As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Another fun one. Looking at other jobs as you do, and this place wants a Bachelors in Purchasing/Supply chain (which I can guarantee the job doesn't need, especially with work experience) or a Masters preferred. Wage is $14-$20 an hour. FUUUUUUUUCK that.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Another fun one. Looking at other jobs as you do, and this place wants a Bachelors in Purchasing/Supply chain (which I can guarantee the job doesn't need, especially with work experience) or a Masters preferred. Wage is $14-$20 an hour. FUUUUUUUUCK that.

$14/hour for a Masters degree?

Those people need to be suspended from fish hooks inserted into their eyeballs until they learn from their mistakes.

• Options

$14/hour for a Masters degree?

Those people need to be suspended from fish hooks inserted into their eyeballs until they learn from their mistakes.

I'm assuming if you had the Masters you might get the $20 end of the range...which is about 40k a year, or the amount a Fast food manager makes around here which I would argue is the much more stressful job, but ostensibly doesn't require a masters degree.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thanks @Tef for the stretches, will try to remember them next week.

Might have worked out what caused this issue. Hard to describe but basically spent a long time yesterday spinning a large roll of plastic wrap on my fingers, and the weight of it was exactly where things are swollen today. Hopefully that's it because that will be easy to avoid in future.

New shoes are a success at least, my feet feel very grateful today.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    $14/hr? I can make 8 hours worth of that pay in 2 hours of doordash.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Kind of grossed out by culture fit phrasing because that's how shitty people weed out women and poc from the workplace.

As soon as someone says that I'm immediately on guard.

For me, that's code for "are you an asshole? Can you work with other people?" As that's a huge problem in tech. I have also used it to break ties in terms of what the team needs, as building a strong team means building a diversity of perspectives and work styles. Monocultures are terribly fragile.
    Others can use it for that, but if they consistently are, they'll run afoul of any number of hiring rules as race and gender are both protected.

Yeah for this company it definitely seemed like a "are you an asshole?" sort of culture fit thing. "Can you work well with other people? Do you know how to deal with customers without yelling at them?" etc.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Was in a meeting today and one of our vendors was complaining they couldn't hire new folks (welders) as either A: they honestly answered they smoked weed, or B: they'd rather stay on unemployment + the covid benefits. I raised the point that maybe they should pay more then. There was much hemming and hawing at that statement.

More like heaven forbid we acknowledge supply and demand. It's the same in every industry that always has strong demand. No one ever considers they aren't paying enough so they stay short handed and the people who aren't being paid enough end up with extra work to pick up the slack.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Was in a meeting today and one of our vendors was complaining they couldn't hire new folks (welders) as either A: they honestly answered they smoked weed, or B: they'd rather stay on unemployment + the covid benefits. I raised the point that maybe they should pay more then. There was much hemming and hawing at that statement.

heaven forbid someone do something we personally disagree with on their personal time too

Don't forget that weed is still banned at the federal level. If you have a job that involves the feds, or contracting to the feds, or hopes to contract to the feds, or any number of iterations, the company has to screen for things like weed as a matter of regulation.

chromdom on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

heaven forbid someone do something we personally disagree with on their personal time too

Don't forget that weed is still banned at the federal level. If you have a job that involves the feds, or contracting to the feds, or hopes to contract to the feds, or any number of iterations, the company has to screen for things like weed as a matter of regulation.

Insurance companies. My employer only drug tests if the new hires are going to be driving a company vehicle. The insurance company says they won't provide coverage without testing.

Huh...
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Can someone link me the intern article? Cause that CEO chart has got me seething and why not pile more rage on ya know ?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204642604577215013504567548

Thanks!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

All of the best welders I worked with in commercial construction were stoned 24/7.

• Options

All of the best welders I worked with in commercial construction were stoned 24/7.

Yea my work stopped screening for weed for employment like 6 months after it became legal. They treat it like alcohol.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I wonder if there's actually some cause/effect there. Like how programmers tend to be more productive after one beer (or, in my case, one night of inadequate sleep), because that level of mild intoxication shuts off distracting surface thoughts.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

I wonder if there's actually some cause/effect there. Like how programmers tend to be more productive after one beer (or, in my case, one night of inadequate sleep), because that level of mild intoxication shuts off distracting surface thoughts.

For programmers it could well be the same thing as how that one dude you smoked with never had just a fucking bowl because duuuude he'd figured out he could turn his X into a bong!

It's me, I'm bitches

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I remember one summer a contractor I saw redoing the house across the street had a converted tool box that contained both his tools and was a beer cooler
    It looked like a normal tool chest in the back of his truck. I was both impressed and curious how it worked

• Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Spent this morning processing about 7,000 PS5s for delivery. So if you live in the UK and your PS5 pre-order ends up delayed because it went to the wrong part of the country, sorry, there's a 5% chance that was my fault.

