Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to get ready!

https://discord.gg/rk3VmH

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
      edited October 2020
      @Romantic Undead @Fencingsax What are your steam namesfriend codes? PM me real quick.

EriktheVikingGamer on
      Steam - DailyFatigueBar
      FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    • Options
      ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
      I'm ready for star wars. Tried to play original x-wing but the keymapper was busted so I couldn't map joystick buttons.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    • Options
      TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
      edited October 2020
      Preloads are up!

Also apologies if this was posted already but:
      https://youtu.be/FUMLTXtBWi0

TOGSolid on
      wWuzwvJ.png
    • Options
      FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
      I will send it when I get home

• Options
      eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
      edited October 2020
      When is the actual start? 9pm pacific tomorrow?

Getting hype! Time to start moving furniture cause the damn Hotas I got has cord too short to reach where I normally have my couch. Wife’s not going to be happy, but priorities man!

Edit:
      Boo, console release is midnight local time. I’m not that hype. “Working” from home on Friday it is then

eMoander on
      Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    • Options
      FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
      So apparently the choice to play this was brutally stolen from me. I work until 10 pm pst. This will be brutal.

• Options
      Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
      So where is everyone playing this? EA store? If I buy it on EA can I port it to Steam?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    • Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      I just got it on Steam since it apparently doesn't matter where you get it.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
      I just got it on Steam since it apparently doesn't matter where you get it.

I was going to too but apparently, you can get it for 15$ on the EA store and I can't ignore that.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    • Options
      SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
      I’m torn on where to get this. I have a PS4 Pro, a PC with a 970 that I don’t think I’m upgrading soon, and will probably get a new Xbox.

Hm.

can you feel the struggle within?
    • Options
      ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
      edited October 2020
      Polygon review is very positive

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/10/1/21495929/star-wars-squadrons-review-ps4-xbox-one-pc-vr

In fact, reviews around the web are all positive.

ObiFett on
    • Options
      davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
      Howdy folks! What platform is everyone playing on? PC, xbone, PS4? I have the Xbone X so that’s probably where I’m headed since I just have the old clunky PS4 and My PC is probably unable to make this work until I get a new video card.

• Options
      EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
      It's cross-platform so pick it up where it works best for you. :)

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
      FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    • Options
      JazzJazz Registered User regular
      I have it on Steam, but with the crossplay it shouldn't really matter, which is awesome.

• Options
      Jazz wrote: »
      I have it on Steam, but with the crossplay it shouldn't really matter, which is awesome.

(Should add, thank you @Pixelated Pixie <3 )

• Options
      jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
      edited October 2020
      ObiFett wrote: »
      Polygon review is very positive

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/10/1/21495929/star-wars-squadrons-review-ps4-xbox-one-pc-vr

In fact, reviews around the web are all positive.
      Kind of burying the lede here Obi!

"Star Wars: Squadrons review: a triumph of focused design and succinct storytelling

Star Wars: Squadrons is every inch the spaceflight simulation that fans have been dreaming of for a generation.

...I think that VR might have actually given me a slight advantage.

...Star Wars: Squadrons is the total package."

jdarksun on
    • Options
      davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
      Ah that’s interesting. I wonder if my hotas works with my xbone...

• Options
      I bought VR basically to play this game and then lost the VR in the divorce. Fiddlesticks.

• Options
      eMoander wrote: »
      When is the actual start? 9pm pacific tomorrow?

Getting hype! Time to start moving furniture cause the damn Hotas I got has cord too short to reach where I normally have my couch. Wife’s not going to be happy, but priorities man!

Edit:
      Boo, console release is midnight local time. I’m not that hype. “Working” from home on Friday it is then

If you set your region to Australia you can start playing now on console.

• Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Six wrote: »
      I bought VR basically to play this game and then lost the VR in the divorce. Fiddlesticks.

Fuckin' Bro fist. :bro:

• Options
      eMoandereMoander Registered User regular

Cue romantic comedy wacky hijinks where you sneak over to use the VR system, but she’s been playing a pilot on the other side and after several comical misunderstandings you rekindle your relationship over a shared hatred of Ewoks.

Seriously though, divorce sucks. Sorry to hear that happened to you; I’m sure you’ll still enjoy this without VR.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    • Options

Fuckin' Bro fist. :bro:

Seconded. :bro:

• Options
      PeenPeen Registered User regular
      I think platform matters a little if you're trying to be in a voice party, discord is ok but voice parties on the Xbox work a lot better for me.

• Options

Cue romantic comedy wacky hijinks where you sneak over to use the VR system, but she’s been playing a pilot on the other side and after several comical misunderstandings you rekindle your relationship over a shared hatred of Ewoks.

Seriously though, divorce sucks. Sorry to hear that happened to you; I’m sure you’ll still enjoy this without VR.

Oh, indeed. I’ll get another VR setup at some point.

Divorce was last year, I’m all better. Losing VR was a small price to pay.

For the first time in a while, I really wish there was a demo on the PC for this so I could see how it ran.

• Options
      edited October 2020
      Peen wrote: »
      I think platform matters a little if you're trying to be in a voice party, discord is ok but voice parties on the Xbox work a lot better for me.

