As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    DB are my most used weapon in World, I didn't feel like I lost anything in Rise? I think we lost the infinite combo with X when moving side from side, but I didn't test it too much, so maybe it's still there.

I think it's still there?

https://youtu.be/Ro0B8rBACAU

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Tried the demo; GS still feels great

love the throwback to more colourful/vibrant Monster Hunter motif

game looks gorgeous and frame rate doesnt bug me

not a huge fan of wire bug nonsense but im sure ill find a way it breaks Great Sword

excited!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    DB are my most used weapon in World, I didn't feel like I lost anything in Rise? I think we lost the infinite combo with X when moving side from side, but I didn't test it too much, so maybe it's still there.

It's still there, have to input a stick direction + X afaik to keep it chaining

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Tried the demo; GS still feels great

love the throwback to more colourful/vibrant Monster Hunter motif

game looks gorgeous and frame rate doesnt bug me

not a huge fan of wire bug nonsense but im sure ill find a way it breaks Great Sword

excited!

Oh I'm going to buy it and I'm going to play the shit out of it, don't get me fucked up!

I just really liked the 60 fps in World/Iceborne

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I didn't play World. My basis for comparison is MH1 thru Generations Ultimate.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »

Oh! Yeah DB changed a lot when we got World, that certainly explains everything.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Oh! Yeah DB changed a lot when we got World, that certainly explains everything.

Even if the weapon doesn't click well for me, the buzzsaw down a monster's spine is so viscerally satisfying.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

You really should. World and Iceborne were very good entries in the series

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

You really should. World and Iceborne were very good entries in the series
    No thanks. I'm not a fan of how this plays. It's clearly very much like World.

I gave the demo a fair shake. All my misgivings about World's changes were confirmed, plus more unexpected quarrels besides. The few things I liked, such as the new LS moves, can't make up for the mountain of dislikes.

My hunting retirement is in no danger.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm really confused what your misgivings are dood - In general, world has been a much needed modernization, without loosing any of the core of what makes the game. and i say that as someone who was SUPER cynical about world when it was first announced.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Is World the first to have a single cohesive map without loading between zones?

I’ve kinda wanted to try some older MHs but I don’t think they would grip me. Just something about each locale feeling like a big cohesive ecosystem sucked me in. I’ve seen older ones where each zone is like a little battle arena and it just ruins the immersion for me.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I admit, I also wasn't quite as much into World as into previous Monster Hunters. Mostly the focus on the four Elders in the base game, when pretty much all the four "big" Elders (Teostra, Hazaak, Daora, Kirin) in World absolutely suck to fight (when the most fun of the bunch is Kushala Daora you know we're in trouble) burned me out intensely, and in Iceborne I didn't really like the clutch claw, which as things went forward kept feeling more and more mandatory.

The fact that the supposedly better graphics caused me to not be able to see shit in several maps probably didn't help, mind.

It wasn't a bad game anyway, mind. It's just I didn't really go into lategame in it and instead mostly beat it and moved on.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options

I’ve kinda wanted to try some older MHs but I don’t think they would grip me. Just something about each locale feeling like a big cohesive ecosystem sucked me in. I’ve seen older ones where each zone is like a little battle arena and it just ruins the immersion for me.

Yes, World is the first to not have hard zone boundaries. It still divides out into clear rooms and halls though.

• Options

It's the first one, yeah. It's a change i really appreciate as well - nothing worse than loading into a zone, eating an attack, and being punted straight into the loading screen.

I mean, now you cant run screaming into a loading screen to save your own arse....

I think the only real criticism is it has forced the maps to be "Smaller" - some of the old maps implicitly covered a LOt of ground. But given how big stuff like Ancient Forest managed to be (and that sweet, sweet sweet verticality), it's a small loss.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I think the zone in the demo is really good overall, its plenty big, though I know what you mean about the loading zones and the implicit distance with them.

And nightime Mizu fights with water reflections going are just gorgeous.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I think the zone in the demo is really good overall, its plenty big, though I know what you mean about the loading zones and the implicit distance with them.

As interesting as the continuous zone geometry is to explore, it seemed to severely decrease the biome/scenery diversity, at least in the Shrine Ruins. Did World have maps with comparable area diversity to the old separated zones, or was that a casualty of the format change?

Mind you, even if World did have that doesn't mean Rise will. It's possible Rise could have lower graphic diversity due to memory limits. Switch has 4 GB of RAM, while PS4 and XB1 have 8 GB.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

As interesting as the continuous zones are to explore, it seemed to severely decrease the biome/scenery diversity, at least in the Shrine Ruins. Did World have maps with comparable area diversity to the old separated zones, or was that a casualty of the format change?

I would say that the diversity in each map in World is pretty great. The least diverse map would probably be the Coral Highlands, but it isn't any less diverse than some of the classic MH maps.

• Options
    Yeah, world diversity was really good - ancient forest included overgrown areas, deep woods, wide open spaces, a cave system, a second "cave" system (the hollowed out parts of the tree, acutally), top of the tree, the tree vines...

Hoarfrost reach had stony areas, deep snow areas, a gigantic cave system, glaciers, hotsprings. So on and so forth. The least diverse areas are the Coral Highlands and Rotten Vale, but like Jeix said - they're no less diverse than classic MH maps. Their diversity is just a bit more of shaded differences rather than primary color differences if that analogy makes sense.

And even then, Rotting Vale and Coral Highlands are explicitly two halves of the same coin - they coulda cheaped out and made it a single zone, rather than the two in depth zones we got to explore.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The Ancient Forest was a bit mindblowing for me, as my first ever Monster Hunter area.

