Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Finally wrote up my business case for why I need a 16GB RAM laptop for my work station.

In my usual way, it is a massive wall of text starting with a summary and then specific examples of how 8GB of RAM isn't enough... especially considering the university standard workstations going forward won't have expandable RAM.

You could've just done it in a single line - "Chrome. Am I right?"

After a fresh boot I've got one Docker container running 8 images, PHPStorm and a few chrome tabs. 14.8/16gb in use. 2gb of that is Chrome.

I can't imagine what this would be like on anything less

That was in my argument.

It's made even worse here, by 2 mandatory apps:

Cherwell, which is a treubechet app that is our ticketing system
    Teams, which is literally a web page or something wrapped in a larger skin.

Both of them like taking up a half a gig just by themselves.

Here's what I wrote:
    Business Case: 16GB RAM (minimum) Daily Driver Workstation or Laptop

I would like to make a business case for a 16GB RAM Minimum workstation or laptop:
    - 8GB is not supporting my current daily and specialty software needs properly.
    - The slowdowns caused by having only 8GB of RAM eat away at my day in subtle ways.
    - 8GB of RAM is not future proofed against Windows updates or further system bloat that comes from our primary applications.
    - The current model of laptop does not feature RAM expansion options, locking in 8GB for the foreseeable future.
    - By moving to 16GB, all of the above issues would be resolved and overall productivity will increase, both today and in the future.

As an Application Administrator at [...] University, my daily needs for a workstation are far above that of the average [University] employee. In a typical day, I will have open the following suite of tools:
    - Email (Outlook)
    - Tickets (Cherwell)
    - Instant communications (Teams)
    - Softphone (Jabber)
    - Personal notes (OneNote, Notepad++)
    - Documentation (Office Suite, other tools)
    - Multiple Internet Browser tabs (Firefox, Chrome, Edge)
    - Remote Desktop Connections to multiple Windows servers
    - SSH connections to multiple Linux servers

For more intense days or at specific times, I may also have specialty software open or running
    - Development IDEs (VS Code, Colleague Studio, IntelliJ and Datagrip)
    - Application-specific local programs (Perceptive Content, Solarwinds WPM Recorder)
    - Diagnostic tools (Wireshark, Process Analyzer)
    - Adobe software (Reader, Photoshop, Illustrator in rare cases)
    - Virtual Machines or docker containers (for local development and testing)

In the last 5 years with my current laptop, I have seen the resource footprints of many of these programs expand. This is before the base system resources, like Windows 10 and Malwarebytes antimalware, are taken into account.

When looking at my system's resources at this very moment, I see that the largest memory usage comes from 3 programs:
    - Firefox (1GB)
    - Cherwell (512MB)
    - Teams (512MB)

This means that before any other applications are considered, these three programs use 2GB of RAM out of the available standard 8GB. At any given time, my PC will run with its memory and CPU tracked at about 90-95% utilization once all software that is running has been taken into account. To make matters worse, the current standard for 8GB RAM models that [University] is providing do not have expandable memory slots. Therefore, I would be locked to 8GB until at least the next hardware refresh cycle.

The impact to my daily operations is not readily apparent, but it does add up over time: Programs such as Cherwell can take 10+ seconds to move from screen to screen. Opening new browser windows typically takes a couple seconds to register. Moving between windows in Teams can easily take up to 15-30 seconds. Over the course of a day, this adds up to minutes of lost productivity. It also makes me less interested in using this software, which is a detriment to proper documentation and logging of my daily workload.

Our new standard laptop offering is the Lenovo t490s with 8GB RAM and non-expandable. Which suuuuuucks.I mean, I'm sure the laptop is fine - I've been rocking a pretty nice Yoga X1 Carbon for the last 5 years, but I'm not expecting that with a standardized budget laptop vs. a pilot program laptop.

But man... just... pony up for the extra RAM, please bosses?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    16 gb minimum for that absolutely.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oh yea, if you are running chrome and teams then you aint running anything else either. I'm on an 8gb surface with 2gb of that shared with the GPU. If I'm running teams and chrome and try to launch something like a DWG viewer or other intensive piece of software I get weird crashes and instability. It fucking sucks. Everything ran fine before teams.