There is in-game voice, which I assume lots of cross-play people will end up using. It worked very well in beta

ObiFett on
    • Options
      LindLind Registered User regular
      Loads of players with early access streaming the game right now on Twitch and Youtube.

• Options
      Unless they are playing multiplayer, I aint watching any streams.

• Options
      Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
      I think I might give this a go on the PS4 first. I only have the PSVR so far and a controller seems better than keyboard/mouse for flight games.

The Valve Index is on backorder it seems. The new HP reverb G2 seems locked to 90hz. And Pimax seems to have questionable quality. Might have to wait till next year to grab a VR set on PC.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    • Options
      PeenPeen Registered User regular
      Peen wrote: »

There is in-game voice, which I assume lots of cross-play people will end up using. It worked very well in beta

I've never trusted in game voice, I guess there's a first time for everything!

• Options
      BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      Man, for the first time I regret pre-ordering a physical copy. I want to play this tomorrow instead of whenever it gets shipped.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
    • Options
      Trajan45 wrote: »
      I think I might give this a go on the PS4 first. I only have the PSVR so far and a controller seems better than keyboard/mouse for flight games.

The Valve Index is on backorder it seems. The new HP reverb G2 seems locked to 90hz. And Pimax seems to have questionable quality. Might have to wait till next year to grab a VR set on PC.

fwiw, everyone I've seen playing on PSVR seems super happy with the quality

• Options
      FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
      Heh damn. Ars is reporting that the PC version is pretty damn buggy, with VR specific bugs in there as well. Honestly it sounds like most of his VR bugs were related to having to play the pre release version through Origin instead of Steam, so it overall doesn't sound too concerning. Probably the biggest bummer is that it doesn't have any pre-set keymaps for popular HOTAS, and you have to set it more or less on your own.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
      Fiatil wrote: »
      Heh damn. Ars is reporting that the PC version is pretty damn buggy, with VR specific bugs in there as well. Honestly it sounds like most of his VR bugs were related to having to play the pre release version through Origin instead of Steam, so it overall doesn't sound too concerning. Probably the biggest bummer is that it doesn't have any pre-set keymaps for popular HOTAS, and you have to set it more or less on your own.

That kinda stinks, but I always end up doing my own anyway. Probably tricky for anyone grabbing a HOTAS/stick for this game and not familiar with sims in general.

• Options
      Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
      Trajan45 wrote: »

fwiw, everyone I've seen playing on PSVR seems super happy with the quality

I'm hoping that trend continues. The drop off in quality from Ace Combat 7 to the VR mode was stark and I wonder if it has to do with overall horsepower of the PS4. Which makes me wonder how downgraded the graphics might get for this in PSVR.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    • Options
      edited October 2020
      Fiatil wrote: »

Some context for this specific article. The problems seem to be specific to launching from Origin*. Origin has this dumb thing where you have to launch the game normally, then switch to VR and accept it within 15 seconds which he was having a massive issue with. His one and only bug seems to be related to following an NPC in a mission, which is not great, but also doesn't make the game unplayable by any means. Finally this whole paragraph is essentially the crux of his performance problems:
      I'm less hopeful about potential bug squashing for the Valve Index, the current best PC-VR option to support 120Hz frame rates. When playing Squadrons in VR at its 90Hz setting, with all VR graphics settings near-maxed on an RTX 3080 and i7-8700K, SteamVR's frame-time graph confirms that its frames render at roughly 8.2ms. That's within the threshold of a 120fps mode, which I prefer for spin-filled space-flight sims like Eve Valkyrie and Elite Dangerous; you'll do a lot of high-speed spinning in Squadrons, owing to its arcadey, fake-physics core, and as a sensitive VR user, I struggled with that lurching sensation while trying to chase foes in dogfights.

However, in the game's pre-release build, formally toggling Valve Index to 120Hz mode tanks the frame rate closer to 90-100fps, and it introduces erratic frame time spikes, even with all visual settings turned down to their bare minimum. (Not good for my VR space nausea.) Plus, honestly, going back and forth to test different SteamVR settings was made all the more difficult by the game randomly crashing when transitioning from a between-mission barracks to flight sections (with no crash dialogue shown by either SteamVR or Origin).

It seems like this guy has some very high needs that might not apply to the typical VR user?

I guess I'll find out when I try it in VR myself.

*Although these guys didn't seem to have a problem with launching from Origin:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mPB52xUO_I&amp;ab_channel=AdamSavage%E2%80%99sTested

ObiFett on
    • Options
      I love that we're in an era where 90-100fps counts as the framerate "tanking" when the computer is also rendering two separate images.

• Options
      ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
      Do the S-foils open and close? I just want to prime myself for disappointment now.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
      Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    • Options

Fucking O Henry for a modern age.

• Options
      Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
      Jazz wrote: »
      I love that we're in an era where 90-100fps counts as the framerate "tanking" when the computer is also rendering two separate images.

If you're running in 120 htz that drop means you're dropping frames which in VR can be nauseating.

It also means that switching the refresh rate of the display caused a FPS drop which is really weird.