasn't able to get out from under Perlmutter until after two Avengers movies were made and multiple billions of dollars were had.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Maybe the 70M is to convince all the actors to come back a second time after so many years to do this.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

*Throws salt* Back in your hole!

Never throw salt in an open...uh...

Nevermind.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm sure their thought process is "well if this does well we can dive back into the combined cinematic universe model, surely."

Yeah this seems like a movie exec galaxy brain idea. Always double down on your original decisions until they fire you

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think the most compelling parts of Wonder Woman are when she's just a normal person going around regular society trying to make a difference, without being a superhero. That's probably why the final act left so many people with a sour taste.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just got a free month of the NowTV movie pass, so it's time to catch up on all of the movies I didn't catch first time around because I didn't want to spend money on them

Men in Black International
    I consider the first one to be a perfect movie, so it was always fighting an uphill battle. Decent performances, and I didn't catch all of the twists, but seemed a bit too reliant on action. Emma Thompson seemed almost embarrassed to be doing the big speech about being beyond the system, which Rip Torn delivered brilliantly in the original.

Jumanji: The Next Level
    Loved it more than the previous one - the actors' portrayals of each other were very entertaining, and Jack Black and Kevin Hart's terrible attempt at sneaking into the fortress gave me flashbacks to every D&D game I've run or played in.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Maybe the 70M is to convince all the actors to come back a second time after so many years to do this.

God, I hope at least one of them has contractually-demanded facial hair from another project.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Considering Cavill and Affleck just reupped their contracts and Gadot, Fisher, Klein, and Momoa are probably still under their original contracts, they’re probably just fine there.

This discussion has been closed.