As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I was asked to sub for the technology teacher at the local middle school.

Four Tuesdays in a row, all half-days. Every class is engineering.

And this is the first time I have been in the newly designed middle school and... wowza.

It isn't really fair to call it a middle school anymore.

This is a brand new community college building that has been dedicated to middle school education.

I am going through the back log but I am guessing there is a washington federal next door?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    I put a gel cold pack on my hand and now I have an uncomfortably cold hand. Tef I demand an explanation for this betrayal.
    Aha my trap is complete! How long did you put the cold pack on for? Should be 20 minutes on, 30 minutes off (or something like that)

He’s a cube of ice now!

g6sp9ud7dym1.jpg

Help... me...

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Well guess I'm not working today. Car won't start and I am not riding in a taxi during covid.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

And this is the first time I have been in the newly designed middle school and... wowza.

This is a brand new community college building that has been dedicated to middle school education.

I am going through the back log but I am guessing there is a washington federal next door?

There is not, no.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Was in a meeting today and one of our vendors was complaining they couldn't hire new folks (welders) as either A: they honestly answered they smoked weed, or B: they'd rather stay on unemployment + the covid benefits. I raised the point that maybe they should pay more then. There was much hemming and hawing at that statement.

More like heaven forbid we acknowledge supply and demand. It's the same in every industry that always has strong demand. No one ever considers they aren't paying enough so they stay short handed and the people who aren't being paid enough end up with extra work to pick up the slack.

My wife has a part time job doing elderly care, and they just can't keep people, or find good people, and often have lots of their clients go without care. And it's like this is another perfect example of that. Just pay them more than the $13/hr. Make it $18. Or $20. Or more than that. If you want people, and you're not finding enough of them, clearly they can do less and get the same pay or more to not work for you.

nonononono!

nonononono!

Free Market applies to the proles. Not from them.

No!

Bad L Ron!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We have one main culture fit question that everyone gets asked, because it's a pretty important one. "How would you respond if you were asked to shelve/check out/help someone find materials that are in strong opposition to your personal beliefs?"

Most people get it right, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't!

... The answer is you do it, right? Like I had to read that a couple times to see if there was a gotcha... and I'm fearing I'd fail at that.

Nope, you got it in one. You help them find books on Satanism or quack medicine or ancient aliens or the sovereign citizen movement or whatever, because that's the whole thing with libraries. I don't weed all the homeopathy books and trust that other librarians who go to shitty churches aren't weeding all the LGBT books.

Were I to reorganize the institutions that make up our society, I would establish Courts of State Opinion who would deliberate and opine on matters of human health and happiness, with the caveat that these opinions represent "the best of human knowledge to date" and that everyone is permitted to submit arguments on these matters. The point of these courts would be to organize the public discourse in such a way that we can make tangible intellectual progress as a society instead of repeating the same arguments every generation. Also we get to ban put stickers on books, stickers which reference the deliberations that demonstrate the lacunae of the book on which the sticker is put.

So to answer your question, I would serve the patron the books they want if they opposed my personal beliefs, but only if there's a sticker on the cover that says "this book is full of BS, be careful".

This is a good idea right up until fascists gain power and it becomes a doubleplus ungood idea.

Thankfully, Fascists won't interdict good ideas and enforce bad ones if there's no pre-existing structure for them to use.

They're kinda cool like that.

• Options

There is not, no.

Ah, must be another complex you could land a presidential aerial motorcade in.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

There is not, no.

Ah, must be another complex you could land a presidential aerial motorcade in.

It isn't located in a major city...

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My kids’ school district has rapidly expanded over the past twenty years; it’s also seen an influx of new houses that are slightly more expensive than the surrounding areas (newer build and therefore more spacious) and so attract higher income people; I think the average household income difference between the district and the neighboring city is something like $20k; pretty big. As a result the schools are new, fancy and I just received an email that every student has to get a new iPad, despite Niko’s only being a few months old. I’m in the same county as Zonugal so maybe the same has happened with that school district too?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Meanwhile my school functionally should have been called "(region) middle school and mobile home lot"

My last year actual buildings with foundations accounted for somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the classroom seating at the school

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Janson wrote: »
    My kids’ school district has rapidly expanded over the past twenty years; it’s also seen an influx of new houses that are slightly more expensive than the surrounding areas (newer build and therefore more spacious) and so attract higher income people; I think the average household income difference between the district and the neighboring city is something like $20k; pretty big. As a result the schools are new, fancy and I just received an email that every student has to get a new iPad, despite Niko’s only being a few months old. I’m in the same county as Zonugal so maybe the same has happened with that school district too?

Our school district proposes a lot of education bonds and our district largely approves them.

But I'd say our general area has also started to shift towards more affluent residents over the last fifteen years.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    V1m wrote: »
    Was in a meeting today and one of our vendors was complaining they couldn't hire new folks (welders) as either A: they honestly answered they smoked weed, or B: they'd rather stay on unemployment + the covid benefits. I raised the point that maybe they should pay more then. There was much hemming and hawing at that statement.

More like heaven forbid we acknowledge supply and demand. It's the same in every industry that always has strong demand. No one ever considers they aren't paying enough so they stay short handed and the people who aren't being paid enough end up with extra work to pick up the slack.

My wife has a part time job doing elderly care, and they just can't keep people, or find good people, and often have lots of their clients go without care. And it's like this is another perfect example of that. Just pay them more than the $13/hr. Make it $18. Or $20. Or more than that. If you want people, and you're not finding enough of them, clearly they can do less and get the same pay or more to not work for you.

nonononono!

nonononono!