They are pushing for teams for everything and I just have a sour taste in my mouth about it now.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Can someone link me the intern article? Cause that CEO chart has got me seething and why not pile more rage on ya know ?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    rant for today: sick of bleeding heart liberals that ask for money for a thing that is Good but won't provide data or info I need to understand how Good thing will work and get done appropriately and then complain that I won't give them money for Good thing because I don't like Good things

end rant

I dislike the concept "bleeding heart liberals", because I've been asked to donate money by other people as well. I mean, the US is a lot more divided than my neck of the woods, but for every capital H hippie I get here asking to donate to send T-shirts to refugee camps in Greece I get a right-wing animal lover asking to donate to save donkeys in Greece.

(Main takeaway: Greece is shitshow)

I have worked for an NGO and their biggest challenge was always to ask one simple question: where does the money go? There's this believe that "we are good, so just trust us" and that's hard to fight against even when you're hired to help them with realizing how daft that idea is.

I should clarify that i'm a budget analyst for a local government and the bleeding heart liberals asking for money are the people working in another department that didn't get approval during the budget process and are asking for it again a month later despite us saying no because they wouldn't give us the data

and i use bleeding heart liberals derogatively because they only argue on the merits with us when that's now how resource allocation works

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    Can someone link me the intern article? Cause that CEO chart has got me seething and why not pile more rage on ya know ?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204642604577215013504567548

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    ...and here I was happy that I've successfully avoided reading the US election threads for almost a week now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    that "lunches" thing gets even more infuriating if you read the article

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I was rejected for the job. Goddamnit, I really wanted that one. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    ...and here I was happy that I've successfully avoided reading the US election threads for almost a week now.

if this is about my post i apologize but my entire job is politics :rotate:

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

if this is about my post i apologize but my entire job is politics :rotate:

Nah, it was Liiya's desire for more ANGER. And of course I'm just teasing because I'm just as curious about that article for the same reasons.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I was rejected for the job. Goddamnit, I really wanted that one. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Dammit. So sorry Cambiata.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

that sucks mate

I am sorry to hear it

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I've also bee diving into Splunk a lot lately. Splunking you might say.

ban this sick filth

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Now here's a question, I was told that most recent interview was for "culture fit", but the rejection email said I didn't have the right experience for the role. Now I'm actually with them on the experience thing, I was told in the technical interview that this was a senior TAM role, and I've never done TAM before, so I'd be better off in a junior TAM role. Given that, I just applied with them for a junior role.

BUT, what if the "your experience" email wasn't accurate, and the real problem was that the manager thought I wasn't a good culture fit?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I wouldn't read too much into it if you agree with them that your experience doesn't match the requirements. Hiring's weird, and it's likely they were doing the fit interviews with you and 1 or 2 other candidates with better experience matches in case those people turned out to be sociopaths, in which case you would have had enough experience that they could justify extending you an offer.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I posted that as I arrived at work so ice wasn't really an option.

Also, did they give us exercises in our orientation, lol. Orientation was being told what PPE we need to wear and shown how to operate a pump truck.

Haha this lazy fuckers! I thought that would be the case so prepped a couple of things before bed last night

Let me know if it’s unreadable from your end.

These sorts of issues, because they are inflammation related, if you leave them they will just get worse and worse. You need to get on to it quickly to avoid having to miss a bunch of work

bcuqn3awut4h.jpeg
    5jl2e34vrw52.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Kind of grossed out by culture fit phrasing because that's how shitty people weed out women and poc from the workplace.

As soon as someone says that I'm immediately on guard.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I am the facility monitor for a small Parks & Recreation department and since June I have been covering our Sunday morning shift when we have had a small church group come in (they've been renting out that time for the past 18 months).

Sunday of this week the governor of Washington state enacted our second state-wide Lockdown.

One of the provisions of it is such:
    -- Religious services can continue, but must limit indoor attendance to 25% of capacity, or 200 people, whatever is less, Inslee said. Masks must be worn at all times and choirs, bands and congregational singing will be prohibited.

