As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    what the eff is courage mode for hammer

valor hammer

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Y’know, war in the MonHun world has got to be absolutely horrific. Not that war isn't in general. But here we have a medieval-ish society with access heavy artillery, aerial bombardments, automatic weapons, portable explosives, combat stims and the height of medical knowledge appears to be splashing juice on yourself.

I hope those mother fuckers got some Geneva Conventions because holy shit.

I always get the impression there aren't really wars in the Monster Hunter worlds, at least not against each other because of all the monsters.

My understanding is that the Monster Hunter games are all set in a post apocalyptic world after a giant war between a previous advanced human civilization and the dragons.

It's why there are ruins all over the place and why they have random advanced technology like fully automatic guns in an otherwise lower tech setting.

Wasn't there a deep lore theory that all the monsters are weaponized AI robots that have become biomechanical or something? I think it was a lore bit that they hinted at very far back and probably dropped.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    It's one of the two Charge Switch skills that Hammer has. The other one is called Strength. They affect the charge changing mechanic (blue/yellow hammer), which is activated by pressing A while doing a charge (Zr).

di5acdyexkag.jpg

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

The opposite of coward mode.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't understand what the benefits of this are

• Options
    i don't understand what the benefits of this are
    Near as I can tell, when you charge up to full on the Hammer in Blue mode (Courage Hammer), you can release Zr and then spam Zr for a multi-hit combo that hits 6-7 times. It does decent damage, just spread out more over a few hits instead of all at once in a big hit. Also, it does more Stun.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yeah the KO is insane

if you can stay in the DPS is very high but it's very committed since it resets the combo if you roll

• Options
    yeah the KO is insane

if you can stay in the DPS is very high but it's very committed since it resets the combo if you roll

only cowards roll

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah True hammer users have the cutest sticker to auto fire off when they cart.

Guess I got hammered again

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh wow. Final lance switch skill. ZOOOOOM, ZOOOOM, POW.

I didn't know lance could move this fast. Holy shit. Also, the damage isn't bad, and it's still a counter move (the window is smaller than anchor rage though).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oh wow. Final lance switch skill. ZOOOOOM, ZOOOOM, POW.

I didn't know lance could move this fast. Holy shit. Also, the damage isn't bad, and it's still a counter move (the window is smaller than anchor rage though).

Lance is one of the fastest weapons in the game already.

I just wish it hit about 20% harder

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah the dango song inside the hub is adorable and the NPC is adorable but I want my damn bbq made by the meowscular chef or the delightful casserole/roast from the grammeowster chef.

Look I'm not saying the fat old lady cat rubbing down a roast then drizzling drippins on it while it cooks got me a little aroused but I'm not not saying that.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the max skill memory for palicos and palamutes is? I assume 20.99 is not really the max level and it will go past 4 slots in high rank. I'm trying to plan out builds and it'd really help to know what I have to work with.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the max skill memory for palicos and palamutes is? I assume 20.99 is not really the max level and it will go past 4 slots in high rank. I'm trying to plan out builds and it'd really help to know what I have to work with.
    I have a Palamute at level 35 and he has a Skill Memory of 5 slots. Not sure if it varies between Palico types or what.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I have acquired all of the armor you get from the amiibos. Because I must play dress up.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Is there any reason not to hire as many buddies as I can? Sending them off to gather things?

I'm still early in game at 3* village.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    Is there any reason not to hire as many buddies as I can? Sending them off to gather things?

I'm still early in game at 3* village.

You can hire them at higher levels later so if you've got more than can be training and trading at once you're not technically being super efficient but meh.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I hired a ton of buddies and put them all in my favorite low-rank gear so now every time I go to the buddy area it's an incredible animal fashion show

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Unlocked Aerial Aim for the bow and holy shit is it so much better than Focus Shot. Or at least more fun; played around with it for the first time on my first Mizutsune hunt and it felt pretty great.

https://youtu.be/mzsMgxoieDo

Bonus points for hunter's best friend saving me from getting pasted at the end.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ahaha. Barroth S. Attack boost 4, defense boost 5, offensive guard 2, guard 3, and... affinity sliding why not. Kind of as expected, but it's a really nice set of lance skills.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Hunting: it's second job.

The only difference for me this time around is that my "first job" this week has been Toddler Wrangler.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I continue to be angry that Rise has the worst monster hunter food in the game. Essentially shitty Japanese junk food.

I would argue it's just as bad as the all-cheese diet from Generations. Maybe better, since it's at least thematically appropriate.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'll actually be surprised if in a DLC the meowscular chef doesn't show up and bust out some real food items.

Problem is you're not choosing a type of meal to be made, you're unlocking and choosing actual dango balls, so unless they want to start an all-new canteen with new unlocks, it's not happening.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So yeah, Greatsword is definitely clicking with me.

