As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    is anyone looking for a gunlance guide

https://youtu.be/gR8EW8R6n1E

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So I forgot to mention how Rage Slash fixes True Charge in every single possible way.

50% damage reduction while rocksteady? Check.
    360 degree aiming of the Rage Slash? Check.
    90% of the damage of a True Charge Slash after taking a decent hit? Check.

It's such a good move, and there's so many different skills that synergize with a move that takes damage like Resentment and Latent Power.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Man, after buying the power/defense charms I am sooo broke. This is the part of the game I hate, slowly grinding back to my scrooge mcduck levels of zenny from World. :(

Make sure to check your cohoot nest in the buddy area every few quests! You can semi-often find the egg items that sell for zenny. Same thing for the special items on sale from the trader.

Are y'all creating open lobbies for just anyone to join, or are people using a specific code so only friend's list people join your games? I'll be using 8226 (TACO) as my game pass code if any of y'all wanna join me as I begin my climb in HR this week.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    My group of friends are all using a Hunter Connect to find each other and my own discord to chat. Im happy to friend people and invite you to the connect if anyone wants it.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Man, after buying the power/defense charms I am sooo broke. This is the part of the game I hate, slowly grinding back to my scrooge mcduck levels of zenny from World. :(

Make sure to check your cohoot nest in the buddy area every few quests! You can semi-often find the egg items that sell for zenny. Same thing for the special items on sale from the trader.

Are y'all creating open lobbies for just anyone to join, or are people using a specific code so only friend's list people join your games? I'll be using 8226 (TACO) as my game pass code if any of y'all wanna join me as I begin my climb in HR this week.
    I've just been jumping into people's open lobbies or joining via Join Request (which makes it easy to matchmake into a specific quest that you want), although really, I've been doing most of the content solo because people are generally just bad at the game. I'm on the PA MH Discord when I play (linked in the OP), and I'm usually free to join other people if they want to hunt.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    My group of friends are all using a Hunter Connect to find each other and my own discord to chat. Im happy to friend people and invite you to the connect if anyone wants it.

How's Hunter Connect work? I've checked it a few times and it doesn't display anything in it.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    is anyone looking for a gunlance guide

By god an hour is too long.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

How's Hunter Connect work? I've checked it a few times and it doesn't display anything in it.

its basically just a clan thing, if you start a lobby and set it as connect, others can just search directly for connect and join immediately without having to be friended, etc. No code needed either. Its just easy connecting.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Is a 10 person guild and you leave your lobby open to join for those 10 people only I think.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    I want to use the Hunter connects, but 10 people is too small. I wish we could have a PA Hunter-wide one.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So to unlock the switch skills from the quests so I need to use that weapon on that quest? Or is just unlock by finishing it?

And man mud fish you got upgraded like whoa, and you bait like a bastard with your "I'm flopping so you think I'm wounded but psyche!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    So to unlock the switch skills from the quests so I need to use that weapon on that quest? Or is just unlock by finishing it?

And man mud fish you got upgraded like whoa, and you bait like a bastard with your "I'm flopping so you think I'm wounded but psyche!"
    You can just complete the quest using any weapon, and you get the skill.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Yeah the real bastard is the crafting switch skill.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

I didn't make it past 15 seconds of screaming into a shitty mic. Does it get less insufferable?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options

I didn't make it past 15 seconds of screaming into a shitty mic. Does it get less insufferable?
    Nope. The gist of it is that there are items that you ONLY get from running pets through the Argosy. The symbols to the right of the items on the list will tell you which item comes from where, as well as text in a sidebar on the right side of the list. The Toxic Kumori makes a waist that has two points of Weakness Exploit, which is the big takeaway.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I wouldn't really call them hidden, that's clickbait shit. There have been sets that use the "farm" items like butterfly beetle, armored bream, toxic kumora, etc since at least 3u. Not sure if they were in mhfu, i don't remember.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    lol i think i'm a switch axe main again

this thing is fucken silly, even compared to hammer

i can't believe the literal worst move in the kit got a switch skill replacement

incredible

Elendil on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I wouldn't really call them hidden, that's clickbait shit. There have been sets that use the "farm" items like butterfly beetle, armored bream, toxic kumora, etc since at least 3u. Not sure if they were in mhfu, i don't remember.

