As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    More summer releases! pretty crazy how much we are actually getting in summer for once.

Well all the fall/spring shit got delayed by covid

Yea I'm hoping the summer games do well enough to keep this going in the future. Always annoyingly the most barren time of the year.

Also despite fall/spring stuff getting pushed there is/was still enough fall spring stuff that I legit have not had a gap in games to play since last year and it looks like I'm already set to continue that straight through the summer now and I'm sure this fall will have plenty because that's usually one of the most packed times of the year to set up for the holidays.

I cannot even remember the last time I didn't run out of games to play in a year. And so far this year may actually pull it off!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Enter the Reapers looks cool and all but where the FUCK is Tales of Arise?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the Saga Frontier remaster coming next week. Not only does it have new content, it's also got a bunch of QoL improvements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8j-nBNkDq4

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    My body is ready...to randomly learn radiant skills.

Might just have myself a SaGa week, play 2, 3, and Frontier once it hits.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Enter the Reapers looks cool and all but where the FUCK is Tales of Arise?

We are supposed to get an update during spring.

So we should be getting something(hopefully a date!) between now and E3.

Are there any other events between now and E3?

If not it may just be an E3 thing since that is technically still Spring and Bandai Namco is slated to be part of it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh yeah! I’m all about that Saga Frontier.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Is the new MC wearing a face mask pulled down to their chin? Too soon

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I played Chrono Cross when it came out. I didn't understand a bit of it. Now, with the power of youtube and wikis...

Wait, no, it still doesn't make a lick of sense.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I tried playing Fantasian on my girlfriend's phone last night and it's... too boring. It's such a slow burn for the first two hours. The characters and the story are just... nothing.

Chrono Trigger gets you into the story and action in the first 10 minutes! Why does every game need an extended tutorial? Why not start the story when it's interesting?

They're trying to do a big mysterious story and just isn't landing for me.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    I played Chrono Cross when it came out. I didn't understand a bit of it. Now, with the power of youtube and wikis...

Wait, no, it still doesn't make a lick of sense.

Chrono Trigger is Back to the Future Part 1

Chrono Cross is Part 2.

• Options
    I remember Chrono Cross being pretty straightforward but also that was almost 20 years ago and I don't remember much about it. So it's quite possible that "straightforward" means my kid brain just smoothed over any odd bits to follow the forward progress of the plot

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Chrono Cross was really compelling until the end third when it just infodumped a ton of shit about dragons, shattering of some omnidragon, dimensions, FATE. It was like reading an appendix for a Stormlight Archive book.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I honestly like and always look forward to when a JRPG hits it's final chapter and just goes nuts and is suddenly all like "Aliens? Crazy gods? Or something?"

I'll admit though that it can often be done rather poorly.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    YouTube's algorithm led me to the Legend of Dragoon OST, and man that soundtrack just has nothing going on. Sometimes people express nostalgia for that game and I can't remember a single thing about it.

It got me thinking about other JRPGs that didn't leave much of a mark. I never got very far in Baten Kaitos, I could not abide the ability shouts. AQUA BURST! and LIGHT FLARE! were probably the only thing I remember.

The Baten Kaitos games were good rpg's with some truly atrocious voice acting. Just all timers in how awful it was. I think they're ripe for some remasters if they can get some new voices.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    LoD was a pretty standard jRPG by most standards but the battle system and the idea of Dragoons was really cool so I have a soft spot for it.

I also liked the lore surrounding the Dragoon but I like tragic hero stories.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Chrono Cross was really compelling until the end third when it just infodumped a ton of shit about dragons, shattering of some omnidragon, dimensions, FATE. It was like reading an appendix for a Stormlight Archive book.

FATE takes place halfway through the story

the other world happened during the Time Crash when Chronopolis scientists used the Frozen Flame(a fragment of Lavos) to make a big old woopsy poopsy

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    just the biggest fucky wucky

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    And then some motherfucker in a pith helmet hands you your entire ass

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    maybe your alternate reality self just shouldn't have died like a sucker

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Fuse looks like the type of character that gets awarded the "crazy" adjective to hand wave him being a huge jerk :?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    You all may recall that last year I completed a project of finishing Final Fantasy I-VII before starting VIIR. Next, I would like to complete VIII-XV (excluding XI and XIV, but including X-2, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns) before XVI comes out, whenever that might be.

To that end, I have recently started Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on PS4.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition showed up yesterday so I eventually got it started today and have reached the point where I was in the PS4 demo of the original, the PS4 copy of the original, and the Switch demo because yes I tried this game three times before but for some reason I always tried playing it when highly exhausted and my runs would peter out. So this time I didn't do that and I'm also following a guide for the items because I'm finding it's very easy to miss chests out in the overworld sometimes.
    So I have just gotten thrown in the dungeon and subsequently broken out because despite being the Luminary it appears that's a bad thing here and I'm pretty sure when or if I make it back to Cobblestone I'm gonna find everything and everyone reduced to ashes.

I'm also very curious what the heck these little spirits I find occasionally are. They're identical to the angry red one from the opening cutscene in shape but otherwise they don't do anything. I assume I'll find out eventually though.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    turtleant wrote: »
    And then some motherfucker in a pith helmet hands you your entire ass

HolyDragSwd. And it's a white shirt, suspenders, straw hat, and bermuda shorts.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I like how no one stops me from breaking their stuff or looting their cabinets but they'll comment on me doing these things.

