Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    None of them are journalists, really. Pundits at best.

But yeah, imagine your argument being "But G-Phoria exists". Can't wait till GB is pulling a Kinda Funny and have hosts doing press conferences for game companies.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Since their parent company resells games and they’re posting links to buy things through said company and they don’t consider themselves journalists but rather pitch people, will there any pressure to talk new games up and potentially encourage people to use those links?

They should do a Kane and Lynch retrospective

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    What I saw of the Entropy Centre quicklook was mostly Jess and Jan complaining about how it cribs too much from Portal, which if they're supposed to be shilling for stuff, is a real bad way of going about it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Are they owned by some shady Steam key reseller now?

• Options
    They're owned by Fandom, who also owns Fanatical, by way of Focus Multimedia.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    it's just wild to me that this is even happening. This is the literal reason Jeff was fired from gamespot

like what in the world. no wonder he was about to bail

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    it's just wild to me that this is even happening. This is the literal reason Jeff was fired from gamespot

Jeff left like five months ago under completely different ownership, though?

EDIT: And by left, I of course mean planned to leave and then got fired, but same point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Jeff wasn't fired because they advertise games, he was fired because there wasn't any firewall insulating his review from that.

Everything they are putting out for free *has* to be for the sake of selling advertisements. As long as their takes aren't slanted by links (not even full ads!) I don't see the issue.

Its hard to see how it even becomes a problem here, Fanatical has keys for virtually any game, they will pick up more sales from the well-reviewed ones. They aren't biased towards particular publishers giving them a fat check so a particular game has to hit well.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    It's definitely something to keep an eye on, but it's not the end of the world.

Jeff did a large part of his career while at Gamespot while they were hocking videogames at the same time, and that only went south when he got new managers who panicked when the publisher complained instead of ignoring them like they were supposed to.

Again, Entropy Centre is one of the videos that advertises a code sale and Jess spends the video talking about how she ultimately doesn't like the game, even though those kinds of games are usually up her alley. (I don't think it's that bad, personally, but 'pinions)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The other thing is like, a lot of listeners aren't okay with ads for boner pills! We just accept it because we know podcasts gotta turn a buck, but it's not like we love that shit either.

• Options
    I don’t think anyone is looking to giant bomb for integrity in games criticism anymore, so yeah it doesn’t really matter. If they can monetize enough of what they do to stay afloat, good for them.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    The other thing is like, a lot of listeners aren't okay with ads for boner pills! We just accept it because we know podcasts gotta turn a buck, but it's not like we love that shit either.

It’s pretty great that the voices I want to listen to can turn to Patreon and twitch to make a living and I can compensate them directly and not have to deal with (as many) ads. It’s certainly not a perfect business model—Jeff talking about getting sick recently and how that affected his ability to provide for his family is a really good example of this. As a consumer, though, I’m happy to hand money as directly as possible to those whose content I enjoy.

Six on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I dunno, Giant Bomb has always been on the journalism side of the fence compared to like, influencers / streamers who get paid to advertise games. Them advertising games does kind of step over that boundary. But who knows, maybe Giant Bomb as a journalistic site is dead and it's just a streamer collective now or something, idk.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Six wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone is looking to giant bomb for integrity in games criticism anymore, so yeah it doesn’t really matter. If they can monetize enough of what they do to stay afloat, good for them.

I mean, I was

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

hard disagree

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

Eh? Like, it hasn't really been a games journalism sight in like a decade now, but you could genuinely trust them to give their honest opinions on games. I've yet to see any reason to think that's changed as of yet, code offerings or no.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

This is borderline revisionism lmao

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I think it's pretty reasonable to mourn a site you once loved for being pretty objectively unique in a sea of otherwise shilly/shitty take-machines becoming exactly what they were created not to be.

• Options
    Agreed, I do mourn it. The site I really enjoyed doesn’t exist anymore, which is a shame.

• Options
    If anything, Jeff was thinking of leaving years ago, mostly due to what we understand in hindsight as corporate meddling, lack of resources/respect, and an overall disagreement with what the owners wanted the site to be/do and what he wanted to be/do.

So really, corporate demanding some ad based corporate synergy like this is a long time coming.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Holy shit, watching the Extra Life Mario Party 2 stream and turn 23 was something (they did a turn check and Dan was also off on his guess by only one). On Dan's turn he steals a star from Jess and then proceeds to land on a hidden block space containing another star.

Meanwhile everyone else has 17 coins or less and the turn ends with Dan having four stars and everyone else having just one. Mario Party!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    As far as the keys for games thing is concerned I wouldn't necessarily equate it to the Kane and Lynch situation with the bombardments of advertising GameSpot had up contrasting with Mr Gerstmann's "fuck you K&L!" review and the obvious kerfuffel surrounding that.

