As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    So... this honestly has enough elements of MHW in it now I feel compelled to post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox6EFI5CGhw

So I wasn't terribly interested in this movie, but I have to admit they are trying very hard to make it worthwhile. I'm noticing both Tencent and TOHO's logos are shown in the beginning... so now we know the how regarding both the budget and the effects.

Apparently Ron Perlman is playing The Admiral, which you see briefly (and yeah, they did their best to make him look like him). And... yeah... that's the Meowscular Chef folks. In a movie.

Also Clutch Claw shenanigans in the trailer.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    This movie looks horrible and I can't wait.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    That is a far better trailer than the oops all military wank trailer we got.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, that actually looks ok, not great, but actually ok.

I'm not buying it though. After five million bad Resident Evil movies, I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole unless it gets miraculously decent reviews.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The Handler is in there too! Here is the Japanese version of the trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lE45EoVi-Q

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    So... this honestly has enough elements of MHW in it now I feel compelled to post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox6EFI5CGhw

So I wasn't terribly interested in this movie, but I have to admit they are trying very hard to make it worthwhile. I'm noticing both Tencent and TOHO's logos are shown in the beginning... so now we know the how regarding both the budget and the effects.

Apparently Ron Perlman is playing The Admiral, which you see briefly (and yeah, they did their best to make him look like him). And... yeah... that's the Meowscular Chef folks. In a movie.

Also Clutch Claw shenanigans in the trailer.

Holy shit, Nerscylla? Would not have expected that.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    4n3v2f.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    4n3v2f.jpg
    He's going to take a bite, say "mmm...tasty" and I'm going to cringe and do small lil humming bird claps while grinning at the same time.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    kxlx2my9pefz.png

Erm... okay... I guess they're not QUITE done with MHW yet. Gotta have a tie in somewhere...

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Nuuuuuu!

Its in the actual games now. Its canon.

God help us all.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The worst part of the isekai plot is that it just helps Mila be the same character she has been in all of her movies, which is pretty much just Mila.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Very tiny thread necro because I thought you old hands would be amused by my experience. Recently picked up world +expansion because I had the thought, "I want to play dauntless but solo, and that shit was not at all balanced for solo"...

4 "kill vespoids investigations" in a row later...."is...is this list getting any shorter? Dear God who decided anyone would want to.. wait imma go read.....shit ok, these aren't a list, they just generate, ok, ok, never taking this again unless I need parts for armor. (The vespoid horn was neat though, fun to start and figure out forte notes with)

Much later again, because I like farting around and seem to fear the main campaign wayyyyyy more than I should. So after fighting the big magma elder thing for the (first? Only?) Time. "Huh I wonder if I should ever upgrade some armor? Oh that takes spheres, I don't have a ton of those, where do those come from? Oh bounties, but those didn't unlock yet...wait let's look at a guide and....oh. oh you pick them, that list wasn't greyed out for an unlock it just wasn't selected...
    So all this time...
    We'll shit. Least I was having fun."

So yeah, great game 10/10 love dual blades, s+s, greatsword, hammer and hunting horn. Duck the heavy bow gun and the longsword. Also captures are also so much easier than I expected, I need to learn that this game just doesn't hate me like the series has a reputation for.
    Also my non game playing partner was at least brought in for opinions on how to best replicate our dumb and adventurous cat, so truley winning hearts and minds here. Unlike the hunters, ravaging a new land.
    Oh I was also pretty far in before I saw there were inv boxes somewhere other than my room, so that was a huge qol upgrade too.

And a couple qs, are there any resources I only get one shot at, or some really really limited amount? And is the poogie at all worth the time or could I just hit a few key spots for items/costumes or is it just random rolls? Cause I'm swimming in cash for now and do not care about more steel eggs. Also it seems ammo is so cheap they should really just start you with a full set and let you craft more in the field? Let me know if that's bonkers for a reason I don't get. Though I don't plan to use a gun for anything but dealing with bounties or similar that need me to take things out of the air.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Very tiny thread necro because I thought you old hands would be amused by my experience. Recently picked up world +expansion because I had the thought, "I want to play dauntless but solo, and that shit was not at all balanced for solo"...