The only person who's had the audacity to keep me away from my stuff was some nobility jerk in the castle. But I'll remember him. And when I eventually go back, because I know I will at some point, I'll be sure to take everything in that chest to leave him destitute like I did for the other jackass who deliberately put a chest on his balcony to taunt passerby.

Madican on
  • Options
    Return to Cobblestone
    I knew it was going to happen but way to go for that special gutpunch with the whole past vision experience first to throw me off, game.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I beat Ikenfell last night. Really enjoyed it. Fun mix of Mario and Luigi style button timing with grid based positioning. Would have been good if they let you practice the timing for things before using them, since pretty much any difficulty I had came from button timing rather than poor strategy, but there are options to make it easier.

Anyway, cool to see an RPG with openly gay and non-binary characters. I liked the story and characters for the most part, and I was worried at points it might take a weird turn, but it never did. Plus it's short.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Getting near the end of Trails of Cold Steel 1. Just finished the first few missions of Chapter 6. It is still a perfectly mediocre JRPG, but at some point around halfway through I found my motivations for continuing to play kinda got swapped. When I started it, the ensemble cast was...not very good, but I was interested to see what worldbuilding they would do. Somewhere around Chapter 4, though, I started liking the character writing more and the political writing significantly less. It was pretty disappointing to have the game bring up the problems of class warfare (nobility vs commoners) and imperialism, only to have it eventually say, "These things are fine, actually, and the real problems are just the few bad nobles and rulers." So yeah. Surprisingly fond of a few of the characters in Class VII, but incredibly frustrated with the actual plot.

The plot gets messier, sadly, and Rean remains a complete idiot.

It still has great moments, but the game could be cut in half and little of value lost.

That said, we did some tweaking in discord to fix Emma's CS4 appearance:
    0tjv464kdbbv.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    You all may recall that last year I completed a project of finishing Final Fantasy I-VII before starting VIIR. Next, I would like to complete VIII-XV (excluding XI and XIV, but including X-2, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns) before XVI comes out, whenever that might be.

To that end, I have recently started Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on PS4.

We look forward to your adventures in trading card games, relentlessly sharking your way through the world. Remember: Give them nothing, but take from them everything

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    I'm actually not sure if i can ever play VIII like a normal game again. I just know too much of the dark magics that break it open

• Options
    I am having way too much fun with the Forge minigame. I've been told not to use my pearls on early gear, but I can usually make it +2 and sometimes +3 on my initial attempt anyway.

Really hope I find a Greatsword recipe soon. I'm specced into that skill tree on the Hero but using a sword at the moment because it's a +3. Erik is using a nasty little paralyzing poison Knife I got from some birds on the Emerald Coast earlier that I probably shouldn't have been able to slaughter so easily. Also helps in my earlier explorations before I even reached Heliodor I got four Bunny Tail accessories so +16 Agility for both characters means fights against single enemies usually end within a single turn before they can act.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm actually not sure if i can ever play VIII like a normal game again. I just know too much of the dark magics that break it open

Just don't engage with triple triad and the game mostly has a reasonable difficulty curve

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Just don't engage with triple triad and the game mostly has a reasonable difficulty curve

But that's asking people to not engage with the best part of the game

• Options
    engaging in ff8 'properly' makes the game actively harder

it's a poorly designed system

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Madican wrote: »
    I am having way too much fun with the Forge minigame. I've been told not to use my pearls on early gear, but I can usually make it +2 and sometimes +3 on my initial attempt anyway.

Really hope I find a Greatsword recipe soon. I'm specced into that skill tree on the Hero but using a sword at the moment because it's a +3. Erik is using a nasty little paralyzing poison Knife I got from some birds on the Emerald Coast earlier that I probably shouldn't have been able to slaughter so easily. Also helps in my earlier explorations before I even reached Heliodor I got four Bunny Tail accessories so +16 Agility for both characters means fights against single enemies usually end within a single turn before they can act.

Another thing I appreciated about DQXI.

The crafting/upgrade system was actually something meant to be used throughout the whole game not something you get punished for unless you just wait until the end.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Pearls are buyable at the Academy (maybe 20% into the game) for cheap. There are tons ways to earn lots of gold, even early on. Not the endgame ways where you can fight one battle and earn enough money to buy more pearls that you could even theoretically use in an hour, but they're really not a limited or difficult to obtain resource.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Oh in that case I'll make sure to +3 whatever Greatsword recipe I can find next. Thanks

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

You can buy pearls after a certain point in the game too, so I never felt bad about trying to +3 my gear. The games pretty good about letting you bypass/speed up a couple different token systems with cash if you prefer. Cash route is usually way less efficient but I liked that I had the option if I felt like using it.

Every time I think I about DQ11 I marvel at how well designed most of it's systems are.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Fighting random encounters makes the game harder!

• Options
    By the way more games should let me mow down enemies when I clock them in a vehicle. I easily spent a good five minutes when I first got the horse riding back and forth playing fantasy GTA.

Then I found out Definitive Edition even gives you some of the EXP for running over a monster and that just gives me more reason to actually use the horse.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Fighting random encounters makes the game harder!

The level 1 run is actually easier than playing normally iirc?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.