As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Job thread

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Somebody from my old company just asked for my signature so they can use it to sign off some inventorship forms for patent applications

But I've no idea what they're claiming I invented and from the list of co-inventors I'm still none the wiser

I'm pretty sure their contracts forbid them from sending me the invention disclosures too.

Fun times

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So one of the interesting things moving forward, at least within my school, is the division of attitudes towards technology in education.

I subbed for a class of seniors two weeks ago and when asked how things were different from when I attended school I told them we had no universal Chromebook access, so we had to haul textbooks around in backpacks. And those students were furious that they weren't allowed to do the same.

"You want 50 pound backpacks?"
    "I mean that sounds rough but when I get home I know my textbook doesn't need WiFi access to work."

Which is a very realistic analysis of their situation. They are very aware of the issues of technological/digital equity in that a lot of homes don't have reliable internet.

This is combined with my talks with one of our science teachers who after a year of remote learning is swinging hard back towards a majority physical classwork (and so is half of her department apparently).

The burnout of technology as a result of remote learning is going to be a very interesting thing to observe in the soon approaching future for education.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    A think a lot of teachers have finally had to deal with the bullshit barely functional software that has been required for a lot of students and are learning how shitty it is too.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It’s also about having kids having the option to choose when to use their technology.

A lot of senior kids bring computers to school but use the books at home because at school they often only really need the question pages at school, but at home they need to revise and go back and forth on the workbook.

Saying that, plenty of kids are idiots and use them to fuck around because they are a distraction device.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My daughter was using Google translate for her Spanish work. I got her a couple of physical dictionaries, because she needs to actually learn it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Somebody from my old company just asked for my signature so they can use it to sign off some inventorship forms for patent applications

But I've no idea what they're claiming I invented and from the list of co-inventors I'm still none the wiser

I'm pretty sure their contracts forbid them from sending me the invention disclosures too.

Fun times

Sounds like they want you to sign some legal documents without you being able to look at them first. Ask to speak to legal about that.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I wonder what they do at a gardening business when they need to keep someone on the payroll but not have them come to work.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Make them do dirt inventories on excel in a little office.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I wonder what they do at a gardening business when they need to keep someone on the payroll but not have them come to work.

Nothing. It's perfectly acceptable for gardening business workers to be plotting something.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Fun times
    P

Sounds like they want you to sign some legal documents without you being able to look at them first. Ask to speak to legal about that.

Sort of.

I just find it funny that we need to dance through NDAs because I am no longer authorised to look at something I developed and also I can't remember

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Once when I was a projectionist/manager at the movie theater, and working as an Easy Tech at Staples, I worked a 76 hour week at the theater and a 30 hour week at Staples.

I only stopped by home twice the whole week to shower. I ate nothing but popcorn and slept in my car. It was awful. I was working 9AM-2 or 3PM at Staples and then from 4-3AMish at the theater if I recall right.

Oh and once when I was a third key manager at GameStop in Muncie when I was going to Ball State my boss told me if I left for Thanksgiving break he'd fire me. Anyway the closed the dorms so I slept in my car in the mall parking lot the whole week. Didn't get to see my family for the holiday because I couldn't afford to drive there and back for a night, and I had a friend in town who let me use their shower.

No job is worth all that and I wish I knew that then

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    TheStig wrote: »
    A think a lot of teachers have finally had to deal with the bullshit barely functional software that has been required for a lot of students and are learning how shitty it is too.

This is why I pull everything I want to use from the textbook’s digital site and recreate it in Google docs and forms. The textbook website is…the absolute worst. And lunched very broken at the beginning of the school year. I also always test everything I want to use and make sure it’s mobile-friendly. If it’s not, I find something else to use. For me, though, I prefer digital in so many ways because it makes grading writing so much easier. So, so much easier. Ultimately, though, for a lot of things going forward, I’m going to offer both and let students do what works best for them. It seems like the most workable way to go.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Once when I was a projectionist/manager at the movie theater, and working as an Easy Tech at Staples, I worked a 76 hour week at the theater and a 30 hour week at Staples.

