As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I remember thinking that the second //.hack GU game is where it really started to shine, though I don't remember why I felt that way.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I remember thinking that the second //.hack GU game is where it really started to shine, though I don't remember why I felt that way.

They make some pretty big improvements to the combat. Better combos for knives and greatsword, and in battle weapon switching once Haseo gets 3rd form back.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    All games are rpgs.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    all games with a premade character are rpgs because you are playing a role, except if you make your own character, in which case it's a crpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    All games are rpgs.

And what is life if not the ultimate RPG. *smokes bubble pipe*

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i played the GU collection fairly recently for the first time and quite liked them

crosscode got less enjoyable for me the farther I got in it though

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    well nuts to that plan, apparently yesterday was the last or only day it was on sale so when i went to the store it was full price. it must have been on sale independently before the spring sale and just ran out but i only noticed it at the end

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Got distracted by Sunless Skies for a bit (also Elder Scrolls Online and Genshin Impact), but finally reached the second part of Dragon Quest XI.
    Luminary seems to be pretty chill about
    suddenly being a fish
    The minor companion stories were pretty nice, though Sylvando really hogged most of the screentime for those.
    I guess it's in character.
    Looking forward to meeting
    Hendrik
    and seeing how everything that went down changed them.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So if I were to begin playing Dragon Quest 11 again would I be hampered in any way if I do not go around every town breaking every jar and box to maybe find items? Because I can understand treasure chests but putting a billion breakables that might have something in a giant city triggered that feeling of missing something vital because of course they'd hide the good shit in the jars and I'd never find it unless I broke every single one of them.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    So if I were to begin playing Dragon Quest 11 again would I be hampered in any way if I do not go around every town breaking every jar and box to maybe find items? Because I can understand treasure chests but putting a billion breakables that might have something in a giant city triggered that feeling of missing something vital because of course they'd hide the good shit in the jars and I'd never find it unless I broke every single one of them.

You'll be totally fine

Until that one time that you're not

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think, at worst, you’ll miss some stat seeds.

• Options
    Well and mini-medals

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Well and mini-medals

Which in this game you can actually farm off of monsters now so it's not even much of a loss.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Hmm. I think I can use a guide to zero in on these at least. So I'll have to check on that beforehand. If it's just those though and not something like random item needed for side quest twenty hours later and can't get it when it's actually relevant
    Well and mini-medals

And these.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Hmm. I think I can use a guide to zero in on these at least. So I'll have to check on that beforehand. If it's just those though and not something like random item needed for side quest twenty hours later and can't get it when it's actually relevant
    Well and mini-medals

And these.

Let’s face it though, the siren song of smashing pots is too strong and you’ll be breaking them all on purpose soon enough.

• Options

Well and mini-medals

And these.

Let’s face it though, the siren song of smashing pots is too strong and you’ll be breaking them all on purpose soon enough.

When I see them perhaps but I don't want to be hunting for every single one in a giant city. Not unless there's some perk that lets me see which ones have goodies on the minimap or something.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Well (Dragon Quest XI S part 2 spoilers)
    Hendriks and the King have been met
    and i am not impressed.
    I can see how the big bad managed to impersonate the king for 15+ years with nobody noticing.
    I expected remorse, regret, humility, instead i found a forceful asshole giving me orders and calling me a servant.

Apart from change in clothes, Hendrik seems to remain exactly as he was.
    And having him save me in a cutscene (my character is not a novice anymore, do not make him act like one) while offering sage advice from his high horse is not helping.
    I'm probably unkind here, and hopefully the story will give us better glimpses on these characters later on.
    I really expected to like the king, he had everything going for him before we met for potentially interesting character, and he still does to an extenct, but not with this meeting.
    Wonder if localization changed how he talks? I could see someone going from formal but polite Japanese end up sounding like an arrogent dick in english.
    I have more hopes for Hendriks, as he will probably get more screentime, so there is more room for growth and exploration of his character.

I did love the boss monster design though, and meeting
    Gemma, doggo and mom (why am i so bad at names).
    As well as seeing what had been done with the village

The biggest weakness of a silent protagonist is that they can't snark at the npc's.
    Biggest strength of one is that you can imagine them doing so in their head. (which i have been doing heavily)

edit-
    Heliodor throne room, take 2.
    Obviously undead boss monster: as long as i live...
    Me: I have some bad news for you buddy.

Seems my fears about Hendrink were overstated, he is showing character growth.
    Wonder how much the game will explore his loyalty as the flaw that it is? Will be interesting to find out.
    Now to go and find out of the king is about to show some improvement.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Getting near the end of Trails of Cold Steel 1. Just finished the first few missions of Chapter 6. It is still a perfectly mediocre JRPG, but at some point around halfway through I found my motivations for continuing to play kinda got swapped. When I started it, the ensemble cast was...not very good, but I was interested to see what worldbuilding they would do. Somewhere around Chapter 4, though, I started liking the character writing more and the political writing significantly less. It was pretty disappointing to have the game bring up the problems of class warfare (nobility vs commoners) and imperialism, only to have it eventually say, "These things are fine, actually, and the real problems are just the few bad nobles and rulers." So yeah. Surprisingly fond of a few of the characters in Class VII, but incredibly frustrated with the actual plot.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Stuff scattered around the cities was one of my fav things about DQXI.

