As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I personally thought generations was the best of the handheld games. I greatly preferred fighting the alternate powered up monsters in that than the apex monsters in 4. I did really like the magalas though. I also liked parts of the underwater stuff from 3 though.

I think AT stuff in world was a huge turnoff. Like doubling health and making most attacks basically one shot you isn't fun, it's just tedious. The AT Kirin quest was a hard wall for a huge number of people, and I think I made a charge blade or hammer specifically for that fight alone. I wish the end game made more of the monsters matter than just farming the same few things. World is really bad about that because they have a lot of power creep that invalidates a lot of content.

I don't think I'll mind having separate solo/multiplayer lobbies so long as the multiplayer ones scale hp to a single player. That was always the biggest annoyance for me. If I did things solo it would take much longer than it needed to.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    What’s the best Charge Blade these days?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I assume Fatalis is the king of the heap now

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I assume Fatalis is the king of the heap now

I guess I should preface that I'm looking for something that doesn't require Alatreon or Fatalis... I haven't beaten Alatreon yet : (

SAED isn't a big focus anymore, right? Like the empowered axe attacks are what to strive for? I imagine non-elemental CBs are still the best?

Just peeping around, Acidic Glavenus seems to be huge raw

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    IIRC its Golden Lune from Gold Rath -> Safi -> Raging Brachy -> Fatalis for impact phial CB / SAED spam playstyle
    Kjarr CB for all things elemental

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    even MHW tosses an endless wave of tutorials and systems at you incredibly rapidly. It's a brick wall, but once you start getting some of it it all starts to click.

Then you realize you never even saw stuff like radial menu versus d-pad shuffle or special moves in weapons (e.g. hilt stab on HH) etc etc

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    even MHW tosses an endless wave of tutorials and systems at you incredibly rapidly. It's a brick wall, but once you start getting some of it it all starts to click.

Then you realize you never even saw stuff like radial menu versus d-pad shuffle or special moves in weapons (e.g. hilt stab on HH) etc etc

There's so many systems in this game I'm glad I'm on PC.

I do radial menus on keyboard.

Fuck there's still a few moves for lance I don't have down yet (Jumping neutral block, turnaround, and backswipe).

• Options
    IIRC its Golden Lune from Gold Rath -> Safi -> Raging Brachy -> Fatalis for impact phial CB / SAED spam playstyle
    Kjarr CB for all things elemental

Yeah I finally found an up to date guide. Looks like Fatalis is top if I can ever get there, but Safi is rated a bit above Raging Brachy, I guess because Teostra Technique is a big deal and you can put that on Safi to get more armor flexibility

The powered up axe is fun to swing around

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    There's only one soundtrack for savage axe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJdMjRHRLfg
    Literally the entire combo right there, charge the axe, down swing, up swing then charge more phials

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    That's got to be the last update for world. There haven't been any announcements for further content releases has there? And they will probably want to advertise Rise after new years.

I just got mhgu since I own a switch now and it's on sale. Hopefully I still have my save on my ds to transfer.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    That's got to be the last update for world. There haven't been any announcements for further content releases has there? And they will probably want to advertise Rise after new years.

I just got mhgu since I own a switch now and it's on sale. Hopefully I still have my save on my ds to transfer.

Yeah they're closing up shop and just tossing everything into the mix at once, so all of the content is open.

It's been a lot of fun, I just wish I had hopped on the MHW train earlier. MHR will be cool but I don't think it'll be on the same level as MHW was.

The good news is... there's definitely going to be another mainline MH game, and probably sooner rather than later.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well...almost all of the content.

Still no Horizon: ZD crossover hunts for PC users.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    i booted up GU for a few minutes before the baby lost his mind. it is amazing how much clearer everything is in it. It was so much easier to tell different things apart, and there is actual contrast between things rather than a bunch of shades of gray/brown. i think i need to fiddle with the controls a little. i only did a low level rathian hunt and movement or something just felt a little off and i couldnt remember what could combo into each other with the LS. being able to use the dpad for the special arts instead of the touchscreen is amazeballs though.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I wouldnt mind some events that just had bigger crown chance... Like the HZD one that gives a crown Deviljho.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm not sure what the ethics are of discussing it are but sounds like the recent leak confirms Rise and Stories 2 will be heading to PC.

Will be holding out for the PC releases then.

Just please god be merciful, Capcom, don't make us wait a whole year for it or something. ;_;

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the ethics are of discussing it are but sounds like the recent leak confirms Rise and Stories 2 will be heading to PC.

Just please god be merciful, Capcom, don't make us wait a whole year for it or something. ;_;

what leak?

