As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Second Impeachment] Acquitted of Armed Insurrection | 57 Votes for Guilty

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why it matters whether or not Pelosi and the Dems do impeachment if nothing changes because not enough Republicans will vote to convict?

Politics is like 90% messaging

Also messaging is really easy when it’s “death of the Republic” type of stuff

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why it matters whether or not Pelosi and the Dems do impeachment if nothing changes because not enough Republicans will vote to convict?

It's just politics at that point, but it does directly tie the Republican party as a whole to an armed insurrection, as well to whatever else Trump pulls in the near future.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

What message do you think would ring louder:

Pursue impeachment and expulsions once the new Congress is seated

Or

Delivering relief to average people relating to the economy and covid-19

To me I have no doubt which of these priorities is more important - you don't worry about your bills when your house is burning down around you - but what's going to matter more to most voters?

Edit: I know you're not responsible for/don't run shit but I'm curious to know which one is going to play better to the masses.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

It is, generally, a bad look when your reaction to a mob incited to attack you is “well... I guess we’ll just move on then.”

Especially when it’s a known element that said mob is now planning another go at it in a week, according to a major social media firm.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It’s almost like we can do two things at once

And also like normal business is kind of meaningless when the fuckos can show up on your doorstep and disrupt your “normal business” with little consequence whenever they feel like it

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Impeachment in the house will happen then Dems will say we can't convict right now so push it out and get Biden in office and do Xyz urgent things then we'll have the senate trial and blah blah evidence but in April it will be "too distracting" to continue and besides, Trump is gone anyway.

How you get people to polls in 2022 by being the cowardly adult in the room is beyond me.

How do you look at how republicans handle scandals for decades and learn zero Fucking lessons.

• Options
    “Well you literally charged into the legislative seat for the nation with the intent to do god only knows what to us, with our saving grace literally being 10 feet to an open door where we were evacuating and the fact y’all were able to be fooled into chasing a cop who realized there was literally ten feet between us and diverted you so we could escape.

But our colleagues are much too a mix of chicken shit and conniving bastards who think they will be pyromancers if they keep playing with fire enough to actually do anything, so we’re just gonna pretend things are fine now.”

Not... a healthy state for democracy

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Forbes reporter. Going with a resolution to request Pence to invoke the 25th, then 24 hours, then impeachment.

Which is silly because he's not going to do it. But maybe Kinzinger insisted and they wanted a couple Republican votes.

Pelosi already called on Pence to invoke the 25th, before the weekend!

This is a stalling tactic, and it's why I've kept fucking saying that talk is fucking cheap and I'm not going to trust what people like Pelosi or Schumer until they actually do the damn thing!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    discrider wrote: »
    The 14th amendment being how you would get 2/3 to convict as far as I can see.
    Expel those that participated in inciting the insurrection and then hold the vote.

At its most generous interpretation (expelling all 12 who planned on voting to reject at least one state; as opposed to those who ended up doing so), that would make the required vote 59, I think.

More realistically it would be the 8 who ended up voting for one, which means you need 62.

Most realistically you get just Cruz and Hawley, leaving you needing 66.

Just need to implement Phalla logic.
    You defend the insurrectionists, you're an insurrectionist.

Maybe bring all the Republicans back into the chamber after the impeachment conviction.

I Don't expect this to happen though.

discrider on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Impeachment in the house will happen then Dems will say we can't convict right now so push it out and get Biden in office and do Xyz urgent things then we'll have the senate trial and blah blah evidence but in April it will be "too distracting" to continue and besides, Trump is gone anyway.

How you get people to polls in 2022 by being the cowardly adult in the room is beyond me.

How do you look at how republicans handle scandals for decades and learn zero Fucking lessons.

for like the billionth time, it may be not the best choice to set the date 100 days from now, but once the date is set, it cannot be ignored

the trial is required to begin on that date

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    You impeach because the legislative branch has to defend itself.

You can lose a vote in the short term but have it lead to victories long term. And "victory" here is stopping the next attack.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Or

To me I have no doubt which of these priorities is more important - you don't worry about your bills when your house is burning down around you - but what's going to matter more to most voters?

Edit: I know you're not responsible for/don't run shit but I'm curious to know which one is going to play better to the masses.

THESE ARE BOTH IMPORTANT THINGS

CONGRESS IS CAPABLE OF DOING BOTH IMPORTANT THINGS.

FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THE STARS IN THE COSMOS, WE DON’T HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE BETWEEN “STOP COVID RELATED DEATHS AND MISERY” AND “STOP FASCISM”

This isn’t the fucking intro to Saints Row the IV.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Fuckin’ Keith David walks up to Nancy Pelosi and asks her if she wants to put forward the Fuck COVID bill or the Fuck Fascism bill. You cannot choose both, apparently, because the game designers of America thought that would be a quaint riff on US politics that way.

What the fuck

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »

Or

FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THE STARS IN THE COSMOS, WE DON’T HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE BETWEEN “STOP COVID RELATED DEATHS AND MISERY” AND “STOP FASCISM”

“You can either save the Republic... or AMERICAN LIVES!

NOW CHOOSE, SPIDER MAN!”

• Options

Or

“You can either save the Republic... or AMERICAN LIVES!

NOW CHOOSE, SPIDER MAN!”

Spoiler: Both he saved both of them. Because he realized weird binary choices were fucking Trolley Problem bullshit and didn’t actually exist in regards to the practical application of his capacity to help others

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    A member of the Democratic party should have been standing in the middle of the Senate calling Republicans fucking cowards. That's the appropriate response. All the hand wringing and harrumphing makes me want to storm the fucking place and scream at them.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Democrats will control and House, Senate, and White House. I dont need to hear any arguments about how we have to pick either relief checks or impeachment.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If what you want is an impeachment trial immediately it is a weird binary because the Senate can't do a damn thing till the trial is over.

The only way to "both" it would be to run a bunch of investigations while delaying the trial. Which still leaves questions about how effective the delayed vote will be.

• Options
    Democrats will control and House, Senate, and White House. I dont need to hear any arguments about how we have to pick either relief checks or impeachment.

The fucking political capital argument was ludicrous when it was about choosing between necessary policy measures that could both be implemented should Congress choose to pursue them instead of the bizarre, nihilistic, and defeatist attitude inherent to political capital arguments.

When posited as an unavoidable choice between necessary policy and the defense of a democratic organ against a fascist putsch it is suicidal.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

If it's true the Senate can't do anything else while impeachment is running... they do kinda have to pick one.

But is it true?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

If it's true the Senate can't do anything else while impeachment is running... they do kinda have to pick one.

But is it true?

arguable as it only stops Senate business for a sitting President, but if it started when the President was the sitting President and continues after he's no longer the sitting President, then

shrugmoji

Chanus on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

But is it true?

As we've already seen, the Senate proceedings dont need to be lengthy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Genuine question, can the Senate take up other business during the trial?

My assumption was no, they can not.

And if it's not clear, my question was a matter of ordering, not choosing.

We must do both, but if the Senate is shut down during the trial, the question becomes which fire do you put out first

• Options

But is it true?

There is nothing I am aware of that constitutionally mandates that during Impeachment that the Senate can only do Impeachment Shit.

Devote half your day to the impeachment, devote half your day to COVID shit, I don’t fucking know how you want to divvy up the time but humans are very capable of doing multiple tasks in a single fucking day each day at a time

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

But is it true?

If they're the sitting president, yes. If they're a cabinet official or the former president, my understanding from reading people who know things is no, the Senate can do other stuff as well.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

We must do both, but if the Senate is shut down during the trial, the question becomes which fire do you put out first

Existential threat to the republic, or not-existential threat to the republic

gee, this is really tough to triage

Orca on
  • Options
    edited January 2021

But is it true?

If they're the sitting president, yes. If they're a cabinet official or the former president, my understanding from reading people who know things is no, the Senate can do other stuff as well.

But is this constitutional, or is this the MUCH more malleable realm of Senate Rules? Because I have no recollection that the constitution demands that during Impeachment that the impeachment be the sole focus of the Senate’s attention

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Both major legislative bodies constantly do piles and piles of work on bills in parallel and simultaneously. That's why there are committees and shit, so they can break the work down and do a couple dozen things at once instead of tying an entire chamber to working on one thing at a time. Even if they just split the Democrat legislator numbers down the middle in each chamber to work on just COVID relief and just the impeachment, that would be pretty overkill for what they normally do to get things done.

• Options
    Both major legislative bodies constantly do piles and piles of work on bills in parallel and simultaneously. That's why there are committees and shit, so they can break the work down and do a couple dozen things at once instead of tying an entire chamber to working on one thing at a time. Even if they just split the Democrat legislator numbers down the middle in each chamber to work on just COVID relief and just the impeachment, that would be pretty overkill for what they normally do to get things done.

impeachment is different

it's not a choice

but it is likely not the case that it matters if the trial is after Trump is no longer President

• Options
    edited January 2021
    The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

There’s nothing in here that indicates that impeachment shall be the sole focus of the attention of the Senate during the impeachment process, so I’m going to guess then that this is Senate Rules shit, which can be changed by the majority of the Senate, if it’s even actually a thing to begin with other than just yet another fucking norm.

