As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Kroguard was a lot of fun. Charge, and tough enough to be usable off-host.

Plus you got to headbutt everybody between rounds.

The difference between AIU on host and off host was insane. As host, you're an unkillable machine with pinpoint self rez usage, flawlessly timed dodges behind cover for Scion or Ravager shots, staggering five enemies at once with snap freeze and killing all five with a single Reegar mag, taunting Banshees endlessly just outside of their instakill range then murdering them. Off host, you're a solid DPS output class who needs to play relatively conservatively and will often need cover and will tend to burn through grenades far quicker due to needing to preemptively activate self res whether you think you need it or not.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The difference between AIU on host and off host was insane. As host, you're an unkillable machine with pinpoint self rez usage, flawlessly timed dodges behind cover for Scion or Ravager shots, staggering five enemies at once with snap freeze and killing all five with a single Reegar mag, taunting Banshees endlessly just outside of their instakill range then murdering them. Off host, you're a solid DPS output class who needs to play relatively conservatively and will often need cover and will tend to burn through grenades far quicker due to needing to preemptively activate self res whether you think you need it or not.

To put it another way, on-host AIU is a god of death

off-host AIU is a demigod of death

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    geth white gold

• Options
    there's 3 words that really don't need to be in my brain this far down the line

• Options
    I had forgotten the halcyon days of geth white gold with a salarian engineer

good times

not

• Options
    I DO NOT REMEMBER GETH PYROS BEING SO KEEN TO EXECUTE YOU

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Curly as AIU was hard to play with.

Not because it went poorly.

But rather because no one else got to do anything.

You had to learn how spawns worked just so you could shoot anything.

Seriously playing with the regular thread crew forced me to learn how to predict spawns because otherwise you didn't even get to play the game :P

• Options

Seriously playing with the regular thread crew forced me to learn how to predict spawns because otherwise you didn't even get to play the game :P

Oh yeah I should have @ you as well I remember now.

In my games today it was kind of weird how I still remember basically every spawn.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I loved the Gethgineer, now that was a class. But my most-played class was almost certainly the Human Engineer. I often ran a Falcon and it was just so darn good at locking down whole groups of enemies. It didn't do a lot of damage (though I could seap to a Harrier if I did) but man it could set up a sniper or other DPS class to clear out entire rooms full of enemies. Between the stuns from the grenades, the Overload multi-target, and Incinerate to detonate / burn away armor, I had the solution to any problem.

• Options
    edited February 2021

In my games today it was kind of weird how I still remember basically every spawn.

Oh, no worries, I was pretty easily forgettable.

My role was usually cleanup.

As in the other three people fly off to wipe the map and then I limped along behind and made sure no one got shot in the back :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular

Fixed that for you. If I came within 100k I considered it to be a very good round for me.

God that MP it/was way more fun than it had any right to be.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Oh, no worries, I was pretty easily forgettable.

My role was usually cleanup.

As in the other three people fly off to wipe the map and then I limped along behind and made sure no one got shot in the back :lol:
    Someone's gotta do the objectives, and that's usually me because everyone else is way better at killing enemies.

sig.gif
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Did they ever fix the geth hunter? The vision power overlay gave a bunch of people headaches. There was a massive thread on the Bioware forums complaining about it.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Did they ever fix the geth hunter? The vision power overlay gave a bunch of people headaches. There was a massive thread on the Bioware forums complaining about it.

I know they did eventually make it a lot less pronounced but I'm not sure how much it helped overall.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    You know what I keep thinking about? During the Lazarus Project, someone had to cut and style Shepard's hair.

Knowing Cerberus' complexity addiction and general mustache-twirling douchebaggery, I can only imagine that Plan A was "kidnap the galaxy's foremost hairstylist and force them to perform the most accurate haircut in history at gunpoint." You know, like you do.

Now they're just on the station, surrounded by ultraracists and people who like bridge, when the robots start killing everyone. And no one even remembers their name.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    You know what I keep thinking about? During the Lazarus Project, someone had to cut and style Shepard's hair.

Knowing Cerberus' complexity addiction and general mustache-twirling douchebaggery, I can only imagine that Plan A was "kidnap the galaxy's foremost hairstylist and force them to perform the most accurate haircut in history at gunpoint." You know, like you do.

Now they're just on the station, surrounded by ultraracists and people who like bridge, when the robots start killing everyone. And no one even remembers their name.

I figure that post Lazarus Shepard is basically 8% original parts by mass, mostly in the brain and spinal cord. Post Lazarus, I assume she has biosynthetic skin resistant to piercing, abrasion, freezing and burning, that her bones contain medigel synthesizers rather than marrow, that the bones themselves are vat-grown with a blend of Turian and human genetic code and laced with carbon fibre, that her muscles have some combination of human, krogan and asari genetic code, that her liver is just a transplant from a krogan, etc.

Basically, she’s Frankenstein’s monster, rebuilt into a straight up post-human.

Shepard doesn’t have hair. She has fibres of some advanced synthetic material that’s fire resistant and that blocks out radiation. Miranda styled it herself.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I figure that post Lazarus Shepard is basically 8% original parts by mass, mostly in the brain and spinal cord. Post Lazarus, I assume she has biosynthetic skin resistant to piercing, abrasion, freezing and burning, that her bones contain medigel synthesizers rather than marrow, that the bones themselves are vat-grown with a blend of Turian and human genetic code and laced with carbon fibre, that her muscles have some combination of human, krogan and asari genetic code, that her liver is just a transplant from a krogan, etc.

