As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    the newest buff body layered is the best. Also probably the most accurate portrayal of hunters that can wield giant weapons
    Ok. Been a bit since last played this. Just did a series of updates. Any thoughts of present status of IG? Thoughts for a present day recommended gear loadout?
    teostra 3 pc was popular for a bit before safi/brachydios. End game is mostly just Fatalis armor. QoL for IG is much better now with the introduction of the clutch claw boost gem that allows you to tenderize with one clutch claw. The community also figured out that slower kinsects do more damage so they are better in certain situations.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    biggest IG complaints i've heard were double tenderizing, inconsistent tenderizing on the IG move in particular (due to weird hitboxes), and having to reup your tenderizing while having to maintain your bug buffs

all that shit got fixed (clutch boost, they fixed the attack, and the tenderized duration was doubled) in the last patch

should be in a good spot again now

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Clutch Boost is great, just wish I didnt have to spend a tier 3/4 slot on it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Man Raging Brachy is so much fun to play against.

WRT clutch: Having a weapon that can 1 hit tenderize AND a counter grapple comes in handy.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    What about bow/Longsword? I know I asked about IG, but I alternate around those three weapons.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    This is apparently what a million spent fuel looks like. (Not mine)

dce7ykl5qug1.jpeg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    And then most of the items get converted to zenny because of the 9999 cap, ha

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    That many king spheres is ridic

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i hope to god rise doesn't have the clutch claw. i HATE having to try to use the super long animations to soften up parts of a monster before i can hit them. you get thrown off and lose 75% of your health so often trying to do it in g rank because the monsters just jump around on crack so much compared to the animation speed. and you have to do it twice to get any effect. i feel like that was half the reason i stopped playing. that and fighting AT anything isnt interesting and rajang and most of the elders are just bleh.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i hope to god rise doesn't have the clutch claw. i HATE having to try to use the super long animations to soften up parts of a monster before i can hit them. you get thrown off and lose 75% of your health so often trying to do it in g rank because the monsters just jump around on crack so much compared to the animation speed. and you have to do it twice to get any effect. i feel like that was half the reason i stopped playing. that and fighting AT anything isnt interesting and rajang and most of the elders are just bleh.

There's a meldable decoration to help with that one. Also, I pretty much only clutch claw when 1) the monster stops and is drooling, 2) the monster is asleep and I'm going to flinch shot them into a wall lined with mega-barrel bombs, or 3) I'm wearing my temporal mantle.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The g rank clutch claw play is all about reading opponent moves.

I can instacart if I clutch counter during the wrong attack or wrong series of moves on some monsters, like Savage Jho or Raging Brachy.

• Options
    This new Brute Tigrex event gave me a small gold crown tigrex and 2 True Armor Spheres, they are worth 2.5 times as much as King Armor Spheres.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    This new Brute Tigrex event gave me a small gold crown tigrex and 2 True Armor Spheres, they are worth 2.5 times as much as King Armor Spheres.
    the zinogre one alternated between small and large crown so i'd check to see if this one does too

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    the zinogre one alternated between small and large crown so i'd check to see if this one does too

it does as well

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Neat, picked up the large crown too. (23 crowns left)

I got that Senu’s Feather for Assassins Mantle but noone in Camp has a “!” mark to receive it?

“50 shades of white” is finally an event so I could get Fest Tickets and Guild Palace layered DB’s.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Neat, picked up the large crown too. (23 crowns left)

I got that Senu’s Feather for Assassins Mantle but noone in Camp has a “!” mark to receive it?

“50 shades of white” is finally an event so I could get Fest Tickets and Guild Palace layered DB’s.

check the smithy in astera, but it might still be tied to the 2nd fleet smithy who's in seliana now.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It may also be a deliverable, which IIRC doesn't get a ! over the person's head.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    It was the Astera Armor salesperson.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    This thing needs to be in a future game.

If we can have a mantis with a mech, we can have a cephlapod with a battle ship.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm very glad tackle and TCS are both back. Tackle remains such a beautiful piece of game design

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The more footage, the more I question where I'm supposed to see anything "between Classic and World". This just looks like World as its foundation, full stop. They backed off on the Scoutflies ... and that's it.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    The more they keep the game like World, the more likely I am to play any future games. There's a reason I bounced off several of the games prior to World.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    The more footage, the more I question where I'm supposed to see anything "between Classic and World". This just looks like World as its foundation, full stop. They backed off on the Scoutflies ... and that's it.

The graphics and UI, at least, call to mind the older games.