Why are we being made to debate what seems to be a false choice, other than to invite recalcitrance in the face of, again, a literal fascist putsch and subsequent planned putsches because we’re scared the Republicans will do a mean thing again

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Is there anything stopping Pence from 25th-ing Trump if impeachment is already happening?

Unless, as ebum is pondering, this was an ask to get some R senators on board, it seems kind of a waste of time

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Is there anything stopping Pence from 25th-ing Trump if impeachment is already happening?

Unless, as ebum is pondering, this was an ask to get some R senators on board, it seems kind of a waste of time

There is not, particularly given that the 25th has a grand total of four days to last unless approved by congress

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

Hey Orca, I've indicated in every post pretty much I believe impeachment should come first. It's what I would do if my choice mattered.

I'm asking for an opinion on what people think the better political decision is*

*A decision I thought necessary due to parliamentary bullshit

This is the part of the post where I break my resolution

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Hey Orca, I've indicated in every post pretty much I believe impeachment should come first. It's what I would do if my choice mattered.

I'm asking for an opinion on what people think the better political decision is*

*A decision I thought necessary due to parliamentary bullshit

This is the part of the post where I break my resolution

My answer doesn't change. Sounds like the arithmetic does for Pelosi et. al, or they wouldn't be mooting a 100 day pause.

• Options
    Also, borrowing this post from the Coup thread:
    Shivahn wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Tump's followers will not be sitting around for 100 days. They will definitely commit acts of terror.

I'm 100% expecting some shit to go down on or right before inauguration day. Maybe not in DC now but something.

Yeah, the 6th was intense, there has been a weird lull for a few days, but I am definitely going to be feeling a lot better after inauguration. Not because something can't happen after, but because people are going to try something before.

There was an armed mass at the Kentucky Governor's mansion threatening Beshear just yesterday.

This shit isn’t just the national Capitol.

This shit is happening around the country.

Hell, before this, terrorists planned to kidnap the governor of Michigan, seize the state capitol, and hold and broadcast live executions of state legislators.

We Have A Significant Problem

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    We just keep fucking moving on, moving on, moving on past every escalating step in a right wing terror movement, and then getting shocked and flabbergasted when there’s another goddamn one, bigger than the last.

No fucking shit, because we don’t do jack to stop it and we keep coddling the Republicans officials and media figures inciting it

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

There’s nothing in here that indicates that impeachment shall be the sole focus of the attention of the Senate during the impeachment process, so I’m going to guess then that this is Senate Rules shit, which can be changed by the majority of the Senate, if it’s even actually a thing to begin with other than just yet another fucking norm.

Why are we being made to debate what seems to be a false choice, other than to invite recalcitrance in the face of, again, a literal fascist putsch and subsequent planned putsches because we’re scared the Republicans will do a mean thing again

It would be a real fucking bad look for Democratic senators to be skipping out on impeachment hearings. While multiple things can and should be going on, while there are impeachment hearings going on, every senator damn well better be at them, and giving them their full attention.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

We're not being made to debate anything, but it's not exactly a giant leap to get to that position considering how two of the three impeachments in our history - which most of us here lived through - have gone.

At the end of the day were all fairly like minded but also bored and self absorbed in a way that makes it more rewarding to take everything as a personal affront.

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

It would be a real fucking bad look for Democratic senators to be skipping out on impeachment hearings. While multiple things can and should be going on, while there are impeachment hearings going on, every senator damn well better be at them, and giving them their full attention.

You hold the hearing during set hours of the day.

Everyone is there.

You adjourn for the day after a set amount of time.

You return to the rest of the shit that is on fire after that.

Humans are capable of performing multiple tasks in a day, in sequence, this is not a controversial or innovative thing.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

You hold the hearing during set hours of the day.

Everyone is there.

You adjourn for the day after a set amount of time.

You return to the rest of the shit that is on fire after that.

Humans are capable of performing multiple tasks in a day, in sequence, this is not a controversial or innovative thing.

If I can be expected to work a 50-60 hour work week, and I am not in fact leading the nation and literally writing law into existence, so can Congress

This discussion has been closed.