As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Well I really want to try IG now, dang

The fact that like, there is an actual legitimate choice between which kinsect to use is, IMO, the single greatest feature of rise. I actually sit and think before each hunt whether I want status, more stagger, or better tail severing and pick Powder, Assist, or Speed as appropriate. Also, on speedier monsters that are harder to get the right extracts from, I really like either Assist or Speed for obvious reasons, but against bigger, slower guys I tend to take Powder type because they stay in the Powder more frequently.

Trying to use a Powder Kinsect against Nargacuga was really annoying, for instance, and I should have used someone else. On the other hand, big monsters like Anjanath I loved having poison powder all over him.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kamura S and Izuchi lance has been doing work, the lance's final upgrade has a very nice amount of blue sharpness and with the armor I've got a healthy chunk of affinity, and 140 raw. It's quite efficient and super easy to make.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah, I found 3 on an intense explore of the frozen area.

Yeah shortly after posting that I found two on the same Forest trip. If they're all there all the time the people who hid them deserve raises.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Okay, Kinsects! Everyone loves them, they're giant bugs that are strapped to your arm and that obey your every command. This is what everyone dreams about, right? I know I certainly do!
    This is the quality @Arch content that I come to the PA forums for.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Also, weird edge complaint, but... removing the ability to layer any armor really feels like a big step backwards. That was such a great addition to MHW I felt and I liked being able to play style hunter that much more.

Layered armor is in the game, but for now it requires the purchase of the digital deluxe or the Magnamalo amiibo.

There are some other smaller purchases available as well.

Once that cow is milked I’m sure they’ll put more options into Rise.

Not referring to that though. I'm referring to layering any armor over other armor, not just vanity armor.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I love the Aknosom long sword, its great work horse long sword when you're starting out and then its the same thing when you get to HR. Great Birb would kill again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Also, weird edge complaint, but... removing the ability to layer any armor really feels like a big step backwards. That was such a great addition to MHW I felt and I liked being able to play style hunter that much more.

Layered armor is in the game, but for now it requires the purchase of the digital deluxe or the Magnamalo amiibo.

Not referring to that though. I'm referring to layering any armor over other armor, not just vanity armor.

That wasn't a base Monster Hunter World feature, that came about in IB.

All I'm saying is World did the paid cosmetics and IB gave the cow away for free, if we're continuing these bovine metaphors. Expect something similiar.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    well it wasn't "free" in icebourne you had to pay for icebourne

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

All I'm saying is World did the paid cosmetics and IB gave the cow away for free, if we're continuing these bovine metaphors. Expect something similiar.

Yep and I'm saying it's a big step backwards in good game mechanics. It was a bad call to change it back.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah I knocked the everloving shit out of a charging Zinogre with a rage slash last night and I think the pact is all but sealed.

My biggest bugaboos with GS was the movement after the attacks, which power sheath all but solves, and the fact you get hit 9 times out of 10 doing true charge slash, which rage slash all but solves.

• Options
    edited March 2021

Yep and I'm saying it's a big step backwards in good game mechanics. It was a bad call to change it back.

Probably. I'm certainly not happy about it, but it's a minor issue for me.

I imagine that decision wasn't in the devs hands, since it directly involves extra money. So if anything, I'd be blaming economics and Capcoms front office.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Probably.

I imagine that decision wasn't in the devs hands, since it directly involves extra money. So if anything, I'd be blaming economics and Capcoms front office.

Man that's unfair to capcom who only has ever approved fantastic things like the recent mon hun movie and uhh all the other bad decisions they've made.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Izuchi S feels like a really solid early HR set for bow. Constitution 3 + Crit Eye 4 is a nice start, will probably stick with this until I find a combo to get attack boost 4.

Rocking the Tobi Kadachi bow against pretty much everything so far, even against thunder immune monsters it has 150 raw + a good bit of affinity. Though I am finally unlocking some good bows in other elements; crafting those should help out a ton in some of the more annoying matchups.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    Izuchi S feels like a really solid early HR set for bow. Constitution 3 + Crit Eye 4 is a nice start, will probably stick with this until I find a combo to get attack boost 4.

Rocking the Tobi Kadachi bow against pretty much everything so far, even against thunder immune monsters it has 150 raw + a good bit of affinity. Though I am finally unlocking some good bows in other elements; crafting those should help out a ton in some of the more annoying matchups.

Izuchi S is the best HR starter period, it's just solid all around

• Options
    Unlocking the HR cap in late April is gonna be sweet. Also they're saying "Several features" along with the Chameleos/Apex Rathalos/other monsters.

Maybe we see layered armor in the 2.0 update?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Ok this is something they do in a lot of Monster Hunter games, you're going along and suddenly they're like "oh no! It's a new monster we've never seen before! And we've decided to name it Delectible Tyrant Marsh-Kodachi!"

Dude who just pulls a name out of their ass like that? Nobody's even ever fought it, you don't know any of its properties that might help in naming it! When people encounter something new they tend to call it "that new animal" or "unidentified species discovered 11/9" or whatever. You don't just immediately call it Seymour and suddenly everyone accepts it.

