As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Tiny Lands, Redout Space Assault, Rain City & Home Behind 2 out today!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    13 Sentinels, VtM: Night Road, and Paradise Killer are all on my GotY shortlist.

Which is not the list I ever would have predicted.

The only one that was obviously going to be on there was Kentucky Route Zero, now that the whole thing is finally out.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    How's the Coteries of New York VTM game?
    I have that one from Humble, haven't gotten around to it, but seeing a lot of love here for Night Road.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I really need to get around to Paradise Killer.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Seven is a solid 7/10 game. It has some nice ideas until the latter game repetition and low budget woes bring it down. Well worth the $0 dollars.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    How's the Coteries of New York VTM game?
    I have that one from Humble, haven't gotten around to it, but seeing a lot of love here for Night Road.

If you can pick it up cheap it's an ok way to spend three hours but I found it pretty weak.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Speaking of game of the year shit, GOTY 2018 Forza Horizon 4 is getting a new update tomorrow, continuing its streak as GOTY 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqxuJ1rmpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Supercarriers I've run across in Elite
    USS Scooty-Puff Sr
    Cave Johnson Memorial Science Lab

A couple that seemed to have censored names. One was probably megashit, the other might have been a slur. Hard to tell because it was pretty long and all but the first and last letters were *.

But the winner so far is "Star Citizen is Better"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Speaking of game of the year shit, GOTY 2018 Forza Horizon 4 is getting a new update tomorrow, continuing its streak as GOTY 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hKK4_gvOS0

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    my goty is probably still fall guys, even if the rest of the world has largely moved on from it

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    But the winner so far is "Star Citizen is Better"

I've come across this one before!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I've said for like 5 years that KRZ is the game of whatever year they finish it in and I stand by that

Runner up is Signs of the Sojourner

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and The Pathless are the only other 2020 games I'm really itching to get to. I would, try cyberpunk if a copy fell out of the sky but I'm not paying for it

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Some youtube folks got early access to this, you can make ramps so high that it entirely unloads the map lol, this tool is nuts

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Some youtube folks got early access to this, you can make ramps so high that it entirely unloads the map lol, this tool is nuts

Yeah, they knew that allowing people build so high completely breaks their streaming system, but decided to let it ride because fuck it.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Forza Horizon 4 is genuinely the best open world game I've ever played.

Because it lays out shit loads of options, side missions and content for you.

And then it says "do whatever you feel like, we don't care!"

And it genuinely does not. You do whatever cars you want at whatever difficulty you want. Just fucking Go. It is an absurd car vacation that is having a party so long as you're playing it.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Picked up Heaven's Vault and it is a very good time, but I have a question concerning "fast travel". Sometimes I am able to select points on the map and have Six navigate for me and sometimes I cannot. For example, right now I want to revisit an old location and I can sail their manually, but cannot seem to get the navigation to select it. Is this intentional or am I missing something?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I believe the thing happening there is you can only fast travel down paths you've already explored

So you'll get some weird things where you would be returning to a place you've been before, but taking a new route there, and therefore can't fast travel

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man that poor woman who reviewed cyberpunk on gamespot, she’s going to cop so much angry nerd bullshit

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man that poor woman who reviewed cyberpunk on gamespot, she’s going to cop so much angry nerd bullshit

ah crap

like i know its important to have your name credited on these things, but this seems like one of those times that it would be good to just credit the review to "gamestop staff" instead of to a specific person who is likely to get harassed

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    On the other hand, it's a good review

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I believe the thing happening there is you can only fast travel down paths you've already explored

So you'll get some weird things where you would be returning to a place you've been before, but taking a new route there, and therefore can't fast travel

Yeah. The game takes "rivers" very literally. The path downstream is not the path upstream.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »

I mean yeah but have you met gamers lately

The woman who gave red dead redemption a 9 but said as a negative it had too few female characters was harassed relentlessly. This is going to be an absolute shit show

Also maybe we should stop making games so ridiculously massive if it takes years of delays and crunch and it’s still filled with bugs at release

Prohass on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to take another crack at Heaven's Vault, because I really enjoyed the linguistics gameplay and am a big fan of Inkle as a developer. But man, every piece of that game other than the translation felt janky and snail-paced to me.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Brolo wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hKK4_gvOS0

Stunts was so good. So many memories of building insane elaborate tracks that take up the entire map and then crashing and instantly exploding on the first turn

Prohass on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah but she didn't say it was a life changing game, the best game ever made, the glorious Ur-Game to usher in a new age, so she's going to get pilloried.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22158019/cyberpunk-2077-review-cd-projekt-red-pc-ps4-xbox-one-stadia

Reading this review and having all of the trans and queer stuff listed at one part really does remind me of how much they fucked that up. Good god.
    Thankfully, your character’s gender is not tied to your choice of genitals. You can create a dude with a vagina or a lady with a penis, that’s no problem. But because of everything else about how the game handles trans identity, this hardly feels like the progressive step it should be. Rather than just letting you pick your pronouns independently of all your other character creation choices, your pronouns are assigned based on your selection of voice: Pick the “feminine” voice and your pronouns are she/her, and vice versa. (There are no nonbinary pronoun options.) As a trans woman with a voice that many would not describe as “feminine,” this direct linking of gender identity to having a voice that sounds “masculine” or “feminine” feels weirdly essentializing.

I could have forgiven it if the rest of the game took strides to humanize trans identities, but boy, it sure doesn’t. Ubiquitous throughout Night City are ads for a beverage called Chromanticure that feature a female-coded model with a penis visible through her skintight clothing, making it clear that in Cyberpunk 2077, trans bodies are objectified and commodified. Some cis bodies are, too, of course, but the crucial difference is that, as V, we constantly meet, interact with, and form relationships with cis characters who have far more dimension than the surface of any sexualized image on a billboard. The same can’t be said of trans characters. Even if you opt to play as a trans V, she’s not particularly well-defined. The game is about what you see through her eyes and what she goes through, not about who she is as a person.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    The woman who reviewed GTA5 on Gamespot got harassed to the point that Danny O'Dwyer posted an angry video excoriating their viewers.

The game had been scored a 9.

Godspeed to Kallie Plagge.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22158019/cyberpunk-2077-review-cd-projekt-red-pc-ps4-xbox-one-stadia

Reading this review and having all of the trans and queer stuff listed at one part really does remind me of how much they fucked that up. Good god.
    Thankfully, your character’s gender is not tied to your choice of genitals. You can create a dude with a vagina or a lady with a penis, that’s no problem. But because of everything else about how the game handles trans identity, this hardly feels like the progressive step it should be. Rather than just letting you pick your pronouns independently of all your other character creation choices, your pronouns are assigned based on your selection of voice: Pick the “feminine” voice and your pronouns are she/her, and vice versa. (There are no nonbinary pronoun options.) As a trans woman with a voice that many would not describe as “feminine,” this direct linking of gender identity to having a voice that sounds “masculine” or “feminine” feels weirdly essentializing.

I could have forgiven it if the rest of the game took strides to humanize trans identities, but boy, it sure doesn’t. Ubiquitous throughout Night City are ads for a beverage called Chromanticure that feature a female-coded model with a penis visible through her skintight clothing, making it clear that in Cyberpunk 2077, trans bodies are objectified and commodified. Some cis bodies are, too, of course, but the crucial difference is that, as V, we constantly meet, interact with, and form relationships with cis characters who have far more dimension than the surface of any sexualized image on a billboard. The same can’t be said of trans characters. Even if you opt to play as a trans V, she’s not particularly well-defined. The game is about what you see through her eyes and what she goes through, not about who she is as a person.

Hey, don't worry about it.

There's also explicit transphobia:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    It’s just so sad and infuriating that like all these angry boys never learned or cared to learn what criticism actually is. “Oh the negatives for bugs is fine, but negatives for the content and narrative? For how it intersects with culture? For how the reviewer felt about the experience? What is this liberal trash!? Give me hard data!”

Prohass on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    You guys can keep your robits and your cybers, the real anticipated game of 2020 is coming out tomorrow and it's Call of the Sea, a first person puzzle game about a woman looking for her kidnapped(???MAYBE??) husband on a deserted (MYSTICAL???) island

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1042490/

it looks cool as hell!

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s just so sad and infuriating that like all these angry boys never learned or cared to learn what criticism actually is. “Oh the negatives for bugs is fine, but negatives for the content and narrative? For how it intersects with culture? For how the reviewer felt about the experience? What is this liberal trash!? Give me hard data!”

I mean, I've being saying it as a joke for a literal year but the game promises the straight, cis, white dude fantasy of cyberpunk where all underclass is a fantasy of identities as personalities for you to uplift or exploit and that's all they want.

Anything that then talks about those identities as people being exploited or denigrated by the game talking about them as people not poppy personalities are bad reviewers who just don't get what they want.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

Yeah. The game takes "rivers" very literally. The path downstream is not the path upstream.

I think my issue is story-locked? There was a time where I could free sail and get to some river ruins I had passed by previously. Now those ruins are missing from the map and all I can plot too are story (?) mysteries/locations.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

oh for fuck's sake CDPR

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

oh for fuck's sake CDPR

Queer people are just colour for the fantasy of macho player character exploring the seedy underbelly.

You can tell its seedy because queer people are there. Also Hattians whose only rep is a gang.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    That kotaku review is actually a really good review too, coming down on still liking the game but it being a complicated like, and at the same time fairly uncomplicated because the game is just your usual big aaa game fare and the reviewer is largely ok with that.

It seems to suffer most in that they haven’t got a Geralt as the main character, and having a kind of blank slate cipher main character leaves the player not knowing how they’re supposed to feel about what’s going in, which is something I feel is a problem for all games that have that kind of main character approach

Prohass on
  • Options
    Everyone kind of likes the game because it has enough money to be a competent game.

It's still exactly as bland as any given ubisoft game from what the reviews say.

The difference being those games didn't trade on hot button issues like transphobia to fucking market their 7/10 paste.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Best games I've played this year were Kentucky Route Zero, Disco Elysium, and Night in the Woods.

One of those actually came out* this year!

Bravely Default and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are in the running for Longest Game I Played this Year.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    are you kidding? using hot button issues to market middling experiences is literally ubisoft's entire corporate model

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    are you kidding? using hot button issues to market middling experiences is literally ubisoft's entire corporate model

Yeah, but they usually confine the "ripped from the headlines" shit to one or two games a year.

This year's happened to be Watch Dogs: Legion.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    traditional gender norms existing in a universe where you can get robot hands that function better than human hands is such a big ?????????

This discussion has been closed.