I only stopped by home twice the whole week to shower. I ate nothing but popcorn and slept in my car. It was awful. I was working 9AM-2 or 3PM at Staples and then from 4-3AMish at the theater if I recall right.

Oh and once when I was a third key manager at GameStop in Muncie when I was going to Ball State my boss told me if I left for Thanksgiving break he'd fire me. Anyway the closed the dorms so I slept in my car in the mall parking lot the whole week. Didn't get to see my family for the holiday because I couldn't afford to drive there and back for a night, and I had a friend in town who let me use their shower.

I've had to do 60-70 hour weeks every once in while for migrations and such. I don't know how any human being could have a positive mental state working that all the time.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Wait, do kids need to use a textbook publisher's website to access and read the textbooks? Like, on some shitty webpage where they probably have some shitty page flip animation that you can't turn off?

I was (perhaps foolishly) assuming the kids just received PDFs of each book

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Wait, do kids need to use a textbook publisher's website to access and read the textbooks? Like, on some shitty webpage where they probably have some shitty page flip animation that you can't turn off?

Yes. They have to have log ins and such as well.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Oh god what the fuck

I hope all the kids are just torrenting pdf copies of the books instead of putting up with that horseshit

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

I've had to do 60-70 hour weeks every once in while for migrations and such. I don't know how any human being could have a positive mental state working that all the time.

The small company my sister works for got bought by one of the big consulting firms and now she's been put on a project that is requiring like 60 hour work weeks to get it all done.

She is not happy.

Kamiro on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh god what the fuck

I hope all the kids are just torrenting pdf copies of the books instead of putting up with that horseshit

Hahahaha. High school kids don't know how to do that these days.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    What you didn't think the textbook publishers were going to just make it easy to access their stuff online. Might make it easy to rip it into an easier to access, and disseminate, format.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Today at lunch with some coworkers it was shared that the mother I was dealing with continued her irritation on another staff member, including an email in all caps where she disrespected the teacher. This escalated to the vice principal (the same one from my story) verbally snapping three times at that teacher.

So, that's not good.

Another teacher shared that another parent was angry at her, so the parent emailed the principal on Saturday to complain that the teacher wasn't getting back to her. So our principal, in his infinite wisdom, gave out my coworker's personal email to the parent.

Our admin team seems dedicated to just wounding any professional trust between them and the teaching staff right here at the last week of school.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Another teacher shared that another parent was angry at her, so the parent emailed the principal on Saturday to complain that the teacher wasn't getting back to her. So our principal, in his infinite wisdom, gave out my coworker's personal email to the parent.

Boy, that's... anger inducing.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Our admin team seems dedicated to just ending any professional trust between them and the teaching staff right here at the last week of school.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Madican wrote: »
    What you didn't think the textbook publishers were going to just make it easy to access their stuff online. Might make it easy to rip it into an easier to access, and disseminate, format.

Usually you can't just rip it into another format. They textbooks are in some proprietary app or web app where you'd have to screenshot every single page and when you can't get the students to interact with the text to begin with you better believe they aren't going to spend the time ripping it into a PDF.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If my employer gave out my personal e-mail address, I would likely resort to vandalism at their personal property.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sounds like it's time for a personal-but-only-used-for-memes-at-work e-mail. And also don't tell anyone your real actual e-mail.

sig.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Zonny do you guys have a union that can intervene and do...something...on your behalf? Your admin situation sounds pretty dire, that sucks friend.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Zonny do you guys have a union that can intervene and do...something...on your behalf? Your admin situation sounds pretty dire, that sucks friend.

I have to imagine we save the union for the big ticket items (which is understandable, to me).

• Options

Pshhhhhh why do a pdf/regular ebook when you can do an interactive ebook?

Ours doesn’t have a page-flip animation or anything. In fact, on paper (haha) it should be a pretty workable site, but there’s too many steps to get to things now. It used to be really simple and bookshelf-based. And now it’s…not. The helpful thing ( and why I liked using it instead of the low-quality paper ones we have) is the fillable answer spaces. But again, Forms is better because with the textbook, I have to switch to each kids “book” and then scroll down to the answer section. I can’t just shift between student answers. I do lose easy access to the audio reading files, but my students do know how to get to the textbook site for that if necessary.

