Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

I didn't realize that Dan used a tazer to wake himself up in college, but in addition to explaining a lot I think... yeah that makes total sense he would absolutely do that.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    This Friday Night Forking thing is baffling and wild. Still working through it and I have no idea what's going on.

I just do not know what the fuck was happening in this. I think it's pure zoomer humour? I have a 14 year old brother and this seems like the random deep fried insanity he and his pals enjoy, maybe?

This is more eric andre than tim n eric, holy cow giantbomb is really just trying every aspect of content they can shoot for, huh. Hey, good for them, add it to the archives.

The many eras of the site known as Giantbomb.

edit: I take it back I finished it, this fucking rocked. It's trying so much harder than the early era Giantbomb skits, but I'm glad they're going for it. I enjoyed the stupid and earnest absurd energy.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    it feels like a direct descendent of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, which was a big inspo for Eric Andre.

so in that sense very much in the wheelhouse of absurdist millennial humor, but maybe being less stoner/more frenetic gives it a zoomer feel

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Yeah, the kids these days are poppin' adderall like tropical skittles on a summer day, so the focused intensity of the energy level completely checks out, great point

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Jeff mentioned on his show the past few weeks that he didn't want to name his new thing after himself, because he has eventual plans to work with others/hire a staff. But he couldn't go with the name he had in mind because it was too evocative of Giant Bomb, which he didn't seem to want his work to be associated with anymore (understandable if he didn't have any ownership stake in it by the time he left, and also they fired him unceremoniously).

I wonder what this will look like in a few years, because it sounds like Jeff has plans.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    It's also not lost on me when Jeff talks about the news and instances of corporate incompetence, like Embracer buying Square Enix Montreal, renaming them, and then shutting them down. "Sometimes a corporation only wants one thing but has to buy a bunch of stuff with it, and then they don't know what to do with it so they shut it down or sell it off for somebody else to deal with. I AM TALKING ABOUT EMBRACER."

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Does Jeff do guests? I'm used to Bill Burr's solo monday mornings, and Jeff couldn't keep me nearly as engaged with his podcast early-on.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Does Jeff do guests? I'm used to Bill Burr's solo monday mornings, and Jeff couldn't keep me nearly as engaged with his podcast early-on.

He had Ben on at least once. He also had Danny on. I haven't listened to them yet.

• Options
    He had Danny O'Dwyer on a week or two ago, and Dave Snider on the week before that. And he's had Ben Pack on once.

Jeff said that lots of people have been supportive and offered to do the show, he's just not good at getting back to them/actually making plans and following through. Though he's wondered aloud over the past few weeks if Phil Spencer still wants to talk with him, after Phil said on Twitter that he wanted to hang out with Jeff in his garage when he was cleaning it out last year. Jeff changed cities, jobs, and garages since that tweet.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Good Arcade Pit matchup today! Both Grubb and Dan are on.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dang, apparently Windbag does the Friday Night Forking show (dunno if it's the same name but it's the same thing) 4 times a week and only the Thursday show is on Giant Bomb. I can't fathom having the energy and mental fortitude to do that for multiple hours 4x a week. Dude is insanely talented.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Nexlander doing their Extra Life stuff. Big Zaddy is back in FF14.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dang, apparently Windbag does the Friday Night Forking show (dunno if it's the same name but it's the same thing) 4 times a week and only the Thursday show is on Giant Bomb. I can't fathom having the energy and mental fortitude to do that for multiple hours 4x a week. Dude is insanely talented.

He's kinda like Dan but with the energy of youth.

It's interesting that Nextlander is teaming with Giant Bomb again. I have to wonder if the douchenozzles who fucked over Jeff are still with the company and if he'd be keen on teaming with the old crews if they aren't, given the company jumped ownership again.

• Options

He's kinda like Dan but with the energy of youth.

It's interesting that Nextlander is teaming with Giant Bomb again. I have to wonder if the douchenozzles who fucked over Jeff are still with the company and if he'd be keen on teaming with the old crews if they aren't, given the company jumped ownership again.