Chasing down an Anjanath for 30-40 minutes (my first Anjanath, don't judge!) and collecting new items to craft mid-fight, having the fight interrupted by other monsters, and just watching the jagras taking pot shots at the downed pink fluffy t-rex was an amazing gaming experience.

I remember just sitting back after the big idiot finally got felled, not realizing there was a time limit to carving outside of the "tutorial" monsters. It was the first real fight I had, the other 3-4 previous to it weren't the same thing as those monsters weren't on the same level.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The improvements to the controls in World are worth it alone.

• Options
    The Coral Highlands is one of the best designed video game areas ever

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The Coral Highlands is one of the best designed video game areas ever

Aesthetically I agree, but parts of it were mazelike trying to get there.

• Options
    I really hoped that as the game progressed, it was going to eventually unlock both Coral Highlands and the Rotten Vale as one big map

• Options
    I really hoped that as the game progressed, it was going to eventually unlock both Coral Highlands and the Rotten Vale as one big map

I mean

Technically it did

• Options
    I know, what I mean that you'd be able to move between them both freely in the same quest!

• Options
    I know, what I mean that you'd be able to move between them both freely in the same quest!

I mean yes

Guiding Lands

Technically... it did

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    it's funny that i put 1500 hours into workd and my mental map of any of zones aside from the recess and wildspire is still spotty

the monsters tend to follow a handful of predictable paths per zone, so you learn a few corridors really well and not much beyond that

Elendil on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    it's funny that i put 1500 hours into workd and my mental map of any of zones aside from the recess and wildspire is still spotty

the monsters tend to follow a handful of predictable paths per zone, so you learn a few corridors really well and not much beyond that

I have a pretty good mental map of everything except the middle section of the forest.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

I have a pretty good mental map of everything except the middle section of the forest.

In that respect, it worked really well! It's exactly like a forest, confusing terrifying and filled with things that wish to eat you

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Viper Tobi was giving me issues so I decided I'm just gonna main GL for this and block all the things. Crafted up a Banbarro GL and guard 3 charm and I'm off the races.

I'm supposed to be playing on master rank from the jump, yeah? All these MR achievements are popping as rare, like the cheevo you get for your first MR hunt was a sub 5% rare. Was Iceborne just not popular on Xbox?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Gemming in the skills to negate poison and paralysis makes viper tobi a lot easier, as you might imagine.

So long as you got through most of high rank in the base game it should be no problem jumping into master rank, yeah, not much point trying to grind out the final tier of high rank equipment as it'll be quickly outshadowed by master rank gear anyway.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Viper Tobi was giving me issues so I decided I'm just gonna main GL for this and block all the things. Crafted up a Banbarro GL and guard 3 charm and I'm off the races.

I'm supposed to be playing on master rank from the jump, yeah? All these MR achievements are popping as rare, like the cheevo you get for your first MR hunt was a sub 5% rare. Was Iceborne just not popular on Xbox?

Isn’t it on Gamepass now? Which would mean a ton of people downloaded it/“own it,” and then probably barely played it, causing later achievements to drop in %

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Isn’t it on Gamepass now? Which would mean a ton of people downloaded it/“own it,” and then probably barely played it, causing later achievements to drop in %

Oh, good point, that's probably the culprit

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

Viper onward was a real kick in the teeth for me. Everything gets so jumpy and mean.

• Options
    Coral Pukei wasn't too bad but Nightshade Paolumu was a booty fight, just always up in the air with no weak spots and constant aoe sleep, and now I'm butting heads with Barioth. I will admit I wasn't expecting ice Nergigante 5 hunts into the game.

• Options
    Coral Pukei wasn't too bad but Nightshade Paolumu was a booty fight, just always up in the air with no weak spots and constant aoe sleep, and now I'm butting heads with Barioth. I will admit I wasn't expecting ice Nergigante 5 hunts into the game.

I had sleep immunity armor pre-set for that fight.

I usually keep a set of armor for every elemental type/status ailment loaded up in the Loadouts section and switch between them depending on the fight. Poison, sleep, water, fire, dragon, you name it.

Also, being lance, jumpy monsters just fueled my claw counters.

• Options

I usually keep a set of armor for every elemental type/status ailment loaded up in the Loadouts section and switch between them depending on the fight. Poison, sleep, water, fire, dragon, you name it.

Yeah, once I saw what it was doing I restarted with sleep resist and then it was just a slog of glancing damage until it died.

Grabbed the Milla Jovovich armor last night and that 2 piece with a GL feels like cheating. Block all the things and poke yourself back to full health. Take a hike Barioth, and leave me your teeth and tail.

• Options

Yeah, once I saw what it was doing I restarted with sleep resist and then it was just a slog of glancing damage until it died.

Grabbed the Milla Jovovich armor last night and that 2 piece with a GL feels like cheating. Block all the things and poke yourself back to full health. Take a hike Barioth, and leave me your teeth and tail.

Yeah my lances have health on hit, Guard 5, Guard Up, etc. Unbreakable monster, except for the big boys (Alatreon, etc).

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So I checked out the bowguns in the Rise demo. I knew going into it that it was going to be bad, but seeing my main weapon in GU turned into a low commitment strafefest still hurt pretty hard.

jothki on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Well if you want to be immobile there is still hbg. But really with wirebug everything is mobile now. That's just how the game is changing. More mobile stuff let's content creators do cooler looking things, which is just free advertising.