It would be kind of awesome to fight a monster without even knowing what to call it for most of the game. Name just a series of question marks.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ok this is something they do in a lot of Monster Hunter games, you're going along and suddenly they're like "oh no! It's a new monster we've never seen before! And we've decided to name it Delectible Tyrant Marsh-Kodachi!"

Dude who just pulls a name out of their ass like that? Nobody's even ever fought it, you don't know any of its properties that might help in naming it! When people encounter something new they tend to call it "that new animal" or "unidentified species discovered 11/9" or whatever. You don't just immediately call it Seymour and suddenly everyone accepts it.

It would be kind of awesome to fight a monster without even knowing what to call it for most of the game. Name just a series of question marks.

Xeno'jiiva

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Hmmm I IG'd in World and wanted to do something different for variety but now I'm reconsidering if it's so dang different.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I liked IG in World, but got tired of a lot of the kinsect extract juggling (and didn't even want to deal with the kinsect feeding stuff in Iceborne). I think I'm ready to give it another chance

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Okay, Kinsects! Everyone loves them, they're giant bugs that are strapped to your arm and that obey your every command. This is what everyone dreams about, right? I know I certainly do!
    This is the quality @Arch content that I come to the PA forums for.

I like the part in this post

The fact that like, there is an actual legitimate choice between which kinsect to use is, IMO, the single greatest feature of rise. I actually sit and think before each hunt whether I want status, more stagger, or better tail severing and pick Powder, Assist, or Speed as appropriate. Also, on speedier monsters that are harder to get the right extracts from, I really like either Assist or Speed for obvious reasons, but against bigger, slower guys I tend to take Powder type because they stay in the Powder more frequently.

Trying to use a Powder Kinsect against Nargacuga was really annoying, for instance, and I should have used someone else. On the other hand, big monsters like Anjanath I loved having poison powder all over him.

where arch implies that he's named each individual kinsect, and treats them as people.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    So, Long Sword. I'm basically just spamming the Sakura Slash or w/e it is to get into the Red Sword, and then spamming X -> X -> A -> etc over and over, right? If the monster topples sometimes I'll use the spirit slash combo, but I'm not sure if it actually does any more damage than just infinitely chaining X and A. I assume when I reach HR 3 or w/e I'll switch out roundslash for the one where I wave the sword over my head?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    I have never enjoyed the kinsect leveling. Like its hard enough deciding which weapon I want to upgrade. The kinsect stuff always felt like a bad holdover from like mag leveling in PSO.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The problem is that too many weapons are cool and I don't have the monster parts to keep all of them current! Maybe dropping SnS for IG would be the call. They're both very mobile weapons, my others being swaxe and lance.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So, Long Sword. I'm basically just spamming the Sakura Slash or w/e it is to get into the Red Sword, and then spamming X -> X -> A -> etc over and over, right? If the monster topples sometimes I'll use the spirit slash combo, but I'm not sure if it actually does any more damage than just infinitely chaining X and A. I assume when I reach HR 3 or w/e I'll switch out roundslash for the one where I wave the sword over my head?

spirit slashes do more damage then X & A, and you do more damage across the board at higher spirit gauge levels (white is 5% damage, yellow 10%, red 20%). you can always cancel out of spirit slashes into Iai stance or foresight slash or just evading (except spirit slash 3, since that's multiple hits and animation locks you), so only commit as much as you think you can get away with the monster before it reacts or moves

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    The problem is that too many weapons are cool and I don't have the monster parts to keep all of them current! Maybe dropping SnS for IG would be the call. They're both very mobile weapons, my others being swaxe and lance.

This so much. I think right now I'm in 4* village quests, and I've unlocked the second switch skill for SnS, IG, and LS already. And I'm fighting the urge to start building some HH's, or maybe some Hammers. I should probably also make a ranged weapon for Hub quests, although I'll probably just use Azurios for that.

• Options
    The final slash of the Spirit Reckoning Combo (which I think is the old Adept combo?) does almost twice as much damage, in exchange for not Sheathing your sword, a vertical hit instead of wide horizontal hit, and no dash movement. I'd say it's worth it, because it's rare to use the Spirit Combo to clear out trash. Since you don't Sheathe, you can also follow up the Spirit Reckoning combo with Zr+B to sheath stance, then either follow up with a wide Zr dash slash or X to get two more strong hits in to extend it.

You can actually just spam X now to do the normal loop. They made it easier (I think this was true in World, too?). The Spirit Slash Combo does more damage than this, though, so you should be using Zr whenever possible. When your Wirebugs are back up, you should immediately use them to do more Silkbug Sakura Slashes, since they do a lot of damage (especially if you get both hits on the monster. Once you get Drawn Double Slash, I find it better to sheathe my weapon whenever I'm dashing toward the monster to get that initial drawn double hit (which does great damage and has armor frames). Fortunately, holding down R already sheathes it automatically.