I still haven't finished the Hub or Village quests because I've been doing the silly side quests, unlocking camps, making the great wirebug circuits that exist in every level, and just enjoying the game for what it is. I think I'm almost done with 6* but whatever, not the point.

Going from 20 minute Hub quest hunts to sub 15 pretty regularly (Some sub-10) as I learn this weapon. I'm finding the actual use of it isn't the endgame, it's knowing the monster moveset inside out so you can do appropriate reactions. The Royal Ludroth fight was a really good intro to it, as he has a lot of similar moves with slight variations. It's picking out head positions during stances, or arm movements. I kind of enjoy that a lot.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    well, figured i'd give it a try some more since i already own it.

i don't love the way sword and shield works in this one. whole lot of a+x inputs which i find to be a little awkward to be doing constantly mid-combo. i wish the repeated roundslash at the end of the combo could be executed with a single button press because it seems to be where almost all the damage from basic sns combos are, getting a double finisher on your basic string. also have to a+x if you want a version of the midcombo roundslash from world that you got when you changed directions, so it's just a ton of awkward a+x action. idk i'll get used to it eventually i'm sure, but i spent a good 20 minutes in the training room and it still just felt really bad to do basic combos.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Frustrated by the lack of information circulating about Palico and Palamute mechanics, I have begun dabbling in Science. Despite my research subjects being rather lacking at my current lowly rank, I've learned at least some things. (Although sample sizes are so tiny that I'm probably off in some of my assumptions.)

Basic cat behavior includes a couple of different melee combos, a boomerang (single hit only), and a Mini Barrel Bombay-like attack that throws an explosive. The bombs don't apply status, but do ignore hitzones and scale with ranged attack. Cats compulsively try to flank the training dummy in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions, centered on you. They do not like standing close to you. So don't expect them to target good hitzones often.

Mega Boomerang pierces (multiple hits) and applies status if you have it. Whirlwind Assault also hits many times and applies status, but ties the cat up for ages in the animation. The boomerang seems to be more effective most situations between the two, if either is worth anything.

Bombardier cats do more damage with explosives than other cats. Like 35-40% more. That applies to the basic barrel throw as well as Zap Dash Spinner (and presumably Anti-Monster Mine too, but they won't use it in training). Fighter cats are in between Bombardiers and the rest in barrel damage (not sure if that applies to Spinner as well).

Speaking of bomb cats, Feline Wyvern last jams an artillery round into the monster which lasts for about a minute and let's out a burst of explosive damage when struck by a hunter, up to five times. If it expires you get one consolation blast. Even with crappy early weapons and no ranged attack skills it's a solid couple hundred damage if you use it up. Properly-built Bomberdiers might actually not be completely embarrassing in the damage department.

Power Drum probably increases attack by 5% of base. Rousing Roar on Fighter cats raises affinity by 30% and does some other thing which I cannot identify. I know there are a lot of affinity fiends out there, so maybe don't write off Fighter cats like I almost did.

Feline Silkbind limits a monster's movement for a bit, similar to the effect you get after dismounting from a wyvern ride. Endemic Life Barrage shoots status toads specifically, creating poison, paralysis, or sleep clouds on impact. It's enough to proc on the target dummy in one hit, but I don't know how well it performs in real hunts yet.

I don't have access to most of the higher-level stuff yet, or a lot of the passives. Or much equipment. I'll definitely mess around a lot more later on, if nobody else does it for me before then.

And Palamutes...well, I don't have time to go into it tonight, but spoiler alert: dogs are jank as fuck.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Endemic life barrage seems to be trigger status effects from a single use, at least in LR quests, I kept thinking I'd accidentally hit a status toad and gotten lucky till I remembered they don't work like that in this game!

I always like to run with gathering/stealing cats for the bonus materials, but your buddy science is appreciated!

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    HR Hub Mizu does not fuck around. I was one-hit-quit by three different attacks and it was demoralizing as hell.

Redid armor set for more defense and more water res... bleh. Had to give up an Evade Extender and an Evade Window.
    Maybe I'll farm HR Wroggi for the HR cowboy hat, I want that evade extender.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Wyvern, that's good info. I'm trying to get one cat of each type that has a good and varied set of skills from each other, do you have any suggestions off the bat?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    The amount of depth on the skill system of Palicoes and Palamutes is kinda weird if they *don't* make them playable like in Gen.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I have heard that long term, endgame, if you're doing hunts by yourself for monster materials you ABSOLUTELY WANT two gathering-type palicos. So get some leveling up ASAP.

Yes it's a little slower to get around the map without a dog, but you'll have sub-camps unlocked and learn efficient wirebug use to the point where it's really not a big deal.