Is Windbag particularly younger than Dan? I'm terrible at telling people's age, but I'd guess both were in their 30s.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I think the youngest people Dan associates with publicly are the broadway performer guy and Abby, and he openly says he doesn't understand them.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I'm curious if we'll ever see any Giant Bomb, Nextlander, Waypoint or Jeff Gerstmann presence at PAX ever again. Even without the pandemic it really felt like presenters just got tired of coming.

That was basically my #1 reason for going to PAX in the end, and while I'm not keen on attending again anytime soon, the idea that I'd never go to a PAX again after attending so many in the past is rather sad.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I think the youngest people Dan associates with publicly are the broadway performer guy and Abby, and he openly says he doesn't understand them.

The list of shit Dan doesn't understand is the list of things in the universe minus professional wrestling.

• Options
    I would go to hang out with my internet friends who I met via the GB community (mods, site contributors, friends of the site, etc.) and then we'd go see GB/GB adjacent panels (Dave Lang's list building panel, for example)

But yeah, since COVID and time passing, a lot of them just got too busy to go or don't want to be near so many people anymore. They've decided they can live without PAX Pox or worse. I have a friend in Seattle and a friend in Boston and even then, they're like "Ehhh, maybe I'll pop by if people are hanging out outside the event". They know the right people so they can get in for free, but they barely go to the event anymore except to hang out at TableTop.

And you definitely got the vibe that PAX became a chore for the staff too, or at least less of a priority: Vinny and his family stopped doing PAX and seemed to take a family vacation every year instead. Jeff was flying back and forth between Seattle and Petaluma when his wife had that cancer scare, etc.

Maybe with the new staff being made up of mostly younger, childless people, they'll go back: I can see Dan getting up to wacky stuff out there with Jan and Jess.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Uh oh, punishment has come due for Grubb!

https://youtu.be/P4_rw0a2O38

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    I like how Alex seems to have bequeathed Blight Club to GB since he isn't using it/doesn't need it anymore.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Thoughts on the fact that Giant Bomb is now pushing Steam key reseller codes for games they're reviewing on their youtube page?

Personally, I'm not super surprised but it is pretty disappointing when you consider the genesis of the site and how it came to be. Jess went pretty hard in the paint defending it in a string of tweets she's now deleted. Personally, I thought she was way off in her take (essentially that shilling games is no different than shilling boner pills) and kind of missed the point of the wall between sales/editorial.

I get that GB isn't really a review site per se but something about it still feels icky. I've got to imagine this is the exact opposite of what someone like Gerstmann would've allowed - which may explain a lot of what's gone down recently too.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's a reason they always called out Friends Of The Site when commenting on their creations- it's not a friendly shout out, it's a "we may be biased, viewer beware" warning to the viewers.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Where is GB even making reviews? They certainly aren't showing up on youtube.

Someone talking while playing the first hour of a game isn't any more of a "review" than all those unboxings all over youtube.

But anyway the whole reason a firewall is needed is because... games media has been shilling games since inception. A good firewall means it doesn't affect the reviews. They wouldn't need a firewall to shill toasters.

• Options
    The official "review" reviews are on their website. Dan just posted one for the new Rabbids/Mario game the other day.

Even if people don't go there for reviews anymore, they're still there.

And yeah, I think it's one of those things where I understand why they did it, but also Jess might just need to learn how to log off occasionally. Her points were salient until she got to the one about how "all reviews are advertising" and thus it's not a problem to use affiliate links and offer codes on games because they do ads for boner pills and it's the same thing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Their Quicklooks are also effectively reviews - even if they're called something else. There's some nuance there for sure but I think it's kind of splitting hairs.

I also agree that Jess could probably stand to not be so terminally online but understand that she's an adult that can do what she wants. I personally don't get it - but I'm honestly not "getting" a lot of what GB is doing these days (as I've said before) outside of Dan/Grubb/Jan.

