As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Baby Targ, Doot Doo etc. (Lower Decks S2 + Prodigy S1 + Disco S4 in spoilers)

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Netflix' new series Arcane is the best recent example of amazing worldbuilding and a serialized plot that doesn't lose focus on the characters
    My hottake that may be inapproriate for the Star Trek thread, BUT WE'RE ALL FRIENDS HERE RIGHT?

/eyeballs you all

I think Arcane is the best show of 2021.

That's a funny way to spell "Lower Decks Season Two"

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Mugato episode clearly disqualifies LDs2 from competition

Not that I've seen Arcane or finished any series from 2021 except LDs2... and maybe Falcon and Winter Soldier. Was that this year?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

troi's expression kills me evertyime!

Chugging along season 1, episode 9 has Q back with a gift for RIKER! I really enjoy this episode, especially the ending. Yar continues to be horribly abused and i am really feeling bad for the role she was given. At the end, Picard "wins" because he made a bet with Q and somehow invokes the other Q to enforce the ruling...However, part of me kind of believes that ALL of this is just "our" Q being a showman and pretending to have been defeated by Picard, as he pushes the humans further and further along.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Mugato episode clearly disqualifies LDs2 from competition

Not that I've seen Arcane or finished any series from 2021 except LDs2... and maybe Falcon and Winter Soldier. Was that this year?

Thats an awesome episode. Everyone walks away a little disappointed

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Honestly it says a lot that the ‘adult animation’ looking budget comedy gets mentioned even in the same standing as a tent pole release six years in the making.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    hz5v1mm91kem.jpg

is that from a Khan-i-fur tree? I do love the Wreath of Khan though.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    that makes me want a lower deck version of a "not christmas" episode.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Latest Voyager Episode: Kes turns two, Neelix doesn't trust her, the ship folds in on itself so no one can get to any part of the bridge and comms go down!

I really liked seeing Tuvok in charge. He quickly assessed the phenomenon, decided to act, and moved forward. It was cool to see Vulcan logic in command.

By that point in time, Tuvok has had time to create a master plan to handle any situation:
    1. If Neelix is in sight, vaporize Neelix.
    2. Save the ship.
    3. Save some of the crew.

And on point 3 he already had the whole crew ranked by how mad Janeway would be if they died, like a pet owner who secretly knows which cat they're going to grab first in a fire.
    https://youtu.be/Mkuw7vdi-VA
    "Smellycat, Smellycat.
    Harry!"

"Obviously not their favorite pet.."

Actually I think Harry is Janeway's favorite pet, and she certainly wouldn't let him die in a fire. Be burned and suffer permanent and painful damage, oh yes that would be perfect, but dying would make her less able to torment him.

This is why Seven ranks last, she is the least likely wriggle piteously upon being poked with a stick and therefore deserves death.

Just a reminder...
    Harry Kim is not even from the official dimension version. One Janeway sent him (and Naomi Wildman) through a spatial scission (Deadlock 2x21), because the other Janeway had lost hers, and Janeway was willing to sacrifice her entire crew as long as Harry was able to survive to get demeaned and tortured in the other dimension.

Also, his "silvered" clone, was the last person to know that their entire existence as a race was a failure, with his final act (Course:Oblivion 5x18).

Really, the only time I can recall he succeeds, is in Timeless (5x08), where he manages to stop the death of the entire crew by sending a message back in time, which kills Future Harry, and is mostly unrecognized in doing so, and that future timeline has him die a traitor.

That's also before you look at the long list of his romantic life being the. fucking. worst. But given he also married Linnis Paris, which is squick as fuck, he deserved all the other shit.
    He truly is/was the worst cursed.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    so, when are new prodigy episodes coming out?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Latest Voyager Episode: Kes turns two, Neelix doesn't trust her, the ship folds in on itself so no one can get to any part of the bridge and comms go down!

I really liked seeing Tuvok in charge. He quickly assessed the phenomenon, decided to act, and moved forward. It was cool to see Vulcan logic in command.

By that point in time, Tuvok has had time to create a master plan to handle any situation:
    2. Save the ship.

And on point 3 he already had the whole crew ranked by how mad Janeway would be if they died, like a pet owner who secretly knows which cat they're going to grab first in a fire.
    "Smellycat, Smellycat.
    Harry!"

Actually I think Harry is Janeway's favorite pet, and she certainly wouldn't let him die in a fire. Be burned and suffer permanent and painful damage, oh yes that would be perfect, but dying would make her less able to torment him.