The gatherer palicos learn the skill Pilfer which lets them steal parts directly from the monster, and it seems like it can be any part, including super rare 1% drop things. You'll get to the end screen and there it'll be listed, your palico somehow nabbed a 1% drop rate Rathian Ruby for you.

And if Generations is anything to go by, the trap and buff skills are awesome too, Shock Purr-ison, Go Fight Win, etc.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I didn't really do any research and made my starting palico a healer type, figured I could change it later. Guess not! And my sentimentality is making it REALLY hard for me to swap him out, but I don't especially need the healing support at this point, so I feel like he's holding me back.

I guess I can just scout a new one that looks exactly the same, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I didn't really do any research and made my starting palico a healer type, figured I could change it later. Guess not! And my sentimentality is making it REALLY hard for me to swap him out, but I don't especially need the healing support at this point, so I feel like he's holding me back.

I guess I can just scout a new one that looks exactly the same, but it just wouldn't be the same.

You can scout one that looks exactly the same and rename it to be the same

edit: as an aside so I don't double post, I re-fought Almudron a few times last night and going in this time knowing to focus the tail & head (and abusing Demon Flight to attack on titan the monster a ton) it was a much more enjoyable experience.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Hmmmm. This is a teaser for a longer post I'm going to make after some more intense tests and research but....

It looks like there were a lot of direct buffs (increase in damage) to aerial glaive combos as well as a stealth buff that.... makes aerial glaive not just viable, but maybe even...dare I say... competitive?

• Options
    (tl;dr- I need to do tests that aren't at 7am before coffee, but I need to go to work. BUT it looks like successive aerial combos buff not only diving wyvern...but...every aerial attack....)

• Options
    Cool details:
    • Minoto is canonically a terrible artist and in the game you can see her sometimes pull out some paper and draw something only to get mad and crumple it up and throw it away...but they put her drawings on this site: https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/us/hunting-guide/
    • Painting cat on the dock has seen the world:
      FlXGTfR.png
      Bherna Village (MHGU)
      Jhen Mohran Sandship (MH3)
      Yukumo Village (MHP3)
      Jungle Map Base Camp (MH2)
    • The drumming cats in the group hub are actually drumming the music. Also their names are Badum and Tish. Also if you use the BGM options to change the music in that area to something else, they will just chill out as there's nothing for them to do!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Also their names are Badum and Tish.

God damn I love puns and these games are crawling with them.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    well, figured i'd give it a try some more since i already own it.

i don't love the way sword and shield works in this one. whole lot of a+x inputs which i find to be a little awkward to be doing constantly mid-combo. i wish the repeated roundslash at the end of the combo could be executed with a single button press because it seems to be where almost all the damage from basic sns combos are, getting a double finisher on your basic string. also have to a+x if you want a version of the midcombo roundslash from world that you got when you changed directions, so it's just a ton of awkward a+x action. idk i'll get used to it eventually i'm sure, but i spent a good 20 minutes in the training room and it still just felt really bad to do basic combos.

Iirc, the main combo is usually X X A A A. Also, if you have a big enough window, doing an attack then hitting back and holding b will cause you to hop back, charge your sword, then jump forward, if you hit the monster on the forward jump you'll vault into the air and can come crashing down sword first (X) or shield first (A). It's a decent source of KO damage if you go shield first.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Cool details:
    • Minoto is canonically a terrible artist and in the game you can see her sometimes pull out some paper and draw something only to get mad and crumple it up and throw it away...but they put her drawings on this site: https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/us/hunting-guide/
    • Painting cat on the dock has seen the world:
      FlXGTfR.png
      Bherna Village (MHGU)
      Jhen Mohran Sandship (MH3)
      Yukumo Village (MHP3)
      Jungle Map Base Camp (MH2)
    • The drumming cats in the group hub are actually drumming the music. Also their names are Badum and Tish. Also if you use the BGM options to change the music in that area to something else, they will just chill out as there's nothing for them to do!

Has anyone else found the Informant? If you haven't, check your house...

• Options

I dunno if anyone knows, but is the Japanese version also loaded to the gills with these things?

I have almost zero knowledge of how the Japanese language works, or if something like "meowscular chef" could even work.

• Options

I dunno if anyone knows, but is the Japanese version also loaded to the gills with these things?

I have almost zero knowledge of how the Japanese language works, or if something like "meowscular chef" could even work.

They seem to be big fans of abbreviations and portmanteaus over there (pokemon is a good example) so maybe? Like maybe taking two borrowed English words, cutting them in half, and slamming them together could result in an actual Japanese word that works as a joke?

My understanding of the language, while better than most English speakers, is still extremely limited.