Options

[Overwatch 2] OWCS Stage 1 Qualifiers in March

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    hKwtenL.jpg

Context:
    Houston was defending Anubis B, and Blase echo copied the Jakerat, and got two riptires to cap the point. And further context: Danteh recently had to go to the hospital because of testicular torsion.

Rock Lobster! on
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    Aspire has really been making the most of his 30 day contract to make the case for a more permanent signing.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Shock vs Defiant
    Shock don't look good. They look like a mid-tier team. They'll probably win today, but I expect Dallas to roll over them tomorrow.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Last night I witnessed a D.va shut down an ulting Genji with Mech Call. It was beautiful.

A lot of the casters/talent around pro OW have been pretty vocal about their dislike for the D.Va mech change and I honestly don't get it at all. Being able to do shit like this is so good!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Last night I witnessed a D.va shut down an ulting Genji with Mech Call. It was beautiful.

A lot of the casters/talent around pro OW have been pretty vocal about their dislike for the D.Va mech change and I honestly don't get it at all. Being able to do shit like this is so good!

Yeah I was talking about it with my friends I normally play with and we were like, if a D.Va kills you with mech call either
    1. you were really stupid and let her do it
    2. she outfoxed you, good for her.

Like, it's definitely gotten me a few times so far, because it's hard to get to used to respecting that space, but it it's a totally cool thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I like that it forces you to respect the staggered dva so she's more than just a free kill

in pickem news, other than Glads/Titans I've gotten every single scoreline right so far this weekend (I credited them with a map win that they obviously didn't deserve) so I've closed the gap on the very mighty jongyo

i'm almost tempted to change my fuel/shock prediction just to shake things up since we basically have almost the exact same preds and that's the only match left that I feel like could go either way, but I just think Dallas is too strong right now compared to Shock to go for San Francisco. Maybe I'll change to a 3-1 Dallas line just so I can feel good if I'm right about it.

• Options
    I was making progress with a bunch of perfect predictions this weekend. Then I made the mistake of putting my faith in...
    Atlanta (I thought they looked really strong last week).

I should've known better...

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    sometimes you're Ana with no sleep dart and no one kills the baby Dva as she walks menacingly towards you after throwing a bomb :(

yeah, I'm not convinced the shock will look all that great tomorrow - a 3-1 Dallas is definitely within view IMO. there were moments of the old shock brilliance, but I think Dallas have embodied that brilliance way more than they have so far. Glister seems to be extremely hit or miss and I think the support synergy is off - getting better, but again just not quite the same as before. Coupled with hero pools not impacting Dallas too much... pretty sure they walk away with the win, it's just a matter of how much of a fight shock will put up (which makes me sad, I like the storyline of massively dominant shock and dallas punching up towards that)

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I was making progress with a bunch of perfect predictions this weekend. Then I made the mistake of putting my faith in...
    Atlanta (I thought they looked really strong last week).

I should've known better...

To be fair, I can't blame anyone for feeling good about Atlanta after their performance last week. They definitely figured out what their strengths were in this hero pool and played to that. I actually think Glads and Atlanta have a lot of the same problems (inconsistently, trouble coordinating, crumble under pressure), it's just that Glads have more raw talent to carry them through. Birdring is just...so good.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    So I updated the numbers and after 67 non-playoff matches, there have been 7 matches that ended 3-2, while 3-1 and 3-0 are exactly split at 30 a piece. There hasn't been a single 3-2 match out of the 21 games played so far in the June Joust.

Of all the games for this tourney, Fuel/Shock does seem the most likely to go to 5 maps, but in the interest of variety I've decided to play the odds and predict a 3-1 win for Dallas. That way, unless Shock wins or Dallas 3-0's them one of us will benefit from the outcome.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Seoul have only tried one thing and they're totally out of ideas

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    fleta and lip are the best dps duo in the world right now and it's not even close

their tank line is only okay but they don't have to be great with a team like this

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    On one hand, I think Dallas will win over SF. On the other hand, so does everyone else. Strongly considering picking the contrarian position.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    On one hand, I think Dallas will win over SF. On the other hand, so does everyone else. Strongly considering picking the contrarian position.

Still on SF/DAL
    The match isn't over yet, but I didn't have the courage to pull the trigger on this one. If it was a regular match, I may have, but the double points had me tugging my collar each time I went to change my scoreline in Shock's favor.

• Options
    SF/DAL
    I've never been happier to be wrong, didn't think they'd pull it off after the way they looked yesterday but it's good to see them back in form. Scoreline definitely doesn't do the match justice, shit was close the whole time.

• Options
    SF/DAL
    I've never been happier to be wrong, didn't think they'd pull it off after the way they looked yesterday but it's good to see them back in form. Scoreline definitely doesn't do the match justice, shit was close the whole time.
    Yeah I was a hair's breath from changing my prediction to SF, kicking myself now for not having more faith in them. Glad to see SF still has it (and REALLY glad that they've got Glister back in the rotation, he's looking good), but man that could just as easily have gone the other way. June Joust tournament is gonna be fire.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I think Uber should have described that comp as GOATS-like, instead of GOATSy...

