As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All [birds], all the time!

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I would say those are definitely birbs.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Incorrect. Those are definitely "borbs".

As in, orb birds.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I don't think borb and birb are exclusive categories. Based on the rules in this taxonomy guide, I would say they hit all 3 qualifications for being a birb.

https://www.audubon.org/news/when-bird-birb-extremely-important-guide

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    in my book, borb is just a subset of birb. not all birbs are borbs, but all borbs are birbs

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    What about byrds?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Byrds are cats, ironically

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have seen a roadrunner just hanging out near a cactus patch I walk past over the last few days
    nxjmsigq82l5.png
    I got a good look at it and it's a young adult with some of it's fluff still
    jtwxamz69ohp.png
    jo70as1d6w3q.png

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So, my neighbor's back yard has a bird nest i've just discovered (Disclamer: I walk her puppy, i was not just invading her back yard because)!

Less cool: it appears to just be a Eursian blackbird. Boo! Thankfully, by all reports these dont actually screw up our native birb populations or cause any overt hell with them.

Still! Baby birbs! and doing well, so that's nice.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hot on the tail of yesterday's Titipounamu news, there's this:

Tweet:
    A pair of rifleman/tītipounamu have taken home security to the next level by building a nest with 4 eggs in a set possum trap! The Otago Peninsula Biodiversity Group found it during a routine trap check and have since closed off the entrance and set traps around the tree.
    [pictures of trap and nest]
    Tweeter is someone who once followed me because I tweeted about NZ birbs.

A breeding pair down in Otago have decided to go best-best-defense-is-a-good-offense, by domiciling inside a live spring-loaded predator trap.

Titipounamu nesting note:
    When attempting to attract a mate, the male Titipounamu will build multiple nests, usually in small tree hollows, and then show each of them to the female, who will decide which one she likes best.

So consider, if you will, the poor bastard who threw this together last minute thinking "look, I need to have an obvious wrong choice so she goes for that nice Rimu tree down by the stream" only for her to stand outside, take one look and sniff "well, at least this one isn't damp".

Additional note: The average Titipounamu egg is about the size of my thumbnail.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Well this lovely bird decided to have a picnic right outside my front door
    9xyevzkt76um.jpeg
    Fuck

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Is it colonial imperialism to not speak a different language?

I mean

Kinda.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I mean

Kinda.

How?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I mean

Kinda.

How?

I'm being a jackass, but also smh if you don't have a dog-eared, care-worn piece of ruled notebook paper in your sock drawer with an ever-growing list of all the languages you intend to learn to speak before you die.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

I mean

Kinda.

How?

I'm being a jackass, but also smh if you don't have a dog-eared, care-worn piece of ruled notebook paper in your sock drawer with an ever-growing list of all the languages you intend to learn to speak before you die.

Well... yeah. I still want to learn the Latin I started in high school, and I was trying to teach myself Spanish last year before giving up in frustration. I feel more like I was let down by the US education system.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I should re-learn French .. I took like "9 years" of French in school but that was all while I was entirely uninterested in it.

I can still understand some though

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I took French in high school because Spanish was full and I kind of knew Deutsch at the time. I learned Japanese in the Corps and I learned Korean in an odd way [from K pop/ webcomics and a certain tv show}
    But overran with predators!
    A red tailed hawk in the top of the tree in my front yard
    0btwfp2kkk8c.png
    A roadrunner in the driveway
    8ec9djoyeg59.png

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I heard two Great Horned Owls hooting at each other last night in my back yard. Went out and I saw what was presumably one of them fly off. Very cool!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    They really have a great call, second only to barred owls (unlike Barn Owls which are downright scary.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    This last summer I had a campsite that was at most a couple hundred feet from a great horned owl nest, and the first night there a second owl showed up. After the ensuing hoot-off the loser was chased off right over my tent, but the loser didn't really leave the area. All night long was what can best be described as depressed hooting, with the winner occasionally responding in loud "shut the fuck up" hoots.

Campsite was also less than 10 feet from the bank of a beaver pond, with the dam and Lodge even closer than the owl nest. Spent all day watching beavers do beaver stuff, and then dealt with the feuding owl neighbors at night.

