As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The FORBIDDEN DOOR has opened in the [wrestling] thread

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Apparently as of today it’s 94 days until All Out. Just putting that out there.

Well now Im surprised they didn't wait a week or two then

actually thats really fucking weird they didnt wait.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Aleister Black on AEW would be pretty cool, since they like wrestlers who can really go (also, an overabundance of grungy/spooky). I've never been a Braun Strowman guy, but he would definitely stick out as their hugest dude by far.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Actually Ruby coming in as the Joker at the Woman's BR at ALL OUT is a strong possibility.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess that these guys were making more money than their perceived worth, and this is yet another move hinting at an upcoming sale. That's really the only reason I can see them releasing Braun or Black at this point.

Looking forward to Tommy End coming to AEW. He'll be rad as fuck.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    out of all those i think ruby is the most upsetting. they never did right by her

I agree 1000% but she has a free ticket to AEW I think if she wants, her experience is invaluable.

And honestly even if she doesn't go to AEW, she was such an indie stalwart that I imagine she could basically pick up where she left off and be fine

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess that these guys were making more money than their perceived worth, and this is yet another move hinting at an upcoming sale. That's really the only reason I can see them releasing Braun or Black at this point.

Looking forward to Tommy End coming to AEW. He'll be rad as fuck.

Braun at least signed a huge new contract last year around Mania. A bunch of people got a lot of money with the new tv deals and to keep them from sniffing around AEW.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    That is certainly a list....I could see most if not all in either Impact or AEW the minute they clear.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Tony Khan, hear me:

Please don't hire Braun Strowman. Let him go be a choo choo train somewhere else.

Yeah fuck Braun the asshole who attacked people not being able to afford their bills when everything shutdown can sit on his ass and spend his money.

This was mostly what I was thinking of.

I was also thinking he's a pretty terrible wrestler and good god their roster is too fucking deep as it is. We're going to start seeing battle royales on every Dynamite at this rate, without entrances. Just pile errebody in there, okay cool you guys all wrestled a match.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Braun will want too much money, I don’t see AEW signing him.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    tbh i really don't see braun staying in wrestling

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    but, his brother brains, on the other hand...
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Brains should absolutely be tagging with the Vintner, Erick Redbeard

• Options
    I just keep thinking of that botchamania clip where Braun shouts that I AM FAR MORE CLARIFIED

• Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    So uh who is buying WWE? Disney, Netflix, Amazon and NBC seem like obvious suspects.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    Goddammit I love you Warhorse.

• Options
    jonny439 wrote: »
    So uh who is buying WWE? Disney, Netflix, Amazon and NBC seem like obvious suspects.

I'd guess NBCU, but I can see literally any of those.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Honestly the idea of Vince selling the company is still wild to me.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I know a lot of folks have mixed feelings on him but I am truly flabbergasted at how WWE could actually fuck up Braun Strowman. If you told me two years ago when he was winning clean over Roman and pulling shit onto Brock Lesnar with a goddamn grappling hook that they were going to respond to that by making him a comedy midcarder who's final feud would be "I'm mad you called me stupid" I would have said, "okay it's WWE actually that sounds pretty believable but man would they really put the effort into fucking up that badly" I forgot how I started this post

• Options
    I would agree with that. So much of Braun’s stuff was gold in terms of ratings and fan reaction, and they cut him down at every pass, despite how over he was.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Braun is so completely out of nowhere that I'm really wondering if something big or weird went down.

I know this comes off as sarcastic but I'm dead serious: I think they looked at the roster and decided that Elias' contract is cheaper, because that's basically all Braun was to WWE at that point. A likeable and charismatic character, but a subpar wrestler, who they didn't see as someone who could carry the company, who they were stubbornly adamant would only be the gimmick they scripted and nothing else, fan reactions be damned. A beefier Elias who probably cost more.

God Elias isn't making it another year is he

• Options
    never die wrote: »
    I would agree with that. So much of Braun’s stuff was gold in terms of ratings and fan reaction, and they cut him down at every pass, despite how over he was.

"They Cut Him Down At Every Pass, Despite How Over He Was: The WWE Story"

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Since when has being a mediocre wrestler ever prevented WWE from pushing someone? Like, how long has it been since Randy Orton has had an above average match?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Braun is so completely out of nowhere that I'm really wondering if something big or weird went down.