Oh yeah, and they said they're going back to having separate quest progressions for single-player and multi-player.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    The more they keep the game like World, the more likely I am to play any future games. There's a reason I bounced off several of the games prior to World.

And I'm the exact opposite, I decided to skip World and nothing that I've heard about it afterwards has made me think I made the wrong decision. I really wish they just made two separate series.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, from a monetary standpoint, that seems unlikely? MHW was the biggest selling MH ever.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Unfortunately, from a monetary standpoint, that seems unlikely? MHW was the biggest selling MH ever.

Yeah, I think the ship towards "going back to the classics" has probably all but sailed given the financial success of MHW

• Options
    Which is why I wish they were two different IPs. World didn't have to override everything that came before it, the two could have coexisted. Capcom is going to keep making plenty of other games that are nowhere near as popular as World was, but classic Monster Hunter is almost certainly going to get killed off just because it has the wrong name now.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Oh yeah, and they said they're going back to having separate quest progressions for single-player and multi-player.

Ugh, one of the best things World did was can that shit.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

I have mixed feelings on that. Splitting them up is an improvement from my perspective, but if I'm not going to care about the game as a whole it might be better off to build it towards people who aren't like me.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

I have mixed feelings on that. Splitting them up is an improvement from my perspective, but if I'm not going to care about the game as a whole it might be better off to build it towards people who aren't like me.

How is it improved to split them up? If you just want to play it solo, you can just play if solo?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

If we can have a mantis with a mech, we can have a cephlapod with a battle ship.

that's the elder dragon from MH Generations, like, directly.

Nakarkos is a helluva drug.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @jothki I'm really curious what your issue with World is. Like, i love the series too, and i've been playing since Tri (And i mean Tri! I went tri, p3rd, tri u,)

I was HUGELY nervous about world leading up, but it brought a ton of good to the game. Just a lot of needed modernization and polish, and a good course correction after Generation's hunter arts.

• Options
    I don't think that the series needed course correction, at least not in the way that World did it. I can see issues with some of Generation's systems, but for the ones that I thought might be problematic, World doubled down on instead of backing off.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Lucedes wrote: »

that's the elder dragon from MH Generations, like, directly.

Nakarkos is a helluva drug.
    Nakarkos while excellent, wears armor made from bones and has elder dragon head laser tentacles.

Not what I'm looking for, talkin bout a giant cephlapod that uses a large battleship/station. Launches cannons, dragonators, harpoons, etc.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I don't think that the series needed course correction, at least not in the way that World did it. I can see issues with some of Generation's systems, but for the ones that I thought might be problematic, World doubled down on instead of backing off.

Could you go into specifics? Like i'm not trying to bait you into an argument here, i'm just trying to understand. Because to me, World is... well, it's Monster Hunter as all hell.

Hunter arts being cut was great, and the fun stuff from them was mostly brought back and built into the kits anyway. Visually being able to see hit # was something i was super leery of initially, but it turns out nope, it's way more readable in game and in combat, and makes it way easier to tell if i'm thumping a weakspot or wasting my time. Health potions not locking you in place was compensated by... they're actually way riskier to use now, since they're not nearly as fast to heal you.

The armor system is just friendlier to people - I'll still agree the deco system is a bit shit, but that's to do with it's grind and dud options and not having any good RNG mitigation for it... which it's not like the previous charm system didn't have exactly the same issues with that. (That said, it does magnify it, and i stand by the fact the deco system is unhealthy in the expecations of how much of the game you're suppsoed to play). But now you can put togther random stuff and still get some functional skills, rather than shooting yourself in the foot.

Tempered monsters are probably the best the end game monster system has been, compared to previous systems like Hypers or Apex monsters.

Like just across the board, it really did improve a whole crap ton of stuff.

• Options
    World doubled down on... what exactly?

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The horrors of accessibility.

• Options
    edited October 2020

Coming from someone who hadn't played a MH game before this one:

"Accessibility" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

I initially bounced off of MHW because its not really the easiest game to wrap your head around, but the combat was so good it kept me coming back until I broke through.

(And yes, I do play a few games people consider to be "convoluted" like Path of Exile so it's not a matter of being used to straightforward gaming)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Coming from someone who hadn't played a MH game before this one:

"Accessibility" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

I initially bounced off of MHW because its not really the easiest game to wrap your head around, but the combat was so good it kept me coming back until I broke through.

(And yes, I do play a few games people consider to be "convoluted" like Path of Exile so it's not a matter of being used to straightforward gaming)

I haven't played MHW but you have to appreciate the sliding scale being employed here. Previous MH on-ramping was trash. 4U was the best I've seen but both 3U and Gen/GenU were chores.