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh cool, when I made my predictions earlier today, and hit save, and it said hey we need you to login so we can save, don't worry, we saved all your picks.
    What they meant was "We ain't saved shit".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BOS/PAR
    First two maps closed in dominant fashion, just with different teams.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Ahahahaha Avalla, Paris' GM, dropped by Avast's co-stream to drop some information about Vestola, Paris' new off-tank they had to sign last minute due to Ellivote retiring for medical reasons.
    Paris literally scrimmed once with Vestola and it was immediately before today's match.

Also Didro Internet update
    Didro's original shitty Internet was due to being in an AirBnB. They are now in a real apartment, but the Internet doesn't get installed until Sunday so he's been playing on 4G the entire time since moving.

Baidol on
  • Options
    Dallas vs Florida
    If the rest of the series is as good as this first map, this'll be the best match of the week.

• Options
    Okay. I take that back. This'll be the worst match. Every fight lasts eons.

• Options
    This meta is kinda dumb

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    Ahahahaha Avalla, Paris' GM, dropped by Avast's co-stream to drop some information about Vestola, Paris' new off-tank they had to sign last minute due to Ellivote retiring for medical reasons.
    Paris literally scrimmed once with Vestola and it was immediately before today's match.

Also Didro Internet update
    Didro's original shitty Internet was due to being in an AirBnB. They are now in a real apartment, but the Internet doesn't get installed until Sunday so he's been playing on 4G the entire time since moving.

That kind of makes the result today even more amazing

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    This meta is kinda dumb

Yeah I'm a big fan of hero pools but it's unfortunate that this is what came out of it

Luckily it'll be dead basically as soon as pools are gone

• Options
    Seoul/Chengdu
    Profit is honestly the best dps that has ever played this game. He's just so good, on every hero, in every meta, mo matter what, it's insane

• Options
    Seoul/Chengdu
    Profit is honestly the best dps that has ever played this game. He's just so good, on every hero, in every meta, mo matter what, it's insane
    It's too bad he's on such a bizarre team. It's impossible to know if Seoul will bust out utter nonsense in a match or dominate.

• Options
    Florida/Washington
    Well, that was not the 3:0 I was expecting.

• Options
    June joust knockout picks/APAC games
    I haven't been able to watch the games cause I'm on vacation so I picked what I thought were safe picks to get out of the June joust knockouts since I'll be busy and didn't want to forget to make picks...

Only to find out that philly actually managed to drop a map to Valiant of all teams and knock themselves out of contention altogether, thus guaranteeing I won't get full points for APAC. Come the fuck on, fusion, who drops maps to Valiant these days??

• Options
    I meant to change my picks for the Chengdu/Hanzhou match, but forgot, and now I am sad.

• Options
    In retrospect I'm not sure why I thought philly was a safe pick for knockouts, they had an abysmal record compared to like, all the other teams. I think I'm still biased towards spark/charge = high potential but bad scores in spite of all evidence to the contrary this cycle. Couple that with panic picks and whoopsie.

• Options
    Watching some of the encore matches from the East division and they are piping in the crowd noise from the Hangzhou live event and its super weird after a year without live events.

• Options
    I got to watch some of the Spark vs Hunters match this morning and it was way more interesting than the NA matches this stage. Genji, Torb, Zarya, and Ana were all seeing play. And not just from the Hunters.

That Dallas vs Florida match completely turned me off the NA meta. I think it's genuinely the least interesting meta OWL has ever had.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    This is a reminder that you have about 8 hours to pick the four teams making it to next week. To help you make informed choices, the bracket is as follows:
    Gladiators (they get a bye), Fuel, and Outlaws are on one side of the NA bracket and Shock (they also get a bye), Uprising, and Reign on the other.

Over in APAC, it's NYXL vs Spark and Dynasty vs Dragons.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    APAC seems straight forward. NA is a little trickier, at least on Glads' side.

Since last cycle was chock full of upsets, I'm going the opposite direction. All chalk, all the time.

Edit: Glads, not Shock

SirToasty on
  • Options
    You think Shock's side is trickier? I'm the opposite. I'm fairly confident in the Shock, but have no idea who to choose from the other side of that bracket.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Yeah Shock definitely seems like a safe bet (I won't be surprised if they do lose, but they should definitely be seen as the favorites)

On the other side it feels like a complete toss-up. I decided to go with the Glads based purely on odds - the other teams have to win two matches to get through, while Glads only need one.

I will, sadly, not be at all surprised if/when they get 3-0'd by whichever team ends up against them.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    My bad, I meant the other side. I got confused when I was typing it. Shock's side is straightforward.

• Options
    I'm not that confident in the Shock, but they're probably favored, and if nothing else they only need to win one series, so in terms of betting odds they seem like a pretty obvious choice.

Glads only have to win one series too, but I'm a lot less confident in their ability to deliver in a big game versus either houston or dallas. I ended up going with Dallas but I feel like there's justification for any of the 3.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It was a good night for the PA crew...

But I am still slightly miffed that Baidol missed the Evil Dead reference.

Wait, no. Army of Darkness. That’s the one.

SixshotStriker on