4 "kill vespoids investigations" in a row later...."is...is this list getting any shorter? Dear God who decided anyone would want to.. wait imma go read.....shit ok, these aren't a list, they just generate, ok, ok, never taking this again unless I need parts for armor. (The vespoid horn was neat though, fun to start and figure out forte notes with)

Much later again, because I like farting around and seem to fear the main campaign wayyyyyy more than I should. So after fighting the big magma elder thing for the (first? Only?) Time. "Huh I wonder if I should ever upgrade some armor? Oh that takes spheres, I don't have a ton of those, where do those come from? Oh bounties, but those didn't unlock yet...wait let's look at a guide and....oh. oh you pick them, that list wasn't greyed out for an unlock it just wasn't selected...
    So all this time...
    We'll shit. Least I was having fun."

So yeah, great game 10/10 love dual blades, s+s, greatsword, hammer and hunting horn. Duck the heavy bow gun and the longsword. Also captures are also so much easier than I expected, I need to learn that this game just doesn't hate me like the series has a reputation for.
    Also my non game playing partner was at least brought in for opinions on how to best replicate our dumb and adventurous cat, so truley winning hearts and minds here. Unlike the hunters, ravaging a new land.
    Oh I was also pretty far in before I saw there were inv boxes somewhere other than my room, so that was a huge qol upgrade too.

And a couple qs, are there any resources I only get one shot at, or some really really limited amount? And is the poogie at all worth the time or could I just hit a few key spots for items/costumes or is it just random rolls? Cause I'm swimming in cash for now and do not care about more steel eggs. Also it seems ammo is so cheap they should really just start you with a full set and let you craft more in the field? Let me know if that's bonkers for a reason I don't get. Though I don't plan to use a gun for anything but dealing with bounties or similar that need me to take things out of the air.

There's no limited resources except stuff locked behind seasonal events, but pretty soon all of that will be available permanently on a rotational schedule. Everything else is farm-able given time. Poogie's just a fun distraction, don't have to interact with it every time or once you've unlocked all of it's costumes.

Once you unlock/expand the farm, it becomes pretty easy to get ammo from that. You may also try other weapons to hit flying things, like using Insect Glaive or Bow (coatings are like ammo, but you get one infinite stock coating as well).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Yeah to be clear, ammo seems so abundant that it really feels like a waste of a system? Just the tiniest inconvenience as you go about your day, which, yay not being annoyed but also then why bother at all? And yeah the glaive is on the list, just have not gotten around to it, so many toys! And glad to hear on poogie, he's cute, he's a mudkip now, but lord that little game is just nothing and kinda slow.

• Options
    Yeah to be clear, ammo seems so abundant that it really feels like a waste of a system? Just the tiniest inconvenience as you go about your day, which, yay not being annoyed but also then why bother at all? And yeah the glaive is on the list, just have not gotten around to it, so many toys! And glad to hear on poogie, he's cute, he's a mudkip now, but lord that little game is just nothing and kinda slow.

The ammo system is more of a thing at high/master rank.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Yeah, it's really only the higher tiers/more esoteric ammo (cluster, wyvern) that are particularly limited. Almost all of the lower ammo is pretty cheap in the shop, and middle tier stuff can easily be generated via the farm.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, it's really only the higher tiers/more esoteric ammo (cluster, wyvern) that are particularly limited. Almost all of the lower ammo is pretty cheap in the shop, and middle tier stuff can easily be generated via the farm.

Even the higher tier ammo can be easily covered with the farm? I mean, between the botanical box (provided you've done the side quests that have unlocked all the upgrades) and the vendor having the base ingredients needed for the higher tier ammo types, it's pretty easy to crank out max-sized stacks of everything.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Even the higher tier ammo can be easily covered with the farm? I mean, between the botanical box (provided you've done the side quests that have unlocked all the upgrades) and the vendor having the base ingredients needed for the higher tier ammo types, it's pretty easy to crank out max-sized stacks of everything.

I think they're more referring to running out of stuff like elemental, status, cluster, sticky, and slicing ammo during a hunt and having to restock mid-hunt. You'll be hard pressed to do that with normal/spread/pierce (even with bringing combine materials).

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I think they're more referring to running out of stuff like elemental, status, cluster, sticky, and slicing ammo during a hunt and having to restock mid-hunt. You'll be hard pressed to do that with normal/spread/pierce (even with bringing combine materials).

Ah, that kind of limited ammo.

In those times, I find it easier to bring along a farcaster than the crafting materials to make the ammo on the fly.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    World made on the fly crafting so easy though, and Iceborne made it even better. Use the radial menu to do it, and use the craft all option. There's only a few cases where you want to craft single ammo to prevent wastage of anyways (stickies). It's so damn fast and easy to do while reloading.

But of course, World also added restocking during hunts so it is a bit moot. Just delays how much you have to go back, if at all.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_tXczxtwRo

A bit of new info, but not much. Nice to see Gaijin getting some notice from Capcom though.

