Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I actually enjoyed the fishing minigame in Nier, once I actually learned to do it. As the in-game tooltips for it were straight lies and literally false/incorrect information. Not sure if the remake fixed that (hopefully it did).

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I actually enjoyed the fishing minigame in Nier, once I actually learned to do it. As the in-game tooltips for it were straight lies and literally false/incorrect information. Not sure if the remake fixed that (hopefully it did).

I didn't start listening to MBMBaM for a while because Justin's review of Nier was so disparate with what I had experienced.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

The tooltips do not lie to you this time.

And also there's a line in the quest that introduces fishing that says, "Hey, you can't get the fish you need from here, you gotta go to the other beach."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

The tooltips do not lie to you this time.

And also there's a line in the quest that introduces fishing that says, "Hey, you can't get the fish you need from here, you gotta go to the other beach."

cowards

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Dont worry, the flower garden quest is still in and I believe the system clock cheat doesnt work anymore.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Giant Bomb quick look for Nier Replicant starts almost immediately before fishing is introduced, and I'm not gonna lie I was holding my breath

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Two unicorn men have tried to kill or kidnap me like 3 times in an hour today. And it's somehow great?

I don't I can't put it into words, but the scenario writing and just the dialogue in this game (bof3) won't stop charming me

While muscly unicorn bros are great, I'mma need to know your stance on sushi production.

Also do you like fishing

BoF III and IV have the best fishing mini games. If BoF was revived as a mobile gacha fishing game, that might be okay with me

I've enjoyed it so far. i haven't found any of the coins to fish up the guy so it's mostly just "here's a pile of fish for healing and hoarding" so far

There's only like 5 coins in the entire game, but there is one in like the very first dungeon (the mountain area with the nue boss). You also keep the coin so long as you don't fuck up the reel-in or the like, and there is an in-game way to duplicate items as well (fairy village stuff). But you can theoretically screw yourself out of all manillo shops if you sufficiently fuck up and waste or sell all the coins.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Two unicorn men have tried to kill or kidnap me like 3 times in an hour today. And it's somehow great?

I don't I can't put it into words, but the scenario writing and just the dialogue in this game (bof3) won't stop charming me

While muscly unicorn bros are great, I'mma need to know your stance on sushi production.

Also do you like fishing

BoF III and IV have the best fishing mini games. If BoF was revived as a mobile gacha fishing game, that might be okay with me

I've enjoyed it so far. i haven't found any of the coins to fish up the guy so it's mostly just "here's a pile of fish for healing and hoarding" so far

There's only like 5 coins in the entire game, but there is one in like the very first dungeon (the mountain area with the nue boss). You also keep the coin so long as you don't fuck up the reel-in or the like, and there is an in-game way to duplicate items as well (fairy village stuff). But you can theoretically screw yourself out of all manillo shops if you sufficiently fuck up and waste or sell all the coins.

ahh damn then i just missed that first one. it's weird. the dungeon areas in this game feel so open i just know i'm missing things but it's too open for me to obsess about checking every nook

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Also do you like fishing

ahh damn then i just missed that first one. it's weird. the dungeon areas in this game feel so open i just know i'm missing things but it's too open for me to obsess about checking every nook

Checking Google, if you're still doing all the Balio/Sunder stuff, then the next one I believe should be in the obligatory colosseum area in one of the lockers. If you're past that, then the next is in a random lighthouse in Beyd's town.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    After Last Bastion and Heliodor Castle
    So Hendrik is the last party member huh? The title cutscene did a good job keeping that bit hidden, though when the game gives me a damn good Axe to craft and I have nobody that can even use Axes then I kinda had to wonder a bit up until that big speech to Jasper.

Oh, and apparently nobody in Cobblestone actually died. That was a bit surprising. Turns out Hendrik stopped Jasper from massacring everyone because Jasper is a jealous asshole who only ever thought of himself and I will be very happy to send him to hell.

Now it's onwards to Pang Lai! After I do some exploration and forging. Hendrik got a swanky new shield that I think I can improve on a bit.