This is why Seven ranks last, she is the least likely wriggle piteously upon being poked with a stick and therefore deserves death.

Just a reminder...
    Harry Kim is not even from the official dimension version. One Janeway sent him (and Naomi Wildman) through a spatial scission (Deadlock 2x21), because the other Janeway had lost hers, and Janeway was willing to sacrifice her entire crew as long as Harry was able to survive to get demeaned and tortured in the other dimension.

Also, his "silvered" clone, was the last person to know that their entire existence as a race was a failure, with his final act (Course:Oblivion 5x18).

Really, the only time I can recall he succeeds, is in Timeless (5x08), where he manages to stop the death of the entire crew by sending a message back in time, which kills Future Harry, and is mostly unrecognized in doing so, and that future timeline has him die a traitor.

That's also before you look at the long list of his romantic life being the. fucking. worst. But given he also married Linnis Paris, which is squick as fuck, he deserved all the other shit.

Kim was only married to Linnis Paris in an alternate future that Kes erased when she was sent back in time.

Will Riker: "My mother-in-law is an annoying middle-aged Karen trying to sleep with my boss."
    Tom Paris: "My mother in law is a rage-filled Klingon waiting for me in the afterlife."
    Harry Kim: "My mother-in-law time-traveled to erase her daughter from existence rather than let me marry her".

sig.gif
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    so, when are new prodigy episodes coming out?

January 6. It is apparently getting a 20 episode season, though, which will take a while if they keep taking breaks every five.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Any reason Prodigy is being drip fed like this? I thought I was super behind after missing it for a few weeks but I was only off two episodes.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

2. Save the ship.

"Smellycat, Smellycat.
    Harry!"

Just a reminder...

Kim was only married to Linnis Paris in an alternate future that Kes erased when she was sent back in time.

Will Riker: "My mother-in-law is an annoying middle-aged Karen trying to sleep with my boss."
    Tom Paris: "My mother in law is a rage-filled Klingon waiting for me in the afterlife."
    Harry Kim: "My mother-in-law time-traveled to erase her daughter from existence rather than let me marry her".

I mean.

Fair play, Kes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Any reason Prodigy is being drip fed like this? I thought I was super behind after missing it for a few weeks but I was only off two episodes.

Kids shows typically go on hiatus during the holidays since everyone is traveling or watching Christmas movies or whatever

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Since it's primarily a Nickelodeon show and not a Paramount+ exclusive I'm guessing it's spread out to cover their normal season run.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Took me a solid five minutes to get the Khan Wreath joke, but it was worth it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Voyager writers, breaking into a sweat about not repeating the tng joke of holodecks constantly breaking:

Aha! What if it’s not a holodeck episode, just instead another one where someone’s caught in their own reality, delusions or situation?!

Seriously I think there’s like, four of them so far in season 2.

• Options
    Voyager writers, breaking into a sweat about not repeating the tng joke of holodecks constantly breaking:

Aha! What if it’s not a holodeck episode, just instead another one where someone’s caught in their own reality, delusions or situation?!

"Aliens caught in the holodeck go to war against the holodeck characters. That's different, right?"

• Options
    Off the top of my head recently is:

Doctor trapped in holodeck thinks he’s real.

Harry Kim gets timeline’d back to earth and solo resets it.

And Janeway being at the vanguard of a psychic invasion/delusion.

They really are way more into isolation and slightly horror themes than the other shows I’ve watched.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

"Aliens caught in the holodeck go to war against the holodeck characters. That's different, right?"

yes, but that's BRIDE OF CHAOTICA, which was awesome.

and also about minimizing use of the bridge set while they fixed the fire damage

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

yes, but that's BRIDE OF CHAOTICA, which was awesome.

and also about minimizing use of the bridge set while they fixed the fire damage

The production team also got to save on Kate Mulgrew's catering for the week. Because she and her guest for the episode ate ALL the scenery during the shooting.

• Options
    Is Seska an isekai protagonist: the forum thread with 999 pages before being sealed away.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Deja Q is a one episode isekai.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The "isekai" genre is a whole lot older than you think. Like, The Wizard of Oz is technically isekai.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The "isekai" genre is a whole lot older than you think. Like, The Wizard of Oz is technically isekai.

Yeah most of the joke of ‘is this isakei’ is based on petty arguments about how much weird anime stuff needs to be in those plot lines that they aren’t just airport dime novels or whatever.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Is Seska an isekai protagonist: the forum thread with 999 pages before being sealed away.