Oh, and then there were the trumpeter swans and loons in the lake just down the hill...

I highly recommend camping in northern Wisconsin in the spring and fall. Summer is great, but the mosquitoes and other biting bugs are generally overwhelming.

Veevee on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I've been wondering who has been letting off Roman Candle rockets in the early evening for the last few weeks before it even gets fully dark but have finally come to the conclusion that one of the local Song Thrushes has apparently learned how to mimic fireworks at Guy Fawkes last month and has added it to their evening set.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    why does the thing my cat coughed up have eyes suddenly!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Ah yes, one thing I like about this time of year is all the juncos come to my yard. They're the most birby birb that ever birbed. I love them. They're so round and fluffy.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
  • Options
    Not quite Sibly but still pretty good nonetheless.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Who among us could truly call ourselves a Sibly??

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'm brave enough in the dark to call a parliament of owls a "bunch" on social media.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Ah yes, one thing I like about this time of year is all the juncos come to my yard. They're the most birby birb that ever birbed. I love them. They're so round and fluffy.

I'm pretty tired and getting delirious, and my mind pictured little birds made out of jnco jeans.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I don't think I'm brave enough in the dark to call a parliament of owls a "bunch" on social media.

Yeah, you don't want to risk the collective outrage

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    https://www.npr.org/2021/12/21/1066201821/a-lost-eagle-from-asia-has-been-traveling-around-north-america-for-more-than-a-y
    Massachusetts' Division of Fisheries and Wildlife posted on Facebook on Monday saying the bird, known as a Steller's sea eagle, was spotted along the Taunton River. It says the large bird weighs as much as 20 pounds, with a wingspan of up to 8 feet.

Steller's sea eagles are native to China, Japan, North Korea, South Korea and eastern Russia, so this bird is at least 5,000 miles from home. But what's even wilder is that the same exact bird has been traveling across North America since at least August 2020.

It was first spotted in Alaska during the summer of 2020. Then the bird was seen in Texas and then around Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast last month, Smithsonian magazine reported in November.

Birders are sure it's the same eagle because it has unique white markings on its wings, the magazine said.

A week ago, the day after the last line of powerful storms that brought the wind warnings to the Midwest, I saw the biggest bird I had ever seen fly by. The bird soared over a road I was driving about 100 feet in front and a telephone pole high, and then gliding into a field as I drove by. It looked like a golden eagle, but I only saw it from a side and rear profile. It was obviously bigger than any eagle I had ever seen, and it definitely wasn't a vulture or some other easy to confuse bird of prey. I'm pretty sure that what I saw was the biggest golden eagle I will ever see, but a small part keeps hoping it had been this wanderer from China being blown way off course by that storm. Seriously doubt it since the timeline does not match, but a bird watcher can dream, right?

Keep an eye to the sky. There's some amazing things to see out there.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I'm pretty tired and getting delirious, and my mind pictured little birds made out of jnco jeans.

Can't help with the "made out of jeans" part, but puffleg hummingbirds have little fluffy pantaloons:

EmeraldbelliedPuffleg3.jpg

2721e6_fd9bd82ec3704e218edff7ad059bd094~mv2.jpg

Booted-Racket-tails-Ocreatus-underwoodii.jpg

But also owls often have fluffy legs:

029fea3aa3efbea621329a84fe2a88d4.jpg

snowy-owl-standing-leg-10493403.jpg

owl-feet-loree-johnson.jpg

And also the yellow-thighed finch from that article wears shorts:

dsc02160ww.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I love that pic of the snowy owl. She looks like a queen!

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    4yqlma11qchh.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Maybe one day we can find a bird that wears jorts.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hey bird thread! A few nights ago I heard a hooting and a screeching right outside my house at night. Looked up the calls and my best guess was a barn owl and a great horned owl both landed in the trees and started arguing about who would get to hunt the moles in our lot.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I went shopping yesterday and there were a couple of red kites over the carpark, just enjoying the thermals from the tarmac

Stolen stock image picture because all I got was some pixelly phone video

aadpmorxea6c.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    is that duck wearing running shoes?