1ak3o8tsdwvb.jpg

That's the third party stuff
    You have to watch who you are buying stuff from online!

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sigh we have to take a covid test now every two weeks

It's even more worse than I feared
    I am basically putting my safety and life in the hands of idiots

I had to do yesterday's freight with last nights! and I had help! but why do you ride my case about switching out a endcap saying let the manager do it when they do nothing in the first place?

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Spent this morning processing about 7,000 PS5s for delivery. So if you live in the UK and your PS5 pre-order ends up delayed because it went to the wrong part of the country, sorry, there's a 5% chance that was my fault.

1ak3o8tsdwvb.jpg

I feel like Amazon is probably making enough money that they need to be cracking the fuck down on their third parties.

• Options

I had to do yesterday's freight with last nights! and I had help! but why do you ride my case about switching out a endcap saying let the manager do it when they do nothing in the first place?

Maybe they want the manager to fail so they can build a case to fire them? I imagine your work ethic is letting a lot of people coast by when they otherwise wouldn't.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Damn, dude. You deserve a lemonade and a promotion to Head Manager, stat

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

1ak3o8tsdwvb.jpg

I feel like Amazon is probably making enough money that they need to be cracking the fuck down on their third parties.

They actively work against this. If two or more companies sell the same product, they put all of the items in the same warehouse location. And if a company sells one of the items, they randomly choose which one to pull. So you don't know which third party is providing lemons, because a company could be stocking good items, but the warehouse picker fulfills their order with another company's lemon or vice versa. Usually companies don't stock just lemons, making it harder to figure out. But Amazon doesn't segregate items they get based on the company supplying it if they store in their warehouse.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    That's fulfilled by Amazon
    I am talking about the 3rd party on it. The ones selling odd items out of country items and so on

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah, not everything comes from the Amazon warehouse. A company can sell through the Amazon marketplace but they handle the shipping and order fulfillment from their own location.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    After reading an article, I do wonder how frequent "culture fit" in tech firms in the bay area is coded statements for not wanting to hire people from different castes. Apparently that's becoming a problem.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    After reading an article, I do wonder how frequent "culture fit" in tech firms in the bay area is coded statements for not wanting to hire people from different castes. Apparently that's becoming a problem.

It would be very Indian to be classist as fuck about hiring. I never gave it much thought, but geez yeah. These upper-caste folks will be the same in the Bay Area as they would be in India. They may have abolished the caste-system on the government level and talk a big deal about being a country where you can grow from rags to riches, but the lived reality is different.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

It would be very Indian to be classist as fuck about hiring. I never gave it much thought, but geez yeah. These upper-caste folks will be the same in the Bay Area as they would be in India. They may have abolished the caste-system on the government level and talk a big deal about being a country where you can grow from rags to riches, but the lived reality is different.

Which is why they fit right in in the US!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I put a gel cold pack on my hand and now I have an uncomfortably cold hand. Tef I demand an explanation for this betrayal.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I put a gel cold pack on my hand and now I have an uncomfortably cold hand. Tef I demand an explanation for this betrayal.
    Aha my trap is complete! How long did you put the cold pack on for? Should be 20 minutes on, 30 minutes off (or something like that)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Smof have you frozen your hand in the freezer again come now

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Kind of grossed out by culture fit phrasing because that's how shitty people weed out women and poc from the workplace.

As soon as someone says that I'm immediately on guard.

Our 'culture' interviews are about specific mindsets and approaches to problem solving, not just a shoot-the-shit session. Questions like "Tell me about a time your project goals changed suddenly" and "tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss about a course of action" are all culture-fit topics. We're looking for things like adaptability, accountability, ownership of problems, etc.

I work QA, it's my job to ask if we simply wish to change our project goals instead of admitting we failed to hit our project goals. I don't precisely care about our course of action, I'll simply state where each path leads, everyone else can make the decisions on where we go, I am not too worried which path we take so long as I get paid. Just don't do things bold faced wrong or im never going to okay it.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    We have one main culture fit question that everyone gets asked, because it's a pretty important one. "How would you respond if you were asked to shelve/check out/help someone find materials that are in strong opposition to your personal beliefs?"

Most people get it right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't!

... The answer is you do it, right? Like I had to read that a couple times to see if there was a gotcha... and I'm fearing I'd fail at that.

Nope, you got it in one. You help them find books on Satanism or quack medicine or ancient aliens or the sovereign citizen movement or whatever, because that's the whole thing with libraries. I don't weed all the homeopathy books and trust that other librarians who go to shitty churches aren't weeding all the LGBT books.