Basically, the people who designed this definitely never tried to use it for more than five minutes because they would have scrapped the whole thing in frustration after taking 5 steps just to get to the dang ebook.

• Options

Usually you can't just rip it into another format. They textbooks are in some proprietary app or web app where you'd have to screenshot every single page and when you can't get the students to interact with the text to begin with you better believe they aren't going to spend the time ripping it into a PDF.

Yeah that's what I said

• Options
    Honestly, if you could easily just rip it into a pdf, it would be the teachers doing it first.

• Options

Yeah that's what I said

I still have a month and a half of not working. You'd can't expect me to give a 100% to the job thread.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Today at lunch with some coworkers it was shared that the mother I was dealing with continued her irritation on another staff member, including an email in all caps where she disrespected the teacher. This escalated to the vice principal (the same one from my story) verbally snapping three times at that teacher.

So, that's not good.

Our admin team seems dedicated to just wounding any professional trust between them and the teaching staff right here at the last week of school.

What the fuck is...why should the teacher respond on a Saturday?
    I'd go on a personal crusade to put the principals e-mail and info basically everywhere.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What is with the current thing of parents instantly siding with their kids and going after teachers? Is this GenXers over-correcting for how utterly shite their own parents were?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Not a teacher but I would assume teachers hear far more from parents who complain about their kid being mistreated than from parents who don't give a shit. So there's some bias in that.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    True but every teacher I know has like, multiple sets of parents who get up in their face if Perfect Widdle Baby Angel ever gets below a 120 A+++, which I do not remember ever being the case when I was in school outside of one set of shit parents in my entire elementary school (and none at all in high school).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    What is with the current thing of parents instantly siding with their kids and going after teachers? Is this GenXers over-correcting for how utterly shite their own parents were?

It isn't really a "current" thing. My parents were teachers from the 60s' into the early 00's, and its been a thing forever. It's typically a parent to parent thing though, and some correlation to the kids already being shitty to start.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So our principal, in his infinite wisdom, gave out my coworker's personal email to the parent.

IANAL or anything, but giving out personal contact info like that feels like a legal issue. Like this is a perfect example of why unions (I assume teacher unions included) have lawyers.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

It isn't really a "current" thing. My parents were teachers from the 60s' into the early 00's, and its been a thing forever. It's typically a parent to parent thing though, and some correlation to the kids already being shitty to start.

Same, my grandparents were teachers, and had the same problem as my parents who were teachers did, and my cousins who are currently teachers experience the same thing

70 years minimum of parents siding with their awful children

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Slight update on my partner's struggle to have her ex-employer formally end her employment after she has ended up on govt disability allowance:

1. She's getting a monthly stipend from an insurance fund from her employer, so that's nice.
    2. All this crap is way too obscure for any regular Joe to know about. Thankfully the Union is helping her.

So they calculated her last payment slip and found a ~500 Fun Bucks discrepancy, so that's money she's still owed. They also sent a strongly worded legal letter to HR telling them to do their job. My partner is still due a lot of money (on top of the 500) and if they're just doing what they're supposed to they can get most of that money back from the national government. However: if they continue to be idiots about this, we'll have to go to court and if a judge in our favor: they can not claim that money back from the government.

My partner said she was happy reading that letter from the union lawyer. She really wants to leave this ex-employer behind her and it's just mean that HR wasn't proactive about this. I kinda wish this is going to cost them $Texas, but considering the size of the company they could fuck over 10,000 people like this and the loss in revenue would still be less than a percentile.

• Options
    So...

Our big boss has been placed on Administrative Time Off effective immediately and is not expected to return to work. Translating from state worker into English this means he's been forcibly separated from his place of work, still being paid in the meantime, pending an investigation that will decide if he should be fired or have criminal charges pressed and fired. Gardening leave without the relaxation, for some relevant timing.

So that's my Tuesday excitement.