Probably the best cities/towns in any JRPG in my mind.

Big cities with a reason to actually wander around and explore instead of just walking to the destination.

Verticality and some stuff hidden in ways that feels like little mini puzzles.

But also never so big to feel lost and overwhelmed and never SO many items that it feels impossible without some sorta guide.

Was just super cool to have a reason to spend some time in each town between all the adventuring.

• Options
    DQXI is kinda amazing.
    It is extremely basic, downright formulaic, and it keeps doing things that i would normally hate.
    Yet...
    I don't.
    Almost everything it does is great, and what is not great is at worst tolerable and gets moved past fast enough to not be an issue.
    It is everything i hate about jrpg's, and everything i love about jrpg's at the same time, and in a way that makes me love the things i usually hate.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So I'm playing the original Dragon Quest (aka Dragon Warrior), and it's interesting to see how far jerps have come in the 35-ish years since this came out. It's very much a game about fighting a million things to slowly get enough cash to buy equipment.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    YouTube's algorithm led me to the Legend of Dragoon OST, and man that soundtrack just has nothing going on. Sometimes people express nostalgia for that game and I can't remember a single thing about it.

It got me thinking about other JRPGs that didn't leave much of a mark. I never got very far in Baten Kaitos, I could not abide the ability shouts. AQUA BURST! and LIGHT FLARE! were probably the only thing I remember.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    A lot of JRPG music tends to hinge on That One Song that comes to mind when thinking of it as opposed to entire tracks.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm compared to the last few years this year seems pretty light on jurps.

Probably cause it's a transitional year.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    YouTube's algorithm led me to the Legend of Dragoon OST, and man that soundtrack just has nothing going on. Sometimes people express nostalgia for that game and I can't remember a single thing about it.

It got me thinking about other JRPGs that didn't leave much of a mark. I never got very far in Baten Kaitos, I could not abide the ability shouts. AQUA BURST! and LIGHT FLARE! were probably the only thing I remember.

And then you fight Giacomo and this plays while you fight a sort of middle-aged dude in heavy armor with a scythe:

https://youtu.be/_B64f48ewdo

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Legend of dragoon didn't have that memorable of a soundtrack I guess but the visuals and world and battle system have stuck with me pretty strongly

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Legend of dragoon didn't have that memorable of a soundtrack I guess but the visuals and world and battle system have stuck with me pretty strongly

I remember Legend of Dragoon's theme, and that's about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBabT4hDZts

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I loved this game and i don't remember this song at all. but damn it's good

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I apparently didn't listen far enough to reach that track, because I do enjoy that particular one. I've heard it before and liked it, but didn't particularly associate it with the game.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    chrono cross had an absolute banger of a soundtrack top to bottom

even the games detractors admit that much

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I just blew up xenogears on my big tv and wow that is not a good look for ps1 games. I'm sure some things upscale better than this game's mix of sprite and poly but yeah I might be asking too much of a like 320x320 game (or whatever psx games are)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/rp0a2CE-zMM

Put it in my veeeeeiiiiiiins.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/rp0a2CE-zMM

Put it in my veeeeeiiiiiiins.

Music sounds very on point. Now it's down to how the new combat will play and how good the writing is this time around. This is a small thing, but it's kind of lame that there's a whole system based around changing clothes that is... not at all reflected in the clothes that they're wearing. The first game already did that, but it was also like, sprite graphics, so the expectation isn't really there as much.

• Options

It's not on Youtube but here's the English version.
    Uh wait Minamoto AND Neku are showing up here? So it's not a prequel at all, but it also can't be a sequel can it? Shit I really need to finish TWEWY 1 before this comes out.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

It's not on Youtube but here's the English version.
    Uh wait Minamoto AND Neku are showing up here? So it's not a prequel at all, but it also can't be a sequel can it? Shit I really need to finish TWEWY 1 before this comes out.

Oh! I was preparing to wait resentfully to see how this one turned out because I thought it was only for Switch... but Ps4 as well? That changes things...

• Options
    Yeah I have no reason to buy this on Switch when PS4 is an option. Also it's coming to Epic Game Store at some point, just later.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    This trailer strongly implies time travel is happening (with the "replay the day's events to change the future" bit) and there are
    returning characters one wouldn't expect to return. Wonder if there's any connection there.

I'd like to see some uninterrupted gameplay and get some explanation of the combat. It looks like each of the four characters can only equip one pin.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    More summer releases! pretty crazy how much we are actually getting in summer for once.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    chrono cross had an absolute banger of a soundtrack top to bottom

even the games detractors admit that much

I wanted to like CC so much more than I did, it just wasn't what I wanted from a CT sequel

But yeah that Mitsuda soundtrack is fucking good

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    More summer releases! pretty crazy how much we are actually getting in summer for once.

Well all the fall/spring shit got delayed by covid

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.