So, when I read that I called my supervisor on Monday to ask how that rule would impact our church group (because they use musical instruments in their service).

Well, I got my answer! The church group has decided to cancel service for the rest of the year!

Wooo! I lost out on my meager 4 consistent hours of work every week!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Kind of grossed out by culture fit phrasing because that's how shitty people weed out women and poc from the workplace.

For me, that's code for "are you an asshole? Can you work with other people?" As that's a huge problem in tech. I have also used it to break ties in terms of what the team needs, as building a strong team means building a diversity of perspectives and work styles. Monocultures are terribly fragile.
    Others can use it for that, but if they consistently are, they'll run afoul of any number of hiring rules as race and gender are both protected.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Our 'culture' interviews are about specific mindsets and approaches to problem solving, not just a shoot-the-shit session. Questions like "Tell me about a time your project goals changed suddenly" and "tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss about a course of action" are all culture-fit topics. We're looking for things like adaptability, accountability, ownership of problems, etc.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

For me, that's code for "are you an asshole? Can you work with other people?" As that's a huge problem in tech. I have also used it to break ties in terms of what the team needs, as building a strong team means building a diversity of perspectives and work styles. Monocultures are terribly fragile.
    Others can use it for that, but if they consistently are, they'll run afoul of any number of hiring rules as race and gender are both protected.
    tynic wrote: »

Our 'culture' interviews are about specific mindsets and approaches to problem solving, not just a shoot-the-shit session. Questions like "Tell me about a time your project goals changed suddenly" and "tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss about a course of action" are all culture-fit topics. We're looking for things like adaptability, accountability, ownership of problems, etc.

Yeah I've seen all of these, but it still puts me on edge because I have seen the worst as well as the best uses of it.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

I almost had to reject a candidate for "culture fit" once, as I had no other reasons to reject them. They were a wonderful candidate, even a bit overqualified. But I knew that the candidate would hate the job. They were looking for something better, with growth opportunities, more structure, etc. I couldn't, in good conscience, hire them into a position I knew they'd end up either leaving immediately, or staying and being miserable.

Fortunately(?), after the interview my boss decided to reject the candidate themself. The reasoning being that (in my bosses estimation) the candidate kept cutting them off. In reality the candidate didn't immediately recognize that if/when my boss interrupts you, you're expected to stop talking and not finish whatever it is you're saying, you're done talking now.

Also, the above is why I hate interviewing people with my boss, but I have no choice in the matter. :(

Huh...
  • Options
    Yeah I've seen all of these, but it still puts me on edge because I have seen the worst as well as the best uses of it.

Sure, and it's deffo a thing you have to watch out for, especially in silicon valley. But even as a candidate you can usually tell what kind of culture is being assessed for.

Like, you can't stop companies being assholes if that's who they want to be. The existence of a 'culture fit' criterion, to me, doesn't innately signal asshole.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    For culture, I just want to know if I want to work with this person for 40 hours a week.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Sure, and it's deffo a thing you have to watch out for, especially in silicon valley. But even as a candidate you can usually tell what kind of culture is being assessed for.

Like, you can't stop companies being assholes if that's who they want to be. The existence of a 'culture fit' criterion, to me, doesn't innately signal asshole.

The place I just started working at, for example, has a pretty clear workplace culture and they recruit people who will fit that. If you are not particularly suited towards working in a very collaborative, friendly, open and supportive social enterprise that puts welfare first then you won't really work out and that's a fair position.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof actually you can ice it up to like 48 hours after and still get an effect, plus you guaranteed to inflame it further at work today so you’ll want to ice it again anyway :biggrin:

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We have one main culture fit question that everyone gets asked, because it's a pretty important one. "How would you respond if you were asked to shelve/check out/help someone find materials that are in strong opposition to your personal beliefs?"

Most people get it right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    "Brovid Hasselsmof" actually you can ice it up to like 48 hours after and still get an effect, plus you guaranteed to inflame it further at work today so you’ll want to ice it again anyway :biggrin:

We had these at my PT clinic and they were incredible.