When doing the X spam combo, you should throw in some Left Stick + X + A fade slashes to reposition yourself to a better location if you aren't getting those delicious orange numbers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The final slash of the Spirit Reckoning Combo (which I think is the old Adept combo?) does almost twice as much damage, in exchange for not Sheathing your sword, a vertical hit instead of wide horizontal hit, and no dash movement. I'd say it's worth it, because it's rare to use the Spirit Combo to clear out trash. Since you don't Sheathe, you can also follow up the Spirit Reckoning combo with Zr+B to sheath stance, then either follow up with a wide Zr dash slash or X to get two more strong hits in to extend it.

You can actually just spam X now to do the normal loop. They made it easier (I think this was true in World, too?). The Spirit Slash Combo does more damage than this, though, so you should be using Zr whenever possible. When your Wirebugs are back up, you should immediately use them to do more Silkbug Sakura Slashes, since they do a lot of damage (especially if you get both hits on the monster. Once you get Drawn Double Slash, I find it better to sheathe my weapon whenever I'm dashing toward the monster to get that initial drawn double hit (which does great damage and has armor frames). Fortunately, holding down R already sheathes it automatically.

When doing the X spam combo, you should throw in some Left Stick + X + A fade slashes to reposition yourself to a better location if you aren't getting those delicious orange numbers.

Once I get quick sheath, what are the motion values on Iai Slash or the Iai Counter (does it get bonus damage if it counters) vs just spamming X faster? I guess I can probably just grab a LS and go check in the training room, huh.

• Options
    I just discovered (for myself; IIRC this was also a World thing) that there are some endemic life that you only "collect" by taking their picture. Found the one in Shrine Ruins, assuming one/map; the Notes tell me there's five, after all.

• Options
    There's also time-sensitive rare endemic life.

I want to say as an example, one appears in the ziggurat altar at 5 a.m. only

• Options

where arch implies that he's named each individual kinsect, and treats them as people.

You guys aren't naming your kinsects and thinking about what their favorite flavor of ice cream would be???

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I also can almost 100% bet that sometime in the next day or two, Arrekz will have a guide to the changes for Insect Glaive in Rise that not only A. goes over my changes and descriptions but also B. points out things I missed.

This happened to Bows when I switched from being an Insect Glaive main to Bow main in MHW, if you guys recall I did a huge effort post going over bow changes and combo damage numbers etc....only for Arrekz to drop a more comprehensive video guide like a week later.

So what I'm saying is stay tuned for the inevitable Arrkez in-depth insect glaive guide!

Arch on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

I've been using the ore 2 bow since I crafted it last night. I also crafted the kadachi bow, but isn't quite upgraded all the way. I'm working on the bnahabra bow (the dragon form) and the ice bow. I think for water mizutsune is the way to go but I'll have to farm a bunch of fins for that.

• Options
    I also can almost 100% bet that sometime in the next day or two, Arrekz will have a guide to the changes for Insect Glaive in Rise that not only A. goes over my changes and descriptions but also B. points out things I missed.

This happened to Bows when I switched from being an Insect Glaive main to Bow main in MHW, if you guys recall I did a huge effort post going over bow changes and combo damage numbers etc....only for Arrekz to drop a more comprehensive video guide like a week later.

So what I'm saying is stay tuned for the inevitable Arrkez in-depth insect glaive guide!

Eh, I still like having the written version that I can look back and just find the little bit I was trying to remember instead of trying to scrub through a video.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mizu seems to be the way to go for water weapons so far yeah, Ludroth caps out low, sumo frog has bad sharpness.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Eh, I still like having the written version that I can look back and just find the little bit I was trying to remember instead of trying to scrub through a video.
    I hate that video has become the predominant method of distributing video game information. I mean, I get it... a lot of folks like watching videos, and some information is easier to express that way (like "here's this hidden passageway you may have overlooked!"). But when the information is really difficult to find in text, it drives me up the wall. I can digest a lot more information a lot faster by reading it! Scrubbing through a video is a chore, as is the constant shilling and "like/subscribe/ring that bell" self promotion.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Arrekz has already started dropping Rise weapon guides and I think the HH was the first.

Normally I hate the video methods but the way he lays it out lets me kind of go along with what he's saying in-game. I'd still like a text version but some of the mechanics in MH are funky and seeing how it looks on-screen can help with how you actually use them.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Man, after buying the power/defense charms I am sooo broke. This is the part of the game I hate, slowly grinding back to my scrooge mcduck levels of zenny from World. :(

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Mizu seems to be the way to go for water weapons so far yeah, Ludroth caps out low, sumo frog has bad sharpness.

Almudron has water weapons too.

• Options

Arrekz has already started dropping Rise weapon guides and I think the HH was the first.

Normally I hate the video methods but the way he lays it out lets me kind of go along with what he's saying in-game. I'd still like a text version but some of the mechanics in MH are funky and seeing how it looks on-screen can help with how you actually use them.

Yeah I like both, written guides for things you want to remember, video guides to see things like weapon combos/dodges in action.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I like both, written guides for things you want to remember, video guides to see things like weapon combos/dodges in action.

Best is when they put the notes/script in the description, or link to a google drive or external website.