As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 2] OWCS Stage 1 Qualifiers in March

BaidolBaidol I will hold him offEscape while you canRegistered User regular
edited February 18 in Social Entropy++
ss9MWWb.png
How it started.
NLJpxz8.jpg?1
How its going.

Looking to skip to the Overwatch 2 release discussion? Jump to page 41.

Overwatch 2 is the update/sequel to Overwatch. Like Overwatch, Overwatch 2 is a hero shooter where each player controls a character with unique abilities as part of a team in order to complete objectives. Unlike some first-player shooters where it is all about frags, Overwatch 2’s gameplay is heavily focused on using teamplay to do things like control a point or push a cart. The release plan for Overwatch 2, beyond gameplay changes, was to transition away from Overwatch’s single-purchase model to a free-to-play model bolstered by a brand new PvE mode. The first goal was met, the second was not, so Overwatch 2 in many ways looks more like an update rather than a full sequel. There is no announced release date for the PvE mode. Overwatch 2's PVP mode releases Tuesday, October 4, 2022.

To play Overwatch 2, download the battle.net desktop client, create an account, and then download the game. In order to play Overwatch 2, it is required to add a phone number to your Battle.net account. An anti-cheat/smurf/etc. measure, a phone number can be associated with only one account and pre-paid phone numbers cannot be used. That last restriction is concerning given how pre-paid phones are commonplace in many locations in the world and hopefully a resolution to that is found. If you previously played Overwatch on PC and console, you will need to merge those accounts before launching Overwatch 2.

New accounts will need to participate in the “First-Time User Experience”. New accounts will be restricted to a limited number of heroes and game modes that will unlock piecewise as games are played. Official estimates are around 100 matches to fully unlock everything, but we’ll see how reality is. New accounts will be able to play with friends, and if those friends have access to more heroes/game modes, the new account will also have full access.

FAQ

Q: I haven’t played since Overwatch’s launch. What’s changed in terms of gameplay?

A: Overwatch’s gameplay evolution can be divided into three main periods. At the start, there was no limit on the number of people who could play a character on a team, so you could have 6 Hanjos or, if you were playing meta, 3 Winstons and 3 Lucios. This eventually gave way to character restrictions where anyone could play any hero but only one copy of the hero was allowed on each team. Finally, role lock was introduced where every team needed two tanks, two damage, and two support characters so you had to lock your role in when queuing for a match. Overwatch 2 brings the biggest gameplay change since role lock. Teams were composed of six players in Overwatch, but in Overwatch 2 team size is reduced to five with each team having only a single tank. Damage characters play a larger role and tank characters are bulkier to compensate.

Q: Are there new Heroes?

A: There are three new heroes in Overwatch 2, the first released since Echo back in April 2020.

Sojourn - Damage
zAaZC95.png?1
A mid-range fighter using rapid projectiles. Successful hits charge her railgun and the energy can be released in a single sniper-like burst. She also gets to powerslide.

Junker Queen - Tank
9nZXTWo.jpg?2
A brawling melee tank that excels in getting up close and personal. Unique among the tanks as she can buff her allies and, with her ultimate, debuff her enemies.

Kiriko - Support
ePV7q6j.jpg?5
The newest of the set, Kirko will first be playable at the launch of Overwatch 2. A utility/healer hybrid in the vein of Zenyatta, Kiriko provides some healing in addition to a varied kit including a 3x headshot damage multiplier, higher even than Widowmaker’s fully-charged scoped headshot modifier. Rumored to be a hard character to play due to her varied abilities and precision aim requirements.

In addition to these completely new heroes, several previously existing heroes have had reworks. For example, Doomfist is now a tank instead of a damage character.

Q: What about game modes?

A: Assault, also known as 2CP, is gone. Maps like Hanamura and Anubis are fully removed from the game. In their place is a new game mode, Push. In Push, each team has a barrier that an NPC robot pushes in opposite directions. When a team controls the robot, it pushes their barrier, and when the other team kills them and takes the robot, the robot runs to the other barrier to push it. First to cap, or, much more likely, farthest to push, wins.