Yeah, those are something anyone used to the series will expect, and anyone new to it will find just by using the very helpful features. I think one of the sets is new though (Dreamshell mat).

Hidden is something like Sword-Saint earrings or something that require lots of clears to unlock.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Monster Hunter always gets like the funniest click bait titles.

"THESE SWITCH AXES THE MAN DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!"

Also I swear to god I have a quest for every item but the fucking long sword to get a new switch move.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I almost feel sad that I don't think I'll ever swap out the default hunting horn skills.

• Options

Also I swear to god I have a quest for every item but the fucking long sword to get a new switch move.
    It's in 6* Hub. Zinogre and Mitsutsune in Flooded Forest.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I continue to be angry that Rise has the worst monster hunter food in the game. Essentially shitty Japanese junk food.

I mean, look at this far better option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qtH1ly2Sg

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Dear fucking jesus.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Dear fucking jesus.

It's thematically appropriate.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Dear fucking jesus.

It's thematically appropriate.

I just have to laugh that like one of the other challenges was capturing a low level mon. Longsword "Look you gotta work for this one."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Y’know, war in the MonHun world has got to be absolutely horrific. Not that war isn't in general. But here we have a medieval-ish society with access heavy artillery, aerial bombardments, automatic weapons, portable explosives, combat stims and the height of medical knowledge appears to be splashing juice on yourself.

I hope those mother fuckers got some Geneva Conventions because holy shit.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    After the food in World what even is this bullshit, really?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    It's the most reasonably sized portions that I've ever seen in a Monster Hunter game. Usually, it's enough food to feed a family of four and then some.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Y’know, war in the MonHun world has got to be absolutely horrific. Not that war isn't in general. But here we have a medieval-ish society with access heavy artillery, aerial bombardments, automatic weapons, portable explosives, combat stims and the height of medical knowledge appears to be splashing juice on yourself.

I always get the impression there aren't really wars in the Monster Hunter worlds, at least not against each other because of all the monsters.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I might try and make some mitsurashi dango this weekend, even though I probably won’t like it. I don’t really care for rice cake in general. But I want to eat some because I’m easily influenced.

• Options
    It's the most reasonable sized portions that I've ever seen in a Monster Hunter game. Usually, it's enough food to feed a family of four and then some.

Because the hunters have to like run 10 miles and kill 5 monsters. You need fuel for that machine!

High fatty fuel with loads of sugars and salts.

Honestly the monsters probably don't kill many hunters, diabetes and heart problems do them in.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's the most reasonably sized portions that I've ever seen in a Monster Hunter game. Usually, it's enough food to feed a family of four and then some.

It's the most gamer appropriate food, certainly. Shitty children's donuts!

• Options
    I'll actually be surprised if in a DLC the meowscular chef doesn't show up and bust out some real food items.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

I always get the impression there aren't really wars in the Monster Hunter worlds, at least not against each other because of all the monsters.

I mean, humans are doing pretty well in the monster hunter universe, but also imagine trying to move large amounts of troops through that world.

You'd lose more people to getting eaten by things on the way than to the actual enemy.

But largely, things seem pretty peaceful, anyway.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Yeah the dango song inside the hub is adorable and the NPC is adorable but I want my damn bbq made by the meowscular chef or the delightful casserole/roast from the grammeowster chef.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular

My understanding is that the Monster Hunter games are all set in a post apocalyptic world after a giant war between a previous advanced human civilization and the dragons.

It's why there are ruins all over the place and why they have random advanced technology like fully automatic guns in an otherwise lower tech setting.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    So in case you're wondering if you join a multi group but then lose the group, you remain on the hunt you joined and share its completion. Like I joined a kill two monster halfway through, the lobby dropped when I got in but I was able to keep the monster kill count.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Forget having chefs, let's go back to Portable 3rd's Hot Springs and drinks menu.

• Options
    what the eff is courage mode for hammer