As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I prefer the ds1 style out of the two since clicking in the stick can fuck with your movement angle

I agree, but the DS1 style makes it difficult to roll out of a sprint.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've never really had trouble with the click throwing off my aim, but I've had tons of experiences with the DS1 style getting me killed by messing up the timing and falling to my death, so I definitely prefer the click style.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I hate clicking the stick in for anything, so I'll even take DS1's "wait, they intended it to work this way?" method over it.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Wow FUCK Spelunky 2

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Well I hope you enjoy watching me finally figure out how to do the fighting in like video 6, and then see me be shit at it again next time I do one because it's been 4 weeks since I played it

Edit: Video 5, actually. Though 'figure out the fighting' is a fairly loose term

https://youtu.be/gRM85ynIg7k
    That time spent fighting unlocked might be helpful in the long run. Locked-on fighting is usually the most practical option, but fighting unlocked can be handy for fighting large groups of enemies, or for just out maneuvering a single enemy.
    Honestly you've got a pretty solid grasp on the fundamentals for someone just starting out. You've demonstrated dodging enemy attacks and then punishing their recovery, and that's basically all you need to know how to do.
    I think that chain mail raised your equipment weight enough to switch you from the fast roll to the medium roll. That means you're invincible for a shorter period of time. The chain mail is giving you more damage reduction and poise, so there are benefits, but if you're having trouble and think a better dodge will help, try switching back to your pyromancer cloak, or whatever that piece is called.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    CD Projekt Red: Did we say no mandatory overtime? We meant "no, mandatory overtime!"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-29/cyberpunk-2077-publisher-orders-6-day-weeks-ahead-of-game-debut
    Polish video game developer CD Projekt Red told employees on Monday that six-day work weeks will be mandatory leading up to the November release of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, reneging on an earlier promise to not force overtime on the project.

Red, a subsidiary of Poland’s biggest gaming company CD Projekt SA, has been criticized previously for engaging in “crunch,” an industry term for excessive overtime in game development. The practice often lasts for weeks and can stretch out for months or even years. CD Projekt Red co-chief executive officer Marcin Iwinski last year told gaming website Kotaku that the company would be avoiding mandatory crunch and was “committed” to allowing employees to work without overtime.

But an account from a CD Projekt Red employee recently as well as an email to staff earlier this week indicate that the company hasn’t lived up to its word. The employee, who asked not to be named discussing private information, said some staff had already been putting in nights and weekends for more than a year.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Now instead of merely implying that you should work overtime if you value your job, you're just forced to work overtime!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, that really puts me in the mood to defy some corporations. Can't wait!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    CD Projekt being a shitty company is probably the most Cyberpunk thing about Cyberpunk

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    CD Projekt being a shitty company is probably the most Cyberpunk thing about Cyberpunk

Isn't that the whole joke about eastern europe, that they're always doing stuff about 20 years behind the US? They're just crunching like early 2000s studios did.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Wow FUCK Spelunky 2

Is this a condemnation of Spelunky 2 for moral or gameplay reasons?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »

Isn't that the whole joke about eastern europe, that they're always doing stuff about 20 years behind the US? They're just crunching like early 2000s studios did.

And late 2000's studios. And early 2010's studios. And late 2010's studios. And...

• Options
    At first it was an objection regarding the gameplay but not only am I not enjoying Spelunky 2 after only two hours of Spelunky 2 I don't even know what it means to enjoy something so now I also object on moral grounds

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    This is going to end up five months from now with you finding some way to put Spelunky 2 onto physical media so you can throw it in the river, isn't it?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    At first it was an objection regarding the gameplay but not only am I not enjoying Spelunky 2 after only two hours of Spelunky 2 I don't even know what it means to enjoy something so now I also object on moral grounds

did you not like/ever play spelunky 1?

Is it the starting over you hate?

my love of spelunky is immense.

• Options
    I've played a lot of Spelunky and I'm willing to believe that there is all sorts of fantastical new content available to enjoy in Spelunky 2 but right now it is Spelunky 1 with 500% more horseSHIT

FUCK my FACE

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

did you not like/ever play spelunky 1?

Is it the starting over you hate?

my love of spelunky is immense.
    Playing Spelunky 2 with no prior Spelunky experience is...probably not a good idea. I'd say that the first biome of 2 is deadlier than the third in the original. Horned Lizards might as well be floor-one Yetis, moles are real assholes too, and a jungle spike trap equivalent is around; god help you if you're dealing with all that before you even have your arrow trap instincts honed.

Of course, if you have played a lot of Spelunky 1, this is probably what you want! Or at least what I wanted. As someone who in the old versions could get Olmec clears most of the time and Yama clears once in a while, my main worry was that the sequel would be too easy and it's, uh, not. Playing the PS4 version for two weeks, I got my first win on my 190th run, and there's still a lot of secret/advanced content that I haven't reached at all yet.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I've played a lot of Spelunky and I'm willing to believe that there is all sorts of fantastical new content available to enjoy in Spelunky 2 but right now it is Spelunky 1 with 500% more horseSHIT

FUCK my FACE

isn't spelunky supposed to be kinda... unfair bullshit?

like "I Wanna Be The Guy but randomized" is how I had the game explained to me

• Options
    Right now 2 feels like a lavish fan mod that has been tweaked and fucked with by the sorts of lunatics who make lavish gruesomely difficult fan mods

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Brolo wrote: »

FUCK my FACE

I would argue that Spelunky is extremely fair, in that all the pieces are visible and interact how you would expect them to, once you learn the basics.

