As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I only measure things in cubits.

"Riiight. What's a cubit?"

"About 1/300th of an ark."

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I might still be a practicing Catholic if someone had told me there would be battlemechs involved.

I was gonna make a joke but then I was like no wait, catholic battlemechs is just 40k.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    A dramatic reimagining of that event.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whawq00GCxY

How is that the most useless Skyrim mod ever? That is awesome! Does it follow you around?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So apparently someone at work has a homestead out in the boonies and has chickens and is selling eggs.

And that's how I ended up with a dozen free range chicken eggs for $2.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I might still be a practicing Catholic if someone had told me there would be battlemechs involved.

I was gonna make a joke but then I was like no wait, catholic battlemechs is just 40k.

dndgh9cayuqs.jpg

• Options
    When you get caught stealing from the donation tray.^^

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I was going to make a Menoth joke, but, yeah.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm down for Robot Jox: Apocalypse.

And venting here because I seriously want to put my branded coffee mug through the drywall. Just finished a four month project, with the customer which should have had them getting their stuff today. Their engineer gave me a call 'we received a box of spare parts.'
    'Not the big box of equipment that was accompanying it too?'
    'Nope.'

According to the last leg shipper, 'nope, we never got the 400lb pallet of really important stuff' but the international freight forwarder is adamant 'both pcs were handed off.'

I'm fine to let those two fight it out, but in the interim where the FUCK is the equipment?

• Options
    Start at 9:45 if the link doesn't work.

https://youtu.be/7t0BAkiQi2k?t=585

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

And venting here because I seriously want to put my branded coffee mug through the drywall. Just finished a four month project, with the customer which should have had them getting their stuff today. Their engineer gave me a call 'we received a box of spare parts.'
    'Nope.'

According to the last leg shipper, 'nope, we never got the 400lb pallet of really important stuff' but the international freight forwarder is adamant 'both pcs were handed off.'

I'm fine to let those two fight it out, but in the interim where the FUCK is the equipment?

Ooof that sounds horrifying, especially for such a massive chunk of cargo. I'd imagine some insurance adjuster somewhere for those companies is starting to experience a chill going up their spine.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I used cursive pretty much exclusively from second grade (when I learned how) through college because I could write so much faster in cursive than in print. I only got out of the habit when I started taking a lot of programming classes, because it's hard to write code/pseudocode in cursive.

My handwriting in general is much worse now than it was in college, mostly because I don't use it nearly as much. I'd like to fix that; but also I have a terrible writing deathgrip, so I'd need to basically retrain myself from the ground up, and so far I find my attempts to correct my grip intensely frustrating. It's so slow! And I can write so much faster if I revert to the wrong way! Sure my whole arm tires within seconds but at least it's fast!

Question for the cursive-haters in the thread: do you think there's value in being able to at least read cursive? So many historical documents are written in it - including a lot of family history stuff from just a generation or two ago. Hell, my mom still sends me handwritten cards in cursive. I can't imagine not being able to read them.

Nobody I know uses cursive. Letters are usually typed, occasionally printed for cards.

Cursive is for signatures and that’s about it.

Cursive can go to where Latin and Greek went to die for all its relevance to everyday American life as far as I’m concerned.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

'Nope.'

Ooof that sounds horrifying, especially for such a massive chunk of cargo. I'd imagine some insurance adjuster somewhere for those companies is starting to experience a chill going up their spine.

I was able to get a $10,000 insurance check out of FedEx one time, and then there was that million dollar automation system arrived at the customer's facility upside down... (Legal team handled that one).

The 'unwimited waaaaage' thing is the customer is fuxxxxored if they don't get the stuff, because if we had to build it again, that's another four months.

*edit*
    Although my favorite story is, "It's not my fault the Wii U had hardware delays, but I was close enough to that project that I can't blame you for thinking that.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Large amounts of RTFM energy coming from this meeting that I've been on for ~an hour and a half.
    Quite a bit longer than a 'hey really quick' would've indicated. Also would've thought, 'hey if you read this guide and go through these steps' would allow me to drop from this call. But instead they are wanting to go through this process while in screen share since they have me on the line. Someone (my manager who roped me into this) owes me a beer.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    When I was a teen I had a dream about battlemech combat in a dry, desert-ish climate and the youth leader at church tried to convince me that I'd foreseen the prophesied battle of armageddon.

And the wine press was trodden outside the city, and blood came out of the wine press, even unto the battlemech's dual 40mm auto cannons, for the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

• Options
    Ooh there's another good measurement. Furlong. What is a furlong? Nobody fucking knows.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ooh there's another good measurement. Furlong. What is a furlong? Nobody fucking knows.

1/8 of a mile

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

1/8 of a mile

Nobody knows.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    A complete mystery.

No one will ever know.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

it's about this much

bwfpfbw61jel.png

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    What is a furlong? Nobody fucking knows.
    ASrGArp.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    No that's an Edward.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I blame them warhammers for known imperial measurements and how to eyeball because ages ago those games didn't allow premeasuring and had a bunch of mechanics that involved guessing ranges.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So I just had a long conversation with some of my long-time colleagues. I'm the one who has risen highest in the system, and I suppose this is where I probably stop. I'll keep applying for leadership positions, but as far as I'm concerned my primary function is to give the bosses shit until they make things better, in the sure and certain knowledge that it would be very difficult to actually fire me.

Gonna be an eventful couple of decades.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    When I was a teen I had a dream about battlemech combat in a dry, desert-ish climate and the youth leader at church tried to convince me that I'd foreseen the prophesied battle of armageddon.

And the wine press was trodden outside the city, and blood came out of the wine press, even unto the battlemech's dual 40mm auto cannons, for the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

The big thing in the dream was I was in a command bunker built into the mountainside. I had grey hair and a stern face. I was old. (but now I'm old and my hair is still red/brown) There were panels and radio station and radar displays and we opened the hangars in the mountain to unleash the mechs and just PEWPEWPEWbwAAAAAAAAMPdakkadakka etc.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I blame them warhammers for known imperial measurements and how to eyeball because ages ago those games didn't allow premeasuring and had a bunch of mechanics that involved guessing ranges.

Terrain map battletech, we used three inches as a hex and would just use a locked tape measure.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I got feedback back from that job I didn't get

Apparently they were very impressed by my interview and I was the runner-up candidate, but in the end they went with someone who had a little more direct museum experience

On the one hand, at least I know there wasn't really anything I could do to improve my candidacy or interview, but on the other there's no prizes for second place, so... aaaaaagh

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that's actually super annoying cause it's hard to fix BUT sounds like you might be getting museum experience anyway??

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    tynic wrote: »
    that's actually super annoying cause it's hard to fix BUT sounds like you might be getting museum experience anyway??

It basically pends like, my email landing on the right desk

I'm effectively going to be trying to cold call the places and see if I get any bites, unfortunately it's not a guaranteed program but moreso a way for employees to get varied experience and dodge around the formal employment processes (and usually bring it back to their home org, but my boss is pretty aware I don't want to come back, haha)

Still, museums love free work so who knows

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Ugh. Someone on that interview team is super pissed that they didn't hire you, and I'd like to have a drink with them.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    All in all, you would certainly think that it would be less stressful to give books away to weirdos for free.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Job hunting is funny as a teacher. Districts mostly only hire one time a year - in the spring, right after a bunch of folks get fired, retire, or leave for some other reason. Then there's a mad scramble as all the jobs get posted and we can apply. I've had three interviews over the last week. One for a "meh" school that would mostly be nice because it's 5 minutes from my house, one for a really interesting opportunity in the Portland area, and another for an okay school that's 10 minutes from my house.

Any of these would be an upgrade, as I currently work in a school with a community culture that I really don't get along with and it's a 45 minute commute each way. The Portland area opportunity seems promising - the admin there is running my references now and emailed me this morning to see if I can ask my current admin to please hurry up and fill out those forms. The "meh" school hasn't said anything, but I wasn't very excited in that interview so I don't think they want me which, you know, fair enough. Then I got a call at 4:30ish after getting home and the "okay" school flat out says, "Hey we like you, come work for us." So, uhh. I guess I at least have a new job? But I'm holding out hope to get an official offer from the Portland area opportunity within the next day or so, and then I get to call back the "okay" school and say something like, "Hey so thanks again for the opportunity, but I was literally handed a dream opportunity and I'm tryin' to GTFO of California, so anyway thanks but no thanks byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

I guess this is a good problem to have though, right? No paperwork from anyone yet and nothing is official, but gosh I'm really excited at the prospect of at the very least getting 70 minutes a day back by getting rid of my stupid commute, and if everything goes PERFECT then I get to move to the PNW and have a ball of a time up there and not melt in the summer because it's never 110 F up there like it is down here (holy moses that would be amazing) and also they actually get rain(?!) in the winter time and that really just sounds lovely.

Now I get to finish out the last 2.5 weeks of the school year, pack up my stuff, and NEVER RETURN AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHOOOOOOO! I'm going to miss my department though, they're good people.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I never got used to my height being in centimeters in Japan.

Like my brain just refused to accept “178” as a valid answer to “How tall are you?”

Celsius and Kg was easy enough to grok but cm height no sir. Just feels wrong somehow.

Yeah apparently this is super common and is at least partially due to the fact t that we use approx heights as identifiers. So if you spent your life being referred to as a x ft y inch person, even if that changes over time, you’ve got a better point of reference for what that looks like compared to other measured-in-imperial folk, but then cm is just like… numbers?

Whereas different weights look different on and to everyone, plus there’s the whole we-don’t-talk-about-that aspect to it.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Calica wrote: »
    I used cursive pretty much exclusively from second grade (when I learned how) through college because I could write so much faster in cursive than in print. I only got out of the habit when I started taking a lot of programming classes, because it's hard to write code/pseudocode in cursive.

My handwriting in general is much worse now than it was in college, mostly because I don't use it nearly as much. I'd like to fix that; but also I have a terrible writing deathgrip, so I'd need to basically retrain myself from the ground up, and so far I find my attempts to correct my grip intensely frustrating. It's so slow! And I can write so much faster if I revert to the wrong way! Sure my whole arm tires within seconds but at least it's fast!

Question for the cursive-haters in the thread: do you think there's value in being able to at least read cursive? So many historical documents are written in it - including a lot of family history stuff from just a generation or two ago. Hell, my mom still sends me handwritten cards in cursive. I can't imagine not being able to read them.

I don’t hate cursive, but I do have to read handwritten case notes by doctors, nurses, and a range of allied health staff, which basically ends up being a discordant pile of elegant cursive, scribbled cursive, the first three letters of a word followed by a long squiggly line, chicken scratches, just scribbles, micrographia, ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME, print but the i’s dotted with little circles, or some mishmash therein.

Everyone on our team seems to be good at deciphering one type of writing. There are even doctors’ notes where we’re basically like, oh, it’s so-and-so, only Clinician A can read that so really this will just have to wait until they’re in on Wednesday. (Not really but it comes close sometimes.)

It doesn’t help that most of the notes come from pretty time-poor folks, either. It’s like a broken typewriter sneezed in the middle of a whirlwind during an earthquake.

If you want someone to decipher cursive, get ye to a social worker that has to read notes from a range of rushed, time-poor health professionals. We’ll figure that shit out. Eventually.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HELL YES GOT THE OFFER FROM PORTLAND SCREW YOU CRAPPY PART OF CALIFORNIA IM OUTTA HERE.

...Shit there's a lot to do this summer. Time to start getting rid of junk.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Athenor wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    You can tell how old a Canadian company is, or how much work it has to do for American companies, by how grumpy the machinist is about using metric or imperial

I'm at the point with design work where I'll just swap between them at will based on the scale of the thing I'm trying to measure, and thank God modelling programs will let me enter either one with a unit and convert to whatever the drawing unit is set to

I am always mad that our blueprints are in imperial measurements so I have to talk about things with tolerances measured in the tenths of a thousandth of an inch. Fuck is wrong with these people?

One time a Japanese company we work with blew up a test engine because they reasonably figured that +/-0.0005 would be a metric measurement.

I enjoy watching machining youtube - like This Old Tony and Abom79. When they start talking about 10ths, I get REALLY fucking confused.

It's part of our orientation training here, "When someone says '5 tenths' they mean 5 tenths of a thou, but no one has time for that and if they say it's out by 10 they mean it's out by ten tenths of a thou or just 1 thousandth of an inch."

Also there's at least one part that has a requirement down to the hundred thousandths for a feature and man fuck that part.
    I worked at a job that used 'mils'. Just, constantly, everything was number of mils long, thick, whatever.
    I was pretty sure it was 'millionth of an inch', but wasn't positive it wasn't some metric thing or actually a thousandth of an inch since that seemed to be make more sense based on the designs and I hit the point where I had been working there WAY to long to ask now.
    Luckily I was just the EE guy so as long as the 0805 resistor fit on the 0805 pad it was mostly fine. Would just send the CAD model of the circuit board to the mechanical peeps and hope it wasn't too far off from what they wanted. . .

Thro on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Decatus wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HELL YES GOT THE OFFER FROM PORTLAND SCREW YOU CRAPPY PART OF CALIFORNIA IM OUTTA HERE.

...Shit there's a lot to do this summer. Time to start getting rid of junk.

Congrats.

Also how's your winter driving?

• Options
    Thro wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    You can tell how old a Canadian company is, or how much work it has to do for American companies, by how grumpy the machinist is about using metric or imperial

I'm at the point with design work where I'll just swap between them at will based on the scale of the thing I'm trying to measure, and thank God modelling programs will let me enter either one with a unit and convert to whatever the drawing unit is set to

I am always mad that our blueprints are in imperial measurements so I have to talk about things with tolerances measured in the tenths of a thousandth of an inch. Fuck is wrong with these people?

One time a Japanese company we work with blew up a test engine because they reasonably figured that +/-0.0005 would be a metric measurement.

I enjoy watching machining youtube - like This Old Tony and Abom79. When they start talking about 10ths, I get REALLY fucking confused.

It's part of our orientation training here, "When someone says '5 tenths' they mean 5 tenths of a thou, but no one has time for that and if they say it's out by 10 they mean it's out by ten tenths of a thou or just 1 thousandth of an inch."

Also there's at least one part that has a requirement down to the hundred thousandths for a feature and man fuck that part.
    I worked at a job that used 'mils'. Just, constantly, everything was number of mils long, thick, whatever.
    I was pretty sure it was 'millionth of an inch', but wasn't positive it wasn't some metric thing or actually a thousandth of an inch since that seemed to be make more sense based on the designs and I hit the point where I had been working there WAY to long to ask now.
    Luckily I was just the EE guy so as long as the 0805 resistor fit on the 0805 pad it was mostly fine. Would just send the CAD model of the circuit board to the mechanical peeps and hope it wasn't too far off from what they wanted. . .

it's thousandths of an inch, just for future reference. Not at all confusing when trying to also talk about millimetres without articulating the whole damn word, no siree ...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    When a medical person says mils they typically mean milliliters.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    When a baker talks about mills they mean flour mills.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    circuit design is the only thing I default to imperial on, and that's only because a lot of common components are sized in imperial so if you work in metric all your numbers look stupid.

I don't like it though.

tynic on