Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Legend of Mana is a game almost contemptuous of the fact that you might want to see all of it's content

Enjoy placing lands next to each other and locking yourself out of rare items!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I somehow forgot the nier remake was coming out today, so I started that, but really I’m just standing next to devola and listening to her sing.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Legend of Mana is a game almost contemptuous of the fact that you might want to see all of it's content

Enjoy placing lands next to each other and locking yourself out of rare items!

Been thinking about this a little today and I wonder if they do something to, uh, ease this process

Like maybe allowing you to pick lands back up or something

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I somehow forgot the nier remake was coming out today, so I started that, but really I’m just standing next to devola and listening to her sing.

This is the correct way to play, imo.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Madican wrote: »
    After Yggdrasil
    Surprise surprise, coming to the tree was actually a mistake, Jasper really was evil because color-coded magic, and now it's World of Ruin FF6 style. Though it's always kind of annoying how the Light power is supposedly the bane of the Dark power, yet for whatever reason the Dark power is often able to overpower if not completely shut out the Light powers. Also if Yggdrasil is truly sentient in some way then why in the hell did it let Jasper, Hendrik, and Carnelian ever come up that rainbow road after the heroes? Surely it could sense one of them is possessed by the literal Dark Lord.

Well whatever, plot fiat I suppose. Now it's time to snap Sylvando out of his funk and go catch some fish for grandpa or something.
    It is somewhat contrived yes.
    The question that i keep asking instead is, What does it tell us about Carnelian, that a dark lord can just take him over and nobody notices?

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I started with Tales of Destiny and it's probably still one of my favorites.

The cast is great, the story is pretty good, the combat with the manual setting is amazing. Talking swords is like a box to tick in every game, I feel. You just lose a point for not having it. So Destiny wins there too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Symphonia's my first Tales game and my favorite. I have a strong emotional attachment to the game due to good memories of playing through it in co-op with friends my first time through it, and with my sister for a number of playthroughs. The game is also great on its own merits, of course. I love the setting, the characters, the battle system, the art style, pretty much everything about it. My desk is adorned with the figurines that came from the Symphonia Chronicles collectors edition from a few years back.

Vesperia is tied as my favorite. I couldn't choose between them. The game is gorgeous and I love the setting, characters, and battle system as much or more than Symphonia. I marathoned the recent port of the game to 100% completion and loved every moment of it. I even rewatched the prequel movie.

I also hold Xillia, its sequel, and Berseria high up in my regard. Of the other games, I've played Eternia, Abyss, Graces f, Symphonia 2, and Zesteria, with more mixed feelings. The Tales games are video game comfort food, and even duds like Zesteria I still enjoyed enough to play through to the end.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah it was Tales of Destiny 2...not Phantasia I knew that wasn't right but I couldn't remember the proper name.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Jade and Erik interludes. Also Rab.
    Hrm. Was it really necessary to stick Jade in yet another bunny suit enslaved by a monster? I thought these interludes were supposed to be character development, not developer's not-so-secret fetish corner.

Meanwhile Erik gets some massive character hints to his past, potential power, and connection to someone who seems to be very important to everything going on just before his memories are stripped away as the price. Not to mention the talks about monsters fighting the Watchers and the Spectral Sentinel stuff. Some marked difference from Jade's.

Edit: Oh boy and THIS is how Rab's starts huh.

Madican on
  • Options
    Jade and Erik interludes. Also Rab.
    Hrm. Was it really necessary to stick Jade in yet another bunny suit enslaved by a monster? I thought these interludes were supposed to be character development, not developer's not-so-secret fetish corner.

Meanwhile Erik gets some massive character hints to his past, potential power, and connection to someone who seems to be very important to everything going on just before his memories are stripped away as the price. Not to mention the talks about monsters fighting the Watchers and the Spectral Sentinel stuff. Some marked difference from Jade's.

Edit: Oh boy and THIS is how Rab's starts huh.
    Yeah, i love the game, but there are bits i am not a fan of.
    Loved Eriks interlude, it really setup things and gave you a better picture into him.
    Jade's, was not so great.
    This game can swing between very chaste, and very, very thirsty in ways that can be quite jarring.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    After Yggdrasil
    Surprise surprise, coming to the tree was actually a mistake, Jasper really was evil because color-coded magic, and now it's World of Ruin FF6 style. Though it's always kind of annoying how the Light power is supposedly the bane of the Dark power, yet for whatever reason the Dark power is often able to overpower if not completely shut out the Light powers. Also if Yggdrasil is truly sentient in some way then why in the hell did it let Jasper, Hendrik, and Carnelian ever come up that rainbow road after the heroes? Surely it could sense one of them is possessed by the literal Dark Lord.

