As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My kid can now ride his bicycle!
    bvv2lc7syxnr.png

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Yeah, I wish it was swings

I appreciate this is no consolation, but being on the other side of this, I really wish my toddler would let his mum do anything. Because I am tired, very tired.

And also it’s quite hard to cook with a toddler wrapped around your legs screaming and crying for dada, but also equally hard once you are holding a toddler in one hand and frying mince with the other.

Both are bad, but yeah, I sympathise mate, really. It sucks!

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Went to a wedding last Friday. Got a babysitter. First social event in two and a half years outside of a few small dinners of maybe six people total.

Just found out multiple wedding guests positive for COVID.

Both kids have fevers, coughs. Just made appointments for the whole family to get swabbed tomorrow morning.

None of us have had it yet. The wedding was even fucking outside!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    my entire body is going to be sore tomorrow. Went to the trampoline park and Athena has been really focusing on some of the Ninja Warrior inspired mini-courses where it's three looped ropes in a row that works over to a cargo net full of dodgeballs to expand the net to give kids something to climb on. She's been getting better and better, but one time today when she was trying to transfer from the first net to the second she slipped, her foot went THROUGH the net and she was left upside down with her ankle trapped in the twisted net.

I had to jump into the foam pit below to lift her up and free her, which was tough, but then I had to try to get out of the foam pit and boy howdy was that a struggle.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Our 6 month old has always been quite spilly after feeding. She's happy and growing and the advice we've had from the local health nurse has been that it's nothing to be concerned about, so we don't sweat it. Just lots of outfit changes and nappy squares getting washed as she spills over everything.

She's also just started (like in the last 2 days) moving a lot more while on her tum. Not crawling yet, but she'll sort of rotate/slide herself around horizontally until she's shifted off of whatever mat/cloth combination she's laying on. Her range seems to be (area we've covered) + 1. I am observing this with equal parts "holy shit go kid you are fucking awesome" and "oh no".

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Went to a wedding last Friday. Got a babysitter. First social event in two and a half years outside of a few small dinners of maybe six people total.

Both kids have fevers, coughs. Just made appointments for the whole family to get swabbed tomorrow morning.

Yep, we all tested positive over the past weekend and are on the quarantine train now. It sucks out loud. Thankfully vaccines are great. The brain sludge is real here.

Good* news though! Your kids will recover twice as fast as you will!

*It is not great

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Yep, we all tested positive over the past weekend and are on the quarantine train now. It sucks out loud. Thankfully vaccines are great. The brain sludge is real here.

Good* news though! Your kids will recover twice as fast as you will!

*It is not great

Both parents negative. One kid negative. Other kid, who currently has a 103.4 fever... Pending.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That's a terrifying fever number....

• Options

Yeah, I think I managed to hit that one time in my early teens and I'm preeeeeeetty sure I hallucinated from it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    It really is. Honestly if I didn't do what I do for a living with an emphasis on pediatrics, I would have brought him in.

• Options
    It really is. Honestly if I didn't do what I do for a living with an emphasis on pediatrics, I would have brought him in.

So did I actually hallucinate or does a high fever unlock the ability to see ghosts

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular

Yeah, I think I managed to hit that one time in my early teens and I'm preeeeeeetty sure I hallucinated from it

I hit a fever of 106 randomly in middle school. I remember watching a video in history class and then just feeling like absolute garbage, going to the nurse, and the nurse taking my temperature and immediately starting to panic. The rest is a blur until I'm at the hospital with an IV drip in my arm, sitting in a wheelchair covered in blankets. I remember looking at the ceiling and hallucinating pretty vividly for awhile until my temperature normalized and I was allowed to go home.

Never did figure out why that happened, as I wasn't sick beforehand and felt fine the next day. Hopefully my kids never get a fever like that, the worry really did a number on my mom.

• Options
    Fevers north of 104 can cause seizures and hallucinations for sure, but usually it's in the setting of dehydration and infection.

Take my kid (20 month old boy) for example. His high over the last 48 hours was 103.9. He's tired and sleeping a ton, but he's still interactive, eating and drinking, and peeing /pooping. Given all of that, I'm perfectly comfortable having him at home with me.

Now, if he wasn't eating or drinking or making wet diapers and maybe more lethargic and not interacting with me? I'd bring him to the emergency department regardless of temperature.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Hey kid thread, it's been a while. We've been through a fairly rough Spring, we're come out mostly for the better, but I just felt like making a post today. On Sunday, my son graduates high school. I drove him to the school building for the last time today. I'll be honest, I started crying halfway home and I haven't stopped.

