Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Cursive almost held me back a year in school.

Funny that a script designed to be pulled along a paper is very hard for a left-handed person to do!

... man I wish I could use fountain pens with all the flourish and calligraphy they provide.

Edit: I really should make a thread about left-handed microagressions. But I don't want to seem like I'm making fun of people who really do get shit on every day, as opposed to minor inconveniences.

microagressions is the wrong word, as that word is kinda reserved for a bunch of other stuff. But a OTOH-thread sounds good.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah in high school it became an elective in my junior year so no one actually took it. (edit: I took the one in 8th grade in middle school)

Also we spent a few weeks learning to sew... I ain't sewing a button back on my $10 walmart dress shirt.

Having the basic confidence to fix things with your hands is super valuable though, no matter where it comes from. I'm constantly shocked how many people I've worked with who just...quit when something breaks.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We offer cooking classes but they are elective. Lots of kids take it because they get to eat more food and they might not have much at home. I believe personal finance is a one semester requirement though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Good news: We're all getting a massive 2.5% pay increase with "discretionary" bonus awards for those who have achieved a Strong on their annual rating (Of course this is nothing to do with the now steady outflow of experienced colleagues to our competitors after last year's pay freeze, it's because the board wuv us sooooo much!)

Bad news: I just investigated a case where the call handler not only repeated the email address back phonetically (and correctly) but sent a test email to the correct address and yet somehow STILL fucking managed to send the actual email with confidential info to the wrong email address.

Would anyone like to take a wild guess about an obvious defining characteristic of the caller? Like maybe the first or second thing you might notice about them?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We had our Prom last weekend and it was Alice in Wonderland themed. They had face masks made up that say, "were' all mad here." And frankly you can just wear this whenever and have it apply right now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Hey job thread. So I've been vaccinated for a few months, but still was wary of being at the office a bunch because of the small quarters (its a commercial townhouse with 3 floors and like between 5-9 other people depending on the day and time) so I didn't like going to the office still, but they started making me go 3 days/week post-innoculation, Wed-Fri.

I was off Monday for a personal thing (my mother had an appt that she needed a ride for bc she was being sedated) so Tuesday I get notice that I need to stay home until I get tested as I was exposed to a covid positive co-worker.

Do my coworkers wear their masks in the office? Sure don't!

So today I have a covid test scheduled for directly after my usual lunch time is up because fuck them I'm not using my time.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Would anyone like to take a wild guess about an obvious defining characteristic of the caller? Like maybe the first or second thing you might notice about them?

I was going to guess it was the fault of gmail and how they treat periods in addresses, but I guess not...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Good news: We're all getting a massive 2.5% pay increase with "discretionary" bonus awards for those who have achieved a Strong on their annual rating (Of course this is nothing to do with the now steady outflow of experienced colleagues to our competitors after last year's pay freeze, it's because the board wuv us sooooo much!)

Bad news: I just investigated a case where the call handler not only repeated the email address back phonetically (and correctly) but sent a test email to the correct address and yet somehow STILL fucking managed to send the actual email with confidential info to the wrong email address.

Idk, they have a massive unibrow?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    A reasonable guess but no.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Cursive almost held me back a year in school.

Funny that a script designed to be pulled along a paper is very hard for a left-handed person to do!

... man I wish I could use fountain pens with all the flourish and calligraphy they provide.

Edit: I really should make a thread about left-handed microagressions. But I don't want to seem like I'm making fun of people who really do get shit on every day, as opposed to minor inconveniences.

Read an article the other day that made a fairly convincing case that the switch to ballpoint pens over fountain was what dug cursive's grave, and the new techs we have now are just shoveling the dirt over the coffin.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Cursive writing is for signatures only and I will happily stab it in the skull if it tries to rise any further from that grave. Now if only people could stop writing with it so I can actually understand what a letter says.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    My natural handwriting alternates between cursive and print, to annoy everybody equally

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I can barely read other people's fucked up print handwriting let alone their cursive.

Especially the elderly that use that particular brand of spidery, barely spaced cursive from the 50's.

What a lovely letter, Eunice too bad I can't read a fucking word of it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My natural handwriting alternates between cursive and print, to annoy everybody equally

Being able to read half a letter is better than being able to read none of it. I might even be able to intuit the actual meaning from context!

• Options
    Somewhere back around middle school I came to the conclusion that my mixed-case printing looked like crap, and switched to small caps. That's become my main form of handwriting, with my signature as a vestigial twitch of cursive; on the rare occasions I have to use the latter for some bizarre reason, it takes conscious effort to recall.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I mean, no one should drink period

I gotta level with you Kayne, that isn't actually how bloody marys are made, we just told you that to mess with you.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The only time I ever write anymore are shorthand notes to myself. Which may as well be Gaelic Morse code for anyone else looking at it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    man i love how hard schools 40 years ago hammered cursive as the need to know skill and then gave like a week for the metric system

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The most writing I've done at all recently is the notes I'm taking on the different coffee beans I'm trying from a local roaster I want to support, because I am a fucking nerd.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Who the hell spends a week on the metric system

I grew up in a metric exclusive country and I don't think we spend more than a couple of lessons on it, it's a pretty straightforward idea.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

They're an executive?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    tynic wrote: »
    Who the hell spends a week on the metric system

I grew up in a metric exclusive country and I don't think we spend more than a couple of lessons on it, it's a pretty straightforward idea.

jeeze we try to expose our chilluns to some of your debased euro culture and what do we get for it?

sass
    also i'm sure they gave it a week because you were unlikely to ever see it even mentioned again until college or later and remember that was only like 30-60 mins a day

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    i just had to order another 100$ desk camera for some shmoe who doesn't want to use his perfectly functioning laptop camera because if he decides to use one of his three huge monitors then on-screen he's looking away

white corporate america, folks

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When I moved to the us one of the first things I remember needing to do in my job was measure something reasonably precisely and I looked around the lab and found a ruler or something and it was in inches only
    And I just stared at it for five minutes because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Then I struggled to actually use it because my base ten brain couldn't come to terms with the idea that the subnotches were not decimal intervals. "Ah, three little lines is 0.3!" *Ruler chuckles in 3/8*

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    When I moved to the us one of the first things I remember needing to do in my job was measure something reasonably precisely and I looked around the lab and found a ruler or something and it was in inches only
    And I just stared at it for five minutes because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Then I struggled to actually use it because my base ten brain couldn't come to terms with the idea that the subnotches were not decimal intervals. "Ah, three little lines is 0.3!" *Ruler chuckles in 3/8*

there really seem to be no other systems as hostile to each other as metric and imperial

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You only need to spend a little bit of time learning metric system because it's so goddamned easy

I wish I could eyeball guestimate in metric they way I can in "imperial" feet and yards

• Options
    You only need to spend a little bit of time learning metric system because it's so goddamned easy

I wish I could eyeball guestimate in metric they way I can in "imperial" feet and yards

i have never been able to eyeball estimate anything and it seems like a literal superpower

please Foots-Guess Man, save me

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One perk of living in an ex-imperial country that officially switched to metric but is full of gammons who refuse to get with the times is that both live pretty comfortably together in my head. I will switch between inches and centimetres in the same sentence depending one which is easiest to be accurate in.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Why aren't kids taught smithing anymore?

These days I'll bet not even one kid in a thousand could melt the nails from their forefathers coffins to forge a dagger with which to stab the wights that terrorize the village each Michaelmas.

I used to work at a summer camp that did blacksmithing.

We also did lots of Dungeons & Dragons and other TTRPG. And LARPS. And welding, rock climbing, mountain biking, and archery.

It was an wonderfully weird place.

My buddy Tim met a dude in high school who had a smithy in his backyard. Tim use to go over for lessons. Now as an adult he has a smithy in his backyard and use to do workshops.

Man I should see if he wants to hang out soon.

• Options
    One perk of living in an ex-imperial country that officially switched to metric but is full of gammons

i thought link sealed him up

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I hate the imperial system. I can tell you a foot is 12 inches and a yard is 3 feet and that's it. Anything else I'd have to look up. Metric on the other hand is just 10s. Shit, even bitwise is easier cause it's just 2^x.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

i have never been able to eyeball estimate anything and it seems like a literal superpower

The trick is to have things that you definitely know the length of.

Length of your middle finger tip to first knuckle.

Length of your hand from base to middle finger tip.

Your height.

Length of a vehicle you are familiar with.

Height of a basketball hoop.

Distance from your house to the grocery store.

Diameter of UY Scuti.

Practical things like that.

And then you impose those measurements on the world around you.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I still write a lot on a daily basis but my handwriting, which is a mix of 90% print and 10% cursive, is somehow getting worse the older I get. I also write very small compared to pretty much anyone else which is likely due to me always using college ruled paper when I was growing up. Why college ruled I have no idea.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I only measure things in cubits.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

"Riiight. What's a cubit?"

• Options
    edited May 2021
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

And then you impose those measurements on the world around you.

that sounds very rude!

but no that doesn't work, i can't do this imagination compare thing i just fail miserably

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

get thee hence, noah

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I think that maybe you just aren't trying hard enough to imagine the diameter of UY Scuti.

Intellectual laziness.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    How many Ranxes can you fit in UY Scuti?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    A lot of metric is just knowing the prefixes and the magnitude they refer to

Giga/mega/kilo etc etc

And milli/micro/nano and so on