• Options
    edited November 2020

what leak?
    It was this whole crazy thing where Capcom got blackmailed by hackers, they didn't pay a ransom for the information so they started releasing it into the wild. Both personal information and stuff about company projects in development.

The game stuff has started to pop up on message boards tonight.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    “Don’t make me wait a year for PC port?” Capcom?

I understand your pain, though, because I waited for World on PC.

• Options
    A recap of the leak I saw was an oct 2021 pc release for rise. And I think June or July simultaneous release for stories 2

• Options
    I uh

I think I'm gonna wait for PC

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    A recap of the leak I saw was an oct 2021 pc release for rise. And I think June or July simultaneous release for stories 2
    Niiice.

Stories 2 looks like its going to be quite something.

Interesting seeing they want to "move away from the childish feel of the first game". They mentioned changing the character's proportions as one way of trying to do that.

Wasn't hugely bugged by the kids show vibe in Stories, I understood what they were going for and thats fine. Happy to hear though they might be dropping the saturday morning anime plot for something a lil bit more serious (but still obviously lighthearted).

• Options
    All the monster hunter media I've consumed has all been fairly light hearted and anime as fuck, which is why it's kind of nice to play a hard ass game that isn't just a souls like.

• Options
    All the monster hunter media I've consumed has all been fairly light hearted and anime as fuck, which is why it's kind of nice to play a hard ass game that isn't just a souls like.
    I need grimdark Monster Hunter.

Lots of gore, your family getting an incinerated by an elder dragon at the start, brooding protagonist that maybe takes his methods too far, brands criminals and tries to kill Superman, etc.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Lots of gore, your family getting an incinerated by an elder dragon at the start, brooding protagonist that maybe takes his methods too far, brands criminals and tries to kill Superman, etc.

I mean... did you play Stories?

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I mean... did you play Stories?
    I'm currently about 60% of the way through it.

We play as the wrong kid.
    W57t8Xn.jpg

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Me and one of my partners are working on setting up a weekly World twitch stream.

Starting from fresh and might go a different weapon than normal.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Seidkona wrote: »
    Me and one of my partners are working on setting up a weekly World twitch stream.

swag if you haven't yet

• Options

swag if you haven't yet

I did a lot of the Swaxe in 3 and 4.

loved it!

right now weapons I haven't really used are: Longsword, Charge Axe, Insect Glaive, Greatsword, and Dual Blades.

• Options

swag if you haven't yet

loved it!

right now weapons I haven't really used are: Longsword, Charge Axe, Insect Glaive, Greatsword, and Dual Blades.

Lance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFUInCw7tqQ&t=188s

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

swag if you haven't yet

loved it!

I can speak to Longsword being a lot of fun in world (and even sillier in Iceborne, but). Glaive was a lot of fun too, and being able to just dance all over the wings of a flying monster is fun. Many of them have very few attacks that can hit above them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

swag if you haven't yet

loved it!

Lance

oh, yeah. I've never played lance before!

:lol:

• Options

swag if you haven't yet

loved it!

Lance

I COMPLETELY read that wrong and those 5 were ones you have used, my fault!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

swag if you haven't yet

loved it!

I can speak to Longsword being a lot of fun in world (and even sillier in Iceborne, but). Glaive was a lot of fun too, and being able to just dance all over the wings of a flying monster is fun. Many of them have very few attacks that can hit above them.

Yeah, this is what made the Zorah Magdaros of Iceborne trivial for me.

...then they patched in new attacks for Velkhana that gives her several more vertical attacks.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

swag if you haven't yet

loved it!

Lance

No biggie I just thought it was funny.

People whom I have played with here know I am the Lance Queen and usually end up just using it no matter what I say.

• Options

swag if you haven't yet

loved it!

Lance

No biggie I just thought it was funny.

People whom I have played with here know I am the Lance Queen and usually end up just using it no matter what I say.

I've tried several other weapons, but nothing feels as good to me. I've just recently begun incorporating charge/mount tactics into my play to really spice things up and I've gotten to the point where I don't do the 1/2/3 "normal" combo unless it's on a downed/stunned monster and I begin it with a Power Guard hit.

Recently blocked a Bazel divebomb midair and felt just incredibly badass.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of getting back into this, but where can I find the grappling tutorial?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting back into this, but where can I find the grappling tutorial?

You should be able to access it from the quest board/handlers

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

You should be able to access it from the quest board/handlers

Thank you I found it.

Not only was it there, but it was a 1-star, Lo-Rank quest. Lesson Learned. Not everything in Iceborne is Master Rank.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767