• Options
    Movie tie-in quests are live. Movie lady's armor is not a full-conversion set like the Witcher ones, just her armor and hair. Quests let you switch from her dual blades like the witcher quest does, if her weapons are craftable like the witcher ones were, they need something other than the reward drops I got from the quest, didn't see anything in the forge list.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Monster Hunter Pulled from Chinese Theaters Over Offensive Slur
    Variety states that Monster Hunter made up approximately 25% of all film screenings in China on Friday. That number has now fallen to around .07%.

Great job, Paul.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX_JDyVkgpE

new monsters! new locals! new... siege event maybe? stuff!

• Options
    WWWWWWWWRRRRROOOOOOOOOGIIIIII

Welcome back, buddy! Here's hoping your armor is even half as good as it used to be.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Big Flooded Forest vibes from that area. The inhabitants play to that as well.

Getting a quite-intentional MonHun Portable 3rd-2 takeaway. Well done Capcom, I might have to try it.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Also interesting - there was what looked like Great Baggi, but it summoned lighting down as well.

Edit: I'm a fool! That's KHEZU screaming while the lighting hits poor baggi. Oh dear.

The two new monsters looked great, both really interesting takes on the flying wyvern build (Though Sommacanth might be a plesio-family?). Happy to see Ludroth back - stylish armor and a fun punching bag.

ALso Bishatern is a Fanged Beast! Not a Flying Wyvern. Hopefully that means we get Kecha Wacha back

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Also interesting - there was what looked like Great Baggi, but it summoned lighting down as well.

Edit: I'm a fool! That's KHEZU screaming while the lighting hits poor baggi. Oh dear.

Yeah looks like Gigginox gets shelved again but if that's the price we pay for no Dromes I'll take it I guess.
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Big Flooded Forest vibes from that area. The inhabitants play to that as well.

The music cue was so similar to Flooded Forest I perked up in recognition (I listen to the Tri OST fairly often). Maybe we'll get a Shifting Sands echo as well?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So as a fairly new player to the series, do all of the games have amazing music scores like MHW?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Maybe this will be the game where I finally play GS.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    So as a fairly new player to the series, do all of the games have amazing music scores like MHW?

AFAIK yes.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Let me put it this way: I think some of MHW remixes are inferior to the original.

But yes, one of monster hunters trademarks is really amazing music

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    So Khezu is basically confirmed?

*shouts in despair*

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    So Khezu is basically confirmed?

*shouts in despair*

Was talking (on FB) with a local friend about this. Is Gigginox punished by being poison primary? Like... if Baleful were the default version would it have supplanted Khezu by now? As in, they want a low-tier thunder type and Khezu is all they have?

FWIW I think Giggi has a few other mechanics that worked against it, but Rise has the tools to invalidate the most obnoxious one (ceiling-hugging) and I'd really love to see that interaction.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i hate that they like to bring back bleh monsters. reading rajang is going to be coming back again no joke made me want to not get the game. i hate farming his shit for end game gear. Khezu is inferior to gigginox but either way ill probably only fight it for whatever is necessary for an electric weapon. i would have preferred they bring back Astalos instead for a lightning monster.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i hate that they like to bring back bleh monsters. reading rajang is going to be coming back again no joke made me want to not get the game. i hate farming his shit for end game gear. Khezu is inferior to gigginox but either way ill probably only fight it for whatever is necessary for an electric weapon. i would have preferred they bring back Astalos instead for a lightning monster.

I just wish Khezu wasn't necessary for making the armor/might drinks.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »

I just wish Khezu wasn't necessary for making the armor/might drinks.

Royal Ludroth gives the extracts too iirc?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Maybe? Khezu isn't hard to fight, it's just annoying to farm him over and over when you want to make consumables. Him and gypceros

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The thing with Khezu is that he's in the running for the most boring goddamn monster in the series.

Like. Khezu's big danger thing is when he literally stays still in one place and just electrifies his skin. That's the big threat move of Khezu that will get you killed. When you poke the immobile target too many times or hit the hard bits and get locked into the bounce animation, so you can't get out in time to not eat the immobile zap field. As far as most weapon categories are concerned, Khezu is basically a Magdaros magmacore that occasionally tries to bite you.

Gigginox was a much better fight from every angle. Even the wall hugging made for more interesting mechanics.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I kind of want to see Zamtrios

(I saw him in a youtube video where after the inflation one of the guys was laughing so hard he dropped the controller, and he looks like fun)