Thrown Across The Galaxy To Become the Villainess
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Deja Q is a one episode isekai.

I Became the Male Lead's Best Friend

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

The important bits after being thrown to another reality are:

1) Makes unfair use of 'real world' information. Which she does, as a Cardy, Marquis and Starfleet spy.

2) Does some creepy anime bullshit. Which she does by using KO'd Chakotay's DNA for a baby.

But also she's genuinely kinda fun. Cardassian Spies it turns out are just as good as the SWTOR agent because it's fun to have a dirty, stupid fascist mugging it up on camera with some charm.

• Options
    edited December 2021

The important bits after being thrown to another reality are:

1) Makes unfair use of 'real world' information. Which she does, as a Cardy, Marquis and Starfleet spy.

2) Does some creepy anime bullshit. Which she does by using KO'd Chakotay's DNA for a baby.

But also she's genuinely kinda fun. Cardassian Spies it turns out are just as good as the SWTOR agent because it's fun to have a dirty, stupid fascist mugging it up on camera with some charm.

The main downside to this interpretation is that an isekai hero starts with small victories and then manages over time to keep building and have everything, as if by "magic", go exactly the way they wanted it to go, until eventually they have an invincible legend. Even when your decisions make no sense to anyone else, and even when one decision seems to contradict another, in reality the decisions don't because you have meta-knowledge the other characters do not. The main thing is that your story ending can't be death if you're the lead in an isekai (so no to Seska), although depending on the setting you may have the opportunity for a few "do overs" if you don't get it right the first time, so you die but come back as many times as necessary.

So viewed in that light Seska is not the isekai protag, but Janeway absolutely is, wowzers.

Thrown Across the Galaxy to Become the Villianess (But It's Janeway)

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I almost posted a huge spoiler about her baby before I remembered there's a bit of a gap between Seska episodes. There's literally like four plot twists with that damn kid before Voyager's done with the Kazon.

Hevach on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Man. On a whole I don't find Discovery very good but I'll be honest and say I always do really enjoy it while I'm watching it. Maybe it's not great Star Trek, but there's a lot of good in there to enjoy regardless.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Man. On a whole I don't find Discovery very good but I'll be honest and say I always do really enjoy it while I'm watching it. Maybe it's not great Star Trek, but there's a lot of good in there to enjoy regardless.

It works really hard to be aggressively "ok".

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

It works really hard to be aggressively "ok".

I enjoy it more than that

• Options
    I like how Neelix and Quark are both like, scuzzy merchants of a bit of action.

Except while Quark’s all show and a huge coward Neelix is played 100% straight. Dude catapults himself into danger with glee.

• Options
    Neelix is parked right on top of that first peak of the Dunning Krueger curve. Quark is climbing up the second curve. He knows the confidence and bravado sells, but also knows getting killed is distinctly unprofitable.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

I still think it's a great experiment in updating Trek and really enjoy it. That said, it's been a little rocky.

I know we're only a few epis into S4, but I'm finding it to be a lackluster season so far. Between the end of S2 righting the ship from a rough start through S3 setting up a whole new show, I think they spent a huge amount of their creative energy and just don't really know where to go from here.

At one point in the most recent episode, one of the characters is describing this season's Big Bad to Command and says something like 'this thing could be anywhere and go anywhere at any time and we don't know what it is or how to stop it.'

I think that kinda explains the production right now. I'm hoping for the best, though!

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    So far all Discovery has done for me this season is reinforce that it's outright cruel to film teenagers in 4K

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    More Voyager bits:

Tuvix should die, it sucks but it's the correct choice.

Conversely it kinda sucks that Crewman Suders gets a clean 'noble death' out rather than exploring starfleet interacting with that kinda sociopathy/issue. Really well acted.

In Star Trek Adventures news: My group went with the plot of their Klingon captain being called to honour a debt that requires his federation ship to fufil. So I gotta come up with one of those that:

A) Is reasonableish to pursue in the Dominion war

B) prompts something more interesting than just a raw combat session (though obviously, this kinda thing leans towards fight times)

C) A Starfleet feeling kinda response to a captain on an exchange program asking to use a ship for such 'unofficial' duties.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    They should have owned Tuvix and at literally every time it would put more than one life in danger to save two lives Janeway just locks phasers on the one

override367 on
  • Options
    Well the thing that makes it different is it's a medical condition neither men consented to.

Locutus equally would protest being de-borgified. Is it unacceptable to kill Locutus to restore Picard?

This discussion has been closed.