• Options
    Some other stuff during return to Heliodor Castle after Last Bastion
    I noticed during the cutscene where the Hero interacted with the Root of Yggdrasil that the Mark of Light was back on his hand and it shone. But...that shouldn't be possible. The cutscene with Mordegon was very explicit that he took the Luminary's power and mantle from our soul. The Mark of Light dissolved off our hand and appeared on his, enabling him to do his whole thing with the Heart and Sword. Hell even looking in the skill tree the entire Luminary branch is completely gone. Not locked out, darkened, inaccessible, just literally it doesn't exist anymore. So how is it the Hero still has the Mark and it can still interact with Yggdrasil? Is it something that'll be explained or was this a whoopsy by the artist team?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Madican wrote: »
    Some other stuff during return to Heliodor Castle after Last Bastion
    I noticed during the cutscene where the Hero interacted with the Root of Yggdrasil that the Mark of Light was back on his hand and it shone. But...that shouldn't be possible. The cutscene with Mordegon was very explicit that he took the Luminary's power and mantle from our soul. The Mark of Light dissolved off our hand and appeared on his, enabling him to do his whole thing with the Heart and Sword. Hell even looking in the skill tree the entire Luminary branch is completely gone. Not locked out, darkened, inaccessible, just literally it doesn't exist anymore. So how is it the Hero still has the Mark and it can still interact with Yggdrasil? Is it something that'll be explained or was this a whoopsy by the artist team?
    Not a whoopsie.
    Won't say more to avoid spoilers unless specifically asked.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I fucking love the BoF 3&4 fishing minigames. I really like the cast spread of both games, as well, but yeah, some characters are just better than the others.

BoF4's endgame kind of felt rushed, which is a shame, give characters like Scias and Ursula with excellent designs and barely anything to do.

• Options
    I haven't looked up too many spoilers but I've seen the character sprites in this game and one of them is just a big onion!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I haven't looked up too many spoilers but I've seen the character sprites in this game and one of them is just a big onion!

If I remember right, that's the one that has such an absurdly thigh agility stat, that if you put them at the head of the formation where all members have the same agility as the leader, the whole party will get 2 turns before most enemies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

If I remember right, that's the one that has such an absurdly thigh agility stat, that if you put them at the head of the formation where all members have the same agility as the leader, the whole party will get 2 turns before most enemies.

Peco is absurdly broken powerful for a lot of reasons.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I fucking love the BoF 3&4 fishing minigames. I really like the cast spread of both games, as well, but yeah, some characters are just better than the others.

BoF4's endgame kind of felt rushed, which is a shame, give characters like Scias and Ursula with excellent designs and barely anything to do.

Fishing and cooking are both things that I love to see in my JRPGs.

Suikoden II and Star Ocean 2 were my jams.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    BoF III is the reason I'm always disappointed by "fishing" in games that's just timing a button press when your bobber moves. Looking at you, FE:3H and Hades.

• Options
    FF15 doesn't get enough credit for its fishing

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular

Almost, I think - at the start Rei the tiger will be your point person because Peco starts at friggin level 1 with poor starting stats and has to catch up, but with the right master and enough levels he can be a onion wrecking ball.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I love that noctis completely geeks out over fishing of all things

• Options
    Personally I always did a slow, super bulky Peco at the front of Attack formation for 100% counterattack

• Options
    Personally I always did a slow, super bulky Peco at the front of Attack formation for 100% counterattack

Yeah. Peco's stat growth and other invisible mechanics (eg counter rate) are so ridiculous and lopsided that it's likely they're legitimate programming errors. The only way to really fuck him up is to set him to a mage master or the like that neuters his defense growth.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

My big issue with fishing in FF15 was that there were not worthwhile game related reasons to be doing it.

Gimme some fishing tournaments with some cool rewards.

I don't wanna play a mini-game without cool rewards no matter how well made the mini-game is.

• Options
    Conversely there's Trails in the Sky 2 fishing where if you're dedicated enough you can fish up endgame accessories in an early area

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I have begun Trails of Cold Steel IV. I mean I'm 28 Hours in, which is really just getting my foot in the door.
    I do still like running around, clearing through a map or dungeon, fiddling with the quartzs etc.
    I really wish some of the tropey groping stuff was not there.
    Somehow still having "we'll get you later" fights in part IV of this plot.
    Still like the world despite it feeling more weightless than usual.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Just beat Dragon Quest VIII (meaning I saw the credits) but not the Dragovian Trials yet. Do I have to level 99 to beat the trials?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I have begun Trails of Cold Steel IV. I mean I'm 28 Hours in, which is really just getting my foot in the door.
    I do still like running around, clearing through a map or dungeon, fiddling with the quartzs etc.
    I really wish some of the tropey groping stuff was not there.
    Somehow still having "we'll get you later" fights in part IV of this plot.
    Still like the world despite it feeling more weightless than usual.