I wrote something I was originally going to post on Facebook, but I think now I can't, it's just a bit too much for me at the moment. I didn't expect to be the parent that loses their crap at graduation, but here we are :)

I am, however, going to post it here, simply because I trust the forums more than my social media circle, although maybe later I'll get up the courage anyway.
    Today was the last day I drove Luke to school before he graduates Sunday. For those that don't know, the combination of Covid's impact on school transportation, us moving to Raymond, and my working from home, meant that for most of Luke's time in high school, his school transportation was me and our yellow Beetle. I'm incredibly proud of what he's accomplished and become, but today really signifies the end of a phase of all our lives. To me, it feels almost more of an event than Sunday's actual graduation ceremony.

For about 4 years, I've driven Lucas to and from school, usually about a half-hour drive each way. I'd wake up at 6 am, make breakfasts and lunches, and try to get him rousted and out the door by 7. It wasn't always easy.
    Sometimes it was a competition to see who was slower starting, Lucas or our car - and I'm sure somewhere at his school in a file is a very high "Tardy" count. However, in hindsight, I realize now how massively lucky I was to have that time. Many parents don't get 1 hour of true one-on-one time to chat with their teenagers in a small, somewhat confined space, and I got that daily.

They weren't chats that ever really resembled after-school specials. Sometimes they were simple check-ins on past due homework. Sometimes they were discussions of upcoming bowling tournaments. Often they were discussions on future video game purchases. Sometimes they were loud political discussions. There were some days when we had managed to get in each other's way that morning and they were frustratingly silent. There were quite a few where the 30-minute drive was a chance to sneak in just a few more moments of sleep (for him, I generally remained awake). But I had that time every day, and today I'm just taking a moment to appreciate how I got that 1 hour a day of his time to myself.

I know my time as a chauffeur will continue. The Beetle's days as the world's shortest short bus will continue into the fall. Today, I just felt like taking a step back and appreciating that time I was gifted each morning and afternoon with Lucas.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    @Lindsay Lohan what a lovely thing to write!

Made me cry....

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Sure would be nice if I could do anything with Athena without her crying for her mom.

Today I got home from work, after a long, stressful, physically hard and emotionally draining week to Bean rushing towards the door excitedly shouting "Lunch!" (Sometimes I bring home dinner or a snack for him and he calls this lunch.)

When it was clear I didn't have anything for him he said "Bye-bye!" and waved. I started taking my shoes off and putting my bag away and he got tears in his eyes and pointed at the front door and said "This way! Bye-bye!"

I said "Buddy, I live here!"
    "No live here! Bye-bye!" becoming more sad and desperate.

I started walking toward the living room, he ran around in front of me and started pushing me back towards the door. "No live here!"

I walked around him and made my way to the couch, him crying and reaching "No! No daddy! No live here!"

I sat down. He climbed up into his mum's arms, crying. "Aw, we love daddy!" She said.

He looked at me like the lady pointing at the cat in that meme. He climbed down, walked over, and shoved me as hard as he could. Then he climbed back up with his mum.

Little kids can be brutal, but Autistic little kids will straight up fucking murder your emotional state.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Sure would be nice if I could do anything with Athena without her crying for her mom.

Today I got home from work, after a long, stressful, physically hard and emotionally draining week to Bean rushing towards the door excitedly shouting "Lunch!" (Sometimes I bring home dinner or a snack for him and he calls this lunch.)

When it was clear I didn't have anything for him he said "Bye-bye!" and waved. I started taking my shoes off and putting my bag away and he got tears in his eyes and pointed at the front door and said "This way! Bye-bye!"

I said "Buddy, I live here!"
    "No live here! Bye-bye!" becoming more sad and desperate.

I started walking toward the living room, he ran around in front of me and started pushing me back towards the door. "No live here!"

I walked around him and made my way to the couch, him crying and reaching "No! No daddy! No live here!"

I sat down. He climbed up into his mum's arms, crying. "Aw, we love daddy!" She said.

He looked at me like the lady pointing at the cat in that meme. He climbed down, walked over, and shoved me as hard as he could. Then he climbed back up with his mum.

Little kids can be brutal, but Autistic little kids will straight up fucking murder your emotional state.

