As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professional Container Ship Drift Racing

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    have we tried cutting a hole in the boat that's big enough for other boats

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What if we actually tried to make the sea level rise really fast

Burn that coal!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if wind is what made it get stuck in the first place can we not just turn some fans on in the opposite direction............... this seems like a no brainer please elect me president of egypt

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    have we tried cutting a hole in the boat that's big enough for other boats

This is genius level thinking

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Typically when something is wedged in real good you gotta put some WD40 and hit it real hard with a hammer, they oughta try that

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Need to get King Kong to move the boat.

King_King_Ship.jpg?itok=hB0OgtMZ

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I really am somewhat curious how this will all play out in the end.

The more information that comes out about this, the more I'm starting to think they're not getting that ship unstuck anytime soon and that there's a good chance something catastrophic happens with the refloating efforts.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    i read about cargo ships for 10 whole minutes on wikpedia

in this 37 minute youtube video i will explain exactly how everyone besides me is a simpleton, please give me ten million dollars to un stick the boat

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    1) It'll take weeks, possibly months
    2) don't put Wind in quote marks, this was a full on Khamsin that affected the entire lower Levant
    3) at this point it may very well be likely that draining the ship of fuel and dismantling/straight blowing it up is faster, cheaper and more practically feasible than refloating it

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Need to get King Kong to move the boat.

King_King_Ship.jpg?itok=hB0OgtMZ

Typically it's Godzilla that rises out of the ocean in the cartoons.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    2) don't put Wind in quote marks, this was a full on Khamsin that affected the entire lower Levant
    3) at this point it may very well be likely that draining the ship of fuel and dismantling/straight blowing it up is faster, cheaper and more practically feasible than refloating it

Draining the ship of its liquids/removing containers will likely be part of the solution but holy balls how did you get to the conclusion that dismantling it or blowing it up would be easier than refloating it??

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

so like, granted, I know nothing about the topic at hand

but is there no regulatory body whose job it is to say "hey there's a giant fuckin' sandstorm, do not send the enormous rectangle with 'I am a physics demonstration' painted on the side through the narrow canal that's vitally important for global commerce"

because if not, seriously??????

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    to both replies - you vastly misjudge the competence, incorruptibility, and pressure from corporate to just get this thing over with applied to the people in charge of this debacle

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Y'all may be shocked to know this but shit runs aground all the time (just y'know, not in the Suez canal lmao)

The marine salvage industry exists because of shit like this

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Usagi wrote: »
    Y'all may be shocked to know this but shit runs aground all the time (just y'know, not in the Suez canal lmao)

yes but a) that costs money b) suez aint sydney, the land near the canal is mostly basic cropland bordered by a literally biblical desert with no infrastructure, getting the equipment there and setting it up would require significant investment all on its own for a ship of this scale

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

yes but a) that costs money b) suez aint sydney, desert with no infrastructure, getting the equipment there and setting it up would require significant investment all on its own for a ship of this scale

I mean, I think I'm gonna trust Usagi, who actually has experience in this industry, over internet detective work.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    to both replies - you vastly misjudge the competence, incorruptibility, and pressure from corporate to just get this thing over with applied to the people in charge of this debacle

I can say with confidence that "blowing it up" is not going to just get this thing over with

Ships do not explode or dismantle like you may imagine (go poof into dust) and are designed to keep floating with multiple holes banged in them

yes but a) that costs money b) suez aint sydney, desert with no infrastructure, getting the equipment there and setting it up would require significant investment all on its own for a ship of this scale

You think Evergreen and it's parent companies aren't the ones footing the bill here?

And international marine salvage is a Thing, especially in the Middle East (that oil has to get places somehow)

• Options
    ships don't explode into a neat bundle of raw materials?

video games have lied to me again

• Options
    I'll still give it a 50-50 chance, the longer this goes on the more drastic the pressure applied to the decision makers to resolve this, and the more fanciful the solutions they try to reach will be

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Final word

Stop mansplaining my fucking job to me

• Options
    this has nothing to do with you or your job? I'm speaking as someone from the region who's familiar with the subject

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm really interested in how they'll get the cargo off that ship since I'm almost certain any cranes large enough to actually reach are large enough to require much more stable ground than they'll get on the banks of the canal.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    this has nothing to do with you or your job? I'm speaking as someone from the region who's familiar with the subject

Pfttthahahahahahaha

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Look if I misjudged the conversation then I fully apologize, it was not my intention to offend or condescend though that does not excuse it

I was trying to give an opinion, one informed by my point of view, not dismiss or discredit that of someone else who has a professional understanding of the matter, least of all on grounds of gender

Again, I am genuinely sorry and regret having said anything that might cast aspersions. I'll refrain from commenting further.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "I live here, therefore I know more than someone who does this shit for a living."

Come on Indie.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    I’m sad it’s an Evergreen ship that’s stuck. Always liked them.

Should’ve been a Hapag-Lloyd. Or even worse, Maersk.
    This is an interesting fandom i'd like to know more about

It's more work damage than fandom. The shipping business has a limited number of actors so if you work in a container port for a few years you end up getting exposed to most of them.

My ranking of shipping lines is based on a combination of how pretty their containers are and how good their staff were to deal with last decade.
    1. Hamburg Süd - Nice red cans, one of the only big lines that had a local office and not just a big Gothenburg one
    2. CMA/CGM - Nice french people. Good blue cans.
    3. K-Line - Good red color, and I'm glad they decided to go with K-Line and not print KKK all over their containers and ships
    4. Evergreen - Green cans! Together with the red ones above they create the most Christmassy stacks.
    5. MSC - Very bureaucratic. Yellow cans, good color but not my favorite.
    6. Hyundai - Nice people, also red cans but for some reason I never liked them that much.
    7. COSCO - Their invoice approval process takes about six months for some insane reason. I think maybe they ship the documents back and forth to Asia.
    8. Hapag-Lloyd - Had to deal with some very annoying people there. Kinda boring cans, lots of different older designs.
    9. Maersk - Doesn't acknowledge the existence of the east coast of Sweden. Think everything should go to Gothenburg and then travel on by train or truck. Gets very upset when one of their cans ends up on the east coast ports by accident.

okay but have you considered MOL? they have the greatest mascot.
    or ONE, the pink cans are very distinct looking.

you're on the atlantic i'm guessing, and i'm on the pacific, so there are some regionals i've never seen in your list.
    can second that hapag-lloyd and maersk kinda suck.

@Flarne
    @Doodmann

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Weaver was warned for this.
    Edit: sorry, Indie, this was too far

Weaver on
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    The Israeli wants to fire rockets at the problem.

now that is uncalled for

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    A Dutch marine salvage company is even already working on it

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/25/981128288/it-might-take-weeks-to-free-ship-stuck-in-suez-canal-salvage-company-says?t=1616829883344

Article basically says what usagi's been saying.

Also by the numbers in the article, the part that's grounded might be up to 6m deep in the ground.

The same Dutch company was also involved with the salvage of the similarly sized CSL Indian Ocean five years ago

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cscl-indian-ocean-refloated-on-spring-tide

honovere on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Remember that time that town in Oregon tried to blow up a whale carcass to get rid of it but instead of it vaporizing or whatever the fuck they thought would happen to it they just threw whale bits for miles ruining tons of property and making a bigger mess to clean up?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    I’m sad it’s an Evergreen ship that’s stuck. Always liked them.

Should’ve been a Hapag-Lloyd. Or even worse, Maersk.
    This is an interesting fandom i'd like to know more about

It's more work damage than fandom. The shipping business has a limited number of actors so if you work in a container port for a few years you end up getting exposed to most of them.

My ranking of shipping lines is based on a combination of how pretty their containers are and how good their staff were to deal with last decade.
    1. Hamburg Süd - Nice red cans, one of the only big lines that had a local office and not just a big Gothenburg one
    2. CMA/CGM - Nice french people. Good blue cans.
    3. K-Line - Good red color, and I'm glad they decided to go with K-Line and not print KKK all over their containers and ships
    4. Evergreen - Green cans! Together with the red ones above they create the most Christmassy stacks.
    5. MSC - Very bureaucratic. Yellow cans, good color but not my favorite.
    6. Hyundai - Nice people, also red cans but for some reason I never liked them that much.
    7. COSCO - Their invoice approval process takes about six months for some insane reason. I think maybe they ship the documents back and forth to Asia.
    8. Hapag-Lloyd - Had to deal with some very annoying people there. Kinda boring cans, lots of different older designs.
    9. Maersk - Doesn't acknowledge the existence of the east coast of Sweden. Think everything should go to Gothenburg and then travel on by train or truck. Gets very upset when one of their cans ends up on the east coast ports by accident.

okay but have you considered MOL? they have the greatest mascot.
    or ONE, the pink cans are very distinct looking.

you're on the atlantic i'm guessing, and i'm on the pacific, so there are some regionals i've never seen in your list.
    can second that hapag-lloyd and maersk kinda suck.

Flarne
    Doodmann

We only had a few MOL come through so never noticed that. It did remind me of China Shipping though that had pandas all over their containers. They’re part of COSCO now though.

Technically I’m on the Baltic but yeah pretty much only South America/Europe or Asia/Europe traffic.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Last year was the 50th anniversary of the exploding whale incident!

• Options
    Honestly the own goals humanity has been scoring against ourselves here for the last few years I really am expecting the sort of fuck up where this ship cracks right in half, or capsizes.

Or for what is going to be some assuredly very large machinery also falling into the canal.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I don't think that ship could capsize there, much in the same way you cannot capsize a pool table in a bathtub.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I don't think that ship could capsize there, much in the same way you cannot capsize a pool table in a bathtub.

I bet I could

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'll capsize anything anywhere, I don't even give a frick

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Not with that attitude.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    All this talk about forces pushing the ship to the side of the canal reminds me of this bit from Terry Pratchett
    Can I tell you something very interesting about ships?"

It wasn't exactly what Glenda had expected, but somehow it was one hundred percent Nutt. "Please tell me the interesting thing about ships," she said.

"The interesting thing about ships is that the captains of ships have to be very careful when two ships are close together at sea, particularly in calm conditions. They tend to collide.

"To put it simply, each ship shields the other ship from lateral waves on one side, so by small increments outside forces bring them closer without their realising it."

"Oh! It's a metaphor?" said Glenda, relieved. "You think we're being pushed together . . . if we don't do anything we'll just get closer and closer?"

"Yes," said Nutt.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Just make the canal wider???

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Alright check this out I'm gonna dress up like a real sexy lady boat and then I'm gonna use my sultry boat charms to lure the boat out of the canal there's no way it could resist the lure of my bodacious bulkheads

Juggernut on