But it's also extremely unforgiving, in that a single split-second mistake can easily result in an elaborate catastrophe spiral killing even the best-equipped characters. There's an item in Spelunky that gives you almost infinite health, and I'd rate it at "kind of nice to have I guess", because so many end states kill you so hard that it won't save you.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I got too good at Planet Coaster that it kinda killed RCT3 for me. I swear I remember this game being hard, but now with a bajillion hours in planet, I can see the bones of every campaign level immediately, place like 7 choice things and go afk and let the level beat itself.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Brolo wrote: »

FUCK my FACE

I have ny limits! We all have our limits!!!

I think I'm getting a bit of whiplash coming fresh off Hades which is a game that really masterfully commits to fun moment to moment gameplay and gratifying the player and never feeling like a moment is wasted wheras Spelunky commits to hatefully stamping on your fingers and kicking you in the guts and flicking your bare eyeballs

Hobnail on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Spelunky 2 definitely has more crazy horseshit than 1. It really feels like a game that was made for people who are already good and need some more extreme masochistic abuse to feel anything anymore.

(I am not good at Spelunky 1.)

• Options
    Yea I was never great at Spelunky 1. It took me forever to beat Olmec. I never beat yama.

#2 definitely seems harder. But I need that muscle memory and I know it just takes some time to rebuild.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Kind of a shitty joke if you think about it

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    generally when people say a game is unfair what they mean is "the damage is very high"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Maybe this is a thing people don't know outside of Europe but "lol, Central/Eastern Europeans are so backward" is actually a shitty, harmful and common stereotype that people shouldn't perpetuate.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I've been absolutely loving Spelunky 2 as someone who didn't play the first game at all, but I did watch some streams of the game before diving in. That went a very long way towards helping me learn how to deal with various stuff. Going blind, I could see it being rough, but I also think it's totally fine if it takes you awhile to make any progress. Just don't feel bad about abusing shortcuts when you open them up to learn new areas.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spelunky 2 is definitely a motherfucker but I think both games have a gradual learning curve where it doesn't necessarily get less bullshit, you just get accustomed to the particular bullshit and adjust

and there's been 8 years of Spelunky 1's nonsense (potentially more if it was the same mechanically in the original release, I'm not sure) and only a couple weeks to get used to those FUCKING spinning lizards that RUIN my LIFE

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I appreciate them getting the bullshit enemies out straight up on 1-1 so you know what you're getting into right from the jump. The Steam refund window is two hours folks, let's not waste your time!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    picked up Reus again for no discernible reason.

the rock giant has an ability which creates precious minerals. For some reason the tooltip says (among other stuff)
    Level 2 - Requires 1 Desert ambassador and 1 (any) Ambassador. Can create 'Great' Plants.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also cd projekt red is being shitty and abusing their workers in, as far as I know, exactly the same way north american and western european developers are, so I'm not sure what leg we have to stand on there

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Idk Spelunky 2 doesn't seem that bad. For all the talk about how much harder it is than 1 and how bullshit moles were etc I haven't really found 1-x to be more difficult than 2-x in Spelunky 1. Like moles got me the first time I encountered one and horned lizards are beefier scorpions at best, they don't have jump immunity like yetis. Also Spelunky 2 gives you a lot more powerful item options in the beginning.

It's definitely harder and more varied than 2, but if you beat 1 it shouldn't be that bad. I'm finding most the biome 1 difficulty comes from the much larger variety of enemies and traps compared to 1 than anything else.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I would say they frontloaded the difficulty in Spelunky 2 too much but I'm still enjoying it even when I suck.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    so far the only recent action-heavy roguelike to really hold my attention is Risk of Rain 2

I do want to try out Hades though and see if that game scratches my itch

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hades has a nice angle of being able to progress a lot in terms of persistent upgrades even if you're having a lot of shitty runs, while Spelunky is a straight up roguelike

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    also cd projekt red is being shitty and abusing their workers in, as far as I know, exactly the same way north american and western european developers are, so I'm not sure what leg we have to stand on there

I imagine it's just because they were clucking their tongues at shitty western devs and calling people up to tell them they super promise they won't do mandatory crunch unlike those people

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also Hades has lots of great lore and a story and dialogue and voice acting

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Hades has a nice angle of being able to progress a lot in terms of persistent upgrades even if you're having a lot of shitty runs, while Spelunky is a straight up roguelike

oh yeah no I find even Spelunky 1's first levels almost unplayably difficult, I'm not even touching Spelunky 2

Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy are all games I am awful at

This discussion has been closed.