But wouldn't you learn more from a homeopathy pamphlet than a book?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    We have one main culture fit question that everyone gets asked, because it's a pretty important one. "How would you respond if you were asked to shelve/check out/help someone find materials that are in strong opposition to your personal beliefs?"

Most people get it right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't!

... The answer is you do it, right? Like I had to read that a couple times to see if there was a gotcha... and I'm fearing I'd fail at that.

Nope, you got it in one. You help them find books on Satanism or quack medicine or ancient aliens or the sovereign citizen movement or whatever, because that's the whole thing with libraries. I don't weed all the homeopathy books and trust that other librarians who go to shitty churches aren't weeding all the LGBT books.

Were I to reorganize the institutions that make up our society, I would establish Courts of State Opinion who would deliberate and opine on matters of human health and happiness, with the caveat that these opinions represent "the best of human knowledge to date" and that everyone is permitted to submit arguments on these matters. The point of these courts would be to organize the public discourse in such a way that we can make tangible intellectual progress as a society instead of repeating the same arguments every generation. Also we get to ban put stickers on books, stickers which reference the deliberations that demonstrate the lacunae of the book on which the sticker is put.

So to answer your question, I would serve the patron the books they want if they opposed my personal beliefs, but only if there's a sticker on the cover that says "this book is full of BS, be careful".

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Which is why they fit right in in the US!

An excellent cultural fit, one might say

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

More like heaven forbid we acknowledge supply and demand. It's the same in every industry that always has strong demand. No one ever considers they aren't paying enough so they stay short handed and the people who aren't being paid enough end up with extra work to pick up the slack.

My wife has a part time job doing elderly care, and they just can't keep people, or find good people, and often have lots of their clients go without care. And it's like this is another perfect example of that. Just pay them more than the $13/hr. Make it $18. Or $20. Or more than that. If you want people, and you're not finding enough of them, clearly they can do less and get the same pay or more to not work for you.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Elaro wrote: »

Were I to reorganize the institutions that make up our society, I would establish Courts of State Opinion who would deliberate and opine on matters of human health and happiness, with the caveat that these opinions represent "the best of human knowledge to date" and that everyone is permitted to submit arguments on these matters. The point of these courts would be to organize the public discourse in such a way that we can make tangible intellectual progress as a society instead of repeating the same arguments every generation. Also we get to ban put stickers on books, stickers which reference the deliberations that demonstrate the lacunae of the book on which the sticker is put.

So to answer your question, I would serve the patron the books they want if they opposed my personal beliefs, but only if there's a sticker on the cover that says "this book is full of BS, be careful".

This is a good idea right up until fascists gain power and it becomes a doubleplus ungood idea.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Stickers in/on library books don't have a good history anyway.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »

This is a good idea right up until fascists gain power and it becomes a doubleplus ungood idea.

To be fair, everything is a doubleplus ungood idea in the hands of fascists.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

My wife has a part time job doing elderly care, and they just can't keep people, or find good people, and often have lots of their clients go without care. And it's like this is another perfect example of that. Just pay them more than the $13/hr. Make it $18. Or $20. Or more than that. If you want people, and you're not finding enough of them, clearly they can do less and get the same pay or more to not work for you.

Eldercare is one of those things that capitalism can't do well because the people who need it can't afford it, so there's no profit incentive to do it right.

Kind of like childcare, where parents can't afford to pay more, companies can't afford to charge less, and workers can't make rent.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Eldercare is one of those things that capitalism can't do well because the people who need it can't afford it, so there's no profit incentive to do it right.

Kind of like childcare, where parents can't afford to pay more, companies can't afford to charge less, and workers can't make rent.

In this case, her company is extraneous. Mostly people who can afford it want people who can provide some supervision and companionship. She and no one in her company can administer drugs, for instance. Their clients are usually fairly well off.
    And they do things like "for every 4 hours you work, you get an entry into a drawing for $200 at the company store!" or "you can get an extra company uniform shirt (which you ordinarily must pay for yourself, plus you must provide your own scrub pants, which you can also buy for a hefty markup on the company store!)"
    I bet if they had drawing for cold, hard cash, they'd get more people. They are constantly hiring, because they have many clients and they can't fill out the entire schedule.

So I guess that's where I'm coming from.

Is it better to have more people covering more shifts, bring in more money, but you have to pay them a bit more;
    or is it better to have less people covering less shifts, not bringing in as much money, but you have to pay them less?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Aha my trap is complete! How long did you put the cold pack on for? Should be 20 minutes on, 30 minutes off (or something like that)

He’s a cube of ice now!

This discussion has been closed.