Q: What other game play changes are there?

A: I’m sure I’ll miss a bunch of things here. One moderate change is the removal of most crowd-control (CC) abilities from the game. Original Overwatch launch mechanics such as Cassidy’s flashbang and Mei’s full freeze have been removed. All classes also now have passive abilities such as supports autohealing after a short time of not taking damage.

Q: How is ActiBlizzard monetizing the game?

A: Like many FtP games, Overwatch 2 will use a battle pass system. There is a free battle pass version that will allow players to earn access to cosmetics and new heroes without paying a monetary cost. How long it takes to complete a free battle pass is still TBD. There will also be a “premium” paid battle pass that will give players access to fancier cosmetics and immediate access to new heroes.

Q: Is there crossplay?

A: Yes! Players could play with anyone on any system in any mode except for Competitive in Overwatch and this will presumably remain true in Overwatch 2.

Q: What is Overwatch League (OWL)?

A: OWL is the official esport of Overwatch and, now, Overwatch 2. The original plan was to create a franchise system where teams were tied to physical locations and would physically travel to play matches. Covid lockdowns euthanized this plan quickly, but even if Covid didn’t happen, I’m not convinced the ambitious scheme would have worked anyway. Matches these days are played primarily online with the occasional in-person “homestand”. Playoffs will be in-person this year starting on October 30 in Anaheim, California.

Q: How do I find other PA people to play with?

A: With a new launch comes a new player list. If you would like to find others to play with, add yourself to the Google Sheet linked here: Player list. Note that this list is public.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
Baidol on

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Casters to Masters was quite entertaining! MrX said that should this keep going they'll get OWL players on to give advice and I can only imagine how well that will go.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmZrs7lg5U

Next Thursday is a 2 hour livestream with the dev team, hosted by Uber, focusing on PvP content for OW2! Should get some good looks at new stuff.

• Options
    June Joust information, including hero pools, is out.

Damage: Tracer and Sombra
    Tank: Reinhardt
    Support: Zenyatta

Pick'ems still not open yet.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm sad to see Tracer go. She's one of the more exciting heroes to watch. I wonder if Rein will mean double shield on King's Row and other classic Rein maps.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    No Tracer or Sombra tells me we're probably gonna be seeing a LOT of Ashe/Echo for this next tournament, which I don't hate

• Options
    June Joust Pick'ems are active. Week 1 for the West Region all look straight forward. The East Region has Chengdu against both Shanghai and Phili so that should be fire.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    there are a few toilet bowl matches (lookin at you, charge vs spark) but yeah, i think clear winners for the most part. this month's matches has shock v fuel so it'll be interesting to see if shock have figured their shit out yet.

• Options
    Hey, maybe Spark will be on the upswing with the coaching changes!

• Options
    I mean we just saw that matchup.
    Spark won 3-0 by way of Shy absolutely thrashing on Ashe.

• Options
    After reviewing the tape, I must agree that Misc did not get me killed by booping that Reinhardt and I fell afoul of the vacuum.

https://youtu.be/Torj-uKlJ9I

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    That...that is some physics going on right there.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    tbh I'm starting to get a little low on Chengdu, they should obviously beat the lower-tier teams but I feel like they're gonna start falling off against even/better teams as the season goes on. The hero bans for this tourney shouldn't affect them too much, but the same thing goes for most of the other east teams, barring maybe Shanghai. No Zen for Izayaki, no Sombra for Lip, and no Tracer for Fleta/Lip is definitely gonna hurt them.

• Options
    Also this is working against my own self-interest, but I ran the numbers and for the 46 non-tournament matches played so far, only 7 ended up with a 3-2 scoreline. And while most of the matches that went 3-2 weren't too surprising, a couple of them were kind of oddball, and a lot of matches you would expect to go 3-2 definitely didn't. So if you're trying to play the stats, predicting a 3-2 game is a pretty low reward gamble. 3-0 and 3-1 games are almost perfectly split at 20 and 19 so statistically those are much safer bets.

I didn't include the tourney results because those should be much closer by design, but even then it was a pretty even score split (the finals ended 4-2 but if it ended after 3 wins it would've been 3-1 Dallas).

