As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The FORBIDDEN DOOR has opened in the [wrestling] thread

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Ahahaha just beating the shit out of everyone in the bar first.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    so far my moment of the night was foolishly declaring to @cello that this match couldn't be as good as the original stadium stampede a mere seconds before the inner circle fucking rappelled into the stadium

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I wish I could watch this muted so I wouldn't have to hear the commentary but I want to listen to everyone else talking in the match.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    That was amazing on everyone's part, but especially on Sammy Guevara's.

Seriously, that was a starmaking performance.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    I'm glad it ended with the only 1-on-1 I was invested in.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    If for some reason you're not wrestled out when you wake up, at 5AM Eastern is NOAH's Misawa Memorial 2021, free on Abema and also streaming on Fite and Wrestle Universe

Seiki Yoshioka vs Haoh
    Kaito Kiyomiya, Yoshiki Inamura, Kinya Okada and Junta Miyawaki vs Kenoh, Nioh, Tadasuke and Manabu Soya
    STINGER (HAYATA and Yoshinari Ogawa) defend the GHC Junior tag titles against Daisuke Harada and Hajime Ohara
    The Aggression (Katsuhiko Nakajima and Masa Kitamiya) defend the GHC tag titles against Funky Express (Muhammad Yone and Shuhei Taniguchi)
    Atsushi Kotoge defends the GHC Junior title against Yuya Susumu
    Takashi Sugiura defends the GHC National title against Kazushi Sakuraba
    Masato Tanaka and Keiji Muto vs Masakatsu Funaki and Naomichi Marufuji

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Shawn Spears went from being a guy I liked because he seemed nice to suddenly becoming a Weird Chair Fetishist and the Chair Chamber was easily the best part of that entire match

It also strikes me that we all knew he was there to take the pin but he got to have some fun character spots regardless; I don't think he'd have gotten that in WWE

Regrettably this means the Inner Circle still exists and Santana/Ortiz aren't free, but otherwise, very fun show, very agreeable booking, just, real fun to watch altogether

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I am disappointed going to an elevator didn't have a resolution of them stopping om a floor with weird stuff happening.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    konnan got aew to pay him to play his own music

what a legend

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Really great show overall. Loved hearing the full crowd rooting for Eddie during the tag match, just awesome. I was really hoping he'd get the win to maybe avoid having all belts being held by heels but the match was excellent anyways.

The submission move slap fight in the Sting match was fun and the stadium match was way better than I expected and what a great way to push Sammy.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only low point of the show was Cody/Ogogo, and even that was still a good match. Just the angle around it sucked.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    That was definitely a fun show.

Riho vs Serena Deeb was my favorite match of the night.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Pretty much the only low point of the show was Cody/Ogogo, and even that was still a good match. Just the angle around it sucked.

I spent most of that match wrestling with feelings about how well made Cody's outfit was despite hating the entire concept of the match, settled with choosing that match to walk away to warm up some samosas, and had no regrets

Oh, I do want to call out that they seem to have figured out how to handle their battle royals now, which was great; it also ruled to see Riho back in action, and I hope that the cheers the womens' matches got tonight will encourage them to put more ladies on the main show

Also happy for Britt but hope Shida can win it back in front of a crowd sometime, lost my mind for the entirety of the PAC/OC/Kenny match, am always thriller to see Hangman do well, love how small Miro looks next to Archer but hope snakes have some level of impact resistance, really enjoyed seeing Sting in front of a live audience, and holy shit the entirety of that Bucks vs Mox/Eddie match was wild as hell

Solid PPV through and through!

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    Yeah Ogogo is pretty good at this wrestling thing, and I really like his promo delivery. He's trying to be a Peaky Blinder and I'm here for it.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Im not thrilled about the Mark Henry thing, hes very much still about the old carny way of doing things and I wish him and people who are about that would fuck off.

• Options
    Before I go to bed, gotta admit that double German suplex spot in the tag title match got me good. Who knew Moxley was actually watching Big Japan for the Strong division matches.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    This has become a sequence from a Yakuza game, and I’m here for it.

I demand a hot sauce to the eyes finisher if it is.

Tracy Williams is in AEW now!?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    This has become a sequence from a Yakuza game, and I’m here for it.

I demand a hot sauce to the eyes finisher if it is.

Tracy Williams is in AEW now!?

Spice it up baby, wooo!

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Notes from post show presser

Another in ring talent will be calling Rampage alongside Henry
    Rampage still start live but probably end up a mix of live and pretaped
    Apparently NJPW gave Tony the go ahead and encouraged him to cut the promo on Nick Kahn
    Lio is on a handshake deal currently To clarify Meltzer said hes actually NJPW contracted talent but since he cant work Japan currently hes allowed to work AEW with permission
    Tony wanted to bring him in earlier but the was on The Challenge
    He will still be working NJPW
    Jericho said Stadium Stampede was filmed over 4 days and they had a stunt coordinator from the John Wick movies come into help.

Most importantly (lol) Tony accidentally? confirmed Hangman is going to be a father so we got confirmation:

Hangman fucks.

• Options
    Been doin' some Cowboy Shit at home, it seems.

• Options
    Them getting a stuntman to block parts out makes a lot of sense for how Sammy vs Spears played out. Might also be why the crash pads were hidden from the camera in it.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Them getting a stuntman to block parts out makes a lot of sense for how Sammy vs Spears played out. Might also be why the crash pads were hidden from the camera in it.

Yeah, Sammy vs. Spears was definitely the best part of that match.

I know this thread hates Spears but I really hope the Chairman's Boss Room comes back sometime, even if it's a BTE bit.

• Options

I know this thread hates Spears but I really hope the Chairman's Boss Room comes back sometime, even if it's a BTE bit.