I know this comes off as sarcastic but I'm dead serious: I think they looked at the roster and decided that Elias' contract is cheaper, because that's basically all Braun was to WWE at that point. A likeable and charismatic character, but a subpar wrestler, who they didn't see as someone who could carry the company, who they were stubbornly adamant would only be the gimmick they scripted and nothing else, fan reactions be damned. A beefier Elias who probably cost more.

God Elias isn't making it another year is he

They also have Omos for their resident giant.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    This is the first time in a long time I think WWE's been able to surprise me

Yeah, Braun's a fuckup, a bad person, is tall, doesn't give a fuck what others think, laughed at indy talent being broke (and specifically did this during the plague), and actively stood up for all WWE did to him

All of that is stuff WWE loves and has made no secret of loving before

If none of that was enough to save his job long-term or get them to keep trying with him, it really does make me actually wonder who stands a chance there anymore

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    It really is bizarre, they had Hulk Hogan with Andre's height and just said Naaaah....let bury him. History tells us time and again, Vince would have needed to carry a book around 24/7 to cover his boner.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    It really is bizarre, they had Hulk Hogan with Andre's height and just said Naaaah....let bury him. History tells us time and again, Vince would have needed to carry a book around 24/7 to cover his boner.

Totally. Braun was serviceable in the ring, could put on entertaining matches, was charismatic, and the perfect example of what Vince loved body type wise. Especially in the last couple of years when he skimmed down and got more jacked.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Remembering the good times

https://youtu.be/JXTOH9jhbOg

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Like 2 months after putting an actual business guy in charge of important shit, and the carnie tent is on fire.

I think we're about to see what happens when a pure corporatist Bobby Kotick-"I am business man, watch me fucking business, fuck your wrestle and fans it's money time"-type is running a professional wrestling company.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Also yeah, in regards to the sale talks, in the aftermath of the Peacock migration, and all the power he's gained (including just yesterday being added to the Board of Directors) despite having been signed to the company as their President and Chief Revenue Officer in August, Nick Khan has absolutely done more with power in barely 9 full months than HHH and Steph tried to (let alone successfully did) over the course of the previous decade

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    I remember an NXT show here in Pittsburgh and there was a fan in like the 2nd or 3rd row with a Heidi Lovelace shirt on and Ruby Riott stopped on the ramp on the way to the ring when she saw the shirt and reached over and hugged the fan. After the NXT shows we’ve been to the wrestlers never really come out to interact with fans or anything but on our way out we saw Ruby had come out again to talk to the fan. She seems like a genuine good person and I hope she kills it wherever she goes next.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Like 2 months after putting an actual business guy in charge of important shit, and the carnie tent is on fire.

I think we're about to see what happens when a pure corporatist Bobby Kotick-"I am business man, watch me fucking business, fuck your wrestle and fans it's money time"-type is running a professional wrestling company.

I feel like WCW at a few times that it went this way (Foley references it in his first book about the transition away from Bill Watts as head booker where a corporate Turner guy took over) but it has been a long time since this sort of thing happened.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Do you think Wesley Blake is messaging Murphy like “we can get the tag team back together finally” and Murphy is like “new phone who this”

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Do you think Wesley Blake is messaging Murphy like “we can get the tag team back together finally” and Murphy is like “new phone who this”

DUBSTEP COWBOY 4 LYFE!!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    So if you didn't want to buy that Cody shirt, but still want a wrestling shirt that supports Trans rights, here's one from Dustin instead!

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    jonny439 wrote: »
    I remember an NXT show here in Pittsburgh and there was a fan in like the 2nd or 3rd row with a Heidi Lovelace shirt on and Ruby Riott stopped on the ramp on the way to the ring when she saw the shirt and reached over and hugged the fan. After the NXT shows we’ve been to the wrestlers never really come out to interact with fans or anything but on our way out we saw Ruby had come out again to talk to the fan. She seems like a genuine good person and I hope she kills it wherever she goes next.

Everyone I know who interacted directly with Heidi, be it a fan, wrestler, commentator, whatever, has only had wonderful things to say about her.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
This discussion has been closed.