Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The next DQ should allow loadouts where items used by characters automatically refill from the item bag after combat if they are available. That way fights are still based around limited carrying capacity but it’s less tedious afterwards.

That can be the DQ12 quality of life improvement.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Oh yeah they did nerf Catnip didn't they.

Made short work of that dungeon with the Catnip/Gunner combo.

I am playing the PS2 version, but from what I’m seeing the only way I have left TO get a Catnip is in that very dungeon.
    I got to floor 17, got one-shotted by a dragon, and went NOPE.

sig.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The next DQ should allow loadouts where items used by characters automatically refill from the item bag after combat if they are available. That way fights are still based around limited carrying capacity but it’s less tedious afterwards.

That can be the DQ12 quality of life improvement.

I think kingdom hearts did that and I always felt like it was a solid way to handle limited consumables

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Fell Seal went a step further. There wasn't an item stockpile at all. You just had x number of uses per battle, which was upgradeable.
    So you basically never had to worry if you'll need that big potion for that tough boss later. Just if you need it now. I guess also XCOM did that, as well as the general trend in a lot of games to move towards cooldowns and encounter powers for a lot of things. Which I really like, as someone with consumable anxiety.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Persona Royal did that with guns and bullets. They refill every fight so really no reason to not go ham with the BRRRRRRRRRRR

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As I've gotten older I've finally gotten over my consumable hoarding("My party is about to wipe? Fuck it megapotion I got like 30.")

But I do much prefer when you can slot items and just have limited used per fight.

I also think that let's the dev better balance things.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The inventory in DQ11 would annoy me more if I ever actually used items.

As it is I mostly just stick a few status ailment cures on folk that can't cast a spell to do it and ignore them.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I still want a real Persona musou with characters from 3-5 a la Persona Q

I wish they had added more characters since we only got two new characters. And since it's a weird split with Royal not being canon, we don't get Kasumi. I get why there are no P3/4 characters for story reasons, but it still kinda stinks having a limited roster.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, I think Dragon Quest IX may have started to lose me when I learned that getting party members means recruiting 3 generic adventurers at an inn. Does this mean that there will be no party members with a larger part in the story, or dialogue with each other?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah it's entirely create your own party

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Man, talking about Dragon Quest, the only entries I've played are 9, 7, and 11, in that order. 9 sucked me in and I loved it enough to go through it three times, and even fought the DS's awful online in order to do the DLC.

DQ7 was a game I'd wanted to play ever since I saw it in the pages of PSM in the mid 90s, but being a teenager meant only one or two games a year, and other stuff beat it out for interest. Fast forward 20 years and I see the remake is out on the 3DS. I get kind of excited to try a game I'd been wanting to play for so long and...

...I was rewarded with one of the most miserable RPG experiences I've ever had. The game was slow, the characters were thoroughly unlikable, and when I walked into a new town, saw the words "ALLTRADES ABBEY" pop up, and then had the game finally actually begin twenty-five hours in I was fuckin' done. I looked up the ludicrous amount of grinding I'd have to do to get classes leveled and caught up and I noped on out.

DQ11 is wonderful though.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah, DQ9 is a weird one. I think it originally was meant to be real time combat, hence the way the battles look, and with the party creation there was a greater focus on online and multiplayer? That’s just a guess though

I had fun with it for a while, it s a well made game, it just didn’t thread the needle for me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    the multiplayer aspect of DQ9 was huge to the point that it sold far, far more copies than any other DQ before it. something like 4.5 million copies

personally I love the game, I had like 200 hours on my save

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    DQ9 had some really good town stories.

The main story suffered due to the way the party was setup though and it definitely felt pretty underwhelming to me.

DQ7 is a great game if you're in the mood for it. There are a lot of good stories in the areas, the overarching story is rather satisfying (much better pacing in the remake helps) and I thought the class system was solid. It could also be pretty challenging. That 3D maze can still forever die in a fire tho. That was miserable for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Yayyy with a shot of the “The End” screen of FFX-2 with 95% completion

I missed whistling in the ending despite knowing it was coming, so I reset the game and immediately fought the final boss a second time. That wasn’t great.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    yeah it's entirely create your own party

Awww.

I'll still try to give it a shot, but that's a bummer. I do think I'd be more excited if I had the means or inclination to do the multiplayer.

• Options
    I think the only dragon ___ game I've played was a gbc one years ago. I think it was a dragon warrior. I never really knew what the difference was between the series though. Maybe just naming conventions in the west?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I think the only dragon ___ game I've played was a gbc one years ago. I think it was a dragon warrior. I never really knew what the difference was between the series though. Maybe just naming conventions in the west?