A link is so much more subtle and if they do it for all games (and not just some) and keep their opinions uninfluenced (which is not an issue now and I doubt will become one) then all I can muster up is a shrug. For me GB content has been great lately and I'm glad they have kept their identity (the spirit of GB anyway, the feel of the site is bound to change as the revolving in and out door of personalities keeps spinning) and are banging out excellent new features and QuickLooks and the like. Some of the content gets kind of specific but I really enjoyed the Albummer Monthtallica thing that just ended with that crew. Arcade Pit keeps being great but the one thing there is I wish each episode would have at least one person actually from Giant Bomb. Ideally two, if schedules permit.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    the K&L thing was specifically that he gave it a bad review and an editor was like "what if you gave it a... less bad review" and he said no. He wasn't fired for objecting to the entire concept of a videogame website having ads for videogame

• Options
    The word "kerfuffel" wasn't the best way to express that part admittedly, but yes.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    the K&L thing was specifically that he gave it a bad review and an editor was like "what if you gave it a... less bad review" and he said no. He wasn't fired for objecting to the entire concept of a videogame website having ads for videogame

Wasn't HE the editor? There was no editor above him. The people above him was the executives/bosses in suits/money people, who didn't care about the wall between sales and editorial.

Ultimately this Fanatical thing could be meaningless, it's just technically what this was supposed to prevent.

Taking ads from game companies when you're supposed to be covering games with no money changing hands. Not that it's what they're doing, but it LOOKS like that's what they're doing, hence the problems.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/GagFPnSG0j4

6:30 for the fired talk and 10:37 for Kane and Lynch talk.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Truly, a dish best served cold

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Enthusiast Press =/= Journalists; Vinny has even spoken to this years ago.

You should know by now if you trust the GB folks to be objective when talking about games.

This is a nothingburger and everyone waving their fists around are being weird.

If their segments start becoming #ad or #sponsored, you should raise an eyebrow. Or go the Gizmodo route and do "best of" type reviews just so they can make a link tree to Amazon referral storefronts.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Nah. Even if you do want to rest on the slim distinction between enthusiast press/influencer/journalist as it relates to entertainment coverage, it's still problematic to introduce sponsorship dollars into the equation because you don't know whether they're enjoying things/not enjoying things because they're being paid/not being paid.

• Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Enthusiast Press =/= Journalists; Vinny has even spoken to this years ago.

You should know by now if you trust the GB folks to be objective when talking about games.

This is a nothingburger and everyone waving their fists around are being weird.

If their segments start becoming #ad or #sponsored, you should raise an eyebrow. Or go the Gizmodo route and do "best of" type reviews just so they can make a link tree to Amazon referral storefronts.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Yes. Because humans aren't mercurial beings that are easily corrupted by influences such as money.

Even if I did agree with your original point, I'm not sure if you're up to date but GB is currently about 10% of the staff I would've trusted in the past and, on top of that, is under completely new ownership. That company being the one selling the game keys on their videos.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's not a matter of someone being Objective or Not Objectve, people will be subconsciously influenced by stuff, especially if it affects their living wage. I remember Jeff talking about how bad the "fly the press in to play a game for a day" events were in the past, because they would wine and dine you and you ended up projecting how much fun you had (and how special it made you feel) on your review.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2022
    Glal wrote: »
    It's not a matter of someone being Objective or Not Objectve, people will be subconsciously influenced by stuff, especially if it affects their living wage. I remember Jeff talking about how bad the "fly the press in to play a game for a day" events were in the past, because they would wine and dine you and you ended up projecting how much fun you had (and how special it made you feel) on your review.

yeah this
    human brain is very dumb, nothing we can do about that except avoid the things which are known to cause subconscious bias

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    It's pretty crazy they've never been subconsciously influenced about any of their coverage until now.

Again, we already have proof Jess has stated she didn't like something they offered a link for.
    Glal wrote: »
    I remember Jeff talking about how bad the "fly the press in to play a game for a day" events were in the past, because they would wine and dine you and you ended up projecting how much fun you had (and how special it made you feel) on your review.
    They are disclosing that if they talk about it and you can take that into account the level you think it effected their coverage.

GB has known people from virtually all of the big companies, including fucking Phil Spencer. Were you upset they'd have him on for the e3 stuff? Did it effect how they covered Microsoft stuff?

They haven't liked certain people or companies in the past. Are you upset they didn't disclose "enemy of the site"? It certainly could affect their coverage there.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Having Phil Spencer sit down for an interview once a year for 15 minutes is a very different thing than selling reseller CD keys (a shit practice in and of itself that is rife with corruption historically) on your QL/reviews.

If you can't see the potential conflict there I'm not sure what to tell you. It doesn't mean that it's absolute and ubiquitous - but it's definitely risky and more than a bit sketchy.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    There is always and has always been bias.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I firmly believe Jeff Gerstmann would never have consented to advertising CD keys in the video descriptions.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Having Phil Spencer sit down for an interview once a year for 15 minutes is a very different thing than selling reseller CD keys (a shit practice in and of itself that is rife with corruption historically) on your QL/reviews.

If you can't see the potential conflict there I'm not sure what to tell you. It doesn't mean that it's absolute and ubiquitous - but it's definitely risky and more than a bit sketchy.
    Having a friendly conversation with Phil Spencer is absolutely a big get and content for the site, which is, obviously affecting their money.

Of course I can see the conflict. I just think it's a very small percentage added.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg