As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professional Container Ship Drift Racing

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Get an excavator, mount it to the front of a tug, then drive that tug into the side of the canal so it grounds itself

That way you've got a solid platform for the excavator to do its job

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m thinking: balloons.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If I owned a canal I would simply not have a shallow part where ships could beach themselves

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    If I owned a canal I would construct giant pinball flippers on tracks along both sides. If I had the money to own a canal I would wear a cape and carry a cane with a golden flamingo head.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maybe for windy weather the canal should put bumpers up like bowling alleys when kids play

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Don't know why they don't just put some boards under it and let a little air out of the tires.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Don't know why they don't just put some boards under it and let a little air out of the tires.

PIVOT!!!

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Captain: should we go through the Suez?
    Magic 8-ball: Whatever floats your boat!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bodacious

Bulkhead

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    What if we get a bigger boat to eat the boat

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Introduction of an invasive species to exterminate an invasive species rarely ends well.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    How about we build a ramp on either side of the boat. That way the other boats can just do sick jumps to get over it.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Alright check this out I'm gonna dress up like a real sexy lady boat and then I'm gonna use my sultry boat charms to lure the boat out of the canal there's no way it could resist the lure of my bodacious bulkheads
    Just wash your poop deck first, you never know how the night will go.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I can't wait for Elon Musk to propose some stupid over the top idea and when people explain to him how it won't work he a accuses them of being pedophiles like when those kids got trapped in a cave.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I can't wait for Elon Musk to propose some stupid over the top idea and when people explain to him how it won't work he a accuses them of being pedophiles like when those kids got trapped in a cave.

One billion Falcon 9 Rockets (reused, natch) versus one big boat

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Another good tumblr post: "Of all the lines from "We Didn't Start the Fire" that I expected to be relevant this week, "trouble in the Suez" was pretty far down the list."

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Introduction of an invasive species to exterminate an invasive species rarely ends well.

::dejectedly puts boat-eating gorillas back in their boxes::

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Boy I bet the wildlife down the cape of good hope is enjoying the sudden incursion of fifty billion gigantic boats blasting quad 5000000HP engines and blowing horns and dumping bilge and pulsing sonar and lidar and blechtus and bupkus

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

Thought he was gonna suggest using one of his boring machines to cut a hole through the boat

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Thought he was gonna suggest using one of his boring machines to cut a hole through the boat

I don't think you can cut a hole through a boat with a rocket ship

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    No his stupid tunnel machines for the dumb ass loop car subway

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    have we tried filling the boat with phlogiston

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Alright check this out I'm gonna dress up like a real sexy lady boat and then I'm gonna use my sultry boat charms to lure the boat out of the canal there's no way it could resist the lure of my bodacious bulkheads

Mmmmm, nice futtocks

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i was wondering this morning when I woke up if the boat was still stuck and I was relieved to remember that we have a website to answer this urgent question

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Have they tried turning it off and back on again?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Can we just let Elon drill under miami already? Just let him lose a few machines down there. Payment on completion of project only of course.

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

Mmmmm, nice futtocks

I don’t get this pun but I loved it anyway

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Mmmmm, nice futtocks

This is maybe the second time in my life I've bitterly cursed my lack of nautical terminology awareness. It's a more frequent occurrence than I would've imagined.

• Options

Mmmmm, nice futtocks

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The shape he's making with his hands in the thumbnail while talking about futtocks is perfect in this context.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Mmmmm, nice futtocks

they're lames then?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I was checking to see if possibly 1 billion ants could assist in moving the Ever Given.

Google says that ants typically weigh between 1 - 5 mg, so let's assume they are all the average of 3 mg.

Google also says that ants can typically lift between 10-50 times their weight. Again, let's aim for the middle and say they can lift 30 times their weight.

So let's assume we have one billion ants weighing 3 mg that can lift 30 times their weight.

One metric ton is equivalent to... 1e+9 milligrams? One billion milligrams is a ton? Wow, that's so clean, I wish we didn't fuck around with Imperial measurements.

So we have 3 tons of ants that can lift... 90 tons?

And the Ever Given is... a deadweight tonnage of 199,629 tons. Well shit.

• Options
    Here's a fun boat fact

Deadweight tonnage is just the measurement of how much shit a ship can carry, and doesn't include the actual weight of the ship itself!

So the Ever Given's deadweight is about 200k tonnes, but it's actual displacement (deadweight + weight of the ship) is probably like 240k tonnes.

If you want to bake your noodle ask me about gross/net tonnage, which are volumetric measurements and have nothing to do with how much the boat weighs :+1:

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    If not that one I’m surprised no one has thought of this:
    https://youtu.be/sLgBmsgiayQ

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the structural integrity of the boat in that scene seems a bit much

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I can't believe we're all overlooking the obvious solution

ebc431zbc7ey.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wouldn't that just result in two halves of one ship still blocking the canal?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    No, it wouldn't.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I assume that would play out exactly like the scene in Thor where Stan Lee tears his truck apart.