If I had to guess, he wanted you to leave, bring him home "lunch", and that you didn't get to "live here" until you did. Which might also explain why he was sad and desperate, he assumed he was sending you out and then you didn't go, which ruined what his brain said was supposed to happen.

And yes, autistic kiddos can totally take you out, emotionally. Mom is the clear favorite in our house such that if he's snuggling me, hanging out with me, whatever, and the kiddo hears mom opening a door, waking up, walks into where we are, etc he bolts for her like a shot. I mean, I get it, I'm the parent 70% of the time while the wife works from home in the back room so I'm "normal", and mom is "special".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    He just wants to control his mum and hates sharing her with me.

He hates when she and I talk to eachother and regularly pushes me into another room and closes the door.

• Options
    Well, it happened today! He's off on project grad tonight and then college in the fall (staying home and commuting, so we're not empty nesting yet).

wte27rgxgt5a.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hi guys there has been an update to the wiggles rankings.

The old rankings went.

Emma
    Anto
    Simon
    Lachy

The new rankings are now

Evie
    Tsehey
    Anto
    John
    Lachy

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    And Kelly.

Down here in a different post.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Blake.

Maybe you can help answer this

Why are there Wiggles adult only concerts.

Why is this a thing.

• Options
    Because there are people that watched the wiggles as a kid who are now adults.

Some of my students went to see the wiggles and sent me a photo of Lachy and said he was our enemy.

Those students got me.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Also the internet assures me there are a number of people who want to bone down with the wiggles

I'm glad I don't really know anything about the wiggles, they were never a thing for us and our kiddo.

• Options
    Luke was totally into the Wiggles, I think we saw them three times live. That was the original 4 though, with I think one replacement at the end.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Anyone's kid have asthma? If so, what made you suspect they did?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Our daughter did when she was really little, and this answer is deeply unhelpful but I just knew what it sounded like. My mom and my younger brother both have it and I know what that kind of wheezing sounds like, it's pretty distinctive once you know it.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Youngest insisted on putting out a lemonade stand. I resisted for the longest time because it's a pain in the butt to set up. That said we sold out in FIVE MINUTES and she made $6.25! I guess this means we'll have to buy more lemons next time. This kid is quite the little capitalist.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Anyone's kid have asthma? If so, what made you suspect they did?

Wheezing on exhalation is the gold standard sign.

Fatigue and exhaustion with activities is also a sign.

Wheezing is usually lower in pitch.

• Options
    Cheers, fellow Fathers on our day. What are you doing to celebrate?

Ripley, five year old girl, made me this.

be1yqac2kp7j.jpg

• Options
    Don't know what I'm doing yet. Yesterday we all went out to the pride parade and now we're all exhausted. My son has to work, so I'm thinking a low key, beer and Xbox kind of day.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting at home quarantining because of COVID. The wife bought me three really cool tshirts though (The Slayers, Genshin, and Bluey), and she arranged for someone to mow our lawn all summer which is rad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I had my first mini-heart attack. While heading to the register, Minimuzz announced she had to go to the washroom. I told her we'd go right after I paid, and as I got my receipt, I noticed that she was gone. Turns out, in the twenty seconds I was distracted, she'd decided to be a big girl and head to the washroom by herself, and ran back proud that she'd done it all by herself.

I was proud of myself for not freaking out, and instead telling her to tell me next time before she left.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    We were supposed to be having our housewarming party with a bunch of family, including my brother-in-law (and I was supposed to be getting a secret grill), but then the wife caught Covid, the moving truck failed to arrive when they said they would, the grill isn't actually available yet, etc etc

Instead me and the boys are watching cartoons and isolating in our pajamas while Momma sleeps it off, and I might try to plug in my laptop and do some writing later. Maybe we'll have a water war in the backyard! And I'll probably push for a delivery dinner, because even though we have $300 worth of BBQ food just waiting in the garage freezer, I want something (probably a cheese steak) someone else cooked today

Also Middle Guy, upon discovering it was Father's Day this morning, stopped everything he was doing and made me a thing, because being a Dad is hard but ultimately worth it:
    eecrjvco1k1u.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    We’re going canoeing with my Dad!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My wife almost never remembers Father's Day, so my kids don't know either. It's a bit frustrating since we always do something for her on Mother's day, even if it's just a card or something.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I spent last night in the ER because my son fell off a couch onto the corner of a coffee table and gashed his head

He's fine, but there are now three staples in his head

Woo happy father's day everyone

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm at a baseball game with my eldest. Peanuts and Crackerjacks. Life is good.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)