41SXWqT9PgL.jpg

They're nice and soft, comfortable, and good for about 15 minutes of cooling after an hour in the freezer.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We have one main culture fit question that everyone gets asked, because it's a pretty important one. "How would you respond if you were asked to shelve/check out/help someone find materials that are in strong opposition to your personal beliefs?"

Most people get it right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't!

... The answer is you do it, right? Like I had to read that a couple times to see if there was a gotcha... and I'm fearing I'd fail at that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Funny story about cultural fit: one of our department has nearly only women and the few men there are nearing retirement. So management tried to write a job opening that would sound extra appealing to men.

They sprinkled the whole thing with references to football.

Guess the gender of the two people they hired?

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Funny story about cultural fit: one of our department has nearly only women and the few men there are nearing retirement. So management tried to write a job opening that would sound extra appealing to men.

They sprinkled the whole thing with references to football.

Guess the gender of the two people they hired?

that's incredible

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I have $11,987 leftover from a voter-passed bond a few years ago that has to be spent or lost by (end of) December. It can only be used for certain things. I'd been holding onto it because well *gestures at everything* never know what was going to come up in the past couple of months. With no more time for dire emergencies to pop up, I made a decision and sweet-talked my sales rep into cutting me a nice deal to make some stuff fit and today I spent $11,984.

I have wracked my brain and gone through the requirements with a fine-tooth comb. There's nothing I can spend $3 on that meets the bond requirements.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    edited November 2020

... The answer is you do it, right? Like I had to read that a couple times to see if there was a gotcha... and I'm fearing I'd fail at that.

Yeah. There are a lot of people who will refuse to prescribe medication because of their personal beliefs, for instance.

Like hormonal birth controls for people who suffer from things like pcos or chronic menorrhagia. There's a catholic hospital like this around here and most people have to sneak their BCP in if they have legitimate medical conditions for being on it. Edit: or just, you know, personal reasons, but still they will attempt to stop you.

bowen on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Yeah. There are a lot of people who will refuse to prescribe medication because of their personal beliefs, for instance.

Like hormonal birth controls for people who suffer from things like pcos or chronic menorrhagia. There's a catholic hospital like this around here and most people have to sneak their BCP in if they have legitimate medical conditions for being on it. Edit: or just, you know, personal reasons, but still they will attempt to stop you.

Those people and organizations are wankers of the worst sort.

I will not be taking questions or rebuttals. Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Nope, you got it in one. You help them find books on Satanism or quack medicine or ancient aliens or the sovereign citizen movement or whatever, because that's the whole thing with libraries. I don't weed all the homeopathy books and trust that other librarians who go to shitty churches aren't weeding all the LGBT books.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    It sucks because they have some of the best funding and are one of the better hospitals to end up at for their quality of care. Sucks sneaking prescribed medication into a fucking hospital.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Was in a meeting today and one of our vendors was complaining they couldn't hire new folks (welders) as either A: they honestly answered they smoked weed, or B: they'd rather stay on unemployment + the covid benefits. I raised the point that maybe they should pay more then. There was much hemming and hawing at that statement.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Was in a meeting today and one of our vendors was complaining they couldn't hire new folks (welders) as either A: they honestly answered they smoked weed, or B: they'd rather stay on unemployment + the covid benefits. I raised the point that maybe they should pay more then. There was much hemming and hawing at that statement.

heaven forbid someone do something we personally disagree with on their personal time too

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I have $11,987 leftover from a voter-passed bond a few years ago that has to be spent or lost by (end of) December. It can only be used for certain things. I'd been holding onto it because well *gestures at everything* never know what was going to come up in the past couple of months. With no more time for dire emergencies to pop up, I made a decision and sweet-talked my sales rep into cutting me a nice deal to make some stuff fit and today I spent $11,984.

I have wracked my brain and gone through the requirements with a fine-tooth comb. There's nothing I can spend $3 on that meets the bond requirements.

For just $3, you can buy me a pop from the local gas station just up the street. I'm sure that's literally in the rules and bi-laws too....

This discussion has been closed.