Just got True Ending on Normal myself at 115.5 hours. I get the weight thing at the beginning, but I thought some of that got rectified as the story progressed in terms of how the towns/cities changed.

Time for the Nightmare run to round out achievements and then wait on word for Hajimari's localization.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition was 80% off today on Steam (so $10 instead of $50), so I pulled the plug and bought it. I don't really know anything about it but I have heard good things and I can sometimes throw $10 at a game based on fun art & a good rep.

When will I play it?

Ahaha

Who is to say...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    continuing BoF3 adventure. i haven't been able to play super much but I just got to momo's tower and OMG momo learn how to hit something with your giant bazooka.

some of these random fights are quite hard the early game is not messing around. and also the encounter rate being this high is not a design decision i miss from the past

• Options
    continuing BoF3 adventure. i haven't been able to play super much but I just got to momo's tower and OMG momo learn how to hit something with your giant bazooka.

some of these random fights are quite hard the early game is not messing around. and also the encounter rate being this high is not a design decision i miss from the past

Yeeeah, Momo is a pain in the ass to use because of her innate low accuracy. There are skills that can mitigate that, but she's generally more useful as a support mage.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Get Shadow Walk with Momo and that instantly solves all of her problems

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter Stories is on sale for $5 on Google Play and iOS for those who don't mind mobile. It's basically a rad pokemon so there isn't any super precision needed it you're bad with touch controls.

It's also very good! Good time to poke at it to see if you're interested enough to get the sequel in a month or two.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition was 80% off today on Steam (so $10 instead of $50), so I pulled the plug and bought it. I don't really know anything about it but I have heard good things and I can sometimes throw $10 at a game based on fun art & a good rep.

When will I play it?

Ahaha

Who is to say...
    Thanks for the headsup.
    Tales of Berseria is also on sale.
    So i got them both.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    13 year old me had the biggest crush on Momo back when BoF3 was new, and then an even bigger one for Ursula.

I really ought to play BoF3 again some time.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I've been feeling to urge to get back into JRPGs after a lengthy hiatus (not counting, like, Soulslikes). Weird that I barely touch them now, when once upon a time my top five games list was along the lines of like, Ar Tonelico 2, Radiata Stories, FF7, KH2, and Tales of Abyss. Back when I could pirate or emulate anything before the PS3, and only played JRPGs and MMOs, and thus had played almost literally every (traditional) JRPG (with a story) on the consoles before that.

So I picked up Tales of Vesperia on sale after double checking that it wasn't one of the downer ones, since I have trouble keeping track of which are which.

...oh hey it's the subtexty one.

In my head of the Tales I haven't played there's, uh, the downer
    antihero one, the generic one, the subtexty one, the bleak one with timelines or parallel universes or something, and the other downer one I always forget,
    and the one I actually forget even exists like I forget that I've forgotten it (Hearts) (oh right because Vita).

Kamar on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Vesperia is the antihero one until it just drops it and it isn't.

Abyss is a downer.

Xillia is kinda generic.

Xillia 2 is pretty much explicitly about the MC being a terrible person actually.

Berseria again tries and fails to do an antihero story.

Zestiria is probably what people around these parts would call generic though I quite liked it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Oh theres nothing anti- about Yuri's heroics

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Vesperia is the antihero one until it just drops it and it isn't.

Abyss is a downer.

Xillia is kinda generic.

Xillia 2 is pretty much explicitly about the MC being a terrible person actually.

Berseria again tries and fails to do an antihero story.

Zestiria is probably what people around these parts would call generic though I quite liked it

Looking it up, I was thinking: Berseria, Graces, Vesperia, the Xillias, Zestiria.

Abyss wasn't on my list since I played it, and I don't think of it as much of a downer. I mean it has lots of downer stuff in it but I felt good about the ending overall, so that's what lingers. I'm a very ending-focused sorta person.

• Options
    Is there a JRPG that's neither a war between countries, a looming world ending catastrophe, or a "punch God" situation? There's "mysterious conspiracy / agency", but usually that transforms to the latter two, I feel. (Use spoilers if necessary)

This discussion has been closed.