• Options
    See, you say that, but I've decided to ignore it and pick six 3-2's anyway.

We'll see if I recalibrate next Thursday.

• Options
    Overwatch Anniversary event goes live in two days on May 18.

Party on the payload!

Overwatch Anniversary begins May 18.

[video of Overwatch characters dancing some wearing new event skins]

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Disco Baptiste is amazing and I want it

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Drone not a disco ball. Time to riot.

• Options
    June Joust starts on the 21st, remember to make your pick'ems, they're now open

Also they're doing a stream on the 20th about OWL2 stuff, apparently including previewing gameplay

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I couldn't help myself and took a peek at your predictions @mightyjongyo and we've only predicted one match differently as far as who wins goes, so it's all gonna come down to the score lines

which I hate. so stressful!

• Options
    I couldn't help myself and took a peek at your predictions @mightyjongyo and we've only predicted one match differently as far as who wins goes, so it's all gonna come down to the score lines

which I hate. so stressful!

oooh interesting, i thought maybe you wouldn't be as high on the gladiators as me! I'm pretty bad at scorelines though...

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Oh sorry, I was only talking about week one. Thanks to my compulsive need to fiddle with score lines I'm forcing myself not to make predictions until the week of, in order to make one swift decision with all the information possible (especially with hero pools in play).

That being said, I'm definitely a glads apologist and fully expect them to go at least 3-1, and will be betting on a 4-0 performance unless Atlanta/Boston really show me something this week.

I'm also prepared for them to break my heart and somehow go 1-3, but I could never bring myself to actually predict that.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    How are you seeing each other's picks? When I click your names it shows the tournament cycles but nothing under them.

• Options
    You have to click on the name and then the tournament.

• Options
    When I do that it just closes their little window.

• Options
    For me, it closes the name, but eventually goes to their picks. The site is just slow.

• Options
    Weird. I guess I've just been inpatient and immediately clicked something else.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Mmmmmmmm Jongyo looks to be the only one high on Boston against the Defiant.

Baidol on
  • Options
    Yeah boston/defiant is a hard one for me...and will probably bite me in the ass lol. But!! I think towards the end of last stage they looked much better, and I do think they come across as much more hungry than defiant. Admittedly I havent put much thought into how hero pools affects teams though.

• Options
    The hero pools probably favour Boston somewhat. Valentine doesn't have to flex to Tracer anymore, which has been one of their weaknesses.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    tbh I have very little faith in Toronto and think Boston could definitely upset them, but it would still be an upset and Boston hasn't shown me enough to give them good enough odds to bet on it

the hero pool does help Boston a bit but it's basically a wash for Toronto so I still have to favor them, even if only slightly

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    As a follow-up to last night, I think this clip shows Symmetra turrets automatically attacking me when I am cloaked but detected by Widow's Infrared.

https://youtu.be/Q5pyjlHAldA

Second, new clip show before OWL tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/56T4JYIWl_U

• Options
    I know it’s a recording but the motion passed Baidol. No more whispering into the mic.

• Options
    I wanna get off Mr. Baidol's Wild ASMR Ride

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

You have to be a patreon subscriber to get off

• Options
    Isn't that what OnlyFans is for?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Kana wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »

You have to be a patreon subscriber to get off

Unsubscribe ServoFacts?

SixshotStriker on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The Overwatch 2 PVP livestream is today in the first real news since Blizzcon, which didn't have much in the way of news.

Game on!

Overwatch 2 Developer PVP Livestream begins tomorrow at 12:00 PM PST.

Sparkles [link to YouTube]
    Sparkles [link to Twitch]

Baidol on
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Ugh, it's official. Overwatch 2 will be 5v5. Really not a fan of that.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    updating as it goes:

OW2 is going to 5v5, only 1 tank slot, heroes obviously getting rebalanced because of it. Tanks stronger, healing probably getting reduced.
    showing off the New York map, it's really pretty
    The UI in general is much cleaner and minimal
    ult charge rate seems reduced

Kana on