Honestly, after last night, I think I'm coming around on Spears. He did a damn good job.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options

Honestly, after last night, I think I'm coming around on Spears. He did a damn good job.

After the Pinnacle dinner where he started to play as a psycopath I'm accepting of him. He's always just been generic heel before so having a character helps. He's still kind of just fine in the ring, but it works fine in multi-man matches.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    The only thing I've seen from this AEW show is a still shot of Tully and FTR at the bar. Based on that alone I declare this one of the finest wrestling shows of all time.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options

His problem before was he didn't really have much of a character aside from Guy Who Likes Chairs, and he is kind of a midcard in actual wrestling talent. He really needed to lean in one of those two directions, and going for Guy Who Really Likes Chairs is a real positive step

Steam
  • Options
    I know its cause were all conditioned to the other company but it kills me how much AEW likes showcasing younger talent and actually continuing with it but at the same time you have your current company "guys" and your legacy talent all getting their fair share.

Although I do think the tag division needs some "oomph" to get a jump start with regards to this (what the fuck happened to Private Party's push)

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I know its cause were all conditioned to the other company but it kills me how much AEW likes showcasing younger talent and actually continuing with it but at the same time you have your current company "guys" and your legacy talent all getting their fair share.

Although I do think the tag division needs some "oomph" to get a jump start with regards to this (what the fuck happened to Private Party's push)

I think that's where the Trios will come in, because having so many tag teams without hot potatoing the tag belts has got to be really tough.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

I think that's where the Trios will come in, because having so many tag teams without hot potatoing the tag belts has got to be really tough.

Generally, unless it’s an incredibly over tag team, those belts should be hot potatoing IMO. Gives teams that can hack it a bit of prestige, and gives further reason for feuds to happen, especially if teams work to sabotage each other in title matches.

Like, your heavyweight and women’s belt, sure, let the champs hold them for a bit to give them some prestige, but it’s ok for the TV title and tag belts to change once or even twice a month unless you’ve got a hot angle with a couple teams.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »

Generally, unless it’s an incredibly over tag team, those belts should be hot potatoing IMO. Gives teams that can hack it a bit of prestige, and gives further reason for dudes to happen, especially if teams work to sabotage each other in title matches.

Like, your heavyweight and women’s belt, sure, let the champs hold them for a bit to give them some prestige, but it’s ok for the TV title and tag belts to change once or even twice a month unless you’ve got a hot angle with a couple teams.

Plus if every reign is long it makes it less impressive to have a long reign, and takes any excitement from early defenses.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i managed to evade all spoilers for a full day...

they really strain the limits of these heels cheating for belts thing, but I dont know whats "usual" in other wrestling

but apart from my general annoyance that they tease things that would actually be fun and wonderful only to have Don Callis take them away from us, it was a good show

as always, they've identified that the thing fans want most is for someone, anyone, to beat the shit out of MJF, and bless him for apparently being the only heel on the show who can suck it up and take his L's for the crowd

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i managed to evade all spoilers for a full day...

they really strain the limits of these heels cheating for belts thing, but I dont know whats "usual" in other wrestling

but apart from my general annoyance that they tease things that would actually be fun and wonderful only to have Don Callis take them away from us, it was a good show

as always, they've identified that the thing fans want most is for someone, anyone, to beat the shit out of MJF, and bless him for apparently being the only heel on the show who can suck it up and take his L's for the crowd

It's pretty normal for a cheater heel to cheat and snatch victory away to the frustration of fans. It's very much one of those things about wrestling that's actually good. You leave that show being pissed at Omega and Callis and soon we'll be seeing Jungle Boy challenging for the title.

The key is to not let it get stale, and to keep you burning and waiting for Don Callis to be on the receiving end of a Buckshot Lariat.

Which I still think is one of a couple ways this Belt Collector run is going to end. I still think Ibushi is gonna kick his ass and take one of his belts, and that'll be the beginning of the end. And then when it comes to the AEW belt, here comes Hangman Page, after a lot of soul searching, and trading shitty friends for good friends, hey I meant to be the first guy to hold that belt but some things take time.

I don't think they kept OC from winning because he's OC, btw. That finish was very carefully managed so that neither OC nor PAC got buried.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The only thing that I'm not a fan of is simply that I'd like one belt held by someone you can cheer for. I'm definitely ready for this Callis takeover thing to run it's course.

• Options
    The only thing that I'm not a fan of is simply that I'd like one belt held by someone you can cheer for. I'm definitely ready for this Callis takeover thing to run it's course.

Cheer for Miro. He's the best man.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Given Miro's feelings about the WWE US belt and how he was giving it prestige, and hated that he lost it, I've been expecting him to hold the TNT title for a while now, and I don't expect him to drop it for a while either.

The Bucks need to lose their tag titles and breathe some life back into the tag division. We just had Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston in a tag title match for fuck's sake. Get Best Friends back in the title picture.

• Options
    Given Miro's feelings about the WWE US belt and how he was giving it prestige, and hated that he lost it, I've been expecting him to hold the TNT title for a while now, and I don't expect him to drop it for a while either.

The Bucks need to lose their tag titles and breathe some life back into the tag division. We just had Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston in a tag title match for fuck's sake. Get Best Friends back in the title picture.

you want another "eliminator" tournament cause that's how you get an eliminator tournament

Meanwhile im over here begging for a AEW Tag League

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Yes, tournaments rule. Do more of them.

• Options
    Btw I'm still cheesed at how they made OC's finisher the Orange Punch instead of his mousetrap pin.

Having a wrestler whose finisher is really just a complicated and obnoxious rollup that he'd use after getting the shit beaten out of him for 15 minutes was one of the things I really loved about OC.

This discussion has been closed.