Yes, the series is exactly the same. Dragon Warrior was named such because of a trademark issue in the West. They were able to clear up that issue in the Ps1 era and abandoned the "Warrior" branding to match the OG name, Quest.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    At the time there was already a TTRPG from the 80s called Dragon Quest, so when the game was first localized they changed the name to Dragon Warrior.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Never forget the Dragon Warrior Monster series too, cause it's rad yo.

• Options
    The last DQ I played that wasn't modern in some way was in the PS1 era and it involved a bunch of islands that had to be restored to the present time by journeying back to fix the things that made them disappear in the first place. I got stuck early on in an island full of robots that were way too difficult for my party.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m old enough that I got a copy of Dragon Warrior for the NES for free with a Nintendo Power subscription.

• Options
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Never forget the Dragon Warrior Monster series too, cause it's rad yo.

DQ Monsters rules. Really great mash up of Dragon Quest and Pokemon mechanics, and a FANTASTIC monster breeding system (well, really it's more like fusing since the parents peace out after you get an egg).

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    The last DQ I played that wasn't modern in some way was in the PS1 era and it involved a bunch of islands that had to be restored to the present time by journeying back to fix the things that made them disappear in the first place. I got stuck early on in an island full of robots that were way too difficult for my party.

That's DQ7. I played it on the 3DS, and I liked it enough to beat it, but I don't think I'd replay it, unlike DQ5 or DQ6.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sophie's
    skill in Strikers is so weird to me. Because it requires timing and patience and generally being rooted to one spot. And there is so much noise on the screen that's usually a bad idea.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Sophie's
    skill in Strikers is so weird to me. Because it requires timing and patience and generally being rooted to one spot. And there is so much noise on the screen that's usually a bad idea.
    I was under the impression that once the buff was on that was it and you don't need to like, keep timing EVERY strike to it unless it runs out (and the timing is very easy on the first 1-2 hits of her basic combo). you can also just manually apply it with whatever your system's equivalent of triangle is.

if you mean the rapid strike finishers the trick is not to use them unless a boss is stationary and stunned, say you just did an all out attack or a showtime. it's pretty efficient damage but only if the target cant fight back

sophie seemed incredibly powerful even with suboptimal useage of the above

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Sophie's
    I was under the impression that once the buff was on that was it and you don't need to like, keep timing EVERY strike to it unless it runs out (and the timing is very easy on the first 1-2 hits of her basic combo). you can also just manually apply it with whatever your system's equivalent of triangle is.

if you mean the rapid strike finishers the trick is not to use them unless a boss is stationary and stunned, say you just did an all out attack or a showtime. it's pretty efficient damage but only if the target cant fight back

sophie seemed incredibly powerful even with suboptimal useage of the above

Ah I see I was confused about the nature of upgrade I thought perfect catch gave you upgrade and a damage bonus.

What you're saying makes more sense.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    So the .//hack gu package is 80% on psn right now (maybe others too idk). How does it hold up? I remember generally liking the original set of games but never played the gu series.

Part of me is mortally hurt that 80% off means $10 still but whatever it's within my range and I just finished a long JRPG so I got plate space

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    As a huge fan of the original quadrology, the gu games are better in basically every respect

• Options
    GU rules and if you like the original games than none of its idiosyncrasies should bother you at all.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Nice. This came up because I overheard a friend describe something as a game set in an mmo and I was like "oh dot hack?" It was crosscode but that reminded me they did these remasters and good timing on a sale I guess.

I should probably try crosscode at some point too tbh

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Crosscode is great!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Crosscode is fantastic but it’s not really an RPG. It’s more of an old school Zelda style adventure game with some ridiculously hard puzzles

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I mean, you level up, grind loot for crafting materials, allocate skill points as you please, choose part members, modify your stats through choice of equipment...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I really want to like GU but I got to the second game and it was like they took the enemy spawn dial and cranked it up to maximum. Then they gave the monsters huge pathing areas so it's annoying as hell just to move around.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I’ve always had a much narrower definition of what an RPG is.

To me, those are RPG elements but the game doesn’t play like an RPG. It plays like an action game.

My definition of RPG might be too narrow but it’s what I work with. Definitely not arguing that I’m right.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Genre binning games is all subjective but CrossCode to me plays way more like a Zelda with RPG elements added than it does anything else.

• Options
    My personal definition of RPG is basically if I consider it an RPG in my head when thinking about it or not. Crosscode would be an RPG, but Control would not be.

It's worked well for me thus far.

• Options
    call of duty is an rpg

• Options
    I think my biggest criteria would be whether the story and characters are important and treated as such in respects to the overall game or if they're bolted on and completely forgettable. That's what defines an RPG in my opinion, more than anything else.

This discussion has been closed.