As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professional Container Ship Drift Racing

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Herzog talking about chickens is one of my favorites

https://youtu.be/QhMo4WlBmGM

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Weaver wrote: »
    Eight years from now there's going to be a docu-drama about this stupid ship with all manner of overused camera zoom and dramatic narration
    it's already in the making

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Evergreen Marine should sell ad space on Ever Given and string up some banners

Everybody's watching the ship now, might as well start recouping losses

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I keep reading it as Eva green, and now I imagine the ship is like stuck there with dangerous, sexy, manic French vampire seductress energy, daring anyone to come close, luring diggers to a sexy death

Prohass on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Just build a lock over the boat

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Have they tried honking at it?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is there an account yet of how this actually wound up happening? Are the crew just like, sequestered on the ship or something?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Just build a lock over the boat

We could build a canal around the boat, over Sauron's defenses!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Why don't the eagles just lift the boat?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Why don't The Eagles just lift the boat?

They were too busy recording "Hotel California"

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Imagine being the captain of the first ship to pass through the Suez after it gets unblocked and knowing that you have the potential to do the funniest thing that anyone has ever done ever.

tweeter is some guy

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    is there an account yet of how this actually wound up happening? Are the crew just like, sequestered on the ship or something?

From my understanding the boat is just straight up too big for the canal. It's size combined with some physics stuff caused the water to push the boat in such a way that it got wedged sideways.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    There isn't a dude whose job it is to say "hey your boat can't fit through here, kindly fuck off"?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    There isn't a dude whose job it is to say "hey your boat can't fit through here, kindly fuck off unless you give me some money"?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There isn't a dude whose job it is to say "hey your boat can't fit through here, kindly fuck off"?

You gonna tell that to a big ship?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I hope there's footage of the crash. I hope it leaks.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

From my understanding the boat is just straight up too big for the canal. It's size combined with some physics stuff caused the water to push the boat in such a way that it got wedged sideways.

yeah but like, how does a boat that's too big for the canal wind up in the canal? I assume these routes are planned like, well in advance and the captain's not just like 'yanno, we could shave off a couple days if we cut through the suez and I gotta get home before my dvr fills up'

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Hubris.

It's a modern day Odyssey

• Options
    I'm going to assume people have been paying off authorities to drive too big ships through the canal for a while and this is the first time it bit them in the ass.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I'm going to assume people have been paying off authorities to drive too big ships through the canal for a while and this is the first time it bit them in the ass.

My bar for humanity after the last 4 years is so low that I don’t think bribes would even be needed, just cost cutting and terrible management everywhere leading to the inevitable

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Eight years from now there's going to be a docu-drama about this stupid ship with all manner of overused camera zoom and dramatic narration
    it's already in the making

That sounds like the music in the Mass Effect games.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It was hit by a sandstorm. 75kph/45mph winds, bad visibility, you'd wreck a ship too

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Chall wrote: »
    Elaro wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It was hit by a sandstorm. 75kph/45mph winds, bad visibility, you'd wreck a ship too

You've been hit by-
    You've been struck by-
    Da rude Sandstorm

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Okay no, the boat is under SuezMax limits for length, draft, and air draft (but is too wide on the beam)

There was either fuckery from the wind/weather/physics, a mechanical failure, a crew fuckup(s), and/or the Suez pilots just decided to stop giving a fuck because their bribe was too small/late

My bet is the first (wind) and the last (late $$), because there were crosswinds greater than 20kts and that is A LOT of surface area to push against (I can do the maths if you really want me to)

Usagi on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Are the Suez pilots as notoriously corrupt/lazy as I've been hearing?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Signs point to yes

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Prohass wrote: »

My bar for humanity after the last 4 years is so low that I don’t think bribes would even be needed, just cost cutting and terrible management everywhere leading to the inevitable

Yeah its probably not even bribes it's just some management dude going "ships are down since pandemic, find a way to get more ships or I don't get my bonus!"

TheStig on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Okay no, the boat is under SuezMax limits for length, draft, and air draft (but is too wide on the beam)

There was either fuckery from the wind/weather/physics, a mechanical failure, a crew fuckup(s), and/or the Suez pilots just decided to stop giving a fuck because their bribe was too small/late

My bet is the first (wind) and the last (late $$), because there were crosswinds greater than 20kts and that is A LOT of surface area to push against (I can do the maths if you really want me to)

I really wish I was a fly on the wall of your workplace when this all just happened.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

You've been hit by-
    You've been struck by-
    Da rude Sandstorm

• Options
    glqczuszyh8a.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I hope there's footage of the crash. I hope it leaks.

That'll just make the ship harder to move.

Edit: unless the leak is really big, then the other ships can go through.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    This brings up a good point - is this too early in the year to be the most common Halloween costume this year, or will it be a classic deep cut joke that only cool rebels like me wear?

It could even be a couples costume, EVER GIVEN and Sexy Suez Canal?

• Options
    Chall wrote: »
    This brings up a good point - is this too early in the year to be the most common Halloween costume this year, or will it be a classic deep cut joke that only cool rebels like me wear?

It could even be a couples costume, EVER GIVEN and Sexy Suez Canal?

I'm 100% confident people will forget all about this in a month.

• Options
    Excellent, the perfect obscure, baffling reference for a costume

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    So, four main things I think.

1. The canal isn't as big as it looks.

ExWE7yZVIAIppVv.png

Big boats are supposed to stay on the left, the right is just for tugs. It's not deep the whole way across.

2. There's a physics effect where when a ship gets close to a bank, pressure starts pulling it in.

3. 'Wind'

4. The ship is so damn big that once it started drifting to the side from 3, 2 made it spin even harder, and the size meant it blocked off the entire canal. And 1 means that it's actually grounded on a significant length of the ship, not just the part the excavator was digging out.

Basically the size of the thing turned what would be a minor piloting oopsie into a global economic disaster.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm also good at science and in my opinion the boat is stuck because when water goes over sand the sand gets real sticky, and some of that sticky sand got on the boat and then the boat got stuck