Free Market applies to the proles. Not from them.

No!

Bad L Ron!

My mistake! Won't happen again!

Tox wrote: »
    Meanwhile my school functionally should have been called "(region) middle school and mobile home lot"

My last year actual buildings with foundations accounted for somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the classroom seating at the school

I love "temporary" mobile home school additions! One day, that new building is going to be built! You'll see!

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We actually went down in the number of portables we had last year when they built the auxiliary gym. We now only have six of them instead of 13.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Eldercare is one of those things that capitalism can't do well because the people who need it can't afford it, so there's no profit incentive to do it right.

Kind of like childcare, where parents can't afford to pay more, companies can't afford to charge less, and workers can't make rent.

Yeah when I was in nursing school a mill years ago I got my CNA and was thinking of doing that while I was in school.

Starting wage at the local places was $8.75 an hour, and I was making $11.50 at the movie theater, and I didn't have to touch much poop at the movie theater.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh what would have been a 3 day weekend turned into a 6 day work week

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife faced a new work problem this week: it turns out she (and her colleagues) were cursed. In song form! Someone sang a song to lay a curse on them.

Honestly, I thought I was aware of most things that could happen to people on the job, but that one was a new one even to me.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The mobile home classroom is usually because the planners didn't account for much larger population growth than expected and is almost surely trying to cut down up front capital costs at the expense of long term operating costs

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    My wife faced a new work problem this week: it turns out she (and her colleagues) were cursed. In song form! Someone sang a song to lay a curse on them.

Honestly, I thought I was aware of most things that could happen to people on the job, but that one was a new one even to me.

Was it a good song at least?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9kdDet7G14

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

Well if you really want the curse to stick singing it is the only way.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    one of my coworkers from Verizon back in maine, almost 15 years ago, his wife has just died from Covid.

I am.

Angry. I know it's been a long time, and we weren't very close, but still.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Fuck that sucks.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Was gonna cover a callout, girlfriend wanted to talk.......

I stayed home and rethought my life.

• Options
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-3-Pack-50-Watt-Dimmable-Bright-White-MR16-Halogen-Decorative-Light-Bulbs/3495973

Second night as single, was the handyman an asshole for installing a 3 light unit of these as the only lighting in my bedroom?

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular

Eldercare is one of those things that capitalism can't do well because the people who need it can't afford it, so there's no profit incentive to do it right.

Kind of like childcare, where parents can't afford to pay more, companies can't afford to charge less, and workers can't make rent.

Working in elder care or nursing homes is miserable.

So guess who got a new temp contract to work in one. (It's me.)
    Job search has gone sideways, so figured I'd do a new round just to make money. Upside of temp work: I have a definite exit date, and the agency pays for a flat while I work.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just saw a local news article about school districts here begging college ED students to come sub during the long university winter break and figuring out how to give them emergency sub certification.

This is going to suck.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Just saw a local news article about school districts here begging college ED students to come sub during the long university winter break and figuring out how to give them emergency sub certification.

This is going to suck.

My SO works with someone who will be out on maternity leave soon. They've known for months now and she had ADA accommodation to work from home. They only just this week found a sub for her after looking since the start of the school year and the administration was asking her to come back early from maternity and wfh

Everything is on fire and everything is fiiine

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-3-Pack-50-Watt-Dimmable-Bright-White-MR16-Halogen-Decorative-Light-Bulbs/3495973

Second night as single, was the handyman an asshole for installing a 3 light unit of these as the only lighting in my bedroom?

Yes.

For a start led lights would save like 80-90% energy compared to halogen.

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »

Yes.

The hunt begins

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    @Jedoc thanks again for the recommendations previously! About 1/8th of the way through His Very Best. It's neat, and somewhat disappointing at times.

Work related, it's going to be a long short week this week I think.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

Working in elder care or nursing homes is miserable.

So guess who got a new temp contract to work in one. (It's me.)
    Job search has gone sideways, so figured I'd do a new round just to make money. Upside of temp work: I have a definite exit date, and the agency pays for a flat while I work.

When my brothers and I lived in Cheyenne we called a certain near by part of town the necropolis. A visible parlor of death hung over the various homes and the condo rooms for the elderly {I forgot the name of them it was a long day at work]
    But You could both feel and see the miasma of death. the caregivers in the various elderly condos were well onto the road to achieving devout apathy
    It was sad to see people just giving up

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

Yes.

My neighbor leaves her halogen security light on her drive way on all night. I looked up how much it cost according to the Dept of Energy of the US oddly one of the few things not changed over era of the troll
    $40 a month!

• Options

This is going to suck.

Oh, oh no.

Oh noooo

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular

The handyman was probably told to get the cheapest fixture he could find. You should be able to buy LED equivalents. This is what you want to look for: 50 watt, MR16 GU10 base bulb.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    New library rule: for every three Downton Abbey readalikes I find for you, you have to read one about the French Revolution.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

The first sweep of my eyes over that URL rendered it as "Damnable Bright".

So, yes.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The mobile home classroom is usually because the planners didn't account for much larger population growth than expected and is almost surely trying to cut down up front capital costs at the expense of long term operating costs

From my experience, there are usually fucking stupid limitations imposed on how much 'extra' capacity can be forecast and included in planning a new school, so that in the time it takes to go from proposal to opening the doors, the school is already at 107% capacity.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Found poetry in the incident log: "I told him verbally at that point that he is banned from this library for a month to which he responded that I could ban him for a fucking million years."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    ...well, did they?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    ...well, did they?

yes and i am still quite steamed about it

This discussion has been closed.