Shepard doesn’t have hair. She has fibres of some advanced synthetic material that’s fire resistant and that blocks out radiation. Miranda styled it herself.

... but what does Shepard's sweat taste like?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

The worst part is, all Cerberus employees refuse to tip. They're THAT kind of asshole.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    ... you ain't the sharpest tool in the shed?

The nepotism was the biggest turnoff for me.

Shepard doesn’t sweat. She glows.

No, literally, her skin contains Hanar genetic code that makes her glow in low light unless she suppresses it.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    nooooo that first part was an old draft. Editted it out!

won't that make Shep a really easy target?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options

evilthecat plz

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Krogan Vanguard was my number one. You never knew if you would lead the score board or if you would desynch and rise to Valhalla. I also remember being pretty gnarly with the Geth Infiltrator. Cloak plus Geth shotgun was ridic. That one took some fast reflexes though.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Geth Vision plus Geth Shotgun + cloak was a deadly--if risky--combination back in the day.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Shepard sweat tastes exactly like batarian tears, coincidentally enough.

Strikor on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Oh man I also remember shredding dudes with the Vorcha. Also high risk high reward if you could chain melee kills together. Heck I might fire up the Xbox multi this week now.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021

I want a Twine choose your own adventure fanfic about this person trying to not die. Seriously.

*edit* Re: multiplayer upthread, man, I think I only played at the very beginning, like... I don't think they even released any new classes when I stopped. but it WAS fun as heck and it was how I got most of my Galactic Readiness points, like, that and the mobile app. It'll be interesting with the Legendary Edition to see if I can actually get the points I even need without those two sources.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

I want a Twine choose your own adventure fanfic about this person trying to not die. Seriously.

*edit* Re: multiplayer upthread, man, I think I only played at the very beginning, like... I don't think they even released any new classes when I stopped. but it WAS fun as heck and it was how I got most of my Galactic Readiness points, like, that and the mobile app. It'll be interesting with the Legendary Edition to see if I can actually get the points I even need without those two sources.

From what I understand, the concerns about the readiness due to lack of multiplayer was addressed in one of the press releases the way it works in the Legendary Edition is if you play the first two games and then import your file into the 3rd game, it'll take your decisions into account and automatically give you a major boost to your overall galactic readiness with your decisions in 3 will round it out healthily. If you want to jump straight into 3 without doing the prior 2 games, it's technically possible to get your readiness high enough to get the "good" endings, but you essentially have to 100% the game and do every single sidequest and get every race possible on your side that you can. So, doable, but a royal pita if you're jumping in fresh.

• Options
    Geth Vision plus Geth Shotgun + cloak was a deadly--if risky--combination back in the day.

I think this playstyle still exists but it evolved to use the Talon instead.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Depends on how Paragon/Renegade you're going.

• Options

I think this playstyle still exists but it evolved to use the Talon instead.

And a fun playstyle it is too, I just did a few rounds with it. Cloak, proxy mine to stagger enemies, headshot three of them, strafe behind cover, repeat.

• Options
    oh the legendary edition is less than 3 months away, that's pretty nice timing for me to get back into ME3

I guess no MP in the leggo version tho. understandable but still a shame

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Now there's an idea, Lego Mass Effect.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Wild guess is that they're either going to re-release ME3 MP in a contrived manner in order to make buy all the lootboxes again, or they're going to use it as a selling point for ME5. I remember ME3 MP was said to be really successful, if only because it's made of reused assets.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I actually feel like ME3’s multiplayer success is more an accident than anything else. Inquisition’s version outright sucked and Andromeda’s felt wrong and way less entertaining. I wonder if Andromeda’s multiplayer underperformed and if that played a part in killing the game.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Wild guess is that they're either going to re-release ME3 MP in a contrived manner in order to make buy all the lootboxes again, or they're going to use it as a selling point for ME5. I remember ME3 MP was said to be really successful, if only because it's made of reused assets.

ME3 MP's multiplayer was constantly evolving post-release with both content and weekly patches and rebalancing. There was apparently a surprisingly deep amount of legwork performed by a dedicated team who put in the effort which paid off.
    IIRC there were specific designers in that team responsible for ME3's overall weapon handling and enemy behaviour which resulted in the magic we got from that game.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    ME3MP likely sold a bunch of people on the game itself.

The demo of the multiplayer was released before the game and it kinda went viral for a little bit.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Successful as in 'made them a lot of money'. I can't imagine that they're going to leave the multiplayer on the table when it's something else for them to turn a profit on.

• Options
    releasing the MP as a standalone release six months into the legendary edition's lifespan sounds like a great way to both a) satisfy their claim that it's a lot of work and they don't want to delay the game for it and b) make more money and draw a second wave of attention to it

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    But why do that when they can resurrect Pinnacle Station with the improved gameplay/graphics instead?

(Or make PS multi-player.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    But why do that when they can resurrect Pinnacle Station with the improved gameplay/graphics instead?

(Or make PS multi-player.)

Because Pinnacle Station was a mistake.

A horrible horrible mistake that should never be inflicted upon anyone ever again.

One that only people suffering from Stockholm syndrome would ever wish to ever experience again.

We're here for you, Source.

This discussion has been closed.