Well whatever, plot fiat I suppose. Now it's time to snap Sylvando out of his funk and go catch some fish for grandpa or something.
    The question that i keep asking instead is, What does it tell us about Carnelian, that a dark lord can just take him over and nobody notices?
    well he did act basically normal for 18ish years after being possessed. Lot of time to build up a trust buffer

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    After Yggdrasil

well he did act basically normal for 18ish years after being possessed. Lot of time to build up a trust buffer

That goes bit further than Madican has played yet so i left the answer out for a reason.
    Though his behaviour after you meet him post possession makes him no favours.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    After Yggdrasil

That goes bit further than Madican has played yet so i left the answer out for a reason.
    Iiiiii... didn't really think anything of it? He gives you a quest but he's very much asking you to go, and he gives you basically the countries most valuable treasure. He's just doing a DQ 1 and 2 callback.

I mean it's not like the Luminary is gonna say no, in for a penny in for a pound and all.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    After Yggdrasil

Iiiiii... didn't really think anything of it? He gives you a quest but he's very much asking you to go, and he gives you basically the countries most valuable treasure. He's just doing a DQ 1 and 2 callback.

I mean it's not like the Luminary is gonna say no, in for a penny in for a pound and all.
    Might just be me, but i do not appreciate being called servant by someone i have not agreed to work for.
    And more, humility and regret, and less condescension and arrogance, from the people who burned down my home village and helped destroy the worldtree (looking at you Hendrik) might be in order.
    Hendrik started to grow on me during the castle, a bit, i still don't actually like him.
    The king, eh, still on two minds about him.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My first Ys was Ark of Naphishtim, which is... 5? The chronology of Ys is super fucked.

To me it was like Link to the Past with faster combat and no puzzles. It was fantastic.

Then I played Ys Oath in Felghana, which also feels great but has a slightly different magic/buff system that makes it unique.

Ys VII to me is the last of that "generation" of top-down action rpg installments. 8 changed them camera perspective and really seemed to drag on with too much story. I suspect 9 is the same.

I haven't played Celceta.

Ys Origin is also good, but I don't think I ever finished it because the steam version had some gamepad input issues.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ark is Ys VI. It was the game that reminded me the Ys series existed, and I went into a deep hole trying to play them again.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    oath and origins felt very much like alternate takes on link to the past style zeldas. I finished both of them with keyboard control, which might have been crazy?

• Options
    DQ XI, band back together and sidequests done (except the tickington ones).
    I usually do not advocate for removing content, especially optional stuff, but honestly they could have removed like half of these.
    Time to
    go find some crafting materials on my goddamn skywhale.
    Like, the reveal of the skywhale was bonkers in the best possible way.

• Options
    BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL,
    that is not how you make a sword.
    I'll give you pass for being entertaining.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So I started up the NieR remake today. Never played the original release, but I love Automata.

It's interesting playing this game for the first time with the knowledge you learn in Automata.

There's a lot of stuff that I already know that I'm assuming will be revelations later in the game, but I'm guessing there will still be a bunch of stuff in here I don't know that Yoko Taro will use to make me depressed as shit.

Looking forward to it.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Monster hunter stories 2 is coming out in July and it looks amazing.

Legend of Mana remaster in June is probably the high point of the year for me. I'd often load it up on my vita for a replay every year or two but now I'll have a shiny new version!

Oh man, they're doing a LoM remaster? I loved/ hated that game so much.

Just a whole bunch of interesting stuff mixed in with actually baffling systems. Maybe in high res I'll actually be able to see what's going on in the sprites and backgrounds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So, if SaGa Frontier remaster is any indication, they may just paste arrows onto the backgrounds to show you where exits and things to interact with are, which works pretty well.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So I started up the NieR remake today. Never played the original release, but I love Automata.

It's interesting playing this game for the first time with the knowledge you learn in Automata.

There's a lot of stuff that I already know that I'm assuming will be revelations later in the game, but I'm guessing there will still be a bunch of stuff in here I don't know that Yoko Taro will use to make me depressed as shit.

Looking forward to it.

interestingly, there is a bunch of stuff in nier 1 that comes off as huge revelations in automata

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL,
    that is not how you make a sword.
    I'll give you pass for being entertaining.

Look DQ11 is suppose to harken back to more classic JRPGs of yore there was no way
    We weren't going to get a Power of Friendship moment. At least here they use it to forge a sword.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Dragon Quest 11. Post Game stuff
    The silent protagonist thing is starting to wear thin. Just Tell everyone the king is possessed! Just fucking say the words

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Rab's interlude
    Honestly? Not bad after that initial "Okay...why" introduction to it. Got to see some of his memories, slowly realize they're not memories, and then the reveal of Grand Master Paang. I assume she's on that monastery I couldn't reach before near Costa Valor. So he's going through training from hell to become stronger.

After interludes
    Hmm. This all seems rather fishy.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rab's interlude
    Honestly? Not bad after that initial "Okay...why" introduction to it. Got to see some of his memories, slowly realize they're not memories, and then the reveal of Grand Master Paang. I assume she's on that monastery I couldn't reach before near Costa Valor. So he's going through training from hell to become stronger.

After interludes
    Hmm. This all seems rather fishy.
    That may be the best way of reaching the "come back later" chests ever.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Two unicorn men have tried to kill or kidnap me like 3 times in an hour today. And it's somehow great?