• Options
    They undoubtedly took a big subscriber hit when Jeff left, and at the same time as they hired up. Being under new management probably doesn't help, so more monetization schemes aten't surprising.

Getting to join a place like Giant Bomb, which Jess has said she was a fan of, only to see it almost immediately hit rocky straights is probably hella stressful. Imagine being given the keys to something you love only to see it hit a massive rough patch.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Thoughts on the fact that Giant Bomb is now pushing Steam key reseller codes for games they're reviewing on their youtube page?

Personally, I'm not super surprised but it is pretty disappointing when you consider the genesis of the site and how it came to be. Jess went pretty hard in the paint defending it in a string of tweets she's now deleted. Personally, I thought she was way off in her take (essentially that shilling games is no different than shilling boner pills) and kind of missed the point of the wall between sales/editorial.

I get that GB isn't really a review site per se but something about it still feels icky. I've got to imagine this is the exact opposite of what someone like Gerstmann would've allowed - which may explain a lot of what's gone down recently too.

wow really? is there a log of those tweets anywhere?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    https://imgur.com/a/r6niLwd

edit: FWIW, Grubb showed up in the thread to basically say it's not that big of a deal, and that they're pros who can navigate the murky waters of a situation like this.

Meanwhile, he's also getting justifiably raked over coals on the subreddit for apparently admitting on a recent Bombcast that he plays Marvel Snap on his phone while driving his car.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I was driving while listening to that part of the bombcast and wanted to reach through the speakers and smack him. "I can do it I drive a lot" motherfucker no you can't.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Even if that were true (which its not, shut up) admitting that publicly is basically putting you in a precarious legal position the next time you're in an accident, even if you weren't doing it at the time.

Also, holy shit distracted driving is really bad, what the fuck Grubb?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    lmaooooo
    Even if that were true (which its not, shut up) admitting that publicly is basically putting you in a precarious legal position the next time you're in an accident, even if you weren't doing it at the time.

Also, holy shit distracted driving is really bad, what the fuck Grubb?

Ah so that was what was going on. What a silly dum-dum

• Options
    Well he popped up in that thread to say he actually was backing out of his driveway and pulled his phone out to start playing, realized what he was doing, stopped the car, finished his game, then finished pulling out of his driveway. But he may have "played it up" for the podcast.

So he wasn't actually a scumbag, just pretending to be one.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Well he popped up in that thread to say he actually was backing out of his driveway and pulled his phone out to start playing, realized what he was doing, stopped the car, finished his game, then finished pulling out of his driveway. But he may have "played it up" for the podcast.

So he wasn't actually a scumbag, just pretending to be one.

Hopefully that's teh case and it's not him backtracking after being caught out as a person with breathtakingly bad driving safety.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

holy shit, what a stupid take. If she actually can't recognize why the community would be concerned about them doing literal discount ads for video games vs non video games I dunno what to say here.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Well she deleted them, so either she realized that and deleted it, someone above her told her to delete it, or (most likely) she was probably getting pushback/harassed for her bad take and got frustrated and deleted it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    comparing giant bomb reviews to the game awards or a nintendo direct is a pretty shocking thing for a journalist at giant bomb to say, that gives me the feeling they are absolutely desperate for money, I hope the site isn't on the ropes :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    it's difficult to imagine how it wouldn't be

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Her title is video producer not journalist so its not quite as bad. I think the only people who would count as journalists are the Jeffs and Dan.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    It's pretty bad. They're all seen as personalities and the content is designed around their takes, regardless of individual titles. Grubb might be the exception since he very specifically is doing news, though I haven't listened since GrubbSnaxx went away and I'm not sure if how he approaches news has changed.

I've pretty much bailed on GB content since Gerstmann left and they went free to play so I'm not really sure how successful things feel at the moment, but Jess's garbage take seems to sum things up pretty well.

can you feel the struggle within?