Options

Jessica Walter Memorial [TV] Thread

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I turned 40 years old.

I’m now obligated to be terrified of all youths.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I have had several 'it's the children that are wrong' moments and I hate it

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think the oldest I've felt was when I realized my baby cousin, the little bean I held when she was newborn, the toddler I babysat, is 18 now and smokes weed

half of me is like "haha nice I hope she stays cool." and the other half is worried I'm gonna collapse into dust

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I turned 40 years old.

I’m now obligated to be terrified of all youths.

Did you buy one of those "Music/Band" shirts that all the youths are wearing these days?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    At 40, I still feel young until the actual moment I am confronted with young people.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    At 40, I still feel young until the actual moment I am confronted with young people.

I still feel young until I try to stand up after sitting down for an extended period.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah the sudden de-limbering of all my joints was an unpleasant surprise gifted by my late thirties.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Looking after a gaggle of 16 year olds has made me realise all children are evil and must be destroyed.

It also makes me think back to my childhood and just what a little shithead I was (still am?)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I had a anthro-biologist colleague who, if you got him drunk at picnics, would talk at length about how most pre-agrarian societies would kick their kids out at 13-14 to go live with another tribe or extended family somewhere else, because teenagers are insufferable monsters and we had to socially evolve a way to keep from killing them.

Then we invented farming and suddenly their usefulness as laborers outweighed the headaches. I still think we'd be healthier as a society if we had some equivalent handling method nowadays, though (boarding schools don't count, they just expose teens to other teens, which reinforces the problems)

• Options
    My old boarding house master used to tell us, “one boy, one brain. Two boys, half a brain. Three boys, no brain” and goddamn I don’t think a more accurate statement exists.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    My old boarding house master used to tell us, “one boy, one brain. Two boys, half a brain. Three boys, no brain” and goddamn I don’t think a more accurate statement exists.

My dad had a very similar quote about teens and physical labor. One of those universal truths, I reckon.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Looking after a gaggle of 16 year olds has made me realise all children are evil and must be destroyed.

It also makes me think back to my childhood and just what a little shithead I was (still am?)

Haha. As problematic as this statement is out of context, sixteen year olds are my favourite age range. They’ve finally done with most of their puberty so they aren’t on their mood roller coaster anymore and they’re reflective enough to really start to take an interest in you when you talk to them and they aren’t 18 yet so they don’t think they’re experts in life.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've had one or two moments where I'm listening to a modern teenager talk about modern teenager things and I find myself getting confused and angry at their new fangled notions and general uppityness. Then I remembered I'm actually only like, 10 or 12 years older than them and I feel even more confused and angry.

I guess the conclusion I'm forced to come to is I was never cool and "with it" and I never will be.

• Options
    yeah 16 is when I remember my classmates becoming reasonably human again, after a couple of years of being nothing but anthropormorphic sacks of hormones.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’m well aware of how old I am because I often show my students my calculator and tell them it is older than them.

• Options
    (I actually really both like and hate year nines, because they are such a fucking roller coaster from being completely hilarious and being pig headed about everything and me hating them)

Though this year I have explicitly said I don’t want year nines, but that is because I know what the current year 8 cohort is like and I just want a goddam break from them.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I've had one or two moments where I'm listening to a modern teenager talk about modern teenager things and I find myself getting confused and angry at their new fangled notions and general uppityness. Then I remembered I'm actually only like, 10 or 12 years older than them and I feel even more confused and angry.

I guess the conclusion I'm forced to come to is I was never cool and "with it" and I never will be.

That's okay. On the flip side, there's nothing grosser than a 30-to-50-year-old person who is still deeply into teen trends and tropes and wants to talk to teens about it.

After that I think it starts to get cool again.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

My dad had a very similar quote about teens and physical labor. One of those universal truths, I reckon.

I wanna hear the full quote! Do you remember it?

Also just to be clear, I love these boys as much as they drive me insane. They have never had someone to really back them up before, and they do things that either melt or break my heart.

A couple of the guys in the early days would sneak plates of dinner out to their rooms, because they were used to no getting regular meals. They would horde all manner of stuff in their rooms.

When they do dumb shit, they tend to do REALLY dumb shit. They come from a world where their adults flog the shit out of them for any little thing, so you can see them doing the calculus of, ‘well, I’ll be in the shit regardless so I may as well make the most of it’. That and a bunch of other pathological behaviours from being beaten really just reinforce how insidious corporal punishment is!

Ultimately though, you can see them respond so well to be treated with dignity and respect. Two of our guys are starting their apprenticeships to be carpenters this year, hopefully another four will be ready by June. They are loving having a job, and particularly having a well paying job. At 16c They’re out-earning their whole family, which is equal parts awesome and incredibly sad

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

I wanna hear the full quote! Do you remember it?

Also just to be clear, I love these boys as much as they drive me insane. They have never had someone to really back them up before, and they do things that either melt or break my heart.

A couple of the guys in the early days would sneak plates of dinner out to their rooms, because they were used to no getting regular meals. They would horde all manner of stuff in their rooms.

When they do dumb shit, they tend to do REALLY dumb shit. They come from a world where their adults flog the shit out of them for any little thing, so you can see them doing the calculus of, ‘well, I’ll be in the shit regardless so I may as well make the most of it’. That and a bunch of other pathological behaviours from being beaten really just reinforce how insidious corporal punishment is!

Ultimately though, you can see them respond so well to be treated with dignity and respect. Two of our guys are starting their apprenticeships to be carpenters this year, hopefully another four will be ready by June. They are loving having a job, and particularly having a well paying job. At 16c They’re out-earning their whole family, which is equal parts awesome and incredibly sad

I don't remember the exact quote, but the math breaks down to where one teen can do a decent day's work. Two teens can do the work of about one and a half teens. And three teens can do half the work of one teen.

Insert "I reckons" and "just abouts" and long gazes at the horizon where appropriate.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    yeah watching someone thrive after some of the life burdens they've been dealing with get lifted is fucking exhilarating

I'm having to push back against my manager on some mentorship stuff this past week - we explicitly went out of our way this summer to recruit interns from historically black colleges and seek out people who don't have the structural advantages of eg. your average ivy league student. And 2020 was a fucking chaos nightmare for everyone. So when our interns are now flailing and finding it hard to buckle down and produce results, I'm inclined to give them a bit of additional support, especially the kid living in DC who has also had to deal first hand with the whole *blaaahhh* of these last few weeks. But she's trying to dissuade me from hand-holding him too much and I'm like, ok sure, part of a research internship is learning to stand on your own feet. But part of our responsibility as mentors is to recognise when people are out of their depth and figure out alternatives that let them chalk up SOME success. I'm not gonna sit by and let this kid fall through the cracks!

... this is more job thread related, I guess it's just been irking me more than I realised.

• Options
    Oh god yes that is very true.

Teens can only work in teams of two, no more

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I just don’t see how anybody can hold it together in the USA. I suppose necessity brings out the best in us, but like, people were having a nervy-b after a 45 day lockdown here

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I just don’t see how anybody can hold it together in the USA

A lot of us aren't

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I just don’t see how anybody can hold it together in the USA. I suppose necessity brings out the best in us, but like, people were having a nervy-b after a 45 day lockdown here

well lockdown never got real serious here (in most places anyway) so it's not as claustrophobic. OTOH the massive death count, chaotic government, and continuing political unrest take their own psychological tolls.
    But I think Americans have been told for decades that there is Nothing More Important Than Work, and only slackers stop for minor inconveniences like their leg falling off or their government being overthrown, so there's a general atmosphere of "well what else are you going to do?"

tynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah. As a manager, I just had to review a request for a 90-day leave of absence because the staff member was afraid of contracting covid since we're open to the public despite Oklahoma having the fourth-highest case numbers in the world, if you track US states against whole other countries because that's the only metric that makes some US states okay.

And my basic mental response was "Yeah, man, we all are. Way to identify the general circumstances."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

A lot of us aren't
    :cry: it literally keeps me up at night that this is happening to youse all

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    All the universities here have allowed entry based off year 11 results due to Covid, which is good! But due to this, a lot of it year 12s did not give a fuck and it is 100% going to effect then next year.

• Options

A lot of us aren't
    :cry: it literally keeps me up at night that this is happening to youse all

I'd be a lot less angry about it if the people responsible for this happening were the ones seeing consequences, but that venn intersection is infinitesimal.

I hope that the policy failures that led to this situation are remembered in shame for generations, but I'm worried they'll be memory-holed.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    We have a memory of approximately two weeks, I'm not holding my breath

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    i don't think i recovered from april, where we were in our first major lockdown, i got covid, and i was laid off almost immediately after reporting i was sick

at least not mentally.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I was fine for a long time, in no small part because some expected work never fully materialized, but the past few months have just been mentally killer.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    She was great. Goddamnit.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Something just particularly grim about how of the distressingly large portion of the B5 cast that has died she was the oldest at 65.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Dang, she was great in everything I saw her in.

She was even great in her role in Payday 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgGWwFvKyg

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Damn, and here is her final tweet:

Tweet Text:
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We're all star stuff", I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script.
    Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid.
    In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars.
    Breathe in. Breathe out.
    That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Lars on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh boy, that got me to cry.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Anyone else watch Alone on the History Channel?

My wife and I just kind of randomly started season 6 on Netflix.

It’s some really compelling tv

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've been wanting to watch that. Scrolled past it ax few times.

Unrelated, dunno if anyone is watching Mr. Mayor but Bobby Moynihan has an episode ending line this week that left me crying laughing.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Yep Alone is great

All of the seasons are on Hulu

640qocnq4ske.gif
This discussion has been closed.