I don't I can't put it into words, but the scenario writing and just the dialogue in this game (bof3) won't stop charming me

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I have reached the dark lords castle in Dragon Quest XI.
    And it is absolutely the worst part of the game.
    Not because of any story or gameplay considerations, but because of constant lightning flashes making the screen flicker.
    I was actually worried my graphics card was about to die for a while (it's kinda on its last legs as it is, and i am currently refusing to pay 800 euros for a new one of equal or greater quality).
    Need to actually take a break after hour and half of wandering in that place.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    *googles Scarlet Nexus*
    I get to pick between genders for a protagonist? Instant interest boost.
    I also like the character designs.
    *adds to steam wishlist*
    Need to take a closer look later.

It's not gender's, they're two separate characters. One's Anime protagonist boy and the female lead is the mysterious mentor character who saved protagonist-kun and brought him into the psychic...life..thing.

• Options
    *googles Scarlet Nexus*
    I get to pick between genders for a protagonist? Instant interest boost.
    I also like the character designs.
    *adds to steam wishlist*
    Need to take a closer look later.

It's not gender's, they're two separate characters. One's Anime protagonist boy and the female lead is the mysterious mentor character who saved protagonist-kun and brought him into the psychic...life..thing.
    I guess i should have said that i can pick between protagonists of different genders for accuracy.
    Not sure if we can play the whole game through on one character of if it is just the start and then end up switching.
    As said, need to take a closer look later.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Two unicorn men have tried to kill or kidnap me like 3 times in an hour today. And it's somehow great?

I don't I can't put it into words, but the scenario writing and just the dialogue in this game (bof3) won't stop charming me

While muscly unicorn bros are great, I'mma need to know your stance on sushi production.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mordegon is dead.
    Not the best fight of the game.
    In fact, i would call this bossfight downright mediocre.
    Not bad, as such, or necesasrily unfair, but tedious, hits hard enough that i need to be constantly healing (and can one shot a character depending on who he hits), heals his both halves for 1k at times, resurrects his other half, keeps removing your buffs and putting debuffs on you.

But even with all that, main threat was me running out of mp. Really should have been carrying some mp potions.
    Still one shot him though.
    The aftermath though
    was great, loved the cutscene of the escape and Ygdrassil coming back to life, and everyone meeting their family during credits was nice.

Need to decide on if i want to start doing the aftergame bit, or take a break and play something else for a bit.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'm nearing the end of Dragon Quest 8. Just need to go to the black citadel. Afterwards I might continue with either Bravely Default or a Ys game.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    I could play Trials of Mana, i have the remake of that.
    Or Atelier Ryza, haven't finished that but i think i'm past halfway, though i keep bouncing of it because i keep getting trapped in a gather/craft loop.
    Tales of Zestiria is an option, i played it for 30 minutes in 2017 and never opened it since.
    Could buy Tales of Berseria, it looks lot more interesting than Zestiria.
    Or Ys VIII looks not terrible and never played one of those.

Or turn on switch and get back to Fire Emblem 3 Houses, or Pokemon Shield, or try to finish Octopath (need to get started on 3rd acts).

I'm terrible at finishing games these days.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Mordegon is dead.
    Not bad, as such, or necesasrily unfair, but tedious, hits hard enough that i need to be constantly healing (and can one shot a character depending on who he hits), heals his both halves for 1k at times, resurrects his other half, keeps removing your buffs and putting debuffs on you.

But even with all that, main threat was me running out of mp. Really should have been carrying some mp potions.
    The aftermath though
    was great, loved the cutscene of the escape and Ygdrassil coming back to life, and everyone meeting their family during credits was nice.

Need to decide on if i want to start doing the aftergame bit, or take a break and play something else for a bit.
    I wouldn't call where you're at post game, the story very much continues

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Carpy wrote: »
    Mordegon is dead.

The aftermath though

I wouldn't call where you're at post game, the story very much continues
    I know, heard enough spoilers to know there is quite a bit of story left. Also all the time travel quests.
    But i think i need a break, i have played a lot of this game past week.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I'm At 90+ hours coming to the final part of Trails of Cold Steel IV. Having played the series since the Sky, the nostalgia of the traditional party-before-end-of-game is very good, but I am also laughing at how long the list of possible final character events is.

I also want to say I appreciate the game enabling my need to talk to every NPC every time their dialogue changes by specifically telling me which areas have new text.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

While muscly unicorn bros are great, I'mma need to know your stance on sushi production.

Also do you like fishing

BoF III and IV have the best fishing mini games. If BoF was revived as a mobile gacha fishing game, that might be okay with me

Delzhand on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Also do you like fishing

BoF III and IV have the best fishing mini games. If BoF was revived as a mobile gacha fishing game, that might be okay with me

I've enjoyed it so far. i haven't found any of the coins to fish up the guy so it's mostly just "here's a pile